1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That is exactly what that means. I try to get 10 reps every set, but that sometimes requires a pause. My reps are already a little slower than usual, so benches especially start draining the triceps. I might only get 8, with the last being pretty shaky. I set the bar down, give myself about a 10-breath count, and then bang out the rest.

I'm not sure this is really the best way to go about getting to 100 though.

Give that my rest times are 60 seconds (to 90s seconds, occassionally, but I set the stopwatch for 60) between sets, a 10-breath count it as a fairly long breath in and of itself, 20-30 seconds. So am I really getting 10 reps in one set?

I wonder, with the short rest times, if it wouldn't be better just finish the set whenever I fail and just do more sets to make sure I get at least 100 rep:
    10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 9, 8, 7, 7, 6, 6 - yeah that's over 100, but I wouldn't cut out at 4 if I had more in me just because I reached 100.

I'll try that next time and see if I like it better.

Should be getting off work early today--around lunch time--so H and I are going to hit the gym and then do some final shopping later.

In case I don't "see" any of you before then, Merry Christmas or whatever your celebration of choice is!

Jaer
    has been noodling that rep thing in his head for a couple weeks.

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

3. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, but I wonder if it is a more valid strategy for longer rest times. Like, if I'm resting 3-5 minutes between really heavy sets, the rest pause makes more sense because it's significantly shorter than the rest of the rest. I'l check out the article you linked and see if it holds any clues.

In other news, Happy New Year!

My winter break had a mix of over-eating and fasting. I didn't make it to the gym as much as I hoped, but that was because my Dad came over more than I expected and we spent more days on the construction project than I thought we would. No complaints there.

Still doing the volume training.

Today
    T-bar row: +135x10x10
    Lat pulldown: 200x8x3 - drop set 160x6, 120x6, 80x8
    DB upright row: 40sx12x3
    Incline Alt DB Curl: 25s x8x3 - "drop set" to standing alt curl 25x6
    Sauna: 10:00

Was a little late getting to the gym today--I was off all last week, so this was my first day getting back to a normal schedule--so no time for cardio. I call the standing alt curls a "drop set" because I didn't drop the weight, but switching from an incline bench (which requires holding the weight with tension in the non-curling hand) to standing is an easier curl, despite more ROM.

Systema tonight, I hope. Yup, just got the confirmation.

Class tomorrow. Lifting Friday.

I'm planning on finishing the volume training this week and switch back to strength training through Jan and Feb, maybe back to volume in March. My goal for the volume training had been do something different between Thanksgiving and Christmas and to do something that was a more "bulking" workout given that I was inclined to overeat during the holiday. Now that that is over, back to cutting. My fitness class on Tuesday and Thursday is low weight, high rep resistance training, so I don't feel my lifting days need to also be lower weight, higher rep as well.

Besides, the gym just added new deadlift platforms, and I need to try those things out!

Jaer
    is fasting today. He'll weigh himself soon to see how well he's done keeping in the 206 to 208 range.

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good article about the rest-pause, and that was close to what I was ding, but not quite right....

But, I think I might use the rest-pause during the next round of heavy lifting. I've been considering whether I should do drop-sets or maybe reverse pyramid training. As difficult as the maximum heavy lifting routine was, it didn't create the same muscle fatigue/burn as the high volume training. I want to increase my weight, decrease the reps, but still work to muscle fatigue.

Last night: Systema

Today: Cardio Class

Tomorrow: Leg Day

Jaer
    just got told by one of his coworkers "Wow, you've really gotten skinny!" Great praise for just after the holiday break.

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

How do you know so much about lifting? High school or college sports, or books ? Just curious, you seem to know a lot.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice compliment from your co-worker.

7. macdiver

Bronze Member

Nice compliment.

Whichever training method you end up doing, I'll be following your progress

8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! It's mainly gained from reading a lot, then doing, then reading more. I used to read article after article about lifting and nutrition years ago. I've slowed down now. I probably only average two or three fitness related articles a week, and maybe a YouTube video or podcast about something, if I've got a specific point of interest. Like, when I start considering new programs, I start researching them.

Thanks! Coworkers and family and friends always come to me for advice about working out and nutrition, due to the aforementioned years of reading. I liked that they thought me expert enough to consult, but I felt like I hadn't made the progress to earn it. I felt a little like a fraud giving info out, cause the out of shape guy isn't the one you want as your personal trainer.

I know that's overly harsh on myself, but you get the idea. I am well aware that I was in decent shape and was fitter than most people, but it's nice to feel like I've gotten things reigned in a little bit more to feel like I've earned it.

Leg day!
    Once again, hard time getting moving this morning, so was a it short on time.
    Squats: 225x10x10 1:00 rest between sets
    Leg Extensions: 130x12, 150x12, 190x12, 230x12
    Leg Curls 170x 6, 7, 7
    10:00 on elliptical ; no sauna

I usually use the leg extension machine on which the legs move independently, so it's like 80 per side. But the pads for that are on the shins, and I have an injury from construction work on on leg, so I couldn't manage that. The other, double-leg machine has the kick pads at ankle level, and that was fine, thought much easier to do than I expected, hence the big increase. No clue what a good start was.

Not sure what is going on Saturday, construction-wise or systema-wise, but on Sunday H and I are having brunch with some friends.

Jaer
    figured he squatted enough to have earned BBQ for lunch.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

:bb::bow:

10. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks! Though maybe the bowing emoji is me falling flat on my face after those squats. LOL.

So I started the new program today. I haven't actually figured out what my normal lifts are going to be, but I feel that today's actions were pretty close. I was a little late getting to the gym, so I think I'll have time for a little more. Not sure what the more will be.

Lat pulldown: 160x8, 200x8, 220x6+3+3+1.5
    Seated v-grib row: 240x10, 10, 10
    Bent single-arm DB row: 60x10, 10, 10
    giant set with stnading upright DB row: 40sx10, 10, 10
    Run-the-rack alt DB curls: 65x6, 55x6, 45x5, 35x6, 25x6, 20x6, 15x6, 108

So the rep count on the lat pulldowns was an actual rest-pause set up, so I managed 6 reps, did a 10-breath count to 3 reps (couldn't do a 4th if I tried), 10 breaths, 3 reps; 10 breaths, could only do 1.5 reps--total muscle failure.

How I might set this up going forward: Instead of rest-pause failures with a lat-pulldown, I might do it with chin-ups instead. I wouldn't add more weight, but I would hope to progressively overload by doing more reps during the rest-pause counts. Then I could heavy lat-pulldowns later in the workout. Or maybe do light lat-pulldowns to get full ROM and add a hold at the bottom of the movement. Yeah, that sounds like a better plan.

Fasting today. I wasn't overly concerned about diet last week/over the weekend; I was kind of still in the post-holiday whatevers last week (and I'm fine with that), but it's time to get back into the Merry Fitmass Spirit on Nov and early Dec. Part of that effort is to banish from myself all the junky eating, and I find fasting to be a good way to break habits.

Which hasn't been too junky, but I have been eating chocolates at night. And I should stop doing that. So it's refocus time.

Jaer
    and H got an Instant Pot for Christmas, and so far, it's been great. We've had a pot roast and made chicken and dumplings, and both were juice, tender, and delicious.

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The fast continues today.

This morning's class was brutal. We all left it a bit hunched and gasping. Good times! Back has a little tightness/soreness from lifting yesterday, too, which was stellar.

Benching tomorrow. And eating.

Jaer
    hasn't quite decided when he's breaking fast. This one's been rougher than some of the previous ones, so possibly a shake after his workout tomorrow to kick things off.

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Benchies - fasted

BB Bench: 135x6; 225x6; 275x8, 6+2; 225x8+3+2
    Alt DB Incline Bench: 60s x8, 8 8
    giant set with BW dips 10, 10, 8+2
    Iron cross: 12x10, 10, 10
    Rope Triceps Pushdown: 130x12, 140x10, 150x10
    Sauna: 15:00

I was a little disappointed by only getting to 275 on the bench, and struggling there. I was hoping to break 300. Then as I considered it, I have only been lifting 185 recently (albeit, many more reps), so that's ~ a 50% increase, which is significant. Got to keep in mind that while volumne training supposedly builds muscle, that doesn't mean strength gains.

And I was fasted, so that might have had some effect on thingsl I don't necessarily feel weaker when lifting fasted, but I do notice I recover slower.

It will be interesting to see how quickly the strength returns in the new lifting style.

Had a protein shake after lifting, which broke the fast at about 60 hours. I weighted in this morning at 205.4.

Jaer
    is feeling reset in his fat-loss goals, now. Onward and downward!

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Yikes 60 hours, it that a record for you? :bow: I know from experience how hard it is to fast, even for just 24 hours. You must have discipline of steel.

14. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you ever feel light headed or tired when fasting?

15. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    72 is my record.

I've done a few 48s, two 60s, and a 72. Maybe 2 72s? But I think just one.

Light headed, no. I do sometimes feel fatigued in the afternoon, but that usually depends upon if I worked out in the morning, and if so, how hard/intense. It's similar to an after-run fatigue. I sometimes get headaches, which I attribute to carb depletion, but it doesn't last long. I do notice I am more likely to feel cold, even on shorter, 24-hour fasts. But otherwise, no real adverse effects.

Other than being more focused on eating when I breakfast! I noticed that with 24-hour fasts, that I have more desire to consume once I start, beyond being hungry.

I am an unconscious eater and will chow through an entire bowl of whatever if it is within reach, sometimes without realizing I'm eating.

I also can get stuck, mentally, on a food: If I have a piece of meatloaf in my lunch, for instance, I'll be overly obsessed with wanting it leading up to lunch. Like at 10:30, 11, I'm just mentally stuck on having the meatloaf--and not because I'm mentally or physically hungry for lunch!

I also can get flavors "stuck" in my head, the way a song gets stuck and you want to keep listening to it. So if I have a cookie, suddenly I'm stuck on "sweet" and go on a sugar tear, even though I'm usually not a sweet toother! Usually this happenes with sweet or salty.

BUT, outside of those issues, I don't usually obsess over food if I'm not hungry. I don't use it as emotion comfort, for instance, nor am someone who gets overly hungry or distracted if I don't eat often. However, after fasting, I can sometimes become unsatiable. Not hungry, but constantly wanting to graze on stuff to the point that it's distracting. Happened yesterday.

So I ate more than I intended. I'm sure I'm still in the negative for the week, cause I didn't go THAT heavy yesterday. But I made a conscious effort to keep it together today--which wasn't difficult. The "munchies" haven't been an issue today.

Class this morning.

Zoup for lunch. It's a chain sandwich-n-soup place with a location near the office. I had their half-n-half lunch special, so it was 1/2 Chicken Tuscana sandwich, cup of Hearty Veggie and Beef soup, and a multi-grain roll. It was REALLY good. I'd recommend Zoup for quick and easy lunching.

I snacked on fermented veggies this afternoon.

Steak for dinner, likely on a bed of kale.

Have I mentioned that I started fermenting/pickling veggies? I started in Nov/Dec. I find it makes for great snacks.

Today I had green beans, asparagus, and carrots in a brine with pickling seasoning and red pepper flakes--so picklish but with a little kick. And I had carrots that were in a brine with maple syrup, cinnamon, and ginger chunks. The ginger and cinnamon came through, but they weren't as sweet as I expected. I'll add more syrup or some brown sugar if I try that recipe again.

I made a sauerkraut, too, which I had yesterday on a keilbasa (polish sausage) sandwich with Russian dressing. That was yummy.

I have another sauerkraut fermenting now, which is red cabbage, apple, black pepper, and clove in the brine. Looking forward to that one.

Jaer
    should have some very happy gut bacteria, given all the fermented veggies he's eating these days.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Very cool about making your own kraut and other fermented veggies, something I've never done.

Your comment about eating lunch resonated with me because when I was much younger, worked in an office, and brown bagged it, said lunch would never make it past about 10:30 which meant I would have to buy lunch a couple/few hours later. :bang:

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I was given a holiday gift of a Kombucha home brewing kit. I have used it yet. I have tried store bought kombucha, to me it tastes like soda. Kombucha is a fermented tea drink (for those who do not know). I get surprised when people tell me how awful it taste. :confused:

18. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    How did you get your start fermenting veggies? This idea appeals to me. It sounds awesome.

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Please tell Jaer; inquiring minds want to know. :)

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I haven't had that happen in a long time, but yeah, that definitely a thing I have done as well. Fasting seems to help me keep that in check.

I've never had Kombucha. I think that might be referred to as "bubble tea" in some places. I've seen such a thing in some of the asia eateries around us.

Pickles.

I have a garden in the back yard, and last year I focused on tomatoes and cucumbers so that we could can/jar them. This didn't go as planned because (a) the pantry space we thought we would have is being built as a Chistmas gift by my dad and he's still working on it, so we don't have room for tons of canned stuff, and (b) the weather was crappy for a boom crop anyway.

Still, my wife made pickles from some of the cucumbers we had and they were amazing. When she was on her fitness channel, we were going through pickles at a ridiculous rate, so we were making ones that were more to our taste. I had tatsed homemade pickles before, and had an idea of the various flavor profiles that could come out.

I started reading about how good fermented veggies were, I tried some kimchi, and I very recently had several sandwiches from some sandwich places that had sauerkraut in them. I had never been a kraut fan, but the sandwiches were amazing, so I decided to give it a go.

So I made a kraut, which takes a long time, and started experimenting with fermenting green beans, asparagus, and carrots together with some pickling seasoning and red pepper flakes to give them a kick. Turns out, they make for a great snack!

It's really easy to get started successfully, especially if you invest in the Easy Fermenter Lids. Fill a mason jar with your veggies of choice, add you seasoning of choice, fill with salt water, and let it sit about a week. When the taste and consistency is to your liking, remove the fermenter lid and put a real lid on and store in your fridge--or properly seal it for shelf-safe storage.

I don't recall my friday lifts. Wait.... maybe...

Squat: 135x8, 225x8, 315x8, 8, 8
    Clean and Press: 95x10, 10, 10
    Leg curls: 170x 6, 6, 6,
    Cardio: 10:00

I think I skipped leg extensions cause the machine was taken. I was super late leaving the house, and rushed out. I had thought I had left my cell phone at home when I discovered it wasn't in my pocket when I hit the gym, so I also had no music. It wasn't my best showing.

Turns out my cell was in my car, so I could have had music....

Monday:
    BW chin ups: 8, 8, 8+3+3+3+3+2
    T-bar row: +180 x 6, 6, 6
    lat pull down: 160x10, 10, 10
    bent DB row: 70 x10, 10, 10
    - giant set with upright DB row: 40s x8, 8, 8
    Alt DB curl 40sx 8, 8, 8
    - giant set with ez-bar curl 40x 10, 10, 10
    Cardio: 10:00
    Sauna: 10:00

Yesterday, I decided to try cooking a deer heart in the Instant Pot. I decided to try a German flavor profile, so I put the heart in the pot with potatoes, celery, carrots, cabbage, some beer, and some pickle juice and mustard. The pickle and mustard flavors didn't develop as much as I wanted.

I also started a new kraut (green cabbage and caraway seeds this time), and when realized we still had a lot of cabbage left from my recent experiments, I made braised cabbage as well.

In the end, shrimp tacos for dinner.

Because all that other stuff is for me to eat during the week (i.e., dinner tonight, and I'm already salivating!). H won't even try the heart.

I'm currently marinating chicken tenders in one of my pickling brines. Got to do something with all the liquid left after fermenting veggies in it, and it seems a shame to dump tit. I read you can keep using the same brine over and over, but some people suggest that's not the best practice. Instead, use the brine to cook or marinade or make a salad dressing. So yeah, testing how that works.

Jaer
    used to not like cooked cabbage. Now he's developed a taste for it!

Seltzer likes this.