1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

JabbaTheGutt's Family Journal (2 for the price of one)...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by JabbaTheGutt, Apr 8, 2005.

1. JabbaTheGutt

JabbaTheGutt Well-Known Member

Went for a good 75 minute Bike ride this evening before dinner...

I was riding on nearby Country roads that I haven't yet explored where I got tricked into riding along a side road which ended up being a trail.

I thought oh, this will just be a little trail until the road breaks through - mistake! Pretty soon the trail was getting more & more narrow & the bush was getting thicker & wilder. I was going up hills & down some steep, twisting hills - some real good Mtn. Biking stuff but I didn't know where I was, I was alone, it was getting dark, the mosquitos & black flies were hungry & bears have been caught nearby recently - yikes... better to go forward then have to go back up the difficult terrain I just came through right... nope.

Anyway, I managed to ride through almost everything except a few areas where it was absolutely crazy & it didn't look like anyone had been there for a long time (& that was most likely on a motorbike) I had to run through there with my bike to avoid being eaten - great interval training I guess.

After around 20-30 minutes of my wilderness adventure (with my iPod turned off) I finally saw hope, followed a river path & made it back onto a dirt road - whew!

Scary stuff, I'll try to never get tricked like that again - although thinking back, some of it was nice... but then again the ride home was even better.

#21 JabbaTheGutt, Jun 28, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  2. krosspyder

krosspyder Well-Known Member

good work man!

answer me this if you can. how long have you been doing fasted morning cardio? have you encounterd a plateau yet? do you do two a days?

3. JabbaTheGutt

Hey there Krosspyder;

Thanks a bunch - you've been doing really well too. :tucool:

I guess it would be good to update this with on our current exercise specifics more often. I'd say that I get a little of everything depending on my schedule and whether I'm lifting that day or not.

Some mornings are completely fasted cardio, some are at lunch time so I guess they're semi-fasted (4-5 hours after a meal), sometimes cardio's an hour after dinner or even late at night right before bed.

Basically, the more fasted I am, the more I try to keep it L.I.S.S. Cardio (~ 125-135 BPM), and if there's food in my system I will usually take it up a notch or two depending how I feel & how long I want to go for...

45 minutes is usually the minimum lately & that's often separated a few hours after lifting when possible. 60 minutes is the norm & I sometimes do 75 minutes on cardio only days, depending what food is in my system. On cardio only days, I can do 75 all at once but I've sometimes I'll do it in the a.m & then again in the p.m. (ie. 2 X 45 min.) but I usually would try to make it different if possible (bike in morning & elliptical at night).

It's possible that I may have been doing too much Cardio but I don't feel like I need day off right yet and I will try & keep going through the rest of the "6 Week Cutting Challenge". Perhaps I'll focus more on lifting again eventually (separate cardio & weight days) but I have lifted for a long time & it almost seemed as if I was on an endless bulk since I was quite young, so focusing specifically on cutting is something fairly new for me. I'm enjoying most of it so far and hope it works out... Happy not to be in the mid 240's anymore that's for sure. :o

Thanks & good luck - keep on movin',

#23 JabbaTheGutt, Jun 29, 2005
  4. krosspyder

krosspyder Well-Known Member

hmmm... interesting... you seem to keep it kinda sporadic... keeps the body guessing. unstable... nice. i think i'll be working on instituting this concept into my workouts.... see how that goes. thanks for elaborating your routine.

:tu:

5. JabbaTheGutt

My pleasure KS, although I certainly wouldn't recommend our ways of getting things done as a guide or anything...

I guess we kinda, somewhat do something similar with our nutrition as well. Almost like a natural, nutritional cycling routine where some days are higher in protein +/or carbs & calories in general than others, based on what our amounts of activities (weights, cardio, etc.) but nothing set in stone. We haven't tried specifically counting the exact number of daily calories (we try to guesstimate closely without weighing things, etc.) but I can say the losses were especially slow when we started out and didn't pay as much attention to them.

We try to go by the popular suggested guidelines refered to on here as much as possible as they are most likely optimum, but as many have said the best exercise is the exercise that you will do. Keeping that in mind, so we don't stress too much over things, we always seem to be reevaluating & tweaking things anyways...

If you (or anyone) has any recommendations, suggestions, comments or concerns they are always welcome. :nod:

Thanks a bunch, good luck & keep on movin',

#25 JabbaTheGutt, Jun 30, 2005
  6. JabbaTheGutt

Hello; Just wanted to take a second to say that everyone on here really seems to be doing so good & I apologize if I haven't commented on your diary yet but I try to get around to a few at a timeto leave a messge when I get the chance - just feel like sometimes am on the computer too much... but everyone is doing good & I'm sure many here will be successful at reaching their goals. Keep on movin' :wiz:

Went for another 75 minute bike ride in the Country early this evening - it's amazing how far you can go in an hour if you really boogie.

The beautiful sights & sweet smelling air is sooo much nicer than riding cardio machines, I don't even want to think about winter because I will miss it too much.

Tonight I rode with the final, orange glow of sunlight and was treated to a beautiful orange & red, summer sunset over corn fields as I made my way back home.

A new yummy thing... I finally bought some Peppermint extract and put it in with a Chocolate Protein shake... Mmmm, delicious... who needs chocolate mint ice cream with this stuff - so yummy & nutritious too... Now I'm not sure whether I like this or the Pumpkin Pie mix Protein shake the best - good to have such wonderful choices though...

Cheers & keep on movin',

#26 JabbaTheGutt, Jul 3, 2005
  7. JabbaTheGutt

Well, we're taking a few days off from exercise to help reset some stuff so now is a great time to reflect & re-evaluate. We just finished a JSF "6 Week Challenge" HERE and haven't actually had a day off from exercise (mainly cardio) in around 46 days...

Hers, 32, 5'6"
    • Jan. '05 = approx. 190 Lbs. @ ~ 42% BF after having a baby :d_tongue:
    • 05-07-23: A.M. ~ 156 Lbs. / Night = 159 Lbs. @ 25.5% BF (most recent, until our next bi-monthly update around 05-08-07)
    • = approx. 34 Lbs. scale Lbs. lost overall (1.42 Lbs. per week average)
    • Day #1, Lean 110 Lbs. / Fat 80 Lbs. ..... Week #24, Lean 118.5 Lbs. / Fat 40.5 Lbs. = (+8.5 Lbs. Lean, -39.5 Lbs. Fat)
    * "Natural baby feeding" most likely effects (increases) the Tanita BF Scale readings though...

:tucool: Excellent job my Dear :claplow:

His, 32, 6'1"
    • Jan. '05 = approx. 245 Lbs. @ ~ 24% BF after sympathy pregnancy :o
    • 05-07-23: A.M. ~ 203 Lbs. / P.M. ~ 206.5 Lbs. @ ~10% BF (most recent, until our next bi-monthly update around 05-08-07)
    • = approx. 42 Lbs. scale Lbs. lost overall (1.75 Lbs. per week average)
    • Day #1, Lean 186 Lbs. / Fat 59 Lbs. ..... Week #24, Lean 186 Lbs. / Fat 20.5 Lbs. = (+/-0 Lbs. Lean, -38.5 Lbs. Fat)
    * I've seen 9% but doubt it very much as I think the Tanita B.F. Scale's readings are pretty wacky, in fact now that I'm gettin' down there, I think in reality it's more like 10.5% still but I'll continue to use the scale's readings on here just for consistent comparison's sake...

I had gained some lean mass early on and then lost a few Lbs. of both lean mass & B.F. in the last few weeks of cutting while trying to get down into the single digits - it'd be nice if that loss didn't happen but at least my sweetie seems to have kept some of that lean stuff. Oh ya, we're both due for updated progress pics in around two more weeks.

EDIT: Just read up on "Lean Loss" and it reassured me that some of it can be caused by water loss, which makes sense from all the extra cardio and all the extra coffee & tea I've used to keep me going lately... :confused: Hopefully this means I may have kept some of those initial lean gains, unless of course, they were really just water also... :p

:eat: Our next step is to re-calculate our BMR nutrition needs as we're planning on lifting a bunch more this time around...

I just hope my sore right forearm (that refuses to go back to 100%) doesn't get in the way - oddly enough, I recently started doing wrist curls (with an EZ curl bar) again and they feel like they may be helping it a little.

Thanks everyone & keep on movin',

P.S. As always, any comments, questions or concerns are always welcome... :nod:

#27 JabbaTheGutt, Jul 25, 2005
  8. JabbaTheGutt

Thanks again for the messages fellas. I've had THREE days off now & I feel like getting back at it soon. Perhaps one more day off to reset things. We did some family mini-putting today, does that count ? :prop:

Maintenace days sure feel weird though - it's hard to get used to but it's very nice to consume the same (or even more nutritiion) and see for real that I'm not packin' it on as I guess I may have secretly worried about.

The Tanita scale is okay once you figure it out & understand how it works as your different levels of hydration throughout the day effect it. I know that under the same circumstances, food in system, time of day, etc. (usually 1-3 hours after lunch or dinner) that's when to take my readings.

I think it's off a little because that in my understanding of what 10%BF is supposed to look like on most people, there should be 100% definition throughout the day (when casual) and that's still gotta be around 1-2 Lbs. of "gut" away. Everywhere else feels like low BF%. so it could be that I don't pay enough attention to keeping my sodium levels down as I've read that that can also get in the way and mess up definition.

Who know? As long as things keep improving...

Thanks again & keep on movin',

#28 JabbaTheGutt, Jul 27, 2005
  9. JabbaTheGutt

While I'm thinking about it, I just wanted to add that I'm happy I no longer get HEARTBURN anymore (I used to quite frequently) and I don't SNORE anymore - yahoo!

The "little" things we often take for granted are important too. :spaz:

Thanks & keep on moving,

#29 JabbaTheGutt, Jul 28, 2005
  10. JabbaTheGutt

Just wanted to record 199 Lbs. this morning. First time under the 200 Lbs. mark since who knows when. :confused:

Sweetie is down to around 154 in the a.m. :tucool:

We're both a few Lbs. heavier at night with BF% readings creeping down & averaging a little lower... but still more still to go. :db:

We've been lifting every other day with a small amount of cardio mixed in on weight days (mostly a warm-up &/or a cool down or sometimes separated by a several hours altogether) and cardio only on the other days.

We haven't gotten around to pics lately but I haven't really felt the need as we know we're still working hard - maybe soon.

Thanks & keep on movin',

#30 JabbaTheGutt, Aug 19, 2005
  11. JabbaTheGutt

I just added a recent pic of my sweetie here for comparison's sake as she is still going strong and has even lost more since that pic. The pic probably doesn't do her justice but I think she has done great as she has lost a few more BF%'s along with at least 10 more lbs since her last pic...

As of last night, we're back at it after taking one full week off to do some work around our home & enjoy the summer a little.

Funny enough, we actually continued to lose possibly even quicker, even while we were on "maintenance" for the last week. :nod:

Thanks, take care & keep on movin',

#31 JabbaTheGutt, Aug 30, 2005
  12. JabbaTheGutt

Still going...

Hello everyone;

Just wanted to let you know we're still lingering around and going strong...

Still a few days early before our bi-monthly check-in is due but I wanted to record that I actually went under the 190 mark this morning @ 189 Lbs. This is rather strange because I have cut back on the cardio & focused more intensely on weights while still "cutting" or even "maintaining" on some days - who knows but it's fine with me... BF% often reads in the 7-8% area & has read as low as 6.4% but I definitely don't think so - maybe 9% ? might be more accurate (if I'm lucky)... the only way to tell would be to eat really clean for a week or so & see if the water goes away... :confused:

My sweetie has also dropped well into the 140's at around 147ish in the morning with readings in the 21% area but they're higher than they should be due to baby stuff... I'd definitely give her a few % off for good behaviour... :claplow:

Calipers would be nice to try but maybe we'll do a tape measurement method check soon out of curiousity... oh well, at least our pants are fitting well (if not big) & that's the important thing... :rolleyes:

Good luck everyone & keep on movin',

#32 JabbaTheGutt, Oct 5, 2005
  13. JabbaTheGutt

Brief update - still goin' at it...

Sweetie saw 139 Lbs. this morning (first time in a while under 140 - yeah! :claplow: ) & I was down to 181 this morning (almost time for a nice clean & near maintenance, bulk for me :confused: )...

Oh ya, progress / comparison pics probably way overdue - maybe someday soon...

Thanks & keep on movin',

#33 JabbaTheGutt, Jan 31, 2006
  14. JabbaTheGutt

Captain's Log... just checking in... & Hello...

Been @ ~ 179 :eek: a few times in the morning this week & usually hover around 182-184 at night. Pretty sure a few lean Lbs. will most likely come back when it comes time to hit the weights harder again - which should be soon... still a little injured though...

Dearest's around 139 in the a.m. & we're going to get her some new hex dumbells soon as she doesn't like using our changeable plate ones...

Thanks & keep on movin', :gl:

Attached Files:

#34 JabbaTheGutt, Mar 10, 2006