1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks!

H has her second weigh-in today. Really hoping she continues making progress, just for her own motivation. She's been really solid on the diet and exercise--she's even said she felt like she had more energy this weekend, and her DOMS recovery is improving--so it would really cool if that reflected in the numbers. I feel that the number isn't as important as those other things, but the number is the motivator at this point.

This weekend, I helped my niece move out of my bro's house into a new pad she's renting with some people. She didn't have much stuff, but still, lifting heavy stuff and walking around with it. And then I spent the rest of my Saturday cleaning debris from my garage; chunks of brick and block from where we cut the hole for the back door.

While I was out doing chores, a meat truck rolls by and the driver yells, "You like steak?"

I guess I look like someone who likes steak.

Anyway, turns out this guy was delivering meat from Baltimore to a restaurant and the order got cancelled...so he had boxes of meat he was off-loading for cheap. He showed me the normal pricing on the brochure (kind of like a Omaha steak thing; box of mixed beef cuts like t-bone and NY strip and ribeye) for if I just ordered it: $368. He gave me the military discount: $298. He then threw is the box of seafood for free. He would have tossed in the box of chicken for $100, but it was mostly pre-marinaded (each breast was vacuum sealed in the marinade), which doesn't work for H's diet, and we just didn't have room in the freezer

So yeah, not only do I look like someone who likes steak, it turns out I'm the kind of person who buys steak off the back of a truck from random meat-seller.

Funny part was I came in and told H "I'm making a shady deal and buying meat from the back of a truck." Her only concern was us fitting it in the chest freezer. Which we emptied complete and restocked with the new boxes of meat. It seemed like a deal at the $368 to be honest. The amount of fish we got for free is insane! We tried the NY strip last night on the grill--it was delicious! I don't think we've had steaks so good since we bought that cow that one time years ago. All the meat is individually sealed, which makes it easy to use.

And the guy gave me his cell and said since I helped him out, he's give me the same deal again if I ordered in the next year. If we get through it all in that time--and the rest of it is even half as good as the steaks we had last night--I would definitely do that!

Sunday, more brick removal and putting in a 56" concrete and rebar lintel header for over the door--in hindsight, a thing my Dad and I should not have done just the two of us...on ladders. Oy that thing was heavy!

Monday:

Squats: 135x6, 225x6, 316x6, 365x6 (12 pushups), 385x6 (12 PU), 405x8 (12 PU), 315x8 (90# Farmer's Walk), 225x10 (FW), 135x12 (FW)
    Standing DB Arnold Press: 40sx10, 50sx10, 60sx10
    superset into DB Stiff-leg DL: 90sx8, 8, 8
    Leg Ext: 105sx10, 10, 8
    Lying Leg Curl: 145x8, 8, 8
    Cardio: 10:00 on elyptical

My ROM on the 405 squat wasn't great, but that's why I reverse pyramid, cause I can get back to Ass-To-Grass depth on the lighter weights.

ROM on the last leg curl wasn't great other, so I dropped into a couple 115s to get a full burn.

Systema tonight.

Oh, not sure if I ever reported this: So the studio where I take systema cut down to Saturday class only (which I missed due to moving my niece's stuff), but we've been doing the Monday and Wednesday classes in the basement of one of the other students--nice big open area with mirrors and carpets cause he taught tai chi. Alas, he just got a new job in South Carolina and will be moving. Trying to find another spot for during-the-week classes. Once a week is fine for maintenance, but feels like you can't really improve with that kind of frequency.

Jaer
    is having a hungry day! Good thing he brought a huge salad for lunch.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Quite the meat truck story!

Nice lifts.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I liked your story about the meat. :lol:

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had an interesting time thinking about the serendipity of the meat truck.

1. I had been helping my niece more, and missed systema because of it, but got home earlier than I would have had I been in class.
    2. H and I had been planning on going to Longwood Gardens to enjoy the nice weather, but we had some chores to do first--I wanted to cut the grass and clean up some of the debris. Had I been coming home later from class, perhaps I would have just cut the grass and we'd have gone to Longwood.
    3. As I was cleaning debris, H got into cooking something and then timing as it as, she decided we weren't going to Longwood...so I continued cleaning debris.
    4. Because I was out cleaning debris and other stuff in the garage, I saw my neighbor pull up to his house AND had some vegetable pots to give back to him, which I did and resulted in chatting a little.
    5. As I was returning to my garage, so still in my driveway, not deep in the garage where I might not have been seen, the truck pulled up and the dude shouted at me.

At any of those point, something could have been different and I might have missed the steak truck. It's a weird thing to think of how random chance stacks up sometimes. How many opportunities are missed because of a small decision earlier in the day.

Butterfly effects indeed.

Tuesday:
    One-arm pulldown 60x6, 120x6, 130x6, 140x4+1 (both hands), drop-set to 2-arm 140x10
    N-grip bar bench 165x 5x5x5, 5x5x5, 5x4x5
    One-arm row 140x8, 145x8 150x8
    Dips BW 12, 12, 12
    One-arm upright row 150x10, 10, 10
    - superset into side delt raises 15x10, 25x8, 30x8
    - superset into front delt raise 15x10, 25x10, 30x8
    run-the-rack alt DB curls 70x6, 60x6, 50x6, 40x6, 35x6, 25x6, 20x6, 12x8
    Cardio 10:00

Some of the DB were missing from the rack, which is why I skipped the 30s and 20s during some of those.

The N-grip bar bench set: It's one of those weird bars with the three hand positions, a bit like this thing, so I load it with 165 and do 5 reps at the inner most position (which is angled), 5 more at the middle position (neutral grip), and 5 more at the outer position (bit of a wide, normal bench grip), so 15 reps at 165, but those middle positions hit the chest and tri hard and get a solid burn.

Run the rack, as a reminder, is just DB curls: grap the heaviest I think I can do and do as many as I can. Set it, move down, repeat. It is exhausting and really gets the arms pumped. Even those 12#ers were tough at the end! 70# DB curls is a new PR, and to be clear, they were not pretty curls. Not super cheaty with a bunch of swing, but not great ROM

Hope to run tonight. It's been nearly a month since I hit the trail, so I don't think I will go far or fast, but the weather is good for it.

H was down 3.5 pounds at her weigh-in and is feeling good about that, so yay for a successful week for her!

Jaer
    is excited to be running again!

5. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ran last night. 4.7 miles at about an 11 minute mile, which is a pretty good time for me in general. Awesome, particularly after a month not running. Felt really good, too, which is even better than a good time. Trying again tomorrow.

Wednesday lifts:
    Bench: 135x6, 225x6, 315x5, 325x4, 335x4, 345x2.5
    n-grip chin-ups: BW x8, 8, 8
    Incline bench 185x 8, 8, 8
    superset with decline bench 225x 8, 5, 3 (drop set to 135x8)
    T-bar row: 115x 8, 8, 8
    ez bar narrow grip bench to skullcrusher: 100x8, 90x10, 80x10+2
    superset with ez bar curl: 100x8, 90x10, 80x12
    rope tricep push-down: 100x12, 120x9, 10
    cardio: 10:00

Been getting to the gym a littler earlier this week, so I toss in some random lifts (like the shoulder lifts yesterday and the push-downs today). I think the extra shoulder work yesterday might have been the reason I couldn't do more decline benches. I was failing in the front delt area, I felt, rather than chest or arms.

Or maybe it was the super heavy bench press...but that wasn't too much more than I did last week, so I think it was yesterday's lifts.

Jaer
    has shawarma for lunch today. It was tasty!

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Nice run and lifts.

What is Shawarma?

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Do you have a spotter? I ask because you wrote 2.50.

I am pretty impressed when I see someone benching (3) 45 lb plates on each side.

8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's Middle Eastern kebab-roasted meat with veggies. In this case, it was chicken and in a "sandwich" form, which means (from this place), in a pita-like wrap. It was really good! My coworker and I split a Shawarma and a lamb gyro. The gyro was good, too, but I've had better and feel like those are easier to find at other food places, where as this was the first place I've seen Shwarma.

Also, this.

No spotter. I put 2.5 cause I didn't go very far down...or I didn't make it to lock-out and used the mid-level bail rail. I can't remember. But that denotes me feeling my ROM didn't deserve a full 3.

In other news, I did something "stupid" yesterday.

I went back to the gym for a second workout. I've been curious to try it, and I didn't have systema and I had run Tuesday and was planning on doing so again Thursday, so I thought, another round at the gym! Let's do this!

Wednesday, Part 2
    Sprint Intervals on treadmill: 15:00
    Bench Press: 135x10, 225x10, 275x8
    Wide-ish grip cable rows: 200x10, 220x10, 240x10
    KB Swing: 70x20, 20, 20
    Back Extension 10, 10, 10
    - superset with leg lifts 12, 12, 12
    Cardio: 10:00 elliptical

My interval looked like this:
    2:00 - 3
    1:00 - 6
    1:00 - 7
    1:00 - 3
    1:00 - 8
    1:00 - 9
    1:00 - 10
    2:00 - 3

That's not a huge volume workout, but I was really sweaty and pretty gassed after. Came home and did 15 minutes of foam rolling.

I went too bed a little too late, didn't fall asleep well, and woke up a few times during the night, so not the best sleep (possibly cause I did a second workout?).

Woke up this morning feeling worn. Obviously the double workout was over-doing it, particularly on my diet (which isn't crazy, but I am watching in-take). Today's lifts suffered for it, I think.

Thursday
    Deadlift: 135x6, 225x6, 315x6, 385x5, 405x1, 315x6, 225x8, 135x12
    Back squat: 175x8, 8, 8
    Decline crunches with a twist (holding a 25# plate): 10, 10, 10
    Upside down plate lifts: 25x 8, 8, 8
    Elliptical: 10:00

The 405x1 was disappointing. I did better last week. I might have been able to get a second rep, but I put it down, took a break, tried again. I might have struggled up another couple reps, but my ego isn't so great that I needed to move it. I am expecting some strength stagnation/loss given the calorie restriction, but I wasn't thinking it would be so dramatic yet. I'm sure the second workout/poor sleep last night as big factor.

Feeling drained and tired now, but not overly so.

Jaer
    thinks a good night's sleep will have him feeling alright.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Strong and voluminous lifts; no wonder you're feeling drained.

10. macdiver

Recovery is as important as doing the work.

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Recover is for smart people, not for Jaers!

Friday:
    Because I hit all main lifts during the week, I decided Friday would be cardio conditioning
    Burpees 15, 15, 15
    - superset to Clean and Press 95# 8, 8, 8
    - super set with pullups 8, 8, 8
    Renegade rows to DB SLDL to DB OHP (one continuous motion; not quite Paddy's Manmakers)
    20# 5, 5, 5
    Rear lunges
    135x8, 8, 8
    Cardio: 10:00

Saturday
    - systema in the morning
    - trail running with friends in the afternoon - though it was more a nature hike cause one of the guys has bad ankles and the roots were scaring him, so he didn't feel comfortable running. My normal running buddy and I occasionally charged ahead and then came back, just so we could get in a little more speed and distance. I like running with friends, but I was disappointed we were slowed so much, and I felt like I had a lot of oomph in me for speed.

Monday
    Squats: 135x8, 225x6, 316x6, 385x6, 395x6, 405x6, 315x8 (90# Farmer's Walk), 225x10 (FW), 135x12 (FW)
    Standing DB Arnold Press: 50sx10, 10, 10
    - superset into DB Stiff-leg DL: 90s x8, 8, 8
    Leg Ext: 110sx10, 10, 10
    Lying Leg Curl: 145x 8, 8, 8
    Cardio: 10:00 on elyptical

Tuesday
    One-arm pulldown 60x6, 130x6, 135x6, 140x4+1 (both hands)
    two-arm pulldown 200x6, 220x6, 240x6
    N-grip bar bench 165x 5x5x5, 5x5x5, 5x5x5
    One-arm row 150x8, 8, 8
    Two-arm row 200x8, 220x8, 240x8
    One-arm upright row 160x10, 10, 10
    Dips BW x36 (went until exhaustion)
    Cardio 10:00

Tuesday night
    Run! 4.3 miles, 44:10
    Splits
    Mile 1: 9:00
    Mile 2: 9:45
    Mile 3: 12:21 (I stopped for a short walk and gatorade break)
    Mile 4: 10:38 (small gatorade breaks and it was too dark for speed on the wooded trails)
    Mile 4.3: 8:51 (back on pavement, rushing to car)

I haven't run a steady sub-10:00 minute mile in a long time. Felt really good to get out there and put down some good speed. I just need to time it better (I also just ordered a chest-harness light).

Wednesday
    Bench 135x8, 225x8, 315x5, 325x4, 335x1 (boooo!)
    T-bar Row +135x 8, 8, 8
    Incline bench 185x 8, 8, 8
    - superset with decline bench 8, 7, 5 -> dropset to 135x 8
    Narrow Grip Bench with EZ curl into skullcrusher 100x 8, 8, 8
    - superset with ez barl curl 100x 8, 8, 8
    Rope tricep push-down: 120x12, 12, 12
    -superset with n-grip chin up with a slow descent 3, 3, 3
    cardio: 10:00

Wednesday night
    systema

Jaer
    needs to get changed to make it to class. But he needs to keep posting here, too, so he wanted to log the last few days before he missed another day. Some of those listed numbers for Monday and Tuesday might be wrong; he's going by his memory, and that's never a Good Thing.

12. macdiver

Sub 10 on trails is great. The aforementioned roots, stones, rocks, and MONKEY BALLS tend to slow you down.

13. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, those things suck!

Fortunately there aren't many on that side of the trail I run on. Gravel and potholes, yeah, but not so much roots and monkey balls.

I felt good going into lifting today, but the results weren't there.

Thursday
    DL: 135x8, 225x8, 315x3, 385x1, 2, 315x8, 225x10, 135x10
    Front squat: 185x6, 6, 6,
    Decline crunches with a plate twist: 25x12, 10, 10
    Upside down plate lifts 25x10, 10, 10

I got to the gym a little late, but worse, my bluetooth headset broke yesterday; I was able to pick a new, cheap plug in headset at the gym store, but still, extra time spent on that.

I didn't have straps on for the 315 (I usually don't on the warm up) and my left hand grip couldn't hold for more than 3 reps. I thought 385 would be no issue, but then I tried once, couldn't lift it. Reset, tried again, 1. Reset, tried again, 2. Called it there.

I wonder if the early end on the warm-up set contributed to that fail....

Conditioning work tomorrow. Maybe a run after work tomorrow, if the weather is nice. More construction work this weekend.

Jaer
    might just need to eat a little more. That or not worry about a little strength loss while cutting.

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Firday - Cardio Condition
    Paddy's "Manmakers": 20x 5, 5, 5, 5
    Burpees: 15, 15, 15
    -superset to Clean and Press: 95x 8, 8, 8
    -superset to chin-ups: 8, 8, 8
    Rope attachment cable fun times
    Crunches on bench: 12, 12, 12
    - superset to back extension 12, 12, 12

Paddy's Manmakers were, as I recall, the following progression:
    DB lunge (right) -> DB lunge (left) -> DB squat -> down to push-up position -> renegade row (right) -> renegade row (left) -> push-up -> up t stand -> DB SL DL -> DB Delt side raise -> DB OHP = 1 rep

So 4 sets of 5 reps of that nonsense.

Rope attachment: This gym has a four foot long rope with hook positions on both ends. I hooked it up to the cable machine (the one with right and left positions) and played around with moves anywhere from 60 to 120 pounds. I rowed, I pressed, I curled, I pulled, I did chopping motions, I played tug-of-wat against the machine. I didn't record any particular movement. I rested when I wanted and moved through what lifts I could. It was very cardio intense, coming from the burpee progression. I'm sure I hit some weird muscles I don't normally get with the typical routine.

Crunches: I sit perpendicular to the bench, extend to a near flat lying position (butt on bench, but legs out one side, torso and head off the other) with hands holding the bench so I don't fall off, and then bring knees up and chest forward. Nothing revolutionary, but I find it more difficult than just sitting on the floor and doing crunches/sit-ups.

Planning to get out of work early to run tonight.

Jaer
    likes the brisk autumn weather than showed up today!

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Quite an intensive workout!

16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ran Friday night. Got out on the trail at a much more reasonable time. Slower pace, but I'm not disappointed. 7.09 miles, 11:18:16, average of 11:18 pace, which is pretty good for me.

Saturday and Sunday was mainly construction work with my dad. No systema on Saturday, but we did haul 1060 pounds of brick and block to the dump.

Monday
    Squats: 45x8, 135x8, 225x8, 315x6, 385x6, 405x6, 425x6, 315x8, 225x10, 135x12
    - superset with BW full squats 12 12 12 12 12 12
    - superset with 90# Farmer's walks 1 1 1 1
    Standing DB Arnold Press: 60s x9, 10, 9
    -superset with DB SL DL: 100s x8 , 8, 8
    Leg Extension 115x 8, 8, 8
    Lying Leg Curl 150x 8, 8, 8

My ROM wasn't great on the 425 squat....but it was also a 425 squat, so yeah, I was a little cautious about how low I was willing to go.

ROM wasn't full on the leg extensions, either. I usually get closer to, if not achieve, full knee extension at the top, but the last few reps of each set didn't get max height. Still, overall, happy with the numbers.

Systema tonight.

Jaer
    is a little sore in his lower back now. Hope systema helps loosen that up. Having 425 on a bar on the shoulders...requires a lot of stabilizing.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Between the construction and your weight lifting you moved a lot of heavy things. Also, nice run. :-)

18. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

425 lbs - that is (4) 45lb + a 10lb plates on each side. :bow:

If you ever film yourself doing it, please post.

19. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So you can see my crappy ROM? Sure, if I ever film it, I'll share! I took a picture of the racked weight to send to friends, but that's just a bunch of plates.

Tuesday:
    One-arm lat pulldown: 60x8, 100x6, 130x6, 135x5, 140x4
    Two-arm lat pulldown: 220x8, 180x10, 120x12
    N-grip bench: 175x 5x5x5, 5x5x5, 5x5x5
    One-arm row: 150x8, 8, 8
    Two-arm row: 240x8, 180x10, 140x12
    BW dips: 12, 12, 12
    One-arm upright row: 170x 8, 8, 8
    -superset with BB curl 60x10, 70x10, 80x10

I pulled a muscle in my right arm when returning one of the one-arm pull downs; I was easing the handle up as I finished the rep, and I lost tension on it and it released quickly. It didn't hurt, tear, or dislocate anything, but the sudden jolt seems to have dinged something, and now I have a tight trap/neck on the right side.

Hope to get out of work early enough to go running. I have my new chest light as a back up, just in case.

Jaer
    is hoping to win the mega-millions jackpot tonight. If he does, you can all have memberships to his gym when he makes one.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    How do you perform a two arm row?

Hope you win the jackpot. $$$$$