1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mexico was enjoyed. I hit the fitness center there most days. They didn't have much, and their dumbbells only went up to 30 pounds, but they had machines versatile enough for me to do some full body work just to keep the all-inclusive consumption from being too awful. H and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I don't know that I would do an all-inclusive again, at least not any time soon.

I don't day drink much, even on vacation, so I feel like I need to force it to get my money's worth. And when I did so, I felt off a bit the next day and reverted back to lots of water. Maybe half of my days had "enough" alcohol consumption. Well, perhaps the whole trip did, because I can consume more than most people.

I did get the money's worth with the food, but even then, I was eating more than I really wanted to simply because that's the environment. Were it a pay-by-order venue, I'd have eaten less. But because it's basically an all-you-can-eat buffet every meal, I over-ate every meal.

Similarly, we didn't do any off-site excursions because any day you spend away from the resort is a day you aren't getting the food and beverage that you already paid for by going to an all-inclusive resort.

But it was beautiful, and we had a great time.

I'm finally getting back into the fitness swing from it. We came back July 2, which lead us right into the holiday weekend, so we didn't really get into a normal pattern right away. I got back to the gym the following week, but our eating was still off (and we've been drinking way too much beer). This week, my eating is falling into place as well.

Jaer
    is going to stop here and talk about the new routine in another post, otherwise this will be way too long.

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    OK, now all about my new workouts. Coming back from Mexico, I changed up from full-body splits to chest/tri, back/bi, leg/shoulder splits. These aren't assigned to any specific days of the week, but rather fit in where I can with my schedule (I'm still contracted to the company I was working before, but part time, and I've had other things come up during the week, taking up my time, so workouts haven't been as regular).

Week 1 (7/7-7/13)
    Chest/tri
    Bench press: 135x8, 225x8, 315x3, 295x5, 275x8
    Incline DB Alt Press: 65sx8, 8, 8
    Dips to Leg Lift: 12, 12, 12
    Clean and Press: 95x12, 12, 12
    Tri Rope Pushdown 120x12, 12, 12

As you can see, I'm starting with a heavy reverse pyramid lift. Then I move to something a little more movement/balance oriented with the alternating DB presses (I press both up, then 1 rep = lower one and press it up, and then lower the other and press it up; I'm holding one DB in the up position the whole time) and the dips to leg lifts (body-weight dip, hold with arms locked, lift legs to an L-sit position, lower legs, dip, repeat; this is really tiring on the arms because I'm hanging the entire time). And I cap with power work (fast clean and presses).

And then squeeze the last bit of juice from my triceps.

Back/bi
    Lat Pulldown 120x6, 180x6, 240x6, 2800x8, 160x12
    Cable Row 240x8, 210x10, 180x12
    Standing Upright Smith Row +50x10, +60x10, +70x10
    superset with Alt Plate Side Lifts 35sx10, 45sx10, 10
    Rope Pulls 120x8, 8, 8
    superset with Toe-to-Bar 5+3, 4+2, 4+2+1
    Plate Lifts 35x12, 12, 12
    superset with Steering Wheel 35x12, 12, 12
    Run the Rack 70x6, 60x6, 50x6, 40x6, 30x6, 25x6, 20x6, 15x8, 10x10, 5x12
    into EZ Bar Curl Burnout 40x50

Once again, starting with heavy reverse pyraminds with pulldowns and rows. Little more movement and balance with upright rows and side plate lifts (holding a plate at my sides, like one would hold a briefcase, and then lifted straight up), rope pulls (using the long rope attachment and pulling up the weight hand over hand), toe-to-bar (which is tough after so much arm work; hard to keep the hold). Plate lifts are just holding a plate in two hands in front of you and lifting it up to eye level. And the steering wheels are holding that plate at eye level and rotating it like turning a steering wheel.

Run the rack: I start at 70, do 6 reps (or more if I could, to be honest; these are not good, clean reps--whatever it takes to get it up), then move immediately to the 60s, the 50s, and so on. As the weights go down, form improves, but it's very tiring. Once I can get more reps with good form, I do so. And then I start doing variant curls, like across the body or to the sides.

EZ Bar Curl Burnouts - after I ran the rack, I picked up the 40# EZ bar and curled it 50 reps.

My forearms were pretty sore after this workout.

Leg/Shoulders
    Squats: 45x8, 135x8, 225x8, 315x6, 365x5, 315x6, 225x8, 135x12, 45x20
    into Farmer's March: 1 lap around the gym with 90 pounds (one plate each hand), 3 times
    Standing OHP: 95x10, 115x10, 125x10
    Floating Crunches: 15, 15, 15
    3-Way Lunges & Squat: 135x4, 4, 4
    Iron Cross: 15x10, 10, 10
    Bench Crunches: 15, 15, 20
    Alternating MB Pistol Squats: 10

Heavy squats up and then down. As I deload the plates, I do a farmer's march.

Floating crunch: That's a crunch on machine thing in which the hips are supported, but not so much the upper body. So "floating" crunch!

3-way lunge and squat: 1 rep = leg front squat, side lunge, back lunge, squat, then again the other side, 3 lunges and 1 squat.

Iron Cross: DB front delt raise, move weight to the side, lower, side delt raise, back to center, down = 1 rep

Bench Crunch: Sit on a bench sideways (so butt on the bench, legs off one side, top off the over), then crunch/leg lifts

Alternating Medicine Ball Pistol Squat: Go from standing with medicine ball in hands help out front, lower to the ground to full stretched out, touch the ball above the head, move ball forward (generating momentum), and then raise up to standing on one leg. 1 rep is both legs.

So again, strength pyramid, then movement/balance, then power/intensity.

I did my leg workout on Thursday expecting to run Thursday evening (though I underestimate how tired my legs would be after; I was all jello-legged right after and for most of the day), but weather ruined the run. Instead, my running budding and I ran on Friday. I was sore from the start and the DOMS just got worse, but it was an easy-ish trail, mostly flat (except the hill right before we turned around). We ran again on Sunday, shorter run but a really hilly trail run. Legs were still sore then, but pretty much recovered by Monday.

Have I ever mentioned my Instagram account here? I take a picture to record each run (amongst other things).

Jaer
    will end there. Next post: Week 2

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Week 2 (7/14-7/20)
    Chest/tri
    Bench press: 135x8, 225x8, 315x5, 295x9, 275x10
    Incline DB Alt Press: 75sx8, 8, 8
    Dips to Leg Lift: 12, 9+3, 12
    Clean and Press: 1055x12, 12, 12
    Tri Rope Pushdown 130x12, 12, 12

More reps on the bench, upped the weight for the DBs, C&P, and Pushdown. 9+3 as a rep count means I did 9 reps, took a 10 count break, then did 3 more reps.

Back/bi
    Lat Pulldown 120x6, 180x6, 240x6, 2800x8, 160x12
    Cable Row 260x8, 220x10, 200x12
    Cable Row to Neck: 130x10, 150x10, 170x10
    superset with Alt Plate Side Lifts 45sx10, 10, 10
    Rope Pulls 140x8 160x6, 180x6
    superset with Toe-to-Bar 3+2+1, 4+3, 3+2+1
    Run the Rack 70x6, 60x6, 50x6, 40x6, 30x6, 25x8, 20x10, 15x12, 10x15, 5x20
    Plate Lifts 45x12, 12, 12
    superset with Steering Wheel 45x12, 12, 12

Same lat pulldown weight. Increased the row. Instead of doing an upright row on the smith machine, I did a row from a low position to my neck, which gives it a little more angle and straight up and down--little more comfortable on my wrists.

Increased weight on the rope pulls, but lowered reps at the higher weight. More reps at the bottom weights of the rack run. Moved the plate lifts to after the rack run, though I can't say it felt much different on either to switch the order.

Leg/Shoulders
    Squats: 45x8, 135x6, 225x6, 315x6, 365x8, 315x8, 225x10, 135x12, 45x20
    into Farmer's March: 1 lap around the gym with 90 pounds (one plate each hand), 3 times
    Standing OHP: 135x8, 115x10, 95x12
    Floating Crunches: 15, 15, 15
    3-Way Lunges & Squat: 135x5, 5, 5
    Iron Cross: 15x12, 12, 12
    Bench Crunches: 12, 20, 20
    Alternating MB Pistol Squats: 5

Fewer reps during the squat warm up but more reps at the 365 and then on the way down.

Standing OHP, changed to a reverse pyramid setup. More weight at the max, but fewer reps than last week, but more reps at the low weight.

Increased weight on the Iron Cross.

Misread my bench crunch count, so the first set is fewer reps, but I increased the the second round to compensate.

Only 5 pistol squats per leg cause I was exhausted and not getting the movement well.

This week, I ran on the day before the leg workout instead of after, which I think is why I was so gutted when I got to the pistol squats: I was still a little toasted and worn from the run!

My running buddy and I did 6 miles, but we also hit the life course pods during our laps.

One pod had some stretches, push ups, sit ups, a bar vaults (you jump side to side over a bar which is angled to increase in elevation from one end to the other). The other pod had pull-ups (I tried to do a muscle up but failed miserably!), crunches, leg lifts, dips, and jumping side ways over these small bars.

We hit each pod 3 times. We didn't track all of our reps, but I think I got 10 pull ups each time, like 20 push ups, and 20 crunches and the like. Most of the trail and these pods were out in full sun, and we didn't hit the park until close to 11 yesterday--it was 90-95 degrees. H was bit concerned about us hurting ourselves, but we both had water blatter backpacks, and I was carrying gatorade (as I usually do when running). We were fine. But drenched with sweat.

I had my friend take some pics and video. Not sure if I can share them here easily....maybe this links to the album.

We both liked doing the life course. We don't plan on doing that sort of thing and excluding long runs, but we both want to get in a little more movement and intensity work, and adding that work into a run was really challenging. Completely changes the intensity of the run.

Jaer
    was glad to be able to get some pic during that workout. He usually lifts alone and getting pictures or video in the gym just feels weird. But on the life course, not too bad!

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Are you still doing fasting days?

I looked at the photo album, looking strong doing the pull ups.

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I am doing the LeanGains style 8-hour eating window most days and the occasional 24 hour. I haven't done a prolonged one. Maybe in August.

Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised, actually.

Jaer
    always wondered how his back might look.

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had some time yesterday, so I hit the gym. No real plan because I already hit my three splits. I went for intensity.

Evil 8 @ 105# - 9:09
    bent over rope lat pulldown 50x12, 60x12, 70x12
    Lunge and cable row: 60x12, 12, 12
    Decline crunch 13, 13, 13
    - superset into push up 13, 13, 13
    - superset into pull up 8, 8, 8
    Ez-bar narrow grip press to skull crusher 80x10, 10, 10
    - superset into EZ-bar curl 80x10, 10, 10

I just looked back through my log, and my last Evil 8 was early June at 8:59; the week or so before, I had a PR time of 8:39. Yesterday was no PR, but it's been over a month since I did one, and I was a bit sore and gassed from Wednesday and Thursday activities. I had no thought I would PR this time. I'm impressed I was only 10 seconds slower.

Bent over rope lat pulldown - I was on the lat pull-down machine with a rope attachment, but instead of sitting with the legs braced under the bar, I stood and bent at the waist so my trunk was at about a 75-degree angle to my legs and pulled down like that. (Or we can just add a video)

I could feel it hitting different muscles in the back/lat area at the top and the bottom of the movement, muscles I don't often feel, and it really activated the core.

Lunge and cable row - video:

But I row as I lunge and I have a cable in each hand and alternate: step back and row left side, come up, step back and row right side, come up, and that's one rep.

Skull crushers

But I lower the bar to my chest and press it up between each skull crush movement.

And that was Friday.

Went to a party Friday night and had some cocktails and lots of BBQ/smoked meat (yay protein!).

Did a 5.7ish mile trail run Saturday morning. Not too hot, but it was humid and man was I sweating!

Have another party this afternoon (which will be inside, I hope, cause it's very hot today--like 96 degrees and 80% humidity).

Jaer
    wants to do the Evil 8 more, keep it in the normal rotation for a bit and see if that can be improved.