1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Iud..mirena..advice Needed Ladies..

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Victoria35, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Victoria35

Victoria35 Active Member

I have been given the option to get one of these IUD's. The problem is I am going on a good streak here with my program and the side effects of the IUD are painful cramping and excess bleeding (tmi--sorry) that can last for 3-6 months!

That is going to interrupt my plans for way too long.

Do any of you ladies have any tips or advice about your experience. I have fibroid tumors in my uterus and the IUD is going to help control symptoms related to them. My next option is hysterectomy.

Thanks for your help.

V

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I had an IUD for years. I can't remember having any of those syptoms at all, even in the first six months. I think mine was the copper T. Maybe that's the difference. Is it only the Mirena that will help your syptoms?

3. keldink

keldink Active Member

I also have had an IUD but had it removed because I had to much discharge for my liking. I don't remember having any bleeding or cramping, just on the day it was placed. My mother -in- law had one for years without any side effects.

4. Victoria35

Victoria35 Active Member

That is what the doc says...

The doc thinks that I should at least give the mirena IUD a chance as the hormone it gives off will help. I really am stumped. I don't know yet what to do. I don't need 3-6 months of major pain and other stuff.

I know myself....if I am hurting with cramps, etc. it is hard for me to put it in a good effort in the gym. Especially with that kind of pain! It's painful enough once a month, much less 3-6 months straight.

V

5. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

Yes, the IUD you would receive is the Mirena, which contains progestin. This might help not only shrink the tumors, but lighten your flow and reduce cramping. Some women on Mirena even lose their periods altogether and dont bleed at all.

The side effects of cramping and excess bleeding you're talking about is usually in connection to the Paragard IUD (copper) which doesnt contain any hormones. That's the one I had, but it partially expelled at 5 weeks during my period and I had to have it removed. The second one also expelled. So I really didnt get to give it a good run. Also, I did feel a slight dull poking/proding sensation. It's hard to describe, but sometimes it almost felt like I could feel it in there.

Mirena might be a good option for you :tu: The only big drawbacks are painful insertion and the risk of expulsion. I dont think you'd have any problems with bleeding or cramps unless it was a Paragard.

6. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

BTW that is a tough decision. Uterine fibroids seem to reoccure often, as I have read. You might want to give the Mirena a shot, and then decide on the hysterectomy.

7. Lakergerl

Lakergerl Well-Known Member

Hi:
    Came out of lurkdom for this one..are you still contemplating this decision? I have this IUD.

8. Queenie

Queenie Active Member

Have you had any kids?

I have had a copper IUD for some years now. I was told that it might be so painful to insert that I would pass out, but in fact it was incredibly minor, much like one quick (kinda awful) menstrual cramp, and then it was done.

I was also told that it might cause a lot of cramping, but in fact that did not happen at all. I have far far less cramping than I did before I had my kids, not sure how that relates to the IUD.

Lastly, I was told that it would cause horrid heavy flow and that one is, well, has a bit of truth to it. Nothing OTT, but certainly more than before I had it put in.

Tiny, tiny price to pay for birth control I never have to think about and does not mess in any way with my sex drive and doesn't cause weight gain, moodiness, and all of the other stuff that hormones do.

Go for it. If you don't like it, removing it is the work of ten seconds in your OB's office.

9. Boxer-in-training

Boxer-in-training Well-Known Member

I have had the Mirena IUD in since May of 2004. It did hurt going in, felt like a bad menstrual cramp, well more like a contraction from when I was in labor with both kids.

The first 3 months sucked. Heavy bleeding every day for the first month. Then the next two months was bleeding on and off for those months. After that, I just had spotting for a day once a month. And even went at least 6 months without any kind of cycle. I have never had any problems in almost 3 years, nor have I had to use any kind feminine products other than liners for a day. It has been wonderful. Saved me some $$$$ :D

My sister did not have the same great experience with it. She had it in for 6 months and had heavy bleeding for those 6 months. She should have never had one to begin with as she has severe endometriosis and has had uterine fibroids. It ended up perforating her uterus and it was expelled. Some painful days for her. She went to a different gyn. and they told her that she should have never had one in the first place.

Anyway, I have never had any of those issues, and have been very pleased with it. I was just into the gynecologist this past week and everything is in place. No complaints there. And no extra kids.....:p

10. Victoria35

Victoria35 Active Member

I have Mirena IUD now...

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I had it placed almost a month ago and I opted for localized injections to the cervix to ease the pain of insertion. It helped, but there was still pain. Afterwards, it felt like a menstrual cramp for a few hours.
    I had bleeding for a few days and then it stopped. 2 weeks later, I got my first period with the iud. I had less cramping with that period and less overall bleeding....it just hasn't stopped. Light bleeding daily, with the occasional moderate bleeding that last a couple hours. I'm not sure how much longer this is going to continue, but hopefully at the 3 month mark it will subside. I would love to not have any period at all someday:claphigh:
    Thanks again for your input.

Victoria :)