1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Hit gym this morning:

Bench: 45x12, 135x12, 225x10, 245x8 265x8, 285x3, 135x12
    Rotary cuff - in 50x10, 10, 10
    Rotary cuff - out 45x10, 10, 10
    Cable fly press - 60sx10, 10, 10
    BW dips - 12, 12, 12

10 minutes on elliptical.

And that was that.

Jaer
    had black bean burgers last night. They were delicious!

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Fuuucccckkkkk!

macdiver likes this.
  3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Wow. :bb:. Nice Benches. Good to see there are still some strong people here (that is what brought me here to start).

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

So clearly I was not some one who intrigued you to sign up. :lol: In all seriousness, Jaer is one strong dude.

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Thanks, everybody!

I like having the equipment of the HAC. Just need to refine my schedule.

H and I were going to do a Valetine's Day thing tonight, but family crisis arose yesterday, and it kind of blew everything up.

It is one of her younger brothers' bdays today, so we figured we would go over there for dinner, maybe cake, on the earlier side. Possible to do things early when her mom isn't around (recall she is on tour with the two youngest children, the youngest being in a traveling musical; think they are in Texas at the moment). Well, shit got crazy.

In brief:
    - The oldest living-at-home sister had a crazy-bad sinus infection and had to go to the hospital.
    - FiL's father goes to the hospital with some lung infection, I think, and there isn't much they can do, and it looks bad.
    - Teenage sister has a jerk BF (not really sure how far they've gone, but seems like too far for being 14); he told her hers boobs were too small and she needed to wear tighter cloths, and that (maybe among other things, like him cheating on her and other drama), sent her off on a little self-cutting episode resulted in her needing to go the hospital. It was something she had done in the past, but they thought it was over. The wounds aren't bad--not deep--but apparently there are a lot of them, old and new.

All of that happened yesterday afternoon. H left work to help her dad deal. Both sisters were back home late last night. H stayed at her parents' house last night so that her dad could be in the hospital with his father. With everyone kind of scattered, the older bros and myself are planning to take the birthday boy out for dinner so that at least his bday gets some kind of acknowledgement.

Insanity Vid today.

Jaer
    might be tasked with beating up a 14 year old. He's OK with that.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Sending vibes that everyone mentally and physically heals.

7. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

That is a lot of drama for one night. I hope everything works out for everyone involved.

8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Ended up being an even crazier weekend.

A bunch of us took birthday boy out for dinner Friday night. Saturday, we had a bit of a lazy day (though I did go to systema), then went out for dinner with my coworker, a thing planned many months ago. So two dinners out in a row--an oddity for us.

That night, H's sister who lives in Washington, D.C. was driving up to visit everyone (considering how everyone's been). She wasn't feeling well, had said she was going to cancel, then decided to muscle through (ballerina's :rolleyes:). She gets about 45 minutes from home and is so sick she had to pull over and is...evacuating...on the side of the road. She ended up pulling into a Wawa and was so weak she couldn't drive. Her BF was teaching a dance class, so he wasn't answering his phone. H and I thought we were going to have to drive 2 hours down to find her. Fortunately, BF gpot the message and got her to the ER--norovirus.

So we were up late Saturday night worried about her and waiting for updates.

Sunday, after sleeping in WAY late for us, we went to H's parents' house and made dinner for everyone.

Monday, we both had off for President's day. Still slept in kind of late and just had a lazy day at home. I went to systema last night (didn't feel like it, but was glad I did) and she went to her sewing class she's taking with a friend. Oy, what a weekend.

Everyone is doing well-ish. Improving, I should say. And my MiL flew home for the week with the young ones. My FiL had to cancel his business trip to Cozumel; it's a small martial arts school owners' gather/workshop he's been attending for years. He would have left yesterday, but there is just too much going on that even with MiL back home for the week, he couldn't really justify not being home.

Hit the gym this morning. Was tough getting out of bed (the lazy continues!), but I eventually did:

Wide grip pull-downs: 120x12, 160x10, 200x8, 240x5, 120x12
    V-grib row: 100x12, 140x10, 180x8, 220x6, 100x12
    Rotary cuff - in 50x10, 10, 10
    Rotary cuff - out 45x10, 10, 10
    Back Ext - BWx12, +25x12, +45x12
    EZ bar curls: 30x12, 60x10, 80x8, 30x12
    10 minutes on the elliptical to finish.

Jaer
    is fasting today.

#48 Jaer, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Glad everyone is improving. Whew, that's a lot going on.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

That is a lot going on. Hopefully everything will work out fine.

11. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :scared:

12. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

Jaer
    is fasting today.

You fast the whole day?

Hope everything works out with your wife's family.

13. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Eat-Stop-Eat style, so only a 24 hour break between dinners (eat at 6:00 pm one night, don't eat until 6:00 pm the next night).

Thanks! IT seems to have slowly calmed. Though I think H and my sleep schedules were thrown enough to really affect our work week. I didn't do an Insanity vid yesterday and was just drained--didn't want to go to systema, so I skipped it in order to have a longer break at night and go to bed early. Was in bed by like 9:30, 10, which is super early for me. Much needed.

Hit the gym before work today:

Trap Deadlift: 45x10, 135x10, 225x8, 305x8, 355x6
    Full squat: 45x8, 95x8, 145x8, 195x8
    Curl machine: 30x8, 90x8, 125x8
    Leg Extension: 70x8, 90x8, 110x8
    10 mins on Treadmill: 2 mins @ 3 mph, 4 @ 5 mph, 1 @ 6mph, 1 @ 7mph, 2 @ 3 mph

Trap deadlifts, I was going to go for more sets, but when I went to do 355 again, I didn't feel it so I let it be. The squats were full as-low-as-I-could-go full 1 second stop at bottom and at top. Everything was very cardio intense, and my legs feel wobbily. So walking tomorrow will be fun!

Had lunch out with coworkers (one of them had her last day with us today). Tomorrow after work, going to VA with H and some friends for the weekend. Should be a good time; relaxing. And I'll get to see the pond, which was fixed over winter is once again retaining water. Apparently it is bigger than ever, and not even full yet.

Jaer
    might do some skeet shooting! Weather should be in the 70s, so good time for some out door activities like a hike or shooting.

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

It was a fun weekend, but definitely not a healthy one! Not too bad, but not on point. A fitting end to a lackluster week.

Monday, work was busy and crazy and time-sucking, so I ended up doing a regular Insanity Vid (not a Max), which was probably a good call since I didn't do any Insanity vids last week. 41 minutes of plyo circuits, and it was brutal--but I kept up with them with minimal breaks. Probably one of my best so far.

Went to systema at night.

Today, hit the gym before work:
    Wide grip pull down: 100x12, 120x10, 140x8
    V-bar cable row: 100x12, 120x10, 140x8
    Standing DB Upright Row: 25x12, 35x10, 45x8
    Close chin-up grip pull downs: 200x6, 220x6, 240x4
    T-bar row: +45x12, +90x10, +135x8
    Back extension: 10, 10, 10
    superset with barbell curls: 30x10, 40x10, 50x10
    10 minutes elliptical

Doing my taxes tonight at my parents' house. They buy Turbo Tax every year; makes it nice and easy to get my money.

Tomorrow, should be another Insanity vid and systema. Will weigh in to see how I finished Feb. I imagine it won't be much changed from last time.

Jaer
    came home hungry from systema last night and demolished a lot of pasta and red sauce with sausage. Very tasty, but probably more calories than he needed.

15. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Taxes completed! Big money, big money, no whammies!

I weighed in this morning: 230.4 :blank:

Not too surprised given the weekend--and just some of the previous weekends and work stuff and work stress. My eating was all over the place last week. So yeah, not too surprising. In fact, upon consideration, that's not bad at all....

Anyway, I fired up the My Fitness Pal account just to focus more on the food intake. My workouts are solid (when I can stick to my schedule), so it's the calories I need to watch now. It's been years since I used MFP and it seems they made some changes. I last had my food set as Meal 1, Meal 2, Meal 3, Snacks, Pre-workout (shake), and Post Workout (Shake or meal) -- and I can't seem to change those labels. Any MFP users know? Is that a Premium thing or Premiere or whatever they are trying to upgrade me to?

Anyway, MFP thinks I should have a calorie balance of 1500 calories to lose 2 lbs a week. That actually seems really reasonable to me--I seem to recall them always recommending much too much. So we'll see how that goes.

I'll be hitting the Insanity Vid soon (a Max workout today--I'm sure it will crush me). Systema tonight.

The new gym offers a free fitness assessment and two personal trainer meetings as part of joining. H already did hers; they do some sort of BF% check as part of it. It gave pretty precise readings, even gave muscle/fat per limb. Not sure how accurate, but it seems informative so I'll be scheduling a session. The trainers also showed her some exercises and some circuits; I'm curious what they think they should show me. :lol: But the guy was impressed that H knew the moves (he didn't need to explain a deadlift and the like), that she had good form, and he was surprised how much muscle she had (which fortunately she took as the complement I'm sure it was meant to be; such statements might be taken poorly), so I think it gave her a good confidence boost: She realizes her fitness and strength have improved from all of her training.

Work stress is...mounting. I know I explained in my private journal, but allow me to sum up:

I am a writer/editor (social media, mostly, these days), at a membership non-profit organization for teachers. The current clime in education and the modern view of professional organizations has taken a toll on our membership base and conference attendance. The economic slump from a few years ago (as well as previous mismanagement of funds a decade ago) has devastated the company endowments. All in all, it's an unstable ship.

One of my coworkers left last week. I liked her, she and I worked closely together, and now a bunch of her work is falling on me and others in the team. Nothing new, but we were already stretched pretty thin from cuts last October. Then my boss informed me she is leaving. I really liked her. She was the one who hired me 10 years ago (hit 10 years Feb 1!); she wasn't always my boss as I moved positions, but she has always been an excellent boss and one of the members of executive leadership I really trusted, respected, and thought could turn the company around. The other member of executive leadership I felt similarly about also announced she was leaving this week.

It's not that the ship is going down this year, but the end is on the horizon. I don't think they are leaving because of the financials, but they saw opportunities to further their careers and took it--and getting out of the company is just a HUGE bonus. Most of our executives got significant raises this year when the rest of us didn't even get cost-of-living increases AND had our retirement benefits cut (admittedly, our retirement benefits were a bit ridic, but cutting them like that devalued my annual worth, so I'm making less for the same job)! Ah the things you can find out when you work for a nonprofit! Financial statements including the pay of the top execs have to be published publicly--and it's on our website.

I've moved from casually keeping an eye open for jobs to GET THE EFF OUT, NOW! There isn't really anyone left at this place that I want to be my boss, that I respect and trust enough to look out for me and the team and to be a good guide. And I'm not qualified or experienced enough to be such a team leader--nor do I want that sort of position. And the writing is on the wall, anyway. Time to go.

The one thing that has kept me there for a while--the last few years, really, during all the turmoil--is that I like my coworkers (I have a bunch of true friends there, people I like to hang out with outside the office) and, more potent a reason, I'm not sure what I want to do next with my life.

I'm doing a lot of social media stuff now; I could see myself continuing to do so as a main job function only if I was part of a team; being the solo social person and trying to handle 5 platforms, juggle different messaging, and coodinate various strategies is a little wearing, and I stepped into the job out of a need in the company. I need much more PD to do this properly, and I recognize I'm not thriving in this role--but it's also not my only hat here. I do like the writing the position affords me, and I think I'd like to shift back to my roots as an editor. So right now, writer/editor positions.

Ideally I'll find a place where the subject matter is of interest. Being an editor for a health magazine or fitness site would be good. Being a writer for video games would also be a fun job. Not sure how likely such a position is, especially when I want out sooner rather than later. At least I'm not on a time crunch like "must have new job in 2 months." I don't think they'll be letting me go any time soon, not with these positions vacant (and other coworkers looking--a bunch of my friends/team members are reacting similarly to these developments).

I've been meaning to apply for a freelance copy editor position; one of my coworkers freelances with a publisher. She gets a couple assignments a month, supplementing her income. I've been meaning to apply since Sept, but just keep forgetting to change up my resume and fill in the application. As supplemental work, it wasn't that important. As a foot-in-the-door someplace, little more fire under my ass to do so. After all, if I already have a freelance gig, if shit goes down and I Need Out, Now!, I might be able to freelance 100% of the time and cover my current income. H has good enough benefits that I could potentially switch to her insurance and just do freelance work. Who knows?

Anyway, that's a big chunk of Jaer's Current Life Drama. Fun times! 2017 has been a bear already, and we're only 2 months in. At least I had a pretty chill weekend last week, and I have this vacation in New Orleans in April.

Jaer
    just has a lot going on right now.

16. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That is a lot going on. :eek:

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

My Fitness Pal seems a little weird on exercises. I can search for something in the exercise database and see how many calories I burned, but when I'm actually trying to enter a workout, those things don't come up. Insanity, for instance, is in the database, but won't show in search results.

Also, it says 45 minutes of Insanity is only 235 calories, but 60 minutes of "martial arts" is over 900. WTF? My Insanity work is a lot harder than my systema class.

So I had to play around with values. I figure 15 minutes of every Insanity vid is warm-up, stretching, and cool-down, so [vid time] - 15 = time of vigorous calisthenics (with 30 minutes being over 500 cals -- probably still a little high, but if the elliptical at the gym think I'm burning 10 calories a minute at my cool down pace, I'm OK with that estimate).

Systema I put down as mild calisthenics. 90 minutes = a little over 400 calories, which again seems too high, so I guess I'll just put 60 minutes (365 calories) and figure that is close enough.

Jaer
    realizes there isn't a good way to estimate calories burned, but wow that all seems like so much guess work! How does anyone lose weight by tracking calories in vs. calories out?

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Wishing you good luck in your job search.

I've read a few articles that all state that the calories listed for food in these apps and on the box can be way off (mostly under reported so you are eating more calories) and that the calories burned by exercise is often way over stated. However it is the best information we have so the articles say to use it but make adjustments if it isn't working for you, i.e if eating 2000 calories per mfp and burning 1000 per MFP doesn't result in weight loss then cut calories back a few hundred and see what happens.

#58 macdiver, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  19. Shamie

Shamie Well-Known Member

Good luck on getting a better position.

20. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This. :nod:

I let my FitBit Charge HR track every minute of my day and automatically pass bonus calories off to LoseIt, where I track my food. The equilibrium I've figured out over the past couple months gives me a good idea of when I'm in the fat loss/maintain/gain zones.