1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Spartan88

Spartan88 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've done plenty of crooked rows.....and crooked squats, and crooked deadlifts. My bench press has been exceptionally crooked at times :lol:

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well done, sir. :tu: I think we've all done our share of UNintentional exercises like that.

3. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I had the same thought about the bumper plates.

Instead of "raw heavy weight" is your focus going to be more hypertrophy focused?

The 60 hour fasts should help with fat loss as long as you don't end it with a gazillion calorie binge.

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for this explanation, that makes so much sense.

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not sure I would say I'm going for hypertrophy either cause that implies muscle growth. I don't really want muscle growth...I'm more looking for fat loss without muscle loss--or minimal muscle loss. A little bit of lean mass being lost wouldn't bother me too much.

I actually came out of the fast pretty well and managed to be reasonable that evening and the next day. And then accidentally fasted Friday.

This weekend was less reasonable, though; my friend from high school--the guy I go running with--had his b-day last week, so a bunch of us went to Annapolis to celebrate with food and alcohol. I had 2 beers and 3 cocktails, so not too much alcohol; I was sober by the end of the night (unlike most other people!), but I did over eat on some solidly calorific foods.

Sunday, my parents, H, and I saw the Vikings exhibit at the Franklin Institute. Eating was stellar yesterday, either, but much more reasonable than Saturday.

Fasting today.

Full body workout
    Deadlift: 45x8, 135x6, 225x6, 315x6, 365x5, 285x1, 225x12
    Incline BB Bench: 185x 8, 8, 8
    Bent DB Row: 105x 8, 8, 8
    Leg press: +270x8, +360x8, +450x8
    BW dips: 10, 10, 10
    superset with one-arm lat pulldown: 70x 8, 8, 8
    Crunches on stability ball: 50

I was little late getting to the gym, so I didn't have time to do sauna or cardio. I plan on going back to the gym after work. I'm trying to get back there a couple evenings in the week as a way of prepping for running season--getting in the habit of using the time now so when the sunlight is available, I'm already in the habit.

I was a bit pissed off that I only got 1 rep of 385 on the DL. Sure, last week I couldn't even pull that....but that means I should have been able to this week! (This is the problem when I focus too much on strength). Not like super pissed off or frustrated or anything, but definitely miffed. I got over it.

Incline BB - I wanted to do incline DB, but the benches were taken in that area.

I would have liked to do something just for biceps and triceps, but I ran out of time. The full-body routine takes longer. Got to factor that in.

Jaer
    can see why so many experienced lifters stop doing whole-boy lifting workouts. He left the gym today feeling like he hadn't really taxed any of this areas, so it felt valubale/worthwhile because there's less feedback. It's kind of a mind game.

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I like that term, did you invent it?

How did the fast go? By the time I get home, I will be at about 24 hours. That is about my limit.

7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I make up words all the time (an odd habit for an editor, perhaps, so yeah, likely.

Went well. Nearly 72 hours total. My mood and energy levels aren't overly affected, but I do noticed my ADD gets a bit harsh toward the end. Went home, had some broth and noodles and a couple other little snacky things, then went to systema. Came home and had steak, potato, and vegetables.

All in all, not too bad!

Last night, went back to the gym after work (still fasting) and did
    Elliptical: 10:00
    Evil 8 @105#: 11:54
    Rope pull cardio: 6:00
    Sauna: 15:00

I haven't done the Evil 8 much recently, and certainly not that heavy in a long time. Pretty decent time for that. I was gasping hard during my rest sets, so good cardio.

Cardio class today.

Jaer
    felt a little worn at the end yesterday during the rope pull, but overall, good cardio despite being fasted.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's a fine Evil 8 workout, especially given that you haven't done it in a while.

9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Today's full body workout featured the following insanity:

Bench: 135x8, 225x6, 275x6, 315x6, 325x5, 335x4, 135x20
    --superset (the last 3 sets) with n-grip pull ups: 8, 8, 8
    3-way lunge w/squat: 135x 5, 5, 5
    cable crossover: 70x8, 10, 80x10
    lunge with cable row: 50x10, 55x10, 60x12+
    rope pulldown with tricep extension: 90x8, 10, 12
    --superset with db curl: 50x 8, 8, 8
    hanging leg lifts: 12, 12, 12, 12
    --superset with medicine ball throws: 12#, 15#, 18#, 20#

3-way lunge w/squat: Left leg front lunge, side lunge, back lunge, squat, right leg front lunge, side lunge, back lunge, squat = 1 rep

lunge with cable row: lunge left and pull back a row with the left arm; lunge right and pull back a row with the right arm = 1 rep

medicine ball throws: my gym put 5 targets on the wall. Not sure how high they go, but I couldn't hit the top target with the 18# or 20# medicine ball. I gave myself 5 attempts at the top target with each ball. I didn't need 5 attempts with the 15 and lighter, but I did for the 18 and 20.

Despite the low weight on the leg stuff, my hamstrings are tweaked.

Jaer
    focused on compound/complex movement for this. Felt good.

10. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That looks exhausting. Good workout.

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks!

Systema last night.

Class this morning.

Back to the gym after work.

Jaer
    is probably going to do another Evil 8.

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Cardio last night
    15 minutes sprint intervals on the treadmill
    Evil 8 @ 105 11:06, so about 50 seconds faster.
    5 minutes on the row machine
    Sauna: 10:00

This morning
    Squat: 45x8, 135x8, 225x6, 315x6, 405x6, 135x20 (pause at the top)
    Lat pull-down in-out-in: 80x10, 10, 10
    TRX push-ups (feet on bench): 12, 15, 15
    DB SLDL: 90sx8, 100sx8, 110sx8
    Crooked Row: 90x8, 8, 8
    Standing Arnold Press: 55sx8, 8, 8
    Decline crunch w/twist: 15, 15, 15
    EZ-bar narrow press to skullcrusher: 70x8, 8, 8
    superset with EZ curl: 70x 8, 8, 8
    sauna: 10:00

Upped the weight in some things, but fewer reps in some of those things.

Jaer
    is day-fasting again today, then having dinner out with some of H's family.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

What is Evil 8?

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow, it's been five weeks since I logged in? Oy!

The Evil 8 is a barbell complex with 8 moves, a barbell complex being a series of moves you do without putting down the bar. The Evil 8 goes as follows:
    Round 1:
    6 reps of deadlifts
    6 reps of stiff-leg deadlifts
    6 reps of bent-over rows
    6 reps of hanging cleans
    6 reps of front squats
    6 reps of overhead press
    6 reps of of back squats
    6 reps of good mornings
    REST

Round 2:
    same as above but 5 reps reach

Round 3:
    same as above but 4 reps each

Round 6:
    same as above but 1 rep each.

Done as fast as possible.

As you can imagine from the progression, the sets moves in a logical fashion, so transitioning from one movement to the next is fairly seamless. I believe the original "designer" of the evil 8 set rest time at 60-90 seconds--decide at the start and each rest period is the same length. What I do is time each round and make sure my rest time is slightly less than the time of the round, so if round 3 takes 1 minute, I'll rest 55 seconds before round 4, which might only take 40 seconds.

It's a tough one, even with just a naked bar. Leaves me heaving.

I don't have my notebook on me, but I believe since my last report, I did the Evil 8 a couple more times and improved my time each time.

I'm not going to backtrack over the past month, just to say I've kept up the full-body workouts on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and doing the cardio class on Tuesday and Thursday. I've made systema most Wednesdays and a couple Saturdays, and I've gotten in a few 4-6 mile runs. I got in some evening workouts in there too--more evil 8s and some other stuff.

My weight is still down, though my last few weekends have been a bit more calorie dense than is sustainable. I'm doing a prolonged fast now (shooting for 48 hours) and will record my weight after.

Recent workout highlight, I did hanging toe-to bars (chin-up position, raise feet until toes touch the bar; it's been a long time since I tried them). I then started doing hanging windshield wipers : touch toes to the bar, then twist at the hips to the legs go down to the right, then back to the left.

On April 7, I officiated my friends' wedding. It was quite an honor for me--and damn was it nerve-wracking. More so than I expected. H was a matron of honor. And we partied it up that weekend. Funny story: H asks if I have good slacks to wear for the rehearsal dinner. Nope! So we go shopping. I also need a new shirt and new dress shoes--my office is casual, so my nice clothing supply is out of date.

She grabs a variety of slack sizes, some of them being 34" waist. I was skeptical, but not only did they fit, there was plenty of room. A 33 might have been better (but those are super rare). The shirt I got was "athletic" cut: wide shoulders and tapered at the waist. It fit well!

This past weekend, my dad, a friend, and I were down in VA for the opening of turkey season. No turkeys were gotten (or even seen on our property, but Dad and I heard them), but the friend got two beaver (which can do a lot of damage to a pond and the surround woods if left unchecked). I currently have a big old piece of beaver meat in the sous vide! I'll let you know how that turns our.

My workouts as of late are a little higher rep, mostly in the 10-12 rep range, with some 8 or 15 depending on the movement. Trying to work in some different, bigger movement exercises to work the whole body more. Intensity and explosive power. Trying to run more, now that the weather is nice.

For this fast, I decided to do water-only, and man I'm getting hit by caffeine withdraw. I used to skip caffeine for a day or two every so often, just to check, and I never had issues. But I realized it's been years since I've done that. I think even after I break fast that I'm going to try to stay off the caffeine for a few weeks at least. I never felt like it gave me energy or kept me from sleeping, but I also never had withdraw symptoms before. I'm curious if I'm being affected in ways I'm not feeling simply because I'm used to the effect.

Jaer
    has been super busy at work, but he's going to make more of an effort to get back to his check-in routine here. He misses it.

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice story about the wedding and needed sartorial update.

No doubt, Evil 8's are...….evil. :nod: Along with those and the other things you mentioned, you're certainly keeping active.

16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Today was a cardio class day, and the instructor made it a lot of kettle bell activity. It was a tough one.

So that fast I mentioned. Didn't make it.

I was doing water-only, no coffee even. Oh boy! Guess who discovered he has a caffeine addiction?

I started getting a headache around 1 or so, but by 3, it was awful. And I was exhausted. I seriously could have closed my eyes and drifted off at work.

This could have been the lack of caffeine, or it could have been a sugar detox from over the weekend. I don't eat so well in VA, particularly when hunting (Dad brings coffeecakes and the like out with him; it's kind of the Thing We Do), and during the trip down and back, Justin--the guy who goes with us all the time--and I stopped at a place called Mission BBQ (both times, not planned that way, but they do damn good BBQ), and I had full-sugar soda both times.

So I had a LOT more sugar than normal over the weekend.

We also get up stupid early, and due to travel on Friday and late-evening beaver butcher Saturday, I did get much sleep either night, and then just couldn't fall asleep Sunday.

All could be contributing factors, especially to the drowsiness.

If it was caffeine though (which would have been easy to test, I suppose), I figured maybe I should go caffeine free for a while. After all, I always felt like caffeine didn't actually affect me (I can drink a 20 oz coffee and go to sleep 30 minutes later). If I'm having withdrawal symptoms, what other effects is it having elsewhere in my life that I'm not seeing. Possible all positive, I suppose....

Anyway, I thought eating might help the headache, so I broke my fast for dinner, and it did help off and on. I didn't have anything ready to be prepared, really, cause I wasn't planning on eating that night. The beaver in the sous vide had many hours left to go. I whipped up a meal of whiskey beaver liver and onions and a second dish of balsamic and rosemary beaver heart and liver; both were pretty good for a first attempt. The liver could have used a little more flavor; the hearth and kidneys more time in the marinade, but overall, I was pleased.

I decided I would keep on the water-only for hydration kick the next couple days. My plan is to adopt a 4-hour-ish eating window in the evening, so I have a 20 hours fasting window with just water.

And now, Day 2:

I have a bit of a headache developing, and I'm pretty low energy. I discovered back in January that it's harder to fast on cardio class day because of the energy levels, so this could just be that--but even before and during class, I felt like I didn't have as much in the tank. No preworkout, no BCAAs. Hmmm.

I'm sticking to water-only for now. H has spring break next week, so we're hanging at the VA house for a chunk of it. Upon return, I might go back to having BCAAs during workouts to see how that does with my energy and recover.

For SCIENCE!

Jaer
    finds he is missing coffee just because of the habit of it. He's used to taking breaks to go to the break room for it. He likes the taste. He likes the ritual of having a cup in the morning when he wakes up. It's just the norm. Strange how it all becomes apparent when you remove something.

17. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I saw the pictures on FB and before reading the post was like, wait is Jaer officiating the wedding? Then I read that yes indeed you were. I have to ask if you are ordained or what credintials are required? Not asking for legal action just curious. :lol:

I used to be like you and could drink coffee before bed with out a problem. I also could skip it without getting a headache. As I got older it first started interfering with my sleep. Then if I didn't have a cup immediately in the morning I would get a headache. I cut myself back to one large cup in the morning (16 ounce french press). Now if the miss it, no problem.

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Ever think of writing a cook book? You even made beaver sound good, and I wouldn't eat that in a million years. :)

19. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I am impressed that you are really making a meal of that entire beaver. I had no idea anyone actually consumed those things! They are a nuisance though when you're a property owner; the hunting land my dad owned had a beaver dam although we never (I never, at least) hunted them.

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's super easy. You can get ordained through Universal Life Ministries with just an email address, really. Beyond that, laws vary by county as to what steps you need to take. In New Castle County in DE, where they got married, I didn't need to register or anything. If the state has an questions about the validity, I need to provide my certification of ordination, so I purchased the complete package which comes with an official certificate.

2 weeks clean (no caffeine save trace amounts in things like chocolate)! I'm doing another water-only fast today, and I'm starting to get a headache, so that might be from lack of food, and it's possible my coffee intake actually evened out that (cause caffeine can reduce headaches) so I didn't really get them before. Or this could be allergies. Whatever, it's not that bad.

HA! I think a food blog would be more likely, but half the stuff I make comes from other food blogs, so it would kind of be a sham/theft of others' ideas. But I'm glad I could make it sound tasty!

We're all pretty committed to the idea that if we kill something, we should eat it--that that's a kind of respect for the life taken. Beaver might be a nuisance, but we still wanted to show it the proper appreciation. And it was darn delicious!

Saturday:
    Ran to the park near my house, 2 laps around the track, and back (~3 miles total) with a lifecourse circuit when I got there and then after each lap (3 circuits):
    8 pull-ups, 15 push-ups, 5 step-ups (each leg), 12 sit-ups, 5 toe-to-bar windshield wipers

Today's Lifts
    Sumo Deadlifts: 45x12, 135x12, 12, 185x12, 205x12
    Landmind squat-OHP-Halo: +0x10, +10x10, +20x10
    Lat Pulldown in-out-in: 70x12, 75x12, 80x12
    Clean and press: 85x12, 12, 12
    EZ bar close-grip bench into skull-crusher: 60x2, 12, 12
    - superset with ez-bar curl: 60x12, 12, 12 - into alt DB curl 20sx12
    Captain Chair Dip-Hold leg lifts: 12, 12, 12
    Sauna: 10:00

I feel like I'm missing something in there after the clean and press...but I can't think of what it would have been.

Sumo Deadlifts--if I've ever done these, it was a long time ago. Felt weird. But I was missing one of my wrist straps (how did I lose just the one? Weird!), so I couldn't go super heavy, so I thought I would try a lighter alternative.

Landmind Squat-OHP-Halo--I use the landmind thing attached to the power rack, so it supports one end of a barbell. I hold the other end in my hands, squat with it, over-head press at the top of the squat, then lower the bar in a circular fashion to one side until it's about even with my chest, then do half circle over the head to the other side, then quarter circle back to the top, then lower the bar and go down to a squat. It's a lot of movement, so it's low weight.

Captain's Chair--I just discovered that that's the name of the chair-looking thing made for dips and leg lifts--I get into a dip position with arms straight and then do leg lifts, so the whole time, I'm supported on straight arms.

Planning on running tonight after work, though I doubt it will be far or fast--but it's nice out and all spring-like, so that's cool.

H had her spring break last week, and I took the week off. We were at the Virginia property Monday to Friday; very relaxing. No working out (no yard work or construction or even a run); mostly sitting around listening to music or reading, though we did do a quick winery tour and hit a local brewery, which was really tasty. Very relaxing week.

And one that has me re-energized to find a new job. My biggest hold-up is still that I'm not exactly sure what I want to do next. I just don't want to do social media, which is one of my core job functions currently.

Or do I?

One thing H and I discussed involves some social media work. My dad used to have an antique business about 18 years ago for which he would go to local shows and sell stuff. He had a heart attack on my 21st birthday during one of those shows; the family packed everything up and shoved it in the tractor garage and there it has sat all this time. He recently started digging back into it (now that he's retired, he has more free time to do something with it all), and now there might be some value to social media promotion. He's doing a show this weekend at my aunt's art studio (my aunt does pottery and paints), so I created a Facebook page for the antique business and an event for art studio.

Which kind of got me thinking...it might be possible to help my dad with his business as a part-time gig. I haven't discussed it with him yet (figure I should at least wait to see how the show goes), but H had the thought that there might be some potential for some side "consulting" gigs. My aunt and her artist friends aren't tech-people. They might have Facebook, but they wouldn't know how to use it. I doubt any would think to create and try to promote a Facebook event. Might be a market I could break into, helping to set up and train people on using social media that way.

That would be a level of social media work I wouldn't mind.

We have some other ideas of side gigs that could help with income, so it's now trying to cobble together enough pieces that we can make ends meet and not over-tax my time.

All still with the hopes of eventually being a successfully published author.

Jaer
    would really enjoy both helping his dad get the business up and running and helping others share their art. Now he just needs to find out if he can make a living doing that.