1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice decrease in your Friday time in comparison to last week. Also, kudos on all those chin ups.

Have you used any of the recipes from Anova? I can definitely appreciate the merits of the style of cooking, but am still not ready to pull the purchase trigger.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Squat: 45x10, 135x8, 185x8, 225x8,

That is light for you. :bow:

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

At first I was kind of annoyed I didn't decrease the time more, than I realized shaving that much off was pretty stellar.

The chins ended up hurting my shoulder. I've been nursing a sore left shoulder for a long time; I think I aggravate it in my sleep pretty often, which is why it remains an issue. I usually stick to chin ups because it bothers my shoulder less and I had a forearm issue many years ago, and pull-ups were awful for that, but not chins.

I think it was the very wide neutral grip that really messed up my shoulder. I'll need to be more careful about that in the future.

We have, and they all have come out really good. I think most of the recipe have a base in those from the Anova app though we might make a couple changes to flavoring.

Monday, we did a sous vide roast beef, which was cooked at 140 so a perfect medium (I prefer mine a little rarer, but this is how H likes; I'm fine with it), and we've been having roast beef sandwiches for lunches this week. We just need a way to slice the meat thinner.

Tuesday, we sous vided some cod fillets. Found this recipe on a website, and they said you can cook the cod from 106 degrees to 140 degrees and the texture changes. We went for the 140, and it was quite solid and flaky. We'd probably drop the temp to 130 next time to leave it a little less firm.

Last night, we had sous vide pulled pork. We'd gotten a big pork shoulder at Whole Foods, spice rubbed it (recipe in the Anova app), and cooked it for 24 hours at 165. (It said go for 145 if you want to slice it, 165 if you want to pull it). After 24 hours, you re-rub it, and it goes in the oven for an hour at 300 to crisp the outside. It was great! I might try to make a sauce or something from the meat drippings, of which there was a lot! We'll be having pulled pork left over for a bit.

Ha! Yeah, that's light. Maybe not for strict ass-to-grass, as low as I could go, but I can do over 300 to-parallel squats. Not sure how heavy, cause I'm not doing a strength-boosting workout, I'm not pushing my max.

But those 225s WRECKED me! I'm still a bit tight!

No workout yesterday or this morning, but I did go to systema last night, so a bit of extra movement. I think I'll be good for my Insanity tomorrow.

Jaer
    didn't expect this to be a rest week, but there it is!

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Darn you Jaer! With each of your sous vide posts I lean a little bit more to the "get one" side.

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Lots of good eats.

We bought a meat slicer at Costco last fall for slicing roasts and turkey breasts for lunch meat. It still sits in its box unused :o Worse even is that it was not an impulse buy. We discussed and researched our options and yet haven't cooked a roast to slice yet.

Agreed. My new mantra needs to be "I will not buy a sous vide: I will not buy a sous vide; I will ............. :help:

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

No more sous vide stories yet this week.

We did make pizza over the week; did the crust from scratch.

As for workouts, there haven't been many. I did a pretty quick thing Friday, just some benches and rows; I was planning on doing more, but I still had some soreness in my shoulder when doing the benches, so I didn't do much.

Saturday and Monday, I went to systema. Today I did a little shoulder rehab work, with some band rotary cuff work and lots of arm circles.

Band One-Arm Rotary Cuff (In): 12, 12, 12
    super set with Band One-Arm Rotary Cuff (Out) 12, 12, 12

4-way arm circles (small forward, small back, big forward, big back): 20

DB one-arm bent row: 65# 12, 12, 12

DB OH Press: 30# 12, 12, 12
    superset with DB Curls: 30# 12, 12, 12

I remember have should issues years ago, and the rotary cuff work really helped. I will try an Insanity vid tomorrow, but push-ups have been zinging my shoulder (weird that push work is causing issues when I hurt it doing pull-ups....:confused:), so we'll see how that goes and adjust as needed.

Today was going to be a fasting day, until I realized I forgot something at home I need for tonight, hanging with friends. Fortunately, H had the day off (eye appointment in the afternoon). so she brought my bag to office and we had lunch out together. So that was nice.

Jaer
    had nachos and tacos. He might need to make tomorrow a fasting day.

7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

The soud vide ad continues: Made sous vide salmon last night. Very good! 1 hour at 112 degrees, and then H seared it in cooked. Cooked it with olive oil, thyme, and basil, and it had just the right hint of that herby goodness, and was very tender and juicy. Not overcooked, as we realized we tend to do when oven baking it. Figured that out last year sometime and cut the cook time in the oven in half. Sous vide? Perfect every time!

I didn't fast yesterday, cause I was super dedicated to getting in a Max Insanity vid, and doing those on a fasting day just seems really dumb.

So I did Max Plyo. Video 55:10. My time: ~55:10. I didn't time myself because I didn't have time to actually go over an hour (I started the vid at 9:45 and had an 11:00 call; good motivation to be finish on time!). I say ~ cause I still had some streaming issues (Windows 10 sometimes just logs me out when it goes idle, despite me having it set to never go to sleep; so after an hour of my desktop being idle, it logged me off and I couldn't stream the vid to my laptop). So there was a little downtime, but it was close.

Not having longer water breaks, I could tell I wasn't keeping up with the intervals as well as I had before. However, I did well enough that I think I'll try to keep my rest times to their rest times and just slow down my interval work to see how it feels.

I went to systema last night.

I didn't fast today either, cause I woke up with a soar throat. :(

It hasn't gotten any worse during the day, and I'm about to go do my shoulder rehab work (not very cardio intense; just some light, easy lifting to help my shoulders). It could just be a short thing and I wake up feeling fine tomorrow (here's hoping!). If so, another Max Insanity vid tomorrow. If not...well, we'll play that by ear.

Jaer
    is having meatloaf for dinner tonight. Not sous vide. Cause that sounds like an awful idea!

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been doing three sets of YTWLs for my shoulders at the end of each workout. It has completely cleared up all pain from bench press (although the pain returns if I slack off and don't do them for a while.)

Instructions from Alan Thrall at 9:45 in this video if you're interested.

9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

We're going to start this post off with some "continue to read" bait: My father-in-law punched me in the face today. More on that later.

Always interested in anything that helps fix pain! Thanks.

I did my shoulder rehab workout Thursday evening, and that does seem to help. Or at least it doesn't aggravate anything, so healing continues.

Friday, woke up feeling pretty much back to normal, so the "cold" was over quickly. I did the Max Interval Circuit, which is 59:49. I had one water break go a little longer than prescribed cause I answered an email during it, but it was only like 30 seconds over. Again, I felt much more wrecked during the last few rounds and had to stop more than when I take the longer breaks...but still, it felt solid. And I'm not stopping more than the people in the video, so there's that!

Saturday, went to systema class this morning.

And this is where we see if people remember that my father-in-law owns the karate studio at which I take classes and that he sometimes comes to class as well--and he's very good at kicking ass even though he's like 65 and half my size. Seriously, small guy. Probably 5'7" and 140, maybe 150. Kicks like a truck, though, and his punches are pretty solid as well. He didn't actually mean to punch me in the face, but that just happened to be what happened when I was paired with him in class. He apologized. It was funny. The instructor was recording students working at the time, but not us. I wish it had been caught on video! Good one for Facebook.

Our classes are pretty small. Sometimes just me and the instructor. Today there were 5 of us total. I always get super...I don't know. Self conscious when FiL is in class (not as much with BiL is in class, but a little). I know he's better than me--he's an 8th degree black belt and has been doing martial arts all his life. But I guess I'm always super on edge to show him that I'm improving in systema. I want him to think well of me.

Though I feel like I should also point out that he and my mother-in-law have stupid ideas about body size and such. They are very judgmental, like your fat mass is directly tied to weakness in character. They are fairly ain't medicine--not due to religion, but because you should just suck it up and take it. You don't need painkillers for a headache or sore muscles or actual pain!

When my BiL says something like "You look like you are losing weight," that feels like a compliment. Someone noticing, and someone who is athletic and active and trying to stay healthy.

My FiL says it, and I kind of get pissed that he's even noticing.

I mention all this because it kind of annoys me that I "seek his approval" in class. It's a weird dichotomy.

Jaer
    has more in-law stories than he can easily write out. Like super-crazy in-law stories. The coworkers and friends love it, especially after holidays or vacations. But the in-laws are good people, they mean well--they just have slipped out of the realm of normal on a lot of things.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

But the in-laws are good people, they mean well--they just have slipped out of the realm of normal on a lot of things.

Hope your in-laws don't read your journal. Especially since your father in law is a black belt. :)

When my BiL says something like "You look like you are losing weight," that feels like a compliment. Someone noticing, and someone who is athletic and active and trying to stay healthy.

My FiL says it, and I kind of get pissed that he's even noticing.

That is interesting, same comment, 2 different reactions. :confused:

They are fairly ain't medicine--not due to religion, but because you should just suck it up and take it. You don't need painkillers for a headache or sore muscles or actual pain!

I am not saying they are right, but I think I read or heard somewhere, that American's make up 5% of the worlds population, they use 80% of the worlds painkillers.

#30 Shamie, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Ouch! Do you have any bruises to show from the kick?

12. macdiver

Bronze Member

I had remembered that your FIL owned the karate studio so my immediate reaction to your opening line was that your FIL was teaching Systema and punched you. Close but not 100%.

13. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thought the same thing. :nod:

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Good memories! We doesn't usually teach systema, but he has. He and my BiL are in class occasionally. They both whomp up on me pretty easily and are much more comfortable landing the heavy hits. But the punch to the nose was an accident. He led with a little kick toward my shin, which made me step the leg back to avoid and thus lean in a little, so my face was coming forward as his hand came up. The combo of movements made for a sound hit.

I did not bruise from it, but it has been tender.

I hope not, too! Though, it would start an interesting conversation.

H has the same the reaction. Because it feels like FiL and MiL base worth--like moral fiber, good character worth--on weight, them noticing makes it feel like I'm being judged. I might be being judged positively, but that also means if I gain weight, I am being noticed and judged for that.

It's the intent behind the compliment that makes the difference.

Oh, I don't disagree that Americans are way over-medicated. But one of my SiL got in a car accident, as she's been messed up for years because of it, awful back pain. And she won't take anything for it, not even Advil or other over-the-counter pain meds (which is what I mean when I say painkillers--I recently said something about having painkillers at my desk when someone said they had a headache, and a few coworkers took that to mean the really strong stuff like Oxycontin or Vicadin) because, again, taking something to dull the pain is weakness of character in that house.

So is psychology and depression. My SiL shows signs of pretty bad depression for over 5 years, but even bring that up, and it's "What does she have to be sad about?" Talking to doc about it, getting on meds, it's a huge taboo in that house, as if all drugs are just a crutch and everyone should be strong enough to do without. SiL finally saw someone and is getting on a low dose of meds, and MiL said "Good, if she starts taking it now, maybe she'll be off by summer."

Which kind of shows a complete lack of understanding of how meds work. SiL isn't going to pop a pill, have a huge change in her personality, leading to sudden better life choices (getting a better job, moving out, starting physical therapy for her back), and then be in such a good place that she can stop her meds in 3 months.

Anyway, I'm ranting overly much. I do like my FiL and MiL and I don't want to give the inmpression that I don't or that they are bad in some way--they are good people. We just have some major philosophical differences.

Monday:
    Max Cardio Condition: 47:30, no extra breaks.

Systema that night.

Tuesday:
    Battle Rope warm up (kind of--I'm working on making my own)
    Bench: 135 x 10, 10; 185 x 10, 10; 235 x 10, 10
    superset with slow and low BW squats 8, 8, 10, 10, 12, 12

Bent Over One-hand DB Row 85# 10, 10, 10
    superset with DB lunges 2 25#s 8, 8, 8

2 minute Mountain Climbers

Fasting day (right back to it!)

Today:
    About to do Max Plyo Circuit

But before I do, I'm going to weigh myself cause I keep forgetting to do that (so out of habit). I had a protein shake this morning and my preworkout drink, but that shouldn't add that much extra poundage.

227. About what I expected.

Goal: 220 by end of Feb.

Went to the really nice athletic club (Hockessin Athletic Club [HAC]) to check it out with H. Did I mention her box is changing prices and adding classes for an extra fee? She's locked in, but the other classes would be more money, and she likes the idea of having more options...which has led us to look at other gyms in the area. If she's going to one, and adding a second person is only like an extra $20 or so, I'll probably jump on. Her current box, there is no couple's discount, so I never tried it.

Anyway, this place is huge, has a ton of classes and a lot of equipment. The weight room seemed solid, but wasn't huge. It had actual Battle Ropes, but I didn't see any prowlers, drag sleds, or atlas stones. I'd love to get at a club that had the hardcore equipment, the stuff that's harder to have in a basement gym, but there aren't many options in my area.

They have some group classes that are TRX and kettlebell routines, and all classes are included in the prices. I'd not go there to lift on my work-from-home days, but I could see myself stopping in Tues or Thurs before or after work, and maybe occasionally on a weekend. I wouldn't be looking at a gym for myself, but as I said, as a cheap add-on to whatever H is doing, would be nice to have access to the equipment again--cables and pull-downs and the like.

We're checking out the local Y tomorrow night. We used to be members there, but that was years ago. We'll see how it's changed and if they have equivalent classes. The Y would be more convenient for my commute, but both are pretty much the same for H. The Y would be a lot cheaper, but HAC facilities were incredible, and they had a great pool, which we might use over summer. So it's really on H which we sign up for.

Jaer
    wouldn't mine having access to cardio equipment. He always enjoyed the rowing machines or hitting an elliptical as a warm up or finisher.

15. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Did you know that the Concept 2 rower is only $900? :confused:

Every time I think about having access to one in my home, I get the itch to buy it. I'll probably pull the trigger if my shin splints flare up again.

16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Wow, it's been two weeks since I posted. Bad, Jaer!

Just weighed myself: 228.9. Bad, Jaer!

My eating hasn't been that bad, so I was surprised. I expected it to be down.

On the other hand, after a few days of a free trial, H and I did join the HAC, and I was just in yesterday for a heavy back workout. Not suggesting that the few lifting sessions I had there packed on all kinds of muscle, but I do always have a weight increase after starting a new lifting routine. I suddenly have access to equipment I haven't before, like T-bar row machine and cable-pull downs and an actual seated shoulder press station, so I've been hitting those a few times and keeping up with the Insanity Vids.

Also, this weekend was a little bit indulgent. Visited with friends Saturday--they made fondue, which includes chocolate dessert fondue--and we had a lot of snacks and dip and wine. Lots and lots of wine.

Sunday, H broke her phone, so we were suddenly dealing with that. We were able to roll back to her old Samsung S3 (cause we never throw anything away) for free, so that's cool. We are recently out of contract with Verizon, and we're looking to make the switch to Google Fi, so I guess this is good motivation to finally make that play. But we had to rush around and deal with that, and we had slept in due to the wine and lateness of our previous night; we went to the gym and grocery shopping, and ended up buying some quick-to-make fairly junky food for lunch cause by the time we got home, we were pretty hungry.

Though, late lunch of chicken fingers and potato skins did nix dinner, so maybe it was a wash?

Anyway, weight is slightly up. I need to start tracking my intake better to make sure it starts going down. But overall, visual clues are still pointing to losing fat. So that's good.

Jaer
    is in desperate need of a hair cut.That might be a quick way to lose a pound.

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Though, late lunch of chicken fingers and potato skins did nix dinner, so maybe it was a wash?

Both sound like high sodium, most likely water weight.

is in desperate need of a hair cut.That might be a quick way to lose a pound.

As someone whose hair thinned considerably from when I was younger, that is a good problem to have. :nod:

18. macdiver

Bronze Member

Regarding Project Fi, my wife and I are both happy with the pixel phones and the service. Since we are low data users we are saving money each month over our previous plan with Verizon. That said the Phone Wars between Verizon and T-Mobile are leading to some great unlimited plans with cheaper phones. One if those may be a better bargain.

If interested Project Fi is still running the refer a friend program where we both would get $20 credit on our bill. I can send you the code if interested.

19. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm not sweating the weight. Except, if it is water weight, then I will be sweating the weight out....

Very true. Got it trimmed yesterday, but left it long. I usually buzz it down to a 3 in April or May, then a 2, then a 1 as the weather gets hot. It hasn't been this long in a long time. Not a problem, but it needed to be cleaned up.

I already used the code you previously mentioned, and it was accepted. So hopefully that one still gives you credit! We went with Project Fi because we are such low data users. Verizon's recent deal is 5 gigs of data for a Google-equivalent price. H and I are half-way through our current data cycle, and we are at .28 gigs used. Having a plan that is pay-per-data-used seems on the money to me. The new deals all seem to be huge-to-unlimited data. I don't need that. I want a low-cost low-data plan. Google Fi is cutting out bill in half, even with the new phones added in, and I think most months we'll be getting a credit on our account for data used.

Yesterday:
    Max Circuit Cardio (or whatever it is called): 59:10

Not my best plow through, but not too bad considering I'm not extending the breaks. I have started foam rolling after these vids for 10-15 minutes, but I had a phone meeting, so I couldn't.

Systema at night.

Today:
    Hit the gym before work. H and I are now members; she's really enjoying the classes she's taking, and she's taken a large variety at this point.

My early-morning-gym timing isn't on point yet, so my workout was slightly abbreviated.

Trap bar deadlift (assuming the bar is 45#): 45x10, 135x10, 225x10, 315x10, 365x8, 405x3, 135x12
    Wide grip pull downs: 100x12, 140x10, 180x8
    V-grip cable row: 120x12, 140x10, 160x8
    Elliptical: 10 minutes

I haven't deadlifted really heavy for a bit. I did 315 a few times the first trip to the gym on the free day, I think that was 2/5. Being able to jump right back in to 405 was pretty cool. Just wish I had a little more time in my workout to do a couple more lifts before ending, but that's just a matter of getting a pre-gym morning routine down.

Jaer
    is enjoying all the fun equipment at the gym.

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Legs and back are a bit sore today (I wonder why...), and I had to come into the office today. So I skipped my Wednesday workout, but I will hit systema tonight. I'll try to hit the gym tomorrow morning, but I'm free in the evening, so if all else fails, after work workout.

Jaer
    likes having options.