1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

:nod: I am with your wife. But I like the fact that someone eats those parts of the animal, so they don't go to waste (just not me).

How did you like it?

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It came out really good. It's dense, like a pot roast, but tender and tasty.

I cooked the liver last night; it was not as good as previous liver attempts, but I think that was lack of familiarity with the Instant Pot, and I could do better next time.

I also cooked the chicken tenders I had soaking in the fermentation brine. I coated them in planko bread crumbs and cooked in the air frier. They came out really tender and had a bit of the brine flavor, but I should have added some seasoning to the bread crumbs, too. I usually do, but I wasn't sure just how much flavor the brine would give, so I wanted to be cautious.

Fitness class this morning.

Meeting my bros-in-law for dinner and drinks tonight.

Jaer
    enjoys the food cooking experiments.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Lots of food mentions that are making me hungry. Thanks for the fermenting info. :tucool:

4. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A deer heart :blank: I had a lot of venison back in my hunting days but I think I somehow managed to avoid the heart. Unless it was ground up into sausage, hmm. Speaking of heart I was listening to an audio book this week and they were talking about the McDonald's McRib sandwich and apparently it is mostly heart, stomach, and tripe. Who knew?

Thanks for all of the explanation about the fermentation. That sounds really good.

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We are hunters, and mostly the family in general has adapted the mentality to reduce meat consumption by making sure the meat we get is higher quality. Animals raised by sustainable farming methods rather than the giant meat farms. And what we can hunt.

I read somewhere that when the Inuit people has a successful hunt, they would feed the muscle-flesh to their hunting dogs and eat the organs themselves, because that was the better, more prized meat--it had more nutrients and minerals. After reading that, I decided to be less picky about eating liver and heart and the like.

Of course, I'd be less inclined to eat the organs of the mass-produced meat sold in grocery stores. I can't imagine McDonalds is using quality meats, and thus the organs of such creatures must be...yeah, I imagine that's why they coat it in that BBQ sauce, to cover the taste of the meat. Probably couldn't use those pieces in the regular burgers.

Yesterday:
    Bench: 45x8, 135x8, 225x8, 275x8, 305x5+1
    Incline Alt DB Bench 65x8, 8, 8
    - giant set with dips x10, 10, 10
    Iron Cross: 15 x10, 10, 10
    Triceps pushdown: 150x10, 160x10, 170x10

Systema last night

For dinner I had the deer liver I made, which was cooked with onions and mushrooms and bacon, and the juices were into a pretty thick gravy. I warmed that up and mixed in the red cabbage sauerkraut I was fermenting since the weekend before last. The kraut added just a hint of extra flavor that was really good. It's a pretty tangy, potent kraut--I had tasted it on Sunday and it was still fairly bland, but the flavor really developed over those two days.

Today
    Class this morning.

Fasting until dinner. Will probably have more liver.

Jaer
    is trying to up his water intake today and get a solid flush. And with that said, time to fill the Big Gulp.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Loving the food talk.

That's one nice workout you had. :tucool:

7. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So H broke the Instant Pot last night....

Not her fault; it randomly started having some venting issues and then started tossing up a E 19 error, which when one consults the error codes, you find that the only troubleshooting is "Contact Customer Service". I think it's a problem with the lid and/or the release valve. We got it less than 30 days ago (Christmas present), but my parents bought it more than 30 days ago, we we can't just return to Amazon and we missed the 30 day window to register it for the warranty program. Fingers crossed that that doesn't matter, cause we love this thing, it was super expensive, and I'd rather not have it busted after 3 weeks.

She was in the middle of making beef tips, which did fully cook before the issues arose, but probably not to desired tenderness and flavorfulitude, but it was still delicious. She made gravy from the juices, we had it with mashed potatoes and broccoli, and I mixed in my sauerkraut. H even tried it with the kraut and enjoyed it.

This particular kraut was made with red cabbage and an apple and had black pepper and clove in the mix. Very tasty, but the flavors aren't even, so you can have a bite that is very clove-forward only to have the next be more pepper-ish. Really good, though!

Lifts:
    Squats 45x8, 135x8, 225x8, 315x8, 335x8, 355x8, 135x12 (fast)
    KB Swings 70 x30, 30, 25
    Leg extension 230x12, 240x12, 250x12
    Seated leg curl 170x8, 180x8, 190x8
    Clean and Press: 90x12, 12, 12
    Cardio: 10:00
    Sauna: 15:00

My range of motion on my heavy squats could be better. I had grip issues on the last set of swings, so I stopped at 25. I thought doing a few sets of heavy swings would be a good balance to all the reps of light swings I do in the Tuesday/Thursday class.

Overall, I'm pleased with that workout, and I'll try to maintain that series for a few weeks, but adding more weight as needed.

Jaer
    didn't drink enough fluid yesterday, despite the wine with dinner. H's recipe called for it, and since the bottle was open....

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bummer about the Instant Pot; hopefully the company will do the right thing.

9. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good luck with your Instant Pot customer service journey.

I come from a family of hunters, too, so I'm truly the black sheep of the family now that I don't eat meat.

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Regarding the Instant Pot. If you can't get satisfaction. Here is my solution, albeit possibly somewhat unethical:confused: (depending on how ethical you are). Buy an identical one, once received, tell them it doesn't work, return the original one that doesn't work as the one you just bought.

11. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Hopefully the manufacturer will do the right thing.

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm totally unethical enough to do just that.

Haven't heard back from them yet, but random strangers on the internet seem hold the Instant Pot customer service in decent regards.

Lifted Sunday:
    Chin ups: 10, 10, 10+3+3+3+2
    T-bar row: 180x4.5, 5.5, 4.5
    Lat pull-down: 170x10, 10, 10 dropset 120x10, 70x12
    Bent DB row: 70x8, 8, 8
    giant set with upright DB row: 40x10, 10, 10
    Alt DB curl: 45x 6, 6, 6
    giant set with ez bar-curl: 60x10, 10, 10
    cardio: 10:00
    sauna: 15:00

My left hand grip (the hand that was destroyed in the mountain bike accident years ago) was really poor by the end; that was a bigger impediment to doing more curls than the weight.

No workout Monday.

Class this morning.

On Sunday, after the workout, I went over to a friends' house for rare weekend D&D game. We ordered pizza, wings, cheese fries, and had beers.

On Monday, a few friends and I got together for a day of board game. We had chips, meatball sandwiches, and beer. For dinner, H had sous vide-ed a pork shoulder, and then served that on polenta, topped with onions, tomatoes, and an lime-avocado mousse-thing she just whipped up. It was delicious! And wine, which was also delicious!

So obviously, after all that, today's a fasting day.

Jaer
    regrets nothing!

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What's a giant set?

Regarding food, I'll venture that you didn't go hungry this weekend. :)

Seltzer
    who had a couple of chicken wings while at a bar on Sunday and later some homemade guac and chips after returning home. There was also a beer involved. Confession over.

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A giant set is when you do two exercises in a row with no rest in between that work the same muscle group, so benching then push-ups -- both are chest work.

A superset is when you do two exercises with no rest in between that use opposing muscle groups, so benching then pull-ups -- hitting chest and back.

Or so I read at some point, so that's how I'm using the terms.

Tuesday -- Class. I didn't mention previously, but I went up to 35# KB for class, which is the max weight available in the room.

Wednesday
    Bench: 135x8, 225x8, 275x8, 305x8, 4+2 (I think)
    Incline Alt DB Bench: 65x8, 8, 8
    --Giant set with BW dips: 10, 10, 10
    Iron Cross: 20x10, 10, 10
    Rope Tri pushdown: 160x10, 170x10, 180x10 drop set 120x10, 90x10
    Sauna: 10:00

Thursday
    Class with 35# KB

Tuesday was a full-day fast, so I didn't eat until Wednesday at lunch (though I had coffee with creamer and sugar before lunch, so lunch wasn't my first calorie intake).

Today, just a 24-hour fast, so I'll have dinner tonight.

I had a brine left over from a recently finished veggie ferment (as in, I ate all the veggies I had fermented and was left with half a jar of brine); it was super garlicky, but I really liked it. So I put some raw chicken tenders in the jar before leaving for work yesterday. Came home and browned them in a cast iron skillet (left over bacon grease for the win!)--they were delicious! Super tender and full of garlicky goodness!

Jaer
    likes that he can repurpose the brine from a ferment into a marinade.

15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice bench numbers :bb:

16. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I always thought I was doing "supersets", and they weren't (based on your definition). Never heard the term "giant set", I guess that is what I have been doing.

You are like an encyclopedia of weight lifting. :bow:

Just. :) :lol:

17. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Cooking chicken in bacon fat. :bow:

18. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Friday (as best I can remember without my notes)

Squats 45x8, 135x8, 225x8, 315x8, 335x8, 355x8, 375x8, 135x12 (fast)
    KB Swings 70 x30, 30, 30
    Leg extension 250x12, 260x12, 270x12
    Lying leg curl 170x8, 8, 8
    Clean and Press: 90x12, 12, 12

I find the lying leg curls harder than the seated version.

Construction all day Saturday.

Ran 3.4 miles on Sunday with my runninf friends; first run in a long time, but hopefully not the last. He's had a bum heel for months now an is slowly rehabbing it. I hope my free time and the weather permit me to keep making it out on the runs during the weekend.

I foam rolled the calves after the run, spent time stretching, did some meditation--kind of a lazy Sunday--and had a sort of mental epiphany of sorts. I got a shot of motivation/invigoration. I've been having some difficultly really getting my mindset back to pre Xmas break focus (working toward Merry Fitmass was good motivation!), and I feel like I had a bit of a jolt to re-awaken the right mentality. As part of this shot of fitness focus, I even through out the left over dessert pie our dinner guests had brought (and left) the night before. It was a delicious and sweet homemade Oreo pie. So that was cool, physically expelling the temptation from the house.

Which resulted in me going to bed on the early side last night, getting out of bed on time, making solid lunch prep choices (which isn't unusual), and having a really kick-ass workout this morning.

Hopefully the motivation continued to stay at 11.

Chin-ups: 10, 10, 10+3+3+2
    T-bar row: +180x 8, 6, 7.5
    Wide lat pulldown: 170x10, 10, 10 dropset to 120x10, 70x10
    Bent DB Row: 75x8, 8, 8
    --giant set with upright DB row: 45x10, 10, 10
    DB alt curls: 45x 8, 8, 8
    --giant set with ez-bar curl 70x10, 10, 10
    Rope pull: 120 x4, 6, 6
    -- superset with BW back ext: 10
    -- superset with crunches on ball: 12, 12, 12

I believe that is fewer chin-ups than last week, but previously I had been on a bar with neutral grip, and this was not, and I think I got higher above the bar each time.

In all other exercises, either my weight or my reps were up.

I was doing rope pulls a few months ago. Basically, it's a four or five foot thick rope that attached to a cable machine, and I just pull hand over hand until it gets to the top; the full movement eats almost the entire length of the rope, maybe 6 to 8 pulls. I then reset it. That's one set, several hand-over-hand pulls. So 6 sets of that is like 36 to 48 pulling motions.

That progression was new today because I got to the gym early enough to do it. Just randomly decided to toss it into the program.

Jaer
    is still going to go to class on Tuesday and Thursday, but maybe he'll get to the gym earlier for some sort of warm-up exercise/cardio before class starts.

19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I thought your story was going to end differently, with you going into the garbage, and retrieving the pie you threw out. :)

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    HA! It very well could have, since the pie was covered and I didn't throw it in so much as just toss it in, so it could have been salvaged. I even checked with H when she got home to make sure it was OK that I had destroyed a dessert. But she had already said she wasn't interested in having more, so it had been me who had saved it from that same fate the night before.

Class today with the 35# KB. I got there a bit early, so I did 4.5 minutes on the rope pull machine (1:00 pulling down, :30 pulling up, repeat twice) and 8 minutes of the elliptical before class. I think that made the whole class a little more cardio intense and had my upper-body already in a slightly fatigued state. And we did 50 KB swings at the beginning instead of 30 cause some of the ladies were gibber jabbering; it's s class staple to do so light stretching then do 30 two-hand KB swings (swinging the KB to chest height; sometimes called Russian KB swings), 30 left-hand swings, 30 right-hand swings, 30 peek-a-boos (swinging the KB all the way over your head; I think these are also called American KB swings, cause of course Americas have to take it to the extreme and one-up the Russians).

Still feeling highly motivated.

Jeer
    is fasting today. He might go until tomorrow morning, but we'll see how he's feeling later. It could be a 24-hour deal.