1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The fast continues. I'm at 40 hours now, and holding strong. My energy levels are good, focus is good, and hunger is fine (though climbing now as it approaches noon).

So far, I've only had water and black coffee. My only supplements/additions have been the following:
    • Creatine (preworkout)
    • Beta alanine (preworkout)
    • Glutamine (preworkout)
    • Lemon juice (drops in preworkout)
    • Lime juice (drops in preworkout)
    • Apple cider vinegar (tsp diluted in like 10 oz of water in my preworkout)
    • ZMA (before bed)
    • L-tryptophan (before bed)
    I weighed in last night before be (hour 28ish): 216(.3?)

I weighted in this morning before leaving for the gym: 213(.1?)

I don't think I'll keep that level of weight loss once I refeed, but it is interesting to note. I need to remember to weigh in tonight before eating, and then again tomorrow morning and evening to see the return.

Today's workout: Cardio Conditioning
    Treadmill warm-up: 7:00
    Evil Eight: 105 @ 10:11
    push-ups: 21, 21, 21
    - superset into pull-ups: 8, 8, 8
    - superset into decline crunches: 13, 13, 13
    Cardio: 10:00
    Quick cold rinse in shower (like 30 seconds of COLD water) -> Sauna 10:00

That's a 32 second improvement on my Evil Eight time over last week. I decided to move the rope-pulls from the cardio day to my official back day (either Thursday or Friday; this will be determined by what is more sore tomorrow, legs or back, and then doing squats or back work as appropriate).

I left the gym feeling great. Purified. In the hours that follow, I feel pleasantly fatigued, but not worn. My shoulders and chest were feeling pretty toasted--more so than after benches yesterday--but not hurt. Just well used.

Improvement in the Evil Eight helps me get over my annoyance about loss of weight on the heavy lifts. It reaffirms my desire to be fit over being strong. This is a normal cycle for me, getting into a heavy lifting routine because (a) I'm good at lifting heavy and (b) I like those style of routines (for lack of better words, they are simple: benching X weight for Y sets of Z reps is not complicated) only to progress to plateau and reconsider my training because putting a lot of time and effort into adding 5 or 10 pounds to a lift isn't appealing to me.

This is not me knocking this cycle, either. I think it works well: I don't burn myself out and stop working out; I stay strong; and I improve my fitness. I'm in some of the best shape of my life.

I'm not switching routines now. I usually switch things up between Thanksgiving and Xmas anyway, so this year will be no exception. I'm thinking of switching to a full-body day twice a week and more conditioning style work other days. Maybe I'll actually sign up for a fitness class at my gym (I'm pretty buddy-buddy with the guy who leads the Tuesday and Thursday morning classes just cause we're in the gym at the same time every morning).

Jaer
    would be going way out of his comfort zone taking an actual class, but that's the whole point of having a Merry Fitmass!

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Your friend Thomas Delauer has a youtube video about drinking apple cider vinegar mixed with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper (not sure of exact amount), mixed with some lemon juice for additional weight loss (I think it is supposed to speed up metabolism). By the way, apple cider vinegar is tough on tooth enamel, so it is best to drink from a straw. I drink this, but not consistently.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You had to remind me of the Evil Eight....haven't done that sequence in years. A very efficient workout.

I know everyone is different, but for decades once I go too long without nutrition my blood sugar drops and my energy is sapped. What you're doing wouldn't work for me, but I'm glad you're finding it beneficial.

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Amusingly, I saw that after I had already added these things to my water. I've been drinking apple cider vinegar in small, diluted doses for a while now. How much it actually helps, no clue, but if it does even 1/4 for the good things people say it does, it's worth it!

Sorry!

Or you're welcome!

Very true! I feel like one of the things that hurts people's progress on the fitness journey is the idea there is a Right Way or a Wrong Way to do something, and they get so hung up on that. And if the Right Way didn't work, then nothing will.

We're all different, and we all respond to different stimuli and stressors. The key is finding those things that work for you--which means fitting in to your lifestyle. These things seem to work for me (at least for the moment), so I'll ride them out and see how it goes and adjust as needed.

Jaer
    was just popping in to report he walked for about 30 minutes at lunch. He's hungry, but energy isn't too bad. About 3 hours left to go.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A thank you for now, but I reserve the right to change my mind when I'm in the midst of the routine. :-)

Agree about the different strokes for different folks.

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Last night, I broke my fast around 6 (so between 47 and 48 hours, no calories) with a Thomas Delauer recipe: Bulletproof Bone Broth. The adjective coming from the bulletproof diet/coffee crave cause it had a lot of at in it. I didn't use his exact recipe, but it was basically
    • Beef bone broth
    • Coconut oil
    • MCT oil
    • Himalayan salt
    • cayenne pepper
    • ginger
    • and...there was something else. Maybe a few other little supplements...lemon juice maybe? Don't recall

It wasn't bad. Pretty easy to drink.

I think went to systema. Not a super cardio workout, but still a little extra activity.

When I came home, I actually ate something solid: venison and gravy on a bed of kale, some deviled eggs (H makes these for her snacks--they don't have mayo in them, so they aren't as fatty as usual deviled eggs), and some nuts. And that was it for me for the night. I also sipped powdered greens throughout the evening. I figured this was a good time to make sure I was getting my vitamins! Overall, still very low carb.

Slept well. Got up this morning and went to the gym. I didn't feel particularly energized or anything, but I felt sturdy. To put it in running terms, I felt like I wouldn't be able to go fast, but I could run for hours. I just had a feeling of hardiness.

And now, some numbers:

I weighed myself before systema (alas, not before having my bone broth, but it was only like 20 oz of fluid or something): 214.2. Up one pound across the day, but I had been drinking a lot of fluid at the end of the day, so not surprising to have gained weight, even on a fasting day

Before bed: 215.4. Not surprising I gained weight. I now had food digesting in the system.

Upon waking this morning: 213.0. I was surprised to drop so much over night. But I was still really low carb. It will be interesting to see the numbers tonight and tomorrow. I don't think I'll be holding at 213.

Today:
    BB squat: 45x8, 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x6, 385x5, 405x5, 315x6, 225x8, 135x8
    Single-leg leg extensions: 90x8, 8, 8
    Single-leg leg curls: 70x8, 8, 8
    Squat machine: 50x8, 200x6, 400x3
    Sauna: 10:00

There's a new squat machine thing at the gym. It's mostly upright, you get into a shoulder harness thing, and squat. It's interesting. It takes the lower back out of it, which makes it a lot easier to go lower. I think maybe I'll give this thing a try for 400 lb heavy squats. I'm having issues with my ROM due to my lower back (I feel that's the weak link), and in getting the weight on my shoulders. The rails are a good height at 365, but higher than that and the weight presses into my flesh and I lose and inch or so, and deracking/reracking becomes problematic.

Protein muffins, coffee, and banana (carbs and protein): 10:00 a.m.
    Salad with chicken, hard-boiled eggs, oil and balsamic dressing (fats and protein): 12:00 p.m.
    Chili and rive & beans (carbs and protein): still to be eaten

Not exactly sure what I'll have for dinner.

All seems to be good after the fast.

Jaer
    isn't even having the same hunger levels he was having Monday. So far, there doesn't seem to be a rebound effect of any kind from not eating for 48 hours.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

What are protein muffins, are they bought, or do you or your wife make them?

Congratulations on the successful 48 hour fast.

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Can I ask H how your mood was at 47 hours? :D

Hopefully you will see a sustained weight loss.

9. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    H makes them. She got the recipe from her Legion Diet thing, but doesn't care for them, so she makes them for me. They have zucchini and protein powder in them, and sometimes oatmeal.

Thanks!

You could, but H wasn't home before I left for systema, so she'd not have an info. Most of my coworkers didn't know what was up, and I don't think anyone thought I was in any way different. I think my mood was fine, though maybe my energy levels were down a little, so I was less chatty...? I don't typically get cranky when hungry. I do when bored, though.

Ok, long time no post. Over the past few weeks, I've continued lifting and fasting. H is still plowing through round 2 of her challenge. She took the opt-out and rolled the money into a membership (cause she decided to keep the membership independent of the challenge, and that "saves" your money, win or lose), so she's not actually on the hook to drop the full 20. She's still pushing through, determined to get as close to that as possible. She's been doing very well.

I've had a few long fasts:
    - one was a drive back from VA. We had "splurged" a little over the weekend, and H decided to just fast that day, and I didn't want to eat in the car if she was fasting, so I joined her. She did 36 hours (didn't eat the entire Monday). I stretched it into another 48.
    - We had a 36 hour fast last Friday (Black Friday) to reset from the Thanksgiving splurge, which was barely a splurge other than the wine and desserts (I don't care for most traditional Thanksgiving foods, so it's rarely a holiday in which I overeat; shocking that the most notoriously gluttonous day of the year isn't for me). I actually went for a 5-mile run this day! Felt fine throughout.
    - I am currently 68 hours into a 72 hour fast. It's actually been no more difficult than a 36 hour fast (which are a little more challenging than 24 hour fasts if I have nothing to do during the evening).
    - These fasts are 0 calories. Water, black coffee, and some supplements (not protein or BCAAs). Not even much in the way of artificial sweeteners.

I've been keeping up the heavy lifting routine (I'm not going to go back through my list and report it all). I did hit 5 reps at 440 hex-bar DL on Thanksgiving, though, so that was cool.

This week, however, I changed it up. I'm switching to M-W-F full body, high volume training.

Monday:
    Squat: 225x10, 10, 10, 10
    V-grip Row: 220 x 10, 10, 10, 10
    Bench: 225x 10, 10, 10, 8
    Knee lift + Leg lifts: 12, 12, 12, 12
    Sauna: 10

That would be one knee lift and then one leg lift = 1 rep

Tuesday:
    Evil 8 @ 105 11:05 (1 minute higher than the time I did it before)
    Cardio: 10

I forgot to do a cardio warm-up, and I think that slowed down my first round of the Evil 8 by a lot.

Wednesday:
    Walk and DL: 225x 10, 10, 10
    Lat pulldown: 160x12, 12, 12, 12
    Incline alt DB bench: 50sx 12, 12, 12, 12
    Decline crunches: 12, 12, 12, 12
    Sauna: 15:00

Walk and DL: I load a hex bar with 4 plates, I walk a few steps and then do a deadlift and then walk again and then deadlift. I usually go five to eight steps as needed to move past obstacles (I sometimes need to lift the bar higer to go over benches and other equipment) and have enough room for the deadlift. I get about 10 deadlifts in during this. I tried this a couple times in the past weeks, and it was exhausting and satisfying, so I thought with that amount of time holding the weight, it would count as high volume. I will try to add more rsets of it moving forward.

If the gym is full, I might need to rethink this (substitute in walking lunges or something) or set up in the hallway outside the weight area in the gym, which is probably what I'd do.

I've been keeping up my sauna time, 10-15 minutes after most workouts. I hope to have a weekend where I can go on a long run (out in the cold!) and then hit the gym on the way home. I think that would be a great run ender!

Jaer
    is planning on going home, breaking his fast with some liquid calories, then hitting systema. Then eating a steak after class!

10. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So numbers For Science!

Pre-fasted weigh (before going to bed 11/25 - well fed)

Ending fasted weight (11/28, 6:00 p.m.)

Going to bed weight (11/28, 11:00 p.m.)

Waking today (11/29, 6:30 pm)

I'm curious where my weight will eventualy return to and how long it will take to get there. I had a lot of fats and veggies and some meat last night--carbs were still very low. Today, carbs have been more plentiful.

This morning, I went to a group fitness class at my gym. The guy who runs it is a regular in the locker room and weight area when I am, and we chat often. The class was like 20 women, most of them older, and 5 guys. The instructor, Rick, at one point says "Wes, you need to get a kettlebell. Grab a 30 or the 35." and everyone is the class is like "Rick, he's a beginner! No way!" and "What are you doing to the guy?" One woman says, "Nah, he can do it! I've seen him in the weight room!"

Alas, the 30s and 35s were not easily found in the closest, and I was grabbing quick, so I only grabbed a 20. Most of it, I could have done with a 30, but I was glad for the 20 for my first class. Will get the heavier one next time (and I scouted out where they live).

So 45 minutes of that, and 10 minutes in the sauna today.

Jaer
    is going to be sore in some new places tomorrow.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you feel that the fasting results are meeting your expectations?

When I take group classes in my gym, which is a few times per week, the participants are also predominately women. A couple of weeks ago I was in a class that had more guys than women and everyone noticed it.

When you wrote about the relative ages of the women I got a chuckle because my first thought was, "Hmmm, in my classes almost everyone is younger than me." Then I remembered that you and I are of certain ages and I would be in the older category from your perspective. :lol:

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I do feel the fasting results are meeting expectations. I haven't noticed a lack of energy or loss of strength or endurance. Overall, I think they help the mind as much as the body, or more so. I went 72 hours without eating, and I wasn't even that uncomfortable from it. Which means when I get some weird stupid hunger pang 2 hours after eating, I know it's not a NEED for calories. Can't find any healthy dinner options on the road? Skip dinner--how bad could an unexpected 12 hour fast be, when 72 was fine?

From a learning and personal challenge perspective, I feel like I got exactly what I wanted from the experience.

Some of the guys from the class have talked to me in the locker room, asking if I was coming back. "We could use a few more guys in there!"

HA! Yeah. I think you would be right in the middle, though, of this group.

Friday (weight 206.6):
    Lat pull down: 120 x10 x10
    Bench press: 205x10 x4, 9+1
    Squat: 185 x10 x5

~1:00 rest between sets (watching the clock/using a countdown timer, so this pretty strict)
    9+1 meaning I did 9 reps, had to put the bar down for like a 10-count, then did the final rep

Saturday (weight 206.3):
    Systema

Sunday (weight 207.4):
    6 mile walk

Monday (209.0)
    Bench Press 185 x10 x6, 8+2, 6+4, 7+3, 7+3
    T-bar row: +90 x10 x5
    Squat: 185 x10 x5

H and I have been trying to figure out what to give as Xmas presents this year, and I had the thought, brandied fruit! I've been pickling and canning recently, and my bro gave me this book he had, which is from the 50s I think, all about pickling and canning and the like--and brandied fruit was listed, so we thought we'd give it a try.

Most of the recipes called for cherries or peaches, neither are in season, but we landed on a cinnamon apple recipe. Friday morning, I went to a local apple orchard before work and got a load of apples and apple cider from their market. I was temped by their cider apple donuts, which I know to be excellent, having had them before, but I resisted.

Alas, I used all my willpower resisting those donuts, and when I arrived at work and discovered a plate of Xmas cookies...well...let's just say that was the start of a sugary weekend.

Friday night, I made my first attempt at brandied apples. This resulted in me tasting quite a bit of brandy and the syrup being made with it. From this attempt, I made 2 jars of brandied apples.

The appling continued Saturday afternoon, which resulted in 6 more jars of boozy apples: 2 with rum, 2 with ginger brandy, 2 with bourbon. I had to sample all of these to make sure the flavor was right. And H and I ended up having some other cider drinks during the afternoon (apple cider boiled with clover, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, and orange zest, then add a shot of bourbon and a shot of ginger brandy--yum!).

Sunday, I went on a walk with my running pals--the one still has heel issues, so he can't run and it was too wet and rainy for riding bikes. We walked 6 miles and then had lunch, and it wasn't a healthy lunch.

After my weekend, I'm not surprised the weight traveled back up. I had figured I'd probably close back in on 210 after the fast; I actually thought it would be faster. I didn't expect to linger around 206 for as long as I did.

Jaer
    regrets nothing! He keeps strict most of the time so he can lighten up other times.

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

That made me laugh.

Good attitude.

What weight are you trying to get to?

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't have a goal weight so much as a goal look: I want what I call gentle or discreet abs--you can see there is 6-pack there, but it's not super defined. I'm thinking that would be close to 10-12% body fat. If I continued to lose fat after that point and got more defined, that wouldn't be a problem, but I don't want to do competition-bodybuilder levels of dieting in order to be super shredded. Just doesn't fit my lifestyle, nor would I be able to maintain it if I got that shredded.

I used to think I'd achieve that goal at around 200 lbs, but recent weight measurements have me thinking I might be closer to 190 before I get these.

Jaer
    was fatter than he thought, apparently.

15. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

The fasting sounds super intense but it's so interesting reading what you have to say about it. I know that on a much more minor scale, I've gotten accustomed to going about 18 hours between meals sometimes without it being an enormous deal. But once I get used to eating more food in a day it seems SO DIFFICULT to do that again. The mind and body are so fascinating.