1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I've noticed a trend of lower protein levels amongst many lifters lately

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Wic, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Wic

Wic Active Member

Around the web. More and more guys who used to consume 300+ grams a day are now in the low 200's. Perhaps this is only true in the little circle of interwebz that I peruse? Has anyone else noticed this as well?

Is there any reason to not err on the side of more protein than can be synthesized at this point? Insofar as I can tell there is still no real risk to eating extremely high levels of protein (I vaguely recall one study on rats that implied a possible modest kidney issue, and similarly recall the concern being dismissed as minimal by many). Similarly, most seem to agree that protein is the most satiating macro-nutrient. What still doesn't seem to be known is the amount of protein available for protein synthesis. Thus, it seems silly to me to risk gains all to save a few nickels on a few scoops of additional whey.

Where am I going off the rails here? Thanks.

2. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Kidneys and your body doesn't need that much protein to build muscle. It can't use it. So it goes to fat or out body thru kidneys.

Protein kept the magazines going for years before Steroids. The Champs got theirs from milk and meat. Now the roids and other drugs have produced the monsters that fill the pages. 120-180 gms will suffice.:gl:

3. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

With the popularity of natural bodybuilding skyrocketing over the last 6-10 years a lot more emphasis and study has been placed on nutrition and maximizing both performance and physique enhancement. Once your protein requirements for the day have been met, any additional protein will be oxidized or stored as fat. Excess protein has no storage capacities. Carbs though, has multiple storage sites, ie liver, muscle, blood, etc. Carbs and fats are the only macronutrients that increase cell size. And carbs will not cross the cell membrane without fat (and other nutrients).

I see guys and gals all the time trying to gain mass by bumping up their protein levels to ridiculous levels. Yet they have it backwards, by not eating enough carbs and fats. They are basically following a pre-contest type diet to gain mass. Then they complain of being 'carb sensitive' only because their carb intake is low year round.

I'd recommend 1.0 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, and possibly more in short burst increments such as when in the final weeks leading into a bodybuilding or figure show. Or when attempting to break through a strength plateau that's been lingering for a while.

Anything over those levels and you risk oxidizing the excess as ammonia and excreted as waste AND overtax the liver which already has enough work to do filtering out toxins, wastes, and other corrosive elements and supplements, such as the kinds found in the popular NO products. And if you add extra BCAA products to an already existing high protein intake, you are pissing even more money down the toilet.