1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

It is about time I did this...

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by gitoutmyi, Apr 10, 2008.

1. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

Name: Alden
    Sex: Male
    Height: 5' 11"
    Weight: 171lbs (5/23/08), 168lbs (8/1/08), 175.6lbs (1/4/09)
    Biography: Some minor DB lifting Jan 07 - March 07, "Better" compound lifting March 08 - Current
    Interests: All-around strength. Love compound lifts.

Sports (and corresponding weight):

HS Freshman ('01-'02): JV Baseball (Catcher/Pitcher) - 144lbs
    HS Sophomore ('02-'03): Varsity Baseball (Catcher) - 150lbs
    HS Junior ('03-'04): Varsity Baseball (Catcher) - 175lbs
    HS Senior ('03-'04): Varsity Baseball (Catcher) - 195lbs

C Freshman ('05-'06): Nothing - 195lbs
    C Sophomore ('06-'07): Nothing - (Start) 200lbs (End) 175lbs
    C Junior ('07-'08): Nothing - (Start) 182lbs (End) 170lbs
    C Senior ('08-'09): Softball - (Start) 167lbs

Notation:

reps x weight or sets x reps x weight

Goals:

March 08 - Aug 08: Cut down to around 10% BF (COMPLETE)
    June 08 - Jan 1, 09: 200lbs Bench, 300lbs Squat, 400lbs Deadlift (In Progress)
    Nov 08 - Summer 09: Slow Bulk/Recomp... Gain 8-10lbs lean mass while maintaining 10% BF. (In Progress)

#1 gitoutmyi, Apr 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

So, first daily post...

I've been starving for days recently and I just upped my cals and I feel much better today. Did a 14min HIIT session and some ab work... felt great. Looking forward to my leg workout tomorrow, but for now, sleep calls.

3. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

Worked legs today and did a little deadlifting (something I've never really done before due to small gym limitations). I started at 155lbs so I could get the form down and worked up to 205 for the first time. Felt pretty solid. I could do WAY more, but I want to keep it pretty low until I get my form down.

I also wasn't starving today, so that's good too ha

I also looked into my pics and my recent ones are blurry as hell sooo I'll wait until the end of the month to take new ones and put up a little before/after action.

#3 gitoutmyi, Apr 10, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  4. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Active Member

Keeping a journal makes a huge difference as far as focus and determination go, you'll see. Best of luck to ya!

5. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

That is what I figured and thanks a lot! Today is just a cardio and abs day. I'll do some HIIT whenever I can fit it in, I just keep getting seemingly more and more busy with school, but I will NOT let it stop me from doing my workouts, lifting and eating well.

6. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

A friend came into town last night so I skipped my last meal of the day for drinks. On the good side, he and I had a really awesome workout today. Did chest and arms. I'm burning good ha

7. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

I'm feeling a good soreness from yesterday's chest and arms workout. Its awesome. I did however eat pretty "poorly" this weekend due to my friend visiting (also in sort of celebration of 5 weeks or really strict work and diet and a loss of 10lbs).

I think I am going to change my workout/cardio a little bit this week and see how it goes. I will just lift with little rest and high intensity to keep my heart rate up 3 time a week and perform HIIT cardio the 4 other days (ab work on 3 of those).

Overall, I am feeling a little bloated from the weekend, but I am not gonna check the scale for a couple of days, eat well, and do what I've been doing and I will be right back on track. I am looking forward to making good progress over the coming weeks. This weekend was a good "break" but now it is time to get serious again ha

8. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

Added a few lbs over the weekend. Probably water weight. Already dropped a couple of them after one day of good eating. Should be back to 171/172 by Wed.

#8 gitoutmyi, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  9. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

Solid day all around. I ate well and had a great workout. I just started deadlifting 3 weeks ago and I put up 275lbs today (I put up 150 3 weeks ago haha).

10. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

Awesome day. I ate as planned, did 16mins HIIT, and had the best ab workout I've ever had.

11. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

I started deadlifting three weeks ago. My max the first time was 160lbs (I was playing it safe), but yesterday I put up 300lbs. I'm pretty happy with that.

12. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

Things are looking pretty good all around for me. I am down to about 171lbs from 182lbs 7 weeks ago. Not the fastest drop in weight, but I do feel that I am "shaping up" very well, so I am very pleased with that. I've always had fairly lean looking arms and legs for the most part and pack pretty much 90% of my fat on my stomach. As of the past couple of week I do believe I see signs of abs in the morning so that's good. I have a week and half of the semester left then I'll be on vacation for about 10 days so I'm looking to stay strong over the next 10-12 days, whatever it is and take a good break after my 8 weeks of solid work.

After the break, I will reevaluate my diet and lifting routine and probably make a few changes (mainly to the lifting routine) to make sure my body isn't getting used to anything in particular.

13. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

The past few days have been pretty good. I have only lost about 3.5-4 lbs over the past month but my tape measurements and physical appearance are looking like I made some good progress. My stomach is looking flatter than when I was in 10th grade so thats good ha

I tried to DL 300lbs the other day again. I tried for two times, but could only manage once. Didn't want to hurt myself. I think my form is still a little shistey, so hopefully that will improve and I can make pretty substantial gains over the coming months.

14. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

So I did the April Challenge.

Overall I got an 85. Could have been a lot better or worse really. I try to be as strict with my eating and workouts as possible without torturing myself ( I am in college and do enjoy a bit of fun here and there).

Here are my stats for the month:

STARTING STATS
    WEIGHT: 174lbs
    BODY FAT: 11.8% (taken with FatTrack PRO 7-point test) - I think its a load of a crap, but I'll use it for the month just to see how it compares at the end.

END STATS
    WEIGHT: 170.8lbs
    BODY FAT: 9.0% (still don't believe this 7-point test thing ha)

Either way, I guess you could estimate I dropped about 3lbs for the month net and dropped about 5lbs of fat. Though I don't have the measurements recorded here, i have been taking soft-tape instruments and I also cut about an inch off my waist. That is awesome because just looking at the scale weight and seeing less than a pound of weight loss a week is a little discouraging at times ha

15. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

I took a two week break. One for finals, one for vacation with the gf. Ate like crap the 2nd week (her fault of course). Weighed in at 173 this morning. Probably just bloat and water weight. I expect to see myself at 171/170 by the end of the week.

I have been doing a 3 day workout split the past 8 weeks and am going to move on to a 4 day for many reasons. Partly because I want to switch up my workouts/days of workouts and partly because I am at school all summer with no gf and pretty much nothing to do but work and workout (I'm actually really looking forward to it ha).

I think I am going to do a Sun, Mon, Wed, Thurs split. Deadlifts and Pullups/Pushups Sunday; Quads, Hamstrings, and Calves Monday; Upper Back and Tricepts Wednesday; and Chest, Biceps, and Calves (my calves suck) again Thursday.

I started my split today with Deads and Pullups.

I did 5x5s. Looked like this:

8x135 warmup
    8x135 warmup
    5x205
    5x205
    5x205
    5x205
    5x205
    6x185
    6x185

Pullups:

5,5,5,5(barely),3,3

Felt pretty good today. Gonna try 215lbs on the 5x5s next week though. Felt good today. Wanna feel great next week.

16. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

45min cardio on bike, small hills

15 sit-ups
    15 crunches
    15 jackknives

x2

giant sets

i'm so sore from yesterday and today destroyed me, wow

i'm down about .75lbs from yesterday already ha

i also just realized that i set up a 4 day split and did the wrong workout yesterday... sweet deal. upper back is going to be fun tomorrow

17. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

So, confession time...

I have never squated before yesterday.

I have never really had to place to, but yesterday I figured out I can squat if i move my bench a bit so I did. Since I've never done it before I started out light. It went something like this:

12x95
    10x135
    5x185
    5x185
    5x185
    5x185
    5x185
    3x195

I could definately go way heavier but the bar on my upper back felt like crap. It might have to do with the fact that I did upper back stuff the day before, but its prob because I'm new to squatting.

Overal, it was pretty sweet. Worked up a descent burn in the legs.

Next week I am going to start at more lik 150 for warmups, and go to 205-225 for 5xs and see if I can't push something closer to 250 for small reps. We'll see. I won't do anything stupid, but I'm pretty strong and think I can handle it fine.

I finished up with a little calf work.

It was a pretty light leg workout, but I'm trying to figure out a new workout program with some new exercises so this week has been largely trial and error... mostly good though :)

18. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

Chest day Monday. Wore myself out pretty good.

No lifting today but had one of my better cardio workouts.

I did:

15mins stationary bike

giant set: 15 sit-ups, 15 crunches, 15 jackknives x2

ran a mile

another giant set

bike for 20 mins

it was awesome

19. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

upper back workout yesterday

legs today

good workouts but i think im going to swtich mon and wed (chest and upper back days)

Next week I plan on finding out my current 1RM for Bench, Squat, and DL. I want to join the 1000 club and want to find out where I stand.

20. gitoutmyi

gitoutmyi Active Member

deadlift today

135x8
    185x8
    5x225
    5x225
    5x225
    5x225
    5x225
    2x305 PR
    10x185