1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The fast continues. I'm at 40 hours now, and holding strong. My energy levels are good, focus is good, and hunger is fine (though climbing now as it approaches noon).

So far, I've only had water and black coffee. My only supplements/additions have been the following:
    • Creatine (preworkout)
    • Beta alanine (preworkout)
    • Glutamine (preworkout)
    • Lemon juice (drops in preworkout)
    • Lime juice (drops in preworkout)
    • Apple cider vinegar (tsp diluted in like 10 oz of water in my preworkout)
    • ZMA (before bed)
    • L-tryptophan (before bed)
    I weighed in last night before be (hour 28ish): 216(.3?)

I weighted in this morning before leaving for the gym: 213(.1?)

I don't think I'll keep that level of weight loss once I refeed, but it is interesting to note. I need to remember to weigh in tonight before eating, and then again tomorrow morning and evening to see the return.

Today's workout: Cardio Conditioning
    Treadmill warm-up: 7:00
    Evil Eight: 105 @ 10:11
    push-ups: 21, 21, 21
    - superset into pull-ups: 8, 8, 8
    - superset into decline crunches: 13, 13, 13
    Cardio: 10:00
    Quick cold rinse in shower (like 30 seconds of COLD water) -> Sauna 10:00

That's a 32 second improvement on my Evil Eight time over last week. I decided to move the rope-pulls from the cardio day to my official back day (either Thursday or Friday; this will be determined by what is more sore tomorrow, legs or back, and then doing squats or back work as appropriate).

I left the gym feeling great. Purified. In the hours that follow, I feel pleasantly fatigued, but not worn. My shoulders and chest were feeling pretty toasted--more so than after benches yesterday--but not hurt. Just well used.

Improvement in the Evil Eight helps me get over my annoyance about loss of weight on the heavy lifts. It reaffirms my desire to be fit over being strong. This is a normal cycle for me, getting into a heavy lifting routine because (a) I'm good at lifting heavy and (b) I like those style of routines (for lack of better words, they are simple: benching X weight for Y sets of Z reps is not complicated) only to progress to plateau and reconsider my training because putting a lot of time and effort into adding 5 or 10 pounds to a lift isn't appealing to me.

This is not me knocking this cycle, either. I think it works well: I don't burn myself out and stop working out; I stay strong; and I improve my fitness. I'm in some of the best shape of my life.

I'm not switching routines now. I usually switch things up between Thanksgiving and Xmas anyway, so this year will be no exception. I'm thinking of switching to a full-body day twice a week and more conditioning style work other days. Maybe I'll actually sign up for a fitness class at my gym (I'm pretty buddy-buddy with the guy who leads the Tuesday and Thursday morning classes just cause we're in the gym at the same time every morning).

Jaer
    would be going way out of his comfort zone taking an actual class, but that's the whole point of having a Merry Fitmass!

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Your friend Thomas Delauer has a youtube video about drinking apple cider vinegar mixed with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper (not sure of exact amount), mixed with some lemon juice for additional weight loss (I think it is supposed to speed up metabolism). By the way, apple cider vinegar is tough on tooth enamel, so it is best to drink from a straw. I drink this, but not consistently.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You had to remind me of the Evil Eight....haven't done that sequence in years. A very efficient workout.

I know everyone is different, but for decades once I go too long without nutrition my blood sugar drops and my energy is sapped. What you're doing wouldn't work for me, but I'm glad you're finding it beneficial.

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Amusingly, I saw that after I had already added these things to my water. I've been drinking apple cider vinegar in small, diluted doses for a while now. How much it actually helps, no clue, but if it does even 1/4 for the good things people say it does, it's worth it!

Sorry!

Or you're welcome!

Very true! I feel like one of the things that hurts people's progress on the fitness journey is the idea there is a Right Way or a Wrong Way to do something, and they get so hung up on that. And if the Right Way didn't work, then nothing will.

We're all different, and we all respond to different stimuli and stressors. The key is finding those things that work for you--which means fitting in to your lifestyle. These things seem to work for me (at least for the moment), so I'll ride them out and see how it goes and adjust as needed.

Jaer
    was just popping in to report he walked for about 30 minutes at lunch. He's hungry, but energy isn't too bad. About 3 hours left to go.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    A thank you for now, but I reserve the right to change my mind when I'm in the midst of the routine. :-)

Agree about the different strokes for different folks.

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Last night, I broke my fast around 6 (so between 47 and 48 hours, no calories) with a Thomas Delauer recipe: Bulletproof Bone Broth. The adjective coming from the bulletproof diet/coffee crave cause it had a lot of at in it. I didn't use his exact recipe, but it was basically
    • Beef bone broth
    • Coconut oil
    • MCT oil
    • Himalayan salt
    • cayenne pepper
    • ginger
    • and...there was something else. Maybe a few other little supplements...lemon juice maybe? Don't recall

It wasn't bad. Pretty easy to drink.

I think went to systema. Not a super cardio workout, but still a little extra activity.

When I came home, I actually ate something solid: venison and gravy on a bed of kale, some deviled eggs (H makes these for her snacks--they don't have mayo in them, so they aren't as fatty as usual deviled eggs), and some nuts. And that was it for me for the night. I also sipped powdered greens throughout the evening. I figured this was a good time to make sure I was getting my vitamins! Overall, still very low carb.

Slept well. Got up this morning and went to the gym. I didn't feel particularly energized or anything, but I felt sturdy. To put it in running terms, I felt like I wouldn't be able to go fast, but I could run for hours. I just had a feeling of hardiness.

And now, some numbers:

I weighed myself before systema (alas, not before having my bone broth, but it was only like 20 oz of fluid or something): 214.2. Up one pound across the day, but I had been drinking a lot of fluid at the end of the day, so not surprising to have gained weight, even on a fasting day

Before bed: 215.4. Not surprising I gained weight. I now had food digesting in the system.

Upon waking this morning: 213.0. I was surprised to drop so much over night. But I was still really low carb. It will be interesting to see the numbers tonight and tomorrow. I don't think I'll be holding at 213.

Today:
    BB squat: 45x8, 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x6, 385x5, 405x5, 315x6, 225x8, 135x8
    Single-leg leg extensions: 90x8, 8, 8
    Single-leg leg curls: 70x8, 8, 8
    Squat machine: 50x8, 200x6, 400x3
    Cardio: 10:00
    Sauna: 10:00

There's a new squat machine thing at the gym. It's mostly upright, you get into a shoulder harness thing, and squat. It's interesting. It takes the lower back out of it, which makes it a lot easier to go lower. I think maybe I'll give this thing a try for 400 lb heavy squats. I'm having issues with my ROM due to my lower back (I feel that's the weak link), and in getting the weight on my shoulders. The rails are a good height at 365, but higher than that and the weight presses into my flesh and I lose and inch or so, and deracking/reracking becomes problematic.

Protein muffins, coffee, and banana (carbs and protein): 10:00 a.m.
    Salad with chicken, hard-boiled eggs, oil and balsamic dressing (fats and protein): 12:00 p.m.
    Chili and rive & beans (carbs and protein): still to be eaten

Not exactly sure what I'll have for dinner.

All seems to be good after the fast.

Jaer
    isn't even having the same hunger levels he was having Monday. So far, there doesn't seem to be a rebound effect of any kind from not eating for 48 hours.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

What are protein muffins, are they bought, or do you or your wife make them?

Congratulations on the successful 48 hour fast.

8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Can I ask H how your mood was at 47 hours? :D

Hopefully you will see a sustained weight loss.