1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice that you had such a relaxing week in VA.

Good luck searching new opportunities.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Why not try it in your spare time while you are working, and see how successful it is, and how you like it?

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That was the plan, Shamie. That was the plan.

What actually happened was I quit my job last week.

I'll do my best to keep a long story short.

Week of 4/29 - Come back from VA re-invigorated to do something different. Friend of mine who worked at a place I interviewed at a few years back said that during her exit interview, the president asked if she thought I was still interested. So I have reapplied there.

5/8 - Major stuff blows up on Twitter. Not my fault; I execute my boss's plan. It still was a crap show. Very much highlighted I didn't want to do this anymore. Not worried about my job because of the issue; my boss told the president I handled it well and did the right thing. But by 5/9, I was soooo over it. Angry Twitter is the worst.

5/13 - I quit. Spent the weekend getting some stuff in order and deciding if it was the right call. H and I hashed it out. Went for it. My boss asks if they can counter (since I wasn't moving into another position). Sure. Let's hear it.

5/14 - Get the counter. It was not good. If fact, it was rather insulting. It was a raise to the amount I thought I was getting raised to in July, so basically it amounted to 1.5 months extra of the awful under-pay I thought I was getting. Also means I likely wasn't getting the raise in July I thought I was.... But, I had already quit at that amount. So easy choice.

5/15 - Officially send in resignation letter. Last day 5/31, but they are offering to pick me up as a contractor for a few more weeks to help with transition. We'll see what they offer. I have a feeling I might be turning it down.

Nope, I don't have anything lined up. But I am exploring freelance opportunities and have reached out to some previous coworkers, who have already put out feelers for me. Yeah, it's a little scary, but I'm fairly excited about the opportunity to go full feelance. I also know one of my coworkers is about 90% of the way to a new job (final stages of getting hired), and if she goes, boy am I really going to hate it here cause most of her work would shift to me for a time.

In other news, construction continues on the house. I'm working out regularly; ran 8 miles over the weekend. My diet's been pretty solid. I was down to 206 on Sunday morning. All in all, feeling good! No regrets about leaving without another job lined up.

Jaer
    got way too burned out.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hoping all works out for you and H. Assuming they do make an offer to be a contractor, what's the downside if you don't already have something lined up?

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It might be a better use of my time to pursue other freelancing opportunities (as putting in the time to seek them out) or even complete the construction project than work for what they are willing to pay me. I am getting six weeks vacation time paid out. Would be great to take some time off and just finish the addition sooner rather than later.

If you were take my current benefits into account, I make about $33 an hour. I feel like that would be a good base. Industry standard for a proofreader is $30-$35 an hour. I think the offer is going to come in under $30 an hour. If the least of my job functions would be proofreading (I'd be doing copy editing, copy writing, and I'd still be in charge of the company social media--not to mention I'd be available to advise on technical projects that I'm the only person in the org who has any idea how to do), I feel like I should be making more than what they would pay a freelance proofreader.

But I'm also trying to not take it personally. Logically, I should take it even if it's below $30, cause money. Emotionally, it still feels like them massively undervaluing my work and worth. I already quit not needing or expecting the support of their contract work. They aren't doing me a favor by offering it. I'm doing them a favor by taking it.

Jaer
    isn't sure how favorable he's feeling. But he often errs on the side of logic over emotion.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Millennial's :ohnoes:

Good luck on your new career path. Remember, things always work out in the end.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    One suggestion that may not be pertinent is if you and H's health insurance was through you and you can't switch to what H's company provides start doing your research now.

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Ballsy move but probably overdue. Best wishes to you in your new career. Freelancing is the new economy, so you will do great. If you are not familiar with Chris Guillebeau, he has some books and blogs that you may find usefull. Another book that has good reviews and can help you plan and execute is called Dream Year. I don't recall the author's name but google is your friend.

9. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Best of luck! It sounds like it really feels like the best decision and things almost always find a way of working out when you make a principled decision.

10. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I worked freelance for several years. Good times. :)

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks, everyone! Sorry to drop a huge info-bomb like that and then disappear again, but I've been busy.

I did take the contract job with my previous employer, so I'm still here but in a much reduced capacity, which is nice. I've been finalizing things with my book, taking some writing courses to expand my skill set, and doing a lot of research on freelancing.

I also had a phone interview the other week for a full-time position, which I thought went pretty well. We'll see.

Fitness-wise, I'm still doing well. Staying in the 204 to 207 range mostly. My cardio class ended last week (it doesn't go over summer), so my routine is a bit different now. I was doing full-body lifting on MWF and cardio class (which was also full body resistance cardio) Tues and Thurs.

This week, I did most back work yesterday and mostly chest work today, partially to break up the full body stuff at least this week, partially cause I was a little late getting in yesterday and today (was hard getting out of bed), and partially cause I have decided I want to get good at doing pull-ups and muscle-ups, so I'm training for that goal.

I'm not going to relay all my workouts, but I will relay a particular victory. Back in March, I was doing Evil 8 complexes at 105#. I managed to do it in 11:06. I hadn't done them since. Over the weekend, I went to the gym for a Saturday workout. 105# @ 8:39. That could be my fasted Evil 8 ever, but it is certainly my fasted at 105. I shaved 2:13 off my time!

Also, the week before, I ran 7 miles and Runkeeper noted it was something like my 6th fastest run in the 6-8 mile range. I have been good about getting my runs in, but I'm still just getting in to the run the condition, or so I thought. I guess being 25-30 pounds lighter is helping me out. Ran Sunday on the trails my running body and I used to hit all the time, and we blazed through with many fewer slow downs/walks. My cardio was holding up really well.

So, all in all, fitness is good!

Jaer
    just needs to secure the alternate forms of income!

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wishing you well on the employment front and :tucool: on the Evil Eight time and your runs.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Did you write a book?

You are very knowledgeable about lifting. Start a youtube channel. It is relatively inexpensive for the equipment. You don't need as many views as you would think in order to bring in some money.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I wrote a modern fantasy novel, which has been in the works for years. I recently re-finished it and edited it and all that. Working on getting an agent for it soon. <fingers crossed> I'm a published author in a year or so!

That might be a thing I do, but I have a hard time imagining I could compete on Youtube with the already established weight lifters who are in better shape than I am. Though, maybe there is a market for people who don't have the cover model body? #RealPersonFitness? Dunno.

My plans are to do some fitness writing, which would include blogging about fitness--most of which would be a rehash of things I spew here (my philosophy about eating, fasting, lifting, and what I've learned about myself over the years). Even if I never have a big blog following, it is still a kind of portfolio which can shows some level of mastery of the topic. I might be then writing or editing for other fitness outlets or the like. We'll see! If the blog has any kind of success (it will be about more than fitness; I figure I'll blog about the freelance work/writing one day a week and fitness another day a week to start), maybe some fitness videos will be in order.

As for fitness stuff, last week I did another Evil Eight. I guess that might have been Wednesday morning? I knew I wasn't going to do as well; I just didn't have the energy going into it, and I had some soreness lingering from other work during the week. However, I still managed 8:59 (only twenty seconds slower!), which I thought was really impressive. I also did a seven-miler this weekend, and it was my third fastest 6-8 mile run ever (according to Runkeeper), so that's pretty exciting.

I over-ate over the weekend. I'm not a father, but we visited both families on Father's Day, so that led to a bunch of beer drinking and cook-out eating. I decided a prolonged fast was in order. I weighed in at 209.9 Monday morning (up about 5 pounds fro Friday due to gluttony). Tuesday morning, roughly 36 hours fasted, I was 202.2. Planning on getting to about 60 hours and breaking fast at noon tomorrow. We'll see how that does. I might finally get down into the 100s.

I don't have my lifting book with me at the moment, but yesterday was a hard back and bicep day (and a little bit of abs) and today was hardcore chest and triceps (with a little bit of abs). Tomorrow, maybe so heavy leg work (and a little bit of abs...sensing a pattern here...).

We travel to Mexico on Tuesday and come back the following Tuesday, and then it's July 4th weekend. Good times!

Jaer
    just has to try not to gain 10 pounds at the all-inclusive resort.

15. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I just broke my fast with steak and eggs and skillet potatoes and buffalo wings.

I know that last one doesn't really go, but I was hanging out with friends last night, and one of the guys brought wings. I didn't have any, but he let me take the last four home, so I had them after the rest of my breakfast. I thought maybe something so complex in flavor would help me feel satisfied, which can be a real problem after a long fast.

Flipping back through my last few days:

Monday:
    ~12 hours fasted (which isn't an abnormal fasting length given I typically stop consuming calories at 8:00 p.m. and hit the gym around 7:00 a.m.) Weighed in at 209.9 after eating way too much for dinners 1 and 2 on Sunday (and just general weekend gluttony; I was 204.something on Thursday or Friday last week).

One-arm pull down: 70x8, 75x8, 80x8, 85x8
    Two-arm pull down: 160x12, 200x8, 220x8, 240x6
    Standing Lat pull down to triceps push down: 100x10, 10, 10
    DB bent one-arm row: 105x8, 8, 8
    Two-arm landmine rows: +90x10, +115x10, +140x10, +165x10
    Rope-pull 120x8, 8, 8, 8
    superset with toe-to-bar: 4, 3+3, 6
    DB Curl (run the rack): 70x6, 60x6, 50x6, 40x6, 35x6, 30x6, 25x6, 20x8, 15x10, 10x12, 5x25

Landmine rows are when one side of a barbell is secure and you lift the free side with the weight on it. My gym also has a handle that slides on the barbell for easy gripping. Not sure how much of the 45# bar is actually lifted, so I just record the weight added to the bar.

Rope-pull is when I play tug of war with the cable machine. Attach a six foot or so rope to the cable and haul it back. Usually takes about 6 hand-over-hand actions to go through the full range of motion. One rep is lifting the weight to the max height.

Toe-to-bar is getting a chin-up grip and bending in half until feet touch the pull-up bar. 3+3 means I did 3 reps, rested for a 10 count, did 3 more.

Tuesday
    ~36 hours fasted. Weighted in at 202.2. Had a hard time getting moving this morning, so I was late getting to the gym. Had to cut workout short.

Alternating DB bench press: 60sx8, 65x8, 70sx8
    superset with BB bench press: 135x10, 185x10, 225x10
    Dip to leg raise: 15, 15, 11+4
    DB curl to OHP: 25sx12, 30x12, 35x11.5
    OH rope triceps extension drop sets: 125x12, 105x10, 85x10, 65x10, 45x12, 24x12
    Plate lift: 35x20
    superset with Steering Wheels: 35x15

Alt DB bench: I lift both DBs, keep one in the up position as I lower and lift other, than switch. 1 rep = 1 press each side.

Dip to leg raise: In the Captain's Chair, do a dip and then a leg raise.

Plate lifts: Hold a plate in both hands, resting it on hips. Lift to about eye height. Lower it.

Steering wheels: On the last rep of the plate lift, keep plate at eye height (look through the center whole at yourself in the mirror). Hands will be at the 3 and 9 position. Rotate it like a steering wheel to 5 and 11, then 1 and 7. Each full rotation (from 5 back to 5) is 1 rep. Owies!

Weighted in before bed at 203.1. I gained weight across 14 hours of not eating. Whoa.

Wednesday
    ~60 hours fasted, weighted in at 199.6, then tried again twice, and both times were 201.2, so we're going with that. H was snoring early a.m., and that woke me up way early, so I got up early and made it to the gym early.

Elliptical: 5:00 at resistance 10
    L-sit chin-ups: 5, 5, 5, 5
    Bench Press: 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 295x5, 315x4 drop set to 135x20
    Squats: 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x5 drop set to 135x20
    floating crunch 10, 10, 10
    superset with floating back extension 10, 10, 10
    Muscle-up practice (ring lying pull-up into dip position): 3, 3, 5, 5
    Medicine ball pistol squats: 5, 5, 5
    superset with KB swings 50x20, 20, 20
    ez-bar close-grip bench into skullcrusher 70x8, 8, 8
    superset into ez-bar curl: 70x8, 8, 8
    superset into alternating side and front DB delt raises: 20x8, 15x8, 8

I started my workout going super heavy (considering what my numbers have been recently) and low rep knowing I wouldn't have a lot of burst energy for things like clean and presses or the like. Moved into some body weight/movement work for the same reason.

floating crunch and floating back ext: The gym has one of those set ups where you hook your feet in and sit/lie on a pad. If you are sitting and do a crunch, your back is free hanging, there's nothing to lean back on. If you are lying on your stomach, the bad is at the hips and you can bend forward to a 90 degree and come back up. I just call them "floating" cause the upper body has no support unlike when doing crunches on a sit-up bench.

muscle-up practice: I tried a few different things to practice muscle-ups (which is going from a free hang, doing a pull-up until the bar is at your chest, and then turning it to a dip and extending arms above the bar). The guy who teaches my cardio class was in the weight room as I tried some things; I told him what I was attempting, and he showed me a thing to try on the gymnastic rings we have in the gym. Lie down on the ground, rings at a height where hands can reach but are at about full extension. Bend legs (for ease; straight legs to increase difficulty) and pull up until hands are at hips and sort of in dip position.

This teaches the body how to respond to the transition point between pull ups and dips; I can do both pretty well, but every time I tried a muscle up, I basically got to the top of my pull-up and couldn't conceptualize what movement I needed to get me into the dip position. This was really useful for technique training. Even though my arms were a bit toasted from previous work, I could feel myself getting better. I think I need to practice the movement more than I need to work on my strength for this one.

Medicine ball pistol squats: Hold medicine ball in hands. Lower to the ground until lying flat and touch medicine ball to the floor above head. Pull medicine ball forward, stick one leg out, and stand on the other leg with the medicine ball held at about chest height. Lower to ground and do it again (or do the other leg for alt style).

I used to do this during systema warm ups, but it's been awhile. We would toss a medicine ball around, and when we caught it, we'd have to quickly (but safely) drop to the ground and get back up and throw the ball to someone else. I was one of the few guys in class who could raise to standing on one leg.

The medicine ball actually makes it easier because the momentum of bringing it forward helps you raise and the weight helps counter-balance you...even though it does add weight to lift. I used a 20 pound medicine ball. I'm not sure if I could have done it using a 10 pound one. Though, much like with the muscle-ups, I think it was more about training the movement than having the strength to lift it. I used to be able to do it with a lighter medicine ball (sometimes in class we used a tennis ball, and I could occasionally do that!). So that's something I will work on training more.

I broke my fast at noon. I weighed myself right before I ate: 199.6 (checked it three times; same each time!). I guess this morning, the scale was telling me what my eventual weigh-in would be, but when I stepped back on it, it was like "Oh, you want your current wait? OK, here it is. But really, dude, 199.6 by the end of the fast. Just go with it."

So I actually made it to below 200 before Mexico!

Jaer
    is now focusing on keeping the weight down. Obviously once there is food in the digestive track, the number has to go back up, but can he keep it in the 200 area for a while and actually reduce it progressively over the next few days?

16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I haven't posted a pic in a while, so here's me at ~200 pounds at about 60 hours fasted (before the gym this morning)

Jaer
    needs to do measurements at some point....

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Looking lean and strong!

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You actually help me with my fast. I think, if this guy Jaer could fast for 60 hours, 30 hours for me should be a walk in the park.:)

If you started your blog, let me know where to find it, I would like to be a reader.

You look beach ready in your photo, have a great vacation.

19. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You aren't the first person to say something like that. And I tend to agree. Obviously I'm a large person and clearer I've demonstrated time and again how much I eat. If I can go three days, with 3 (sometimes more) workouts, I fully believe anyone can go 24 to 36. I did have to work up to it, though. Those first 24-hour fasts were tough. Just like the first time I was in a sauna, 5 minutes was rough. I can easily do 10 now, and 15 is only a slight challenge. We get better at that which we train for.

I'll certainly keep everyone posted about my future endeavors.

Weighed in this morning at 201.4, which is about where I expected I'd be once refed.

Today, I did sprint intervals on the treadmill:
    1 minute at 3, 1 minute at 6, 1 minute at 7
    1 minute at 3, 1 minute at 6, 1 minute at 8
    1 minute at 3, 1 minute at 6, 1 minute at 9
    1 minute at 3, 1 minute at 6, 1 minute at 10
    1 minute at 3, 1 minute at 6, 1 minute at 11
    2 minutes at 3

Then I did some light, slow, hold-at-the-top lifts. Cable rows, cable presses, leg extension/curls, stuff like that. Then decline crunches.

More cardio and muscle fatigue versus heavy lifting or power.

Jaer
    is read for vacation!

20. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Looking good.

Enjoy Mexico.