1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a good idea? Going to a buffet.

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by GatorDeb, Feb 26, 2010.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I started exercising and eating right on 7/3, 215 lbs to 148 lbs so far, watch what I eat, 30/50/20, go to the gym 20 hours a week or so.

I did 2 months of cardio and 6 months of group classes. During March I won't go to the gym at all. I'm doing 19 hours a week of an outdoors boot camp. Start Monday. Then in April go back to the gym, keep some boot camp classes, and do BeachBody programs (P90X, Insanity, ChaLean Extreme, etc.) and just have a mix.

I had one more scheduled class today but plan to skip it and sleep before work. I've already taken 15 classes this week. Last week I took 25. I hurt my back during weights on Monday and it's doing better, but my knee bothers me during kickbox, so planning to skip kickbox tomorrow. Plan to skip the gym the rest of the week to freshen up for boot camp.

Between today and tomorrow will have around a 7k caloric deficit for the week (with all the other days). Plan to go to a buffet Sunday just shock my body and eat whatever I want. Then go back to calorie counting on Monday and start the boot camp. I don't have cheat meals, in the past eight months the only "bad" things I've eaten are a large cheese pizza and two meatball sub footlongs at subway.

Are there any benefits to have such a meal in-between the change from the gym to boot camp or should I just stick to my regular diet? And looking to have people convince me to stay home from the gym, sleep, and rest my back and knee :) Thanks!

2. kinewone

kinewone Active Member

Wow, it sure sounds like you get a helluva lot of exercise during a week. I've heard it before that one large cheat meal (even so much as 1 per week) is good for the system to shock it and keep the thyroid from going dormant. I guess that's similar to the 90/10 rule of 90% of meals are clean and 10% whatever you want.

Basically, considering how meticulous it seems like you are with your diet and exercise, one monstrous meal probably ain't gonna be too detrimental to you in the grand scheme of things.

Enjoy the buffet! :eat:

BTW, excellent job on the weight loss!

3. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

Thanks! :) See, the thing is, mentally I don't need this meal. I'm actually going to have to force myself to take that first bite, I recoil nowadays at the thought of trans fats (pizza, fried stuff, etc.). So I'm just wondering if there's physical, internal benefits to doing it.

4. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Really, I doubt it.

I do think you should take a day or a meal where you don't count, but it would be silly to force yourself to eat something that you feel is unhealthy that you don't want to eat.

Pick the foods on your "healthy" list that you love the most, and eat so many of them that you feel absolutely and completely satisfied. (But not so much that you're uncomfortably stuffed.) To recharge my energy, I've eaten several pounds of strawberries in one go, or nearly a loaf of whole wheat bread with peanut butter and banana.

5. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I posted about this on another bulletin board and they sent me to an article that said cheat meals were good but calorie cycle had the same effect in regulating hormones. So I posted:

What's interesting is that it says calorie cycling has the same effect as cheat days.

I started calorie cycling in December. I calculated my minimum # of calories per day at weight * 10, so when I weighed 170 lbs I ate at least 1700 average per day. So then I went up and down:

Average of 1703 per day. That's when I was using the Polar F11 heart rate monitor and doing calculations by hand.

Since then, I got the Body Bugg and I just eat burned - 1000, whatever burned is, and I try not to go under 1200 a day. Usually I eat 1400-1800 per day. 1800-1900 seems to be my max, i.e. if I burn 4k calories one day, I can't really eat 3000 "good" calories (I could wolf down a pizza to get calories, for instance, but I can't do 3k with my regular diet). So I peter out around 1800 but I can easily take it down to 1200-1400. I was sick for a month and unable to exercise for 5 days and going low impact for 18 days, so I learned how to eat a lot of food for very little calories.

So I never eat the same amount of calories per day. And I plateau but then move along. I've lost an average of 1.97 lbs a week in 34 weeks and I'm losing steadily and my BF is now down to 22.6% and it's falling steadily also. I started monitoring body fat in December when I had a big plateau and it was 34.9% right around 2 months ago. No idea what it was in July.

So if I calorie cycle and I'm losing both lbs and body fat % steadily, will the cheat meal really give me any benefit I'm not already getting?

I burn around 1800 at rest and each cardio gives me 400, cycle gives me 300, so three cardios will yield a daily burn of 3k.

6. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    First off... congratulations on such excellent progress and significant dedication to your efforts.

I'm questioning the reason for so much cardio, especially if you are having trouble eating enough to support your activity level. Wouldn't it be more advantageous to cut back on the classes and bring your daily expenditure in line with a level of intake that you are more comfortable with? I hate to think that you are "forcing" calories into your system just to maintain a higher level of activity.

I personally would be very concerned about overtraining and injury, given the number of classes you are taking and your other activities. I completely understand that you may not want to take "off" completely, but I would advise you to re-evaluate your program at this point and perhaps cut back a little to balance your efforts.

Actually, it sounds like getting out of the gym and taking the boot camp class might be exactly what you need at this point... but wow, three hours a day for six days a week at boot camp? That's a lot too!

#6 phillydude, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  7. Stag

Stag Active Member

Your success is amazing and your drive inspiring! It is obvious you are determined to get your goals!

In my opinion, cheat meals are important for the psychological aspect of the process. I think a good long term strategy is to have a day a week you reserve for attacking any cravings that may come up during the week.

To do this long term, in my experience, you need more rest. The potential for injury or burnout is not worth it. You must be getting very close to your goals, so, ease up on the throttle and trust the weight will still come off. At least scale way back (1/2 at least) for 2 weeks, and if you want go wild again, go for it, but not more than 4 weeks at a time.

8. KoNcEpT61

KoNcEpT61 Active Member

buffet food is really cheap food, and the quality isnt the only problem. you have the ability to eat as much as you want, so you think its a good deal, but you end up eating too little to make up for the 15 dollars or whatever you spent.

9. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Congratulations on a tremendous amount of weight lost. It shows the determination and hard work that you've put in.

I'm with Guava on this one. Don't force yourself to eat a cheat meal, that's just plain silly in my opinion. I'm not an advocate of "shocking" the system with junk food. Personally I think that is nothing more than junk science. There are no legitimate studies that I've seen to prove it; although I'm sure there will be some enterprising member of this forum who will prove me wrong with a link to some obscure study done somewhere. :lol:

Once again, as Guava stated, if you have a need for some favorite food, such as strawberries or peanut butter (two of my favorites by the way), then go ahead and treat yourself one day if you need to. I don't see anything wrong with that. Sometimes we can be a bit too anal about our eating. I've been there before and understand how it can warp your thinking sometimes. I eat totally clean 90% of the time, but enjoy a good "non-clean" meal or treat now and then. I'm not going to be a professional bodybuilder or enter fitness contests at my age, so what the heck.

As an aside, when I'm traveling around the U.S., I often stop at Golden Corral (a buffet restaurant) as I know I can eat healthy there (roasted chicken breast, sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli and other vegetables, etc. )

10. Aleister bates

Aleister bates Active Member

If you're getting 1 cheat meal a week there's no harm.:tucool: