1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Jaer's 2017 Fitness Journal

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Jaer, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I've decided to come out of the shadows of the private section. My hope is that a new journal will kickstart my journal upkeep and that by being in the public section, I'll keep more up to date on the other forum members, cause I've been woefully behind on reading other journals.

This being a public-facing journal, maybe some introductions are needed: Hi, I'm Jaer. But not really, cause that's just a username.

I've been on these forums for 13 years now, and I'm still not fit.

OK, that's massively unfair. In that time, I've run a half-marathon and deadlifted 450lbs. I've never carved out my abs, but I have been/continue to be varying levels of fit.

I need to do new measurements and get new pics for the new journal. You'll find keeping metrics like these is one of my downfalls. I'm awful at measuring and picture-taking.

But I'll guesstimate that I am currently 5'10" and 227 lbs.

I work a desk job (it would be easiest to say I'm an editor and the social media manager of my company), but I'm lucky in that my job is flexible enough that I work from home most Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Very useful for working out as my gym is in my basement.

The "Workout"
    My current workout routine has been and will continue to be as follows:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday -- late morning/early afternoon Insanity fitness vid. I like these because they are intense, body-weight cardio, often interval training, and they have a stretching section. I'm a fairly inflexible person, and I tend to forget to stretch. These force the issue as well as kick my ass with cardio.

Tuesday, Thursday -- weight training before work. I usually get in about 30 minutes of lifting before I go to work. I usually do supersets of lifts, so a round of benches followed by chin-ups, that kind of thing. I tend to keep it intense with a lot of cardio effort. I'm not lifting for maximum strength improvement. I think of it as strength improvement and muscle retention.

Monday, Wednesday nights; Saturday morning -- I take a martial arts class (Systema, it's a Russian martial arts) at my father-in-law's karate studio. It's an hour-and-a-half class, usually starts with 30 minutes of warm-up like push ups, squats, sit-ups, rolls, and the the like. The class is heavy into throws and putting people to the ground, as well as rolling away from danger, so it involves a lot of standing up (i.e., body weight squats). I sometimes come away very sweaty. I always try to make all 3 classes a week. I don't always succeed.

The Eating Plan
    I don't have one.

Ah, that means I'm doomed to failure!

Not so much. I have experimented and had a lot of success with Intermittent Fasting (IF) over the years. It works for me, and I find it a satisfying way of (not) eating. I am most fond of the Brad Pilon Eat-Stop-Eat (ESE) style over the Lean Gains style.

ESE is basically a 24-hour period once or twice a week in which you do not eat. Have dinner 6 pm on Monday, don't eat again until 6 pm Tuesday. Boom. That easy.

Lean Gains (and others like it) are daily, small eating windows followed by longer fasting windows, so maybe you only eat between noon and 8 pm every day. 8 hour feeding window followed by 16 hour fasting window every day. I've tried it. It was fine, but it doesn't fit in as well with how I like to set up my days.

Over December, I was following ESE 2 days a week, Tuesday and Thursday, with good success. I would say I feel very lean and am seeing muscle definition I've not had before. As noted early, I'm crap about measurements so I can't verify any exact success except what I see and feel.

And the great thing about ESE on Tuesday and Thursday is that those are the days I am in the office, which means I can avoid junk food, especially during the holidays. Most people might think that the junk food would surely wreck such a diet plan, but I find it is easier to avoid cake and cookies and what-not if I'm not eating at all. I can't eat anything so I really can't eat that. If I was eating, then suddenly I could have one cookie--and it never stops at one anything. I basically am shutting down my ability to have junk by not eating; it gives me willpower to avoid crap that I wouldn't normally have.

That might sound strange. My wife sure as hell doesn't get it: She thinks that logic is totally backwards, but somehow it works for me.

We eat very healthy normally: homemade food, not prepackaged stuff, and we rarely eat out. I just tend to overeat at meals due to a lack of feeling satisfied/full. I just keep going. I have friends who find it a form of entertainment to go to buffets with me to watch just how much I can eat (a rarity these days).

The Supplements
    I'm not the biggest supplements person anymore. I have the occasional protein shake, but I don't have these as daily dietary supplements. I often eat within an hour or two of working out on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and after my martial arts class on Saturdays, so I don't feel the need to have shakes as a postworkout recovery thing.

I have recently started taking a preworkout again, Nitraflex, at the recommendation of a friend. I don't think it is game-changing, but it certainly helps me get in the workout mindset. Because I workout at home on my work-from-home days, I've had times where I am so engrossed in work, I don't take my time to do a workout, and then suddenly it's like 4:00 and too close to class time. However, I find that by taking the 2 minutes to make the preworkout, I'm guaranteed to do the workout 30 minutes later.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have BCAAs while lifting because I lift in the morning before work and those are my fasting days, so I won't be eating until 6 pm that evening. I feel like the aminos are a good idea.

I do sometimes take some sups for sleeping, like ZMA and melatonin.

And that is the summary of my fitness plan heading in to 2017! Nothing new, really; same thing I was doing successfully through December (except for the past week, cause I had off and there were no classes, so I had a few extra rest days in there). This is not a New Years Resolution. It's just a new journal.

Jaer
    signs off of his emails with this weird little third-person thing. He's been doing it for years and years now. It's just kind of his thing, cause he doesn't have a set signature.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

For those that don't know Jaer, let me tell you he's a beast. Strong, trained in martial arts, and has run distance races. And a very nice guy!

Good luck to you in 2017.

3. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    He also has webbed feet, and cats.

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Cats yes. Webbed feet, no. That would make wearing Vibrams very uncomfortable.

Wednesday:
    Max Cardio Conditioning: 47 minutes video time. I did it in 57, cause I paused for longer breaks after the warm up and opening stretch and cause I replied to a couple emails that came in while I was doing the video.

I do these videos in my basement, but I stream them from my home computer on my company laptop, and my email is open so sometimes I pause to reply to emails when it is necessary.

An hour and a half of Systema last night. It was a really good class; studio was closed over break so I hadn't been in like 2 weeks. Felt good being back in it.

Thursday:
    "Landmine" Row, 1 hand: bar +90# 8, +135# 8, +160# 6
    superset with DB Incline Press 65#s 12, 12, 12

Cable Row + Cable Reverse Flie 42# 10, 10, 10
    superset with Cable Cross 42# 12, 12, 12

I was a little late getting to my workout this morning because I had to prep dinner when I got up.

Let me explain some of my notations:
    • "Landmine" Row = I don't actually have landmine plate, I just put the one end of the bar in the corner and lift the other side that has the plates.
    • bar + X# = I don't know exactly how much weight of the bar I'm lifting; one corner is always on the ground, so I can't count the full 45#s of the bar. Instead, I just list the weight of the plates. 90# is two 45# plates, 135# is 3 45#s, and the 160# is 3 45# and a 25#.
    • "superset with" = I do one set of the first exercise and then immediately do a set of the next exercise, with only enough time in between to get in position to do the second lift.
    • exercise + exercise = means 1 rep involves doing 1 rep of the first exercise immediately followed by 1 rep of the the second exercise
    • Cable exercise = I have resistance/tension bands and these have a "weight" on them. For the 42#, I am using both a 19# and 23# band connected to the same handles. I try to get them in position to the full extension of the exercise is as far as the bands will go, but they are tension bands, so it is hard to know just how much poundage I am applying to do the work. The exercises above had the bands around the pole in my basement that supports the I-beam that holds up my house. Sometimes I wrap the bands around my pull-up bars, but this usually requires me to loop the bands a few times so they are the right length, and loops will be noted.

And now, I shall talk about tonight's dinner. We are having a bolar roast, one of the last few cuts of beef we have from the "happy cow" we got about a year ago. By "happy cow" I mean that I purchased 1/4 of a cow that was owned and raised by a friend of a coworker, and the cow was grazed and never given hormones--it was what you think of when you think of a cow on a farm. And it is delicious! Every piece, even the ground meat, has been better than anything that's come from a store.

The bolar roast is a huge chunk of beef. I rubbed it with salt and pepper, browned it in bacon fat, and tossed it in the crockpot along with some chunks of carrot, celery, onions, and potatoes. I deglazed the pan with red wine and added that to the pot, and some extra wine so good measure. Diced some garlic, too, and pushed some garlic slices into meat where I could. I started that cooking at 8 am, so by the time I get home around 6 pm, it will have had 10 hours cooking at low. Looking forward to dinner!

H will probably be home before, so she'll make oven roasted potatoes and some sort of veggies.

It's a fasting day, so just some coffee for me during the day (after the preworkout and the BCAAs I had while lifting).

Jaer
    will have a good appetite for dinner, that's for sure!

5. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Jaer,
    Looking forward to following your journal. I am too busy now to read it, but I will do so tonight. Good luck.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

You have some good eats ahead of you!

7. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

What cut is the bolar? I'm not familiar with it. Great preparation on it.

Nice workout. Is the cardio video part of the insanity series?

Welcome to the ground floor with your journal.

8. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I have no clue what a bolar roast really is, but it was a damn big hunk of beef with some fat marbling, but not a whole hell of a lot. Not a fatty cut.

Let's see what the internet has to say about it....

Blade roast (UK) or bottom sirloin (US).

It turned out very tender, good flavor, flaked apart easily. I was home before H, so the roasting of the potatoes and steaming of the broccoli and making of the gravy fell on me. Which is fine. I handled it with grace and poise: :ohnoes:

It is. The series had 2 phases.

Phase 1 (Month 1):
    Plyo Cardio - solid interval training; 2 minutes on, 30 seconds off for like 25 minutes (like most Phase 1 vids, it's ~40 with warm-up, stretch, and then the cool-down stretch; ~25 minutes of the 40 is solid work with short water breaks)
    Cardio Power and Resistance - different interval training with a couple on harder push up intervals.
    Cardio Recovery - I don't do this. The actual schedule calls for something like 2 regular vids, then recovery, then 2 regular, then recovery. I don't hold to their schedule cause I have lifting day in there. Those are my recovery. :)
    Pure Cardio - 25 minutes of solid, non-stop cardio. Except when you need to stop for your own sake. It's one solid minute of some kind of cardio activity after another (most of these appear in either of the vid above so you do use the same moves alot), no scheduled water breaks.
    Cardio Abs - 16 minutes of no-cruches ab work. I sometimes do this on the weekend and then do some heavy bag work to practice my systema punches.

Phase 2 (Month 2 after a rest week):
    Core Cardio & Balance - you do this one during the rest week and sometimes during month 2. I haven't tried to this time; I might have done it years ago, the last time I was using the Insanity routine.
    Max Interval Circuit - upgraded version of Cardio Power and Resistance: instead of ~40 minutes, total vid time is ~60. The warm-up is about the same amount of time, but the exercises you do during it are harder than Phase 1; the stretching is about the same. So instead of ~25 minutes of work, you are up to nearly 35 minutes, and all the interval exercises are harder, upgraded versions of what you did previous.
    Max Interval Plyo - upgraded verison of Plyo cardio. Longer intervals (3 minutes instead of 2), same break time, harder exercises, longer video.
    Max Conditioning upgraded version of Pure Cardio. No scheduled breaks (other than the pauses when Shaun T is like "watch me do this once so you know what to do"), 10 minutes more cardio, harder exercises.
    Max Recovery - don't do this either.
    Insane Abs - haven't tried this one either.

There are also two bonus vids:
    Max Sport Interval - This can be used to replace some of the workouts in the schedule during Phase 2
    Upper Body Weights - This is Insanity With Dumbbells, so how to add weight training in, but still keep it cardio-tastic.

I haven't tried either of these.

Why I Like Insanity:
    I mentioned some things I liked about Insanity above, but I seem to be giving the vids a review in this post, so I might as well continue.

1. I like that the there is a warm up, a stretch, and a cool-down stretch. I don't often warm up or stretch before working out, but I do follow these videos beginning to end, so they "force me" to do what I would usually skip/forget on my own.
    2. I like that the videos are full of ripped, athletic-looking people of various sizes (the thin waif of a girl, the hulking brute of guy, and everything in between) who fail--utterly fail!--to complete the workouts all the way through. BUT they push on! They are exhausted, but when Shaun T comes over and tells them to do 8 more power jumps with him, they do their best to do it. Especially in the Max vids--there are times when people pair off or get into a small group just to motivate each other to get out a few more reps before time is up.
    3. I like that several of the girls are really hot. I'm not gonna lie about that. It helps the motivation. :)
    4. I like Shaun T. I've done other Beach Body workouts like P90X and just didn't like the main people as much. Or at least as much over time. The P90X guy is kind of funny and stuff, but after doing the same vid 4 times, kind of tired of him. Shaun T is more motivating with his chatting. He's pushing the people in the room and he's pushing the viewer. I don't get as tired of him.
    5. It hits just about everything. Through the various videos, you do get a really good full body workout. Not the best, cause with absolutely no equipment used, the back isn't really hit directly (not pull ups or rows of any kind to balance out the tons of push ups), but that's why I supplement with lifting vs. doing all actual scheduled routine.
    6. Like CrossFit, it is tailored to the fitness of the person doing it because you push as hard as you can for as long as you can. Shaun T tells you often "Try to stay with us if you can, but do what you can do! If you need to take a break, take one. Just jump back in as soon as you can." A lesson that is reinforced over and over by his crew (there are like a dozen people working out with him in these vids) needing to slow down, get water, or just collapsing into child's pose for a quick breather. It makes me feel better about having to stop, myself, when I see these people, who are much more lean than I, having to stop and take breaks. It shows I'm not failing at doing the workout: I'm doing as much as I can.
    7. I can fee l it for hours after. I'll likely workout today around noon, one of the Max Interval routines, and I'll be breathing hard for hours after. This can be a problem because if I do the workouts too late, like around 3, I might have trouble falling asleep cause I'm still so revved up from it. I never had this issue with lifting, running, or Systema. The increased heart rate might last for an hour or two with those; not 6 hours or more with Insanity interval vids.
    Sure, 40-60 minutes can be difficult for people to carve out, especially since a shower is required soon after and food and all that--it is a time investment, but one that I am fortunate enough to be able to invest in. I take slightly longer water breaks, especially toward the end of the vids, which is why my total time is longer than the actual video time, but it helps me get more reps during, so I think it is a wash--maybe even a net gain.

Yeah, let's do with that.

Thanks! Happy to be here.

Breakfast this morning was a chili hash (potatoes and chili) with some cheese and 2 over-easy eggs. Should be a good power-up for the noonish Insanity vid.

H nabbed a Panera sandwich from a work meeting yesterday, so that will be lunch. Probably a protein shake after the workout and then the sandwhich closer to 3.

Dinner tonight is buffalo chicken wings. I'll be cooking the wings in the sous vide and then finishing them off in the oven on broil for a couple minutes just to crisp up the outside, then tossing them in buffalo sauce. Seems like a healthier cooking method than frying. I'll report back how that goes.

Jaer
    is going to make some of the chicken wings hot by adding cayenne pepper to the season during the cooking. Hopefully that doesn't make them too hot....

9. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

How many pounds is 1/4 of a cow? Jaer must have a big freezer. This summer I was at a farm, and I was pretty amazed by the size of the bulls. Bigger than I remember.

I take BCCA's also for the last month or so, don't know (like most supplements) if they are doing anything. But I do like when I add them to apple sauce, it turns the apple sauce a nice shade of green (almost fluorescent). I do have one supplement I like so far "Maca", which is a tuber grown in then Andes mountain range in Peru. For me, it definitely improves endurance. I like the fact also it is natural, not some crazy concoction of chemicals sold in GNC.

10. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I have the Body Beast workout DVD's, and plan to start the program in two weeks (which will give me twelve weeks, or a full cycle, before I go on vacation to Florida (and on a cruise)), which should be motivation., Unlike Insanity, Body Beast uses real weights (dumbbells and an adjustable bench, plus a pull-up bar). That fact, and the price point (I bought the set from a Beachbody distributor for about $35), makes it worth the investment to me. But yeah... no chicks in any of the videos.

11. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

You know, I don't recall! I think it was ~130 lbs total, but post-butchering, the meat was closer to 80 or 90lbs. I think it came to around $5 per lb, which is a lot for ground beef and an absolute steal for the steak cuts, so it averaged out to a super deal even if it wasn't the best meat we ever had. It came professionally butchered, vacuum packed, and labeled for easy storage and use. A year or so later, and that roast was still amazing.

I remember the first time we made burgers with the ground beef: H made the patties and I was getting the grill ready. I came in and took the plate, which had been sitting out for maybe 10 minutes with patties made. They were still bright pink and just smelled fresh. I remember saying to H, "If this was grocery meat, these would have started to turn grey, if it were still pink at all when opened."

In every way noticeably better quality.

And yeah, we have an extra freezer in the basement for such things. We are good about finding deals (buy one get TWO free for racks of short ribs--that's a $50 dollar savings!) and buying in bulk when we can.

Of the supplements I take, I question the value of the BCAAs the most. Creatine and the Beta-Alanine, I have seen /felt the difference between being off of them and coming on to them. Maybe it's a placebo or maybe it is natural improvement--I'm usually off of them when I am not working out and then start back on them when the workouts start back, so in the first week or so when I'm "loading" them, but progress is improving quite quickly; that could simply be because that first week, I'm just getting my fitness level back. But whatever, I feel like I have felt a difference on them and they are some of the most lab-proven supps.

BCAAs, I can't tell if they do anything, but I feel since like I'm working out in a fasted state and I don't want the calories/insulin spike a full protein shake will give, I should take something to help the muscles recover. Especially if it is a full fasting day. I work out at 7:30, don't eat for nearly 12 hours, and only have some coffee with a little sugar and a little cream a couple times during the day. Maybe it's just Bro Advice that's stuck in my head (you need protein in the uptake window after you lift, bro, or there go all them gainz!), but I feel line I should have something. So BCAAs it is!

Just finished the Max Interval Circuit. Video time: 59:49. Jaer time: 1:14:55. I had some streaming issues (this laptop has been hiccuping all day--I might need a restart), which required refreshing and reloading, and those issues occurred at weird times during the video, so I wasn't extending the normal breaks so much as getting odd pauses right in the middle of intervals. Still, a hard ass workout. That one might be the hardest of the ones I've done.

Jaer
    is now going to have a protein shake. And once his stomach is settled enough to eat, that sandwich.

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Friday night I made buffalo chicken wings in the sous vide.

A brief explanation of sous vide, if I haven't given one. It is French for "under vacuum," but the vacuum part is actually not the important part. That's actually the precision cooking. The sous vide appliance that I have is called the Anova Precision Cooker. The thing regulates the temperature of a pot of water to an exact temperature. Food is then sealed (either vacuum packed or in ziplock bags) with flavorings and maybe a fat (butter is used in many recipes) and suspended in the water for a length of time. Considering the exact temperature, the food item will get to that temp and very go higher, so you cannot overcook something no matter how long it is in the water, something that cannot be said for a crock pot that only has High, Low, and Keep Warm as the settings.

So, back to Friday night's buffalo chicken:

I cooked 20 wings with just salt and pepper and some garlic powder. 10 with salt and pepper and cayenne pepper. 10 with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes. I was seeing if I could add some eat during the cooking and testing how much spice is required to infuse the meat with flavor. I didn't use very much of either, and didn't get very noticeable heat (somewhat, though), so more spice can be used.

I cooked the chicken wings at 147 degrees for 3 hours (I kicked it up to 160 for the last 30 minutes, worrying about under-cooked chicken, but I think that was unnecessary given that I...) then broiled the chicken fingers to crispy up the outside. I expected this to take only a minute or 2, but it actually took about 5 minutes per side. It worked, giving the chicken a nice, crispy brown skin, but I think it would have been enough to thoroughly cook the chicken from 147.

After the broil, they were coated with Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Chicken Sauce. Not really the best, but not bad, either. They were very tasty and well cooked. I think this was a wonderful, healthier, easier, and cleaner alternative to frying wings. I think I could probably sous vide some chicken tenders, coat the cooked meat in breading, and do a real quick bake to make some serviceable chicken fingers as well.

Saturday, I had my morning systema class (not a very cardio intense one; I didn't need to change shirts before I left class). The snow buried our evening plans of visiting some friends near Philly, but it did get me out there shoveling snow for a little bit. Not very cardio-intense, either, cause it the light, fluffy stuff.

Instead of stew (which my friend was cooking), H and I finished the left over roast for dinner: roast beef sandwiches.

Sunday, I did a little more driveway clearing and the 16-minute Cardio Abs Insanity vid, which really got my core burning. It's decent core routine and still gives me some cardio work; helps me feel less lazy on a Sunday.

I did a venison roast with the sous vide Sunday. It was a small roast, maybe 1 lb; I gave it a rub of salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, and brown sugar. I put some fresh chopped garlic and a little butter in the bag as well. Put it in at 131.5 degrees at 9 am. At about 7, I think, I pulled it out and very quickly browned the outside in bacon fat (left over from breakfast). It was very tender and tasty, a deep red all the way through except for the edges.

I think I could have browned it longer, to let a little more cook go through--or maybe broiled it instead of pan searing for a crisper outside--but it was rare and juicy and tender. H even liked it, and she's not the biggest fan of venison (she prefers beef to venison but venison to most forms of pork).

I also made bread Sunday. It was a little more dense than usual, but still tasty. Had venison, bread, green beans, mashed potatoes, and mushroom gravy (made from the juices left from the bolar roast we did in the crock pot during the week). Really solid dinner.

Monday, breakfast was left over mashed potatoes, given a bit of a quick browning in the skillet with bacon fat, and two eggs, over easy, fried in some bacon fat. Given the bacon fat used for cooking, I figured I didn't actually need any bacon.

Insanity vid around noon.

Have a great day!

Jaer
    will probably try to bake another loaf on Wednesday. He made some adjustments to the recipe from memory, trying some variants he had had some success with back when he was baking loaves every week or so. However, given it's been a year or more since he made this particular loaf, he probably should have just stuck to the ingredients as listed and not gone mucking about and likely mis-remembering the correct proportions of the substitutions. Baking is a fairly exact science.

13. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Lots of cooking and good eats this past weekend.

14. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

And it was delicious!

Systema last night. The warm-up got the sweat and cardio going; was a class on kicking. Lots of movement.

This morning, lifting before work.

RDL: 135x8, 185x8, 225x8, 8, 8
    Bent-over single-arm DB row: 85x12, 12, 12
    Chin-ups: 8, 8, 8
    superset with Standing Upright DB row 30sx10, 10, 10

As noted in a previous post, I feel like the one area most ignored by the Insanity vids is the back, which can be hard to hit with no equipment. I have been making back work a priority with my lifting, but haven't been deadlifting much, so this was my attempt to bring that back (a pun?).

The chin-ups were tough; my arms were already failing a bit by the time I got there. The Upright Rows was hard on the forearms/grip. I guess this was a successful workout.

Fasting day today. I'm hanging out with friends tonight, so I brought a salad to have for dinner (because fasting is only 24 hours or so, from dinner last night until dinner tonight).

Jaer
    has been seeing ads online that are like "Can you deadlift your body weight? If so, you can save some money on insurance." He was thinking of that this morning as he RDLed his body weight 24 times. Yeah, let's save some money!

15. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Lots of good things going on. Working out, sous vide'ing and baking. :claphigh:

The venison sounds delish.

#15 macdiver, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  16. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

The venison was pretty tasty! I think the sous vide would do good things to meat cubes for stew as well.

Breakfast today was left over french toast (made this past weekend); two eggs, scrambled; and 3 slices of bacon. And coffee.

For lunch, I made a few mason jar salads Monday, so at least that. I might need to figure out some kind of meat thing to add to it.

For dinner, I'll be sous viding the chicken breast, then leaving for systema, and when I get back the chicken will magically have become curry!

My workout today will be one of the non-Max Insanity vids. I was doing 1 Max workout a week through December, then upping to two Max vids in Jan. Today is a slightly busier day than I expect Friday to be, so a shorter vid (and less cooldown, recovery in the hour that followes) is probably better to do today.

Jaer
    is a little sore from his back workout yesterday. Must have been a good one.

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Insanity vid yesterday was Cardio Core and Balance. which I hadn't done in years. It is the Rest Week video, so Shaun T kept saying "This is your recovery workout. Don't go too hard!"

I didn't completely saturate my shirt, but it was pretty darn wet when I was done.

Very different workout though; no circuits and different movements. Was a nice change.

Video time: 37:30
    My time: 37:30

Cause it was easier.

Went to systema last night; it was another kick class. I have noticed my kicks are much improved these days, and I really think it has a lot to do with all the stretching from the vids. I can get my foot higher easier; looser hips and hamstrings.

Lifted this morning but wasn't really into it. I got up early and started doing work on my laptop, which pushed me to a little later start and put my mind there rather than on my workout. It wasn't bad, but I was unfocused--I had an email in which the person I was trying to get on board a project was a bit rude in return, so that got me off my groove.

Bench: 45x15, 135x12, 185x10, 225x8, 255x6 275x6
    Super set with chin-ups 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8

And that was it. But my upper chest and upper back are now all warm.

Fasting day. Steak tonight.

Jaer
    hates it when one e-mail sets a bad tone for a workout. Had the response been the other way, he might have broke 300.

18. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm trying to come up with some strategies to un-tilt myself when situations like that arise. One recommendation I've heard is to perform an activity you enjoy and that requires your concentration (e.g. practice a musical instrument.) I'm planning to use drawing to refocus. Haven't applied it yet, but it seems like a good idea.

19. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I'm sure that could work--I've heard that doing math will get a song out of your head if one is stuck there.

Alas that I have nothing that would require such attention--though you'd think lifting heavy would be the thing that did it. Fortunately, after I shared the story with some coworkers, they are all like "What an asshole!" and the like, so that made me feel better. It wasn't me reading it wrong and it was something other people thought was unprofessional. I could laugh it off, but it did give me a bit of a punch in the crotch for a couple hours.

Workout has been pushed back today.

Jaer
    is sipping his preworkout now and will start the vid in 15 or so. Later than usual, but he doesn't have class tonight, so it matters less.

20. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Friday:
    Insanity Max Plyo Circuit
    Max Interval Circuit. Video time: 59:49. Jaer time: 1:06:30 -- 8 minute improvement over my time last week.

Saturday: Systema.

Went to a friend's house for dinner. He made sous vide pork carnitas--this being the guy who originally introduced me to sous vide cooking. It was AMAZING! H isn't the biggest fan of pork, but she loved it. Cooked for 24 hours, feel to pieces easily, and then broiled for a nice crisp. Wonderful!

Sunday:
    Squats and []-ups
    Squat: 45x10, 135x8, 185x8, 225x8, 8, 8
    Chin-up (wide): 12; pull-up (wide) 12; chin-up (narrow): 12; pull-up (neutral, very wide): 12

Due to a miscalculation, I had less time than originally planned for the workout. I started making bread that morning, and then made a meal plan H and I decided to take a trip to Whole Foods in PA for some quality meat shopping because we were meeting my fam for dinner out at a place up that way. I had it in my head we needed to leave for the restaurant at like 5:30, but then we added the shopping stop and needed to leave around 4, but my brain never updated my time table. So bread raising times and workout times were kind of flubbed.

But we are now loaded up with solid quality meat for sous vide-ing!

My legs still hurt from these squats! Not very heavy for me, but I went slow and as deep as my legs physically go, so it was a very full squat on all of them. But wow, I can hardly walk straight.

Monday:
    Was hanging with friends during the day, which is when my legs started tightening up. Ended up skipping systema cause by last night, I was wobbling.

H had a belt in her car break while she was driving to the mall. Fortunately (a) she was in the mall parking lot, (b) it was only the alternate belt, so the only thing that gave out was her power steering, and (c) the friend's house I was hanging at is like 2 minutes from the mall, so I was able to go over there, drive it to the mechanic (no powersteering not a huge problem for me).

Tuesday:
    Fasting day!

I drove H to work today, so I needed to be out of the house earlier than usual. No morning workout. I'll be picking her up, too, on my way home.

Sous vide cod for dinner, cause we're trying it on all the things!

Jaer
    hasn't even looked up sous vide vegetables. That should be a thing....