1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:lol::lol::lol::eat::eat:

this serendipitous story had me rolling. glad it turned out well..... cuz i'm calling wicked bullshit on the guy's story!

damn you are tearing it up fitness wise. like crossfit volumes crazy! :bow:

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    By "two arm row" I mean this:

We did not. Next time!

Yeah, my friend who worked as a cook in a restaurant was like "That dude stole that shit off a truck. They do that to big chains and then sell them to smaller chains or individuals."

So maybe the extra deliciousness is knowing I'm eating stolen goods? But all the meat has been great so far!

Every day I try to think, "What have I done today to help me have a Merry Fitmass?" and when eating, "Does this help me move toward a Merry Fitmass?" and the like.

Ran last nihgt:
    5.24 miles, 53:40, average pace 10:15. It was dark again, but I ran a different part of the trail--or rather the path and road leading to the trail--which has lights. But I also had my next chest light, and that helped. Night runs are now feasible.

Chest day:
    Bench: 135x8, 225x8, 315x6, 325x5, 335x3
    T-bar row: +135 8, 8, 10
    Incline bench: 185 x8, 8, 8
    -giant set with decline bench: 225 x8, x7, x4 -> drop set to 135 x8
    Rope tricep push-down: 120 x12, 12, 12
    -superset with rope curl: 120, x12, 12, 12
    cardio: 10:00

Logically, I know that on a calorie restricted diet, I'm going to lose strength--or at least no progress; it was bound to happen eventually. That doesn't stop me from being annoyed that I haven't progressed significantly in my bench in 3 weeks.

Giant set vs. superset: I believe I read somewhere these are different. A giant set is when you do two lifts back to back that hit the same muscle group (two presses in a row) where as a superset is when you using opposing muscle groups (bench and row). I tried to use these definitions myself to distinguish between them.

I changed up my chest day routine a little. I had been doing ez-bar press to skull crushers followed by z bar curls. Cutting it close on time (too much rest in my heavy bench maybe), I thought about it and decided to cut the ez-bar routine. I'm already doing three chest presses, and my triceps are pretty drained from pushing things by the end of the decline bench. Better to tax them with the push-downs and get a different movement in there.

Also, I decided to switch up my back day routine. the way I was considering my lifts before was having a little chest work on back day and little back work on chest day just to have the extra hit. I doubt that the bench pressing I did yesterday significantly reduced my ability to bench heavy today...but still, I think I'm going to remove chest work from back day. Or more to put it more accurately, I'm not going to hit a muscle group the day before it's day.

Squat day will have still have the shoulder press and SL DL.
    Back day will get a leg component.
    Chest day gets a back component.
    DL day gets a chest component.
    Cadrio Condition Day is still stupid.

This way, I still get those "breaks" and each group gets a second hit, but I'm never going into a lifting day having just hit it the day before.

Will that increase my bench next week? Probably not. But just seems like a better plan.

No systema tonight, cause the guy whose house we were systema-ing at is moving away and he needs to pack. So I guess it's a rest night.

Oh, I should also mention that I've changed some of my evening habits. As you may recall, I'm a video game player, and I would usually spend my evenings relaxing and playing games on my computer. Last week and so far this week, I've not been doing that.

Whether running or having a systema class, I get home between 7:30 to 8:30 depending. Have "dinner" of some sort (yeah that late), clean the dishes, prepare my food and supplements for the next day (I have a pre-workout shake with Creatine, beta alanine, l-taurine, and a pre-made preworkout mix; I also take BCAAs which I drink while working out), gather my food (often involves chopping a salad), and pack my gym bag(s). I often take some time to foam roll, particularly after running, and then chug my "sleep tonic" (glutamine, l-tryptophan, apple cider vinegar) and take ZMA, and then just listen to mediation music for an hour or so before H decided to go to bed, and then I either go to sleep or read myself to sleep.

Basically, cutting out the jumping on the computer to play games in favor of prepping food and gym stuff and then just letting myself chill without distraction. Or with less distraction--I sometimes play on my phone a bit during chill time. Keeps me prepped for the early more gym times and for meals at work and focused on making health decisions.

Jaer
    is trying to cultivate healthfulness.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the info about the row.

I'm not a video game player so I may be somewhat biased, but it seems as if your new routine is for the better.

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm sure it is. Mindful quietness, foam rolling, and stretching seem like healthier habits than sitting in front of a computer playing games and getting my brain all wired.

Deadlifts: 135x8, 225x8, 315x6, 385x5, 405x3, 315x8, 225x10, 135x12
    -superset with 90# Farmer's walks: x4
    Front squat: 185 x8, 8, 8
    Decline squat w/twister: 25# 12, 12, 12
    - superset with upside down plate lifts: 12, 12, 12

12 Push-ups after every set: 14 sets x 12 push-ups = 168 push-ups

Cardio: 10:00

I felt great going into the workout and during it. I feel tired now!

I felt great at the 385 lift. The 405 was a bit of a struggle; I stopped at 3 because my grip was slipping more than because I needed to. I stopped there rather than, say, going for 425 (which I probably could have done) because my lower back and right shoulder have been tight/sore from Monday's and Tuesday's workouts respectively. The rolling and stretching at night are helping I'm sure, but I've been waking up sore, particularly in the shoulder. I didn't want to push it.

Yes, I do realize how silly it is to say "I stopped at at 405-pound deadlift cause I didn't want to push it."

But overall, I was just happy to get a full set of 385 and then get the 405 moving.

Jaer
    will take the "small" victory.

5. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Da facts are da facts; you're a strong dude and, rightly so, your standards are different than mere mortals. Well done sir on the lifts and also listening to your body.

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Friday:
    Manmakers: 25# 5, 5, 5, 5
    Burpees
    - superset to clean and press
    - siperset to chin-ups
    Rope pull: 120#, 6, 6, 6
    -superset with "bar swing": high 60# x8, mid, 50# x8, low 40# x8

Rope pull: long rope attachment on the cable machine, pulling hand over hand until I max the ROM of the machine, about 3 pulls per hand each set before returning it by "handing" it back.

"bar swing": straight bar attacked to the cable machine, and swing like it was a hammer/axe either high (over-head like splitting wood), mid (around the waist level, like chopping a tree), or low (up from ankles, like smacking someone in the groin with a baseball bat)

Saturday:
    Systema and general house chores

Sunday
    Ran 6 miles, 12:01 pace. Not the typical trail, but one I used to fairly often with my running buddy. Was solo this time. It's not a fast average, but I maintained a run throughout the whole thing other than the couple stops to take pictures (very brief pauses) and when I had to slow to go around some really muddy spots; it had rained overnight and this is a trail through the woods.

Also had a wedding shower to attend. I splurged a little on eating, but wasn't too bad, especially considering "lunch" as also dinner. H did really well holding to her diet despite the social situation (I'm much better about not caring to look the odd-man out by not eating or drinking in a group; she hates standing out like that). Her fifth weigh-in is today, and then the final is Saturday. She's planning on having a little splurge next Saturday.

Monday:
    Hack Squat machine: +90x8, +180x8, +270x8, +360x8, +410x8, +430x8, +450x8
    Ass-to-grasss squat-and-a-half: 135x8, 8, 8
    Leg Ext: 120s x 8, 7, 6
    Lying Leg Curl: 160 x8, 8, 8

I was a bit late getting to the gym today, and by the time I got to the weight room, the power racks were taken, so I just did the hack squat machine (well, 2 of the 3 racks were being used; the third had a mat laid out in it and some equipment around it so it looked like it was in use, but in my time there, no one used it, so I missed doing my squats cause someone else couldn't be bothered to put their shit away when they finished working out). I'm never sure how much the slide weighs on hack squat machines nor how much the angle of the slide takes off, so
    I just report raw weights on the machines.

Squat-and-a-half: 1 rep = going all the way down, coming back up to half way, all the way back down, then fully up. I did this to compliment the hack squats and get some good full-leg work with the squats. I feel like the machine hits some of the same muscles, but doesn't help train the full range of motion as well.

No time for cardio this morning.

Jaer
    doesn't mind varying his workouts as required when equipment is in use, but having to change cause someone else is slob sucks.

#206 Jaer, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I wish even if people don't want to take all of the plates off, they could at least take some of the plates off from one side, so you can tell the station is not still being used. That identical thing happens to me all the time. It surprises me how many people just walk away when they are done without taking off the plates, and it isn't just the newbies.

8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Truth! I'm not an overly judge-y guy, but I definitely judge people based on if/how they rerack their weights. The pegs are labeled! Don't put the 35, the 25, and to 10s on the peg for the 45s!

Tuesday
    two-arm pulldown (as warm up): 100 x12, 130x12
    one-arm pulldown: 120x5, 130x5, 140x4, 100x5
    one-arm row: 150x8, 155x8, 160x8
    one-arm upright row: 180x8, 8, 8
    DB curl run-the-rack: 70x6, 60x6, 50x6, 40x6, 30x6, 20x6, 10x10
    Cardio: 6:00

I was a bit late getting to the gym (we've been binge watching The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix and stayed up a little late to finish the series.

Ran on a new trail. It was a hard, slow run (like 3.5 miles at a 14:00 pace!). Hilly. Designed as a biking path more than a running trail, it even had biking skills areas like mounds of rocks to go over and the like. Got dark on me again, but the running light really helped. Lot of mountain bikers hitting the trail in the dark, too, which surprised me. The lights were as much for seeing the path as making others aware I was there.

Wednesday
    Bench: 135x12, 225x8, 315x6, 325x5, 335x5
    DB Incline: 60x8, 70x8, 808
    BB Decline: 225x10, 10, 10
    Tri-pushdown: 125x12, 155x12, 185x12
    Rope Tri-pushdown: 130x8, 8, 8

Had trouble rousing myself from bed. Stupid winter mornings, being dark and cold.

Heavy bench felt particularly heavy today, but I did get a few more reps on the 335, so progress, I guess.

My running buddy just convince me to sign up for a 10-miler this weekend. He's not been running much, so he'll be "slow", which puts him and me at about the same speed, I would guess. I ran this race before, years ago--my first 10-miler! At that time, the race route follows my normal 7-mile loop (it starts sooner and goes farther to claim the other 3 miles), so I'm very familiar and comfortable with the route...if it's the same loop, and it sounds like it is given the description.

So, the real question...do I try to get another run in Thursday or Friday, or do I rest up?

Jaer
    will probably go for the run Thursday or Friday.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Not sure what day the 10 miler is on, but given that's it farther than you've run in a while I'd lean toward doing a run on Thursday.

Cold and dark winter mornings....ugh!

10. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Ditto what the wise man above said regarding running on Thursday.

Technical trails do slow you down. You are too busy trying not to trip and fall. You are also looking at foot placement to not step on sharp sticks and stones. Even the shod runners do that.:D

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The run is on Sunday. I haven't done 10 in a few months, but I've done 7 in recent weeks, so there's that!

Oh, yeah, I'm not harshing on my 14 minute miles; that was a new trail, and gnarly! Lots of ups and downs and sweeps and rocks and roots to avoid. It was a harder run than I've done in a while.

OK, so it seems like I should do a slow and steady distance run tonight as a "warm up". Doable. Thanks, gents!

Thursday Lifting:
    BB DL: 135x8, 225x6, 315x6, 365x6, 415x0, 315x8, 225x10, 135x12
    BB Front Squat: 195x 8, 8, 8
    Back extensions: 12, +25x 12, 12
    -superset into leg lifts 16, 16, +10x 16

I woke up and got moving, but didn't really feel like I woke up completely. I was low energy doing into my DLs, and I could just feel it wasn't going to be a great day for lifting. I got the 415 off the bar, lowered it, touched the ground...and it was down completely. Didn't even try to lift it.

H has been super low carb at dinner recently, and thus I too have been low carb (after the weddning shower n Sunday; I was high carb on Sunday), but I also haven't been carbing up during the day much. Looking back, other than a some fruit and some powerade during my run Tuesday, I really haven't has much in the way of carbs. Some sugar in coffee. I think I had a potato for dinner Monday....

So yeah, I think I need to up my eating a little bit to better match the output.

I also want to switch up my lifting days during the week.

I think next week I'll start this schedule:
    Monday, Deadlift
    Tuesday, Chest
    Wednesday, Cardio Conditioning
    Thursday, Squats
    Friday, Back

I forgot to mention I'm also switching up my back routine. I still plan on doing one-arm rows, but not one-arm pull-downs. At 130, those have been super hard, which isn't the issue exactly, but I feel like it's a strain, particularly on my right arm, and resetting the weight. In order to not feel a "pull" (which I got last week), I was holding one arm with the other when returning the weight to top position.

It seems like too much risk for damage. I'll be returning to two-arm pulldowns as my standard, and maybe doing some lighter "finishers" with one arm. I like the movement and feel it hits the muscles differently, so I don't want to drop it completely. I just need to be smart about it.

Jaer
    needs to be careful not to hurt himself. He's not as young as he used to be.

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ran 8 miles last night, 11:16 pace. Not too shabby. Gives me hope for running on Sunday.

Was a little tired this morning (not surprised, considering I added an 8 mile run to my week) and as I was driving to the gym, I was not happy about my normal Friday cardio conditioning. My hamstrings and lower back were a little tight and tired from DLs and running. I really did not want to do burpees.

So I didn't.

Cardio conditioning:
    Cardio: 5:00 (light, warm up)
    Evil Eight complexes: 85# - 9:35
    Push-ups: 12, 12, 12
    - superset into pull-ups: 8, 8, 8
    - superset into decline crunches: 12, 12, 12
    Rope Pulls: 120x4, 140x4, 160x4, 180x4, 200x4

I wasn't really feeling all that into the workout at all, but easy 5:00 cardio got me in a better mind for it. I might need to add this to my normal routine now that it's cold and dark.

Evil Eight: I've done this many ties before, but not for a long time.
    Set 1: 6 reps DL, SLDL, Bent Row, Cleans, Front Squat, OHP, Squat, Good mornings -> rest (I keep my rests shorter than the time it took to do the set)
    Set 2: 5 reps.... -> rest
    Set 3: 1 rep ...

And so on. Last set was like 20 seconds as it is one rep of the full thing.

9:35 at 85# isn't a PR, but it's damn good for not having done complexes.

The Rope Pull was attached to a different cable machine, which allowed me to pull the full length of the rope, so I had more hand-over-hands per set, which is why the rep count is lower. Pulling 200 lbs was tough, cause I weight (as of last night) 218, so I barely outweigh the weight! But I do like that motion.

It was a good cardio workout, and I got from it what I wanted without burpees!

No running tonight, just relaxing. Systema and celebrating H's successful challenge (as on yesterday morning, she was at 21 pounds down, so looking good for a victory!) with food and beer (not how I would pick to celebrate a fitness victory, but she wants so pub food and there's a holiday party that night, and we haven't hung out with people for 6 weeks, so she's feeling isolated).

Sunday...10 miler.

Jaer
    is sure he can do it. He could have gone another 2 miles last night, but he was cold and tired and hungry. He'll be better prepared Sunday.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats to H on her successful challenge and I hope your 10 miler went well.

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    H was down 22.6 at end! She immediately rolled into the next challenge, though we did go out for pub food and beers Saturday night. She had a couple bagels through the weekend and the Indian food on Sunday night. And then right back to the diet and workouts Monday.

My run: 10 miles, 1:46 time, something like a 11:01 pace; ran the whole thing, no walking -- except when my running buddy made a joke around mile 8 that made me have to stop for a short spell cause it got me laugh-coughing. We'd have been under 11 minute miles if he wasn't so funny.

It was cold and damp (having rained over night), but overall, not a bad run given the lack of training/planning. It was a chilly after party, and we didn't stay too long after grabbing some grub (which included gelato, this race being sponsored by Cafe Gelato in Newark, DE).

I'm doing a bit of a deload/recovery week.

Monday
    Deadlifts: 135x8, 225x8, 315x6, 365x6
    Front Squat: 205x8, 8, 8
    Back extension 12, 12, 12
    - superset with leg lifts 16, 16, 16

Tuesday - no gym!

I dropped my car off at the mechanic Monday for an oil change and to get the rear breaks fixed. I was also leaking some sort of fluid. So I knew there was some stuff to be fixed. Of course, they found other things that needs some work, so my car remained through Tuesday. Got a ride to work with a coworker who lives pretty close, but no gym. Felt nice sleeping in a bit!

Wednesday
    Bench: 135x8, 225x12, 12
    - superset with T-bar row: +90x 12, 12, 12
    Lat pulldown: 160x12, 12, 12
    - superset with seated BB OHP: 115x12, 12, 12
    EZ-bar close-grip bench into skullcrushers: 60x12, 12, 12
    - superset with EZ-bar curl: 60x12, 12, 12

Was a bit late getting to the gym this morning because I had a hard time getting out of bed (didn't even stay up that late, but damn if I couldn't get moving this morning) and because I had to go pick up my car. The mechanic is right around the corner, so I walk home when I drop it off and walk there to pick it up. Nice little "warm up" cardio, but I didn't get out of the house to go get the car until after 7, which is usually when I'm leaving for the gym...so I was about 30 to 40 minutes behind schedule.

Still, it fits my plan for a deload week, so no biggie.

Tonight is my mother-in-law's b-day, so we'll have a quick dinner at home and head over to their place for that--and then try not to eat candy or cake.

Jaer
    is glad he's never home to hand out candy; that means he never has left over candy in the house tempting him into sugary death.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Nice pace. Especially with your lack of training (based on what you wrote). At that pace, if you kept on running, you could have finished a marathon in about 4:45 (if I can add correctly). :) Next race 1/2 marathon?

16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, there was little training. I had been running 2-3 times a week, 3-6 miles at a time, so I wasn't completely untrained. I got in a 6-miler and an 8-miler the week before race, but that was it for long runs since like August.

Today:
    lunge-lunge-squat: 135x6, 185x6, 6
    step ups (holding 2 50# DBs): 6, 6, 6 (each leg)
    leg extensions: 45s x8, 8, 8
    leg curls: 50x8, 8, 8
    seated leg press: 150x12, 12, 12
    cardio: 10:00

The deload week continues!

lunge-lunge-squat: exactly as it sounds; 1 rep = right lunge, left lunge, and a squat

For the leg ext and leg curls, I did them one leg at a time, and the only rest I had was while the other leg was working (so 8 reps left leg, right into 8 reps right leg, right into 8 reps left leg, and so on).

For the seated leg press, I pressed into a calf raise, and then when I rested, I rested in the "up" position, so I was holding the weight under tension the whole time.

Ate dinner at home before going to the in-laws. I had two small pieces of candy (a twixt and a butterfinger). Otherwise didn't have anything there, and H and I left before the cake was cut to avoid all that.

Jaer
    has been enjoying the break from his previous routine, which he's been doing for a few months (at least the main aspects of it). Is it time to change the workout?

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I suck at deloading.

I came to this conclusion today when I ADDED weight to what I did last week.

BUT, that's not really the indicator. After all, last week's cardio conditioning day was an experiment/new routine so the wight I used wasn't necessarily my "just right" weight. However, when doing the evil 8, my lower back and hamstrings were a bit tight/sore, and I was thinking, damn, I shouldn't be this sore at the END of a deload week! I effed it up!

I think it was the weighted step-ups, which I don't normally do, that has me sore today. All the other exercises I did this week were at least lower weight variations on my normal lifts (single-leg leg-curls and leg-extensions rather than double legs). I don't do lunges often, but I have done them in the past month or so, so the lunge-lunge-squats (which weren't heavy), shouldn't be the culprit either.

Cardio Conditioning Friday
    Evil Eight: 105 pounds (up 20 from last week), 10:43 (up 1:08 from last week)
    push-ups: 21, 21, 21
    - superset into pull-ups: 8, 8, 8
    - superset into decline crunches: 13, 13, 13
    Rope pull: 160x4, 180x4, 200x4

Due to poor planning/consideration of evening plans, no run this week (which might be best for deloading...). I should have gone for a run last night, but I figured tonight would be better as it is usually easier to leave work early on a Friday, which is necessary given how early it gets dark these days. However, H and I have plans tonight, which I forgot about, so it isn't likely that I will be able to fit in a run despite leaving work early.

My dad is coming over both Saturday and Sunday for construction work, so not much of a chance to get int a run this weekend either.

I feel silly slapping down a 10-miler last Sunday and then not having any follow-up on it.

Jaer
    will be back to lifting heavy next week, but maybe with some modifications to his routine. Keep the Big Lifts, but alter the lesser lifts.

18. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Monday:
    BB DL: 135x6, 225x6, 315x6, 365x6, 415x0, 385x3, 315x6, 225x8, 135x12
    Front squat: 185x8, 8, 8
    Back-extension: 13, 13, 13
    - superset with leg lifts: 21, 21, 21
    Dry Sauna: 10:00

I tried at 415 DL and couldn't get it off the ground. I was annoyed, but I kept telling myself I'm not lifting for maximum strength or even muscle gains. I'm lifting to preserve muscle on a calorie deficit diet. Strength loss was expected. Also, I did a lot of physical activity this weekend (construction work so moving lots of lumber--not working out, but activity) and the time shift and not having my typical preworkout (more on that later). There were many reasons my lift might be down, and it's OK that it is down.

I've been listening to a lot of podcasts/watching a lot of vids about many health things (more on that next), and I saw some cool things about sitting in a hot sauna (dry saunas are often hotter than steam rooms), so I thought I would try that out when I have time. I enjoyed it. I listened to my meditation and closed my eyes and just relaxed after my workout, but my heart rate increases and it felt like my muscles were getting a little pump--it kind of felt like I was doing light cardio even though I was just sitting there. Pretty cool.

Now, as to the rest of the stuff I've been learning: WARNING! Mass Info Dump ahead about fasting:

Rhonda Patrick (on the Joe Rogan Experience--I've been listing to a lot of the JRE this past week; he has really interesting guests and world views) was saying that the body works in daily cycles of eating and daylight and all that. From the moment we consume something that requires the metabolism to fire up to process it, we start a 12-hour clock of ideal digestion (anything outside this window, bad; ending the feeding window earlier, like 9 hours, even better). Coffee (more specifically caffeine), actually starts the digestive processes. So having a coffee at 6:00 a.m., for instance, fires up the system and starts the feeding window, even if you don't actually take in calories until like noon.

See more:

Thomas DeLauer (a YouTube trainer with a lot of info about fasting; he quotes a lot of studies, which I like) says that only things that cause an insulin response break a fast. Black coffee will not, but creamer, sugar, and some fake sugars will. BCAAs, whey protein, and other things that might be in preworkout mixes (cause it's hard to say what exactly is in them), could also produce an insulin response and should be avoided.

See more:

Starting the digestion clock and breaking a fast aren't quite the same, of course, so this is how I'm applying them for Merry Fitmass.

I'm firing up my time-restricted eating protocol again (I haven't been doing this for a while). Most days, I'll only have water (with some fasting safe supplements) in the morning until around 10:00 a.m., when I'll have a coffee and breakfast. Ideally, I'll have my final meal between 6:00 and 7:00 p.m. (staying in a 9-hour feeding window), but I can go up until 10:00 p.m. and still abide by the Rhonda Patrick 12-hour window.

I'm also planning tightening up my longer intermittent fasting. Only water, black coffee, and green tea--no preworkouts, powdered greens, or BCAAs, which have been stables during my fasts (hell, I even used a little cream and sugar in my coffee cause I had read previously as long as calories were low enough, it wasn't a big deal--and likely it isn't, but this is for Fitmass!). I've been doing a 24(ish) hour fast on Tuesdays and Thursdays as of late. I think I'm going to shift to a prolonged fast on Tuesdays, like 36 hours (i.e., not eating at all on Tuesdays) to 48 hours (not eating to dinner on Wednesday). Thursdays will likely have the same time-restricted eating protocol as defined above rather than making it a full fast day.

Shooting for a 48-hour fast this week (dinner tonight, nothing until Wednesday evening...maybe even Thursday morning, we'll see).

And that's my fasting/diet update report. Let the science experiment commence!

Jaer
    isn't planning on changing up his workout routine much, but we'll see how he does with diet changes and adjust from there.

#218 Jaer, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  19. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

My only complaint about the Joe Rogan podcast, it is too long. 3-4 hours, also his podcast is not exactly office friendly. That is where I first heard Rhonda Patrick (she is the one who got me into saunas - in a big way). Also I heard her interview of how important it is to fast for a minimum of 12 hours daily. I also have watched Thomas Delauer on youtube (though I am less of a fan that I think you are). Recently, I started watching Jeremy Either, he produces excellent videos (imho).

48 hours fasting. :bow: My plan is food free Friday's.

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, it is hard to listen to the whole JRE podcasts cause they are so long, but there are several channels that chunk things into relevant segments, like the Rhonda clip above, and that's how I've been parsing his material. H and I are headed to the VA for the weekend...maybe I should download some episodes for the 4.5 hour drive.

Thomas Delauer is a new find for me, and I found his presentation on things to be easy to follow and well paced. He picks a topic and hits the points. I hate it when I open a video to learn something, like how to ferment vegetables, and the person spends the first 10 minutes talking about other things. I would love a little more research data/citation (even if in the descriptions), and I'm not sure he's as well researched as he suggests. Or maybe I should say I'm not sure the research he presents is as well rounded as I would like. Even if he's cherry picking studies to back his content, at least he's backing up his statements up with actual science and not just bro science. I'm willing to buy into his ideas as the jumping off point for my current science experiment--I have to pick somewhere to start after all--and I can refine for myself from there.

I'll have the give Jeremy Either a try!

48 to 60 (depending on if I break Wednesday night or Thursday morning)--at least that's the goal!

Yesterday was a hungry day.

I had coffee (with cream and sugar) and protein muffins (carb and protein meal) at 10:00 a.m. (starting the digestive system). Was hungry after, but lasted until noon when I had my salad (fat and protein meal; oil and balsamic dressing, lots of veggies, and hemp heart--I forgot to bring the hard boiled eggs though). Even that wasn't quite satisfying, but I held off eating my chili (venison, turkey, and beef) and my beans & rice (protein and card meal) until like 2:30. STILL a not full. I had coffee and some nuts as my later afternoon snack. Dinner was venison (I had coated venison cubes with mustard and salt and pepper and then sous vided with garlic, onions, and mushrooms and the left over fat from when I browned the chili meat and just a little beef broth; I then skilleted the whole thing to brown the venison and onions, and I made gravy from the liquid); I served the venison over a bed of broccoli and kale and a mixed in kimchi and poured the gravy over it (fat and protein meal). At that point, I was feeling satiated. And finished eating around 6:45 p.m., so the timing worked.

As you might have noticed, I'm trying to have protein at every meal, but only mix with carbs or fats, not both. Obviously it's nearly impossible to not have some mix (the chili was pretty lean since it is 1/3 turkey and 1/3 venison, but the beef was fatty, and even the rice & beans dish has sauteed onions and mushrooms in it; the veggies in the salad and with the venison are carbs). I'm not sure how much such a thing matters, but I figured if I was tightening up on my diet with the fasting, I would be a little more purposeful with my feeding, too, and thinking about meals like this helps me make sure I'm getting my nutrition.

I haven't tightened up so much that I'm actually counting calories or portioning things out. I'm being cautious about intake, but overall, I'm trying to go by feel (AND THUS YOU ARE DOOMED TO FAILURE!!!).

I also started a jar of veggies fermenting. H pickled a bunch of cucumbers this summer (and last), but we've never tried fermenting them ourselves. I have green beans, carrots, garlic, asparagus, and cauliflower in the jar with red pepper flakes and pickling spices. Curious how it will turn out!

Now, lifting:

Bench: 135x5, 225x5, 315x3, 325x3, 335x3
    Alternating Incline DB Bench Press: 80s x8, 8, 8
    Decline BB Bench: 225x 8, 8, 8
    Rope Tricep Pushdown: 140x13, 13, 13

I'm not lifting for maximum strength. I'm not lifting for maximum strength. I'm not lifting for maximum strength. I'm not lifting for maximum strength. (If I repeat it enough, maybe I'll believe it.)

H and I walked to our polling place today, and then I went to the gym, so I was there much later than usual.

I had a black coffee (with some supplements like creatine and beta alanine) as my pre-workout drink (I'm not worried about exciting the digestive enzymes too early on a full-day fast, because even if my digestion falls to sub-optimal after the 12-hour clock runs out, I'm not eating during that time). Water during my workout. Another black coffee at work.

Energy levels are fine so far. Bit hungry (I'm used to not eating on Tuesdays, so today shouldn't be challenging), but it's reasonable and manageable.

Jaer
    isn't even chewing sugarless gum during these fasts. That's probably going to be the hard thing; he was chewing a few sticks a every fasting day previously.