1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Is my diet in check ?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Hurt_Conveyor, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Hurt_Conveyor

Hurt_Conveyor Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Ok so I've been cutting since January, trying to remove the fat I gained over Xmas.... (put on 12lbs, due to binge eating for a couple of weeks lol). Right now I'm roughly back to were I was before Xmas.

I started a bulk back in October and was gonna continue it for 6 months however I just couldn't face bulking after xmas because of the amount of fat I put on. I'm roughly the same bf % as I was before the bulk (13-15%).

I'm wanting to try something new and recently I've been looking at the body for life program, mainly the eating aspect. I want to add on muscle but keep my bodyfat levels as low as I can (even reduce if thats possible) which of course is not easy... i thought it was impossible to be honest, but according to BFL it's possible :confused:

Anyway could some nutritional expert... heh or anyone with a bit more expierience than me :D have a quick look at a typical day of eating for me and tell me where I can tweak things... ?

My stats are:
    5'10/5'11
    149lbs (was 140 before the 3 month bulk and was roughly 158lbs after Xmas)

I've been keeping my calories between 1600-1800 which has been working ok as I've been able to drop 1.5/2 lb per week. However it has slowed down recently. My cals come from 10% Fat | 45% Carbs and Protien. Looking @ the BFL calorie calculator to add muscle and loose fat i need around 40% Protein / 40% Carbohydrate / 20% Fat and 1788 Cals. I'm finding it hard getting 20% fat without goin over my Cals (useually to make up the fat ill eat some peanuts / pistachios / Cashews (SP?) )
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyway heres a typical day of eating as of today.

8:00 / 9:00
    Flavoured Oats
    300 ml Skimmed milk
    2 scoops of Whey Protein

11:00 / 12:00
    2 Slices Bread
    52g of Tuna
    25g of Mayo

14:00 / 15:00
    85g Rice
    1 Egg
    160g Turkey steak

17:00 / 18:00
    300g Baked Beans
    300g Mixed Veg
    80g Bacon

20:00 / 21:00 (Post workout)
    200ml Skimmed Milk
    2 scoops of Whey Protein

10:30 / 0:00

120g Cottage Cheese

Cals = 1850

FAT = 11%
    CARBS = 45%
    PROTEIN = 44%

Or you can check my fitday log here for a more detailed view.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Is this sorta diet alright for me to loose fat and gain muscle ? Atm gaining is my main concern so I may concider any suggestions.

Cheers for your time and help in advance.

HC

P.S. As of today I've just started on creatine again.

#1 Hurt_Conveyor, Feb 21, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  2. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

nope... oats are oats and grits are grits... different beasts... grits are akin to eating sand with some mushy stuff mixed in... ick.. but just my opinion.. I love oats ;-)

3. Hurt_Conveyor

Hurt_Conveyor Well-Known Member

heh heh cheers for helping me on that one... I just watched the ronnie coleman - Cost of redemption vid and saw what he was having for breakfast 'Quaker Grits' and jumped to the conclusion that it must be what im eating cause it had the same dude on the front. I suppose both grits and oats dont really look to appitising to 'look' at

I'll ammend the post :D

4. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

I'm always so hesitant to say anything because diets are so debated, but here it goes.

if it were me...

* i'd swap the milk with water. I believe the sugars/lactose in milk is hurting fatloss more than the calcium is helping it.

* Get rid of the bread slices. It's hurting any progress. Replace it with nuts or something, or maybe a bowl of oatmeal if you NEED the carbs. Avoid insulin spikes during the day.

* Replace the rice with cashews or almonds or something - you need the calories, just not the carbs here. (unless it's after you lift of course)

* up the fat % with nuts, and/or flax/fish oils. you need to eat more fats to lose fat.

5. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

another good replacement for those bread slices and rice would be sweet potatoes... aslo, add more veggies, it looks like your only getting veggies once a day ;)

6. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Can't say that I'm an exert, but I agree with BFL and others that 10% fat is too low. I find that I'm less satiated with too low fat and also that my body is more likely to hold on to more. Just decreasing your portion size of protein and carbs slightly for each meal will allow you do the 40-40-20 split. It doesn't need to be too much per meal either. For fat sources, you can put some macadamia nuts or flax in your cottage cheese. Make your mixed veggies with olive oil. Eat some more fish. Have a little less turkey steak, and instead of the egg, make egg beaters cooked with olive oil. Fish oil pills are always an option to add a little more fat calories too, and they have health benefits as well.

7. williamso

williamso Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree with the other posters here. Generally, I think you have a good diet, but if you want to tweak it -- try their suggestions. However, I don't think I'd mess with it if I was getting good results.

For fat, I eat 1 oz of almonds in the evenings, just before bed -- yummy.

8. Sturm

Sturm Well-Known Member

err, breads and carbs do not equal fat gain city necessarily - progress is still definitely possible with these elements in a nutritional plan....

9. bni

bni Well-Known Member

i dont know what to say!
    i wonder about your current physique. and youre cutting??? u must with 1800 cals. but at 5'10/5'11 i duno how much fat u can have when weighing 149lbs. looks like yer eating healthy clean food tho.

10. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

progress is still possible when eating chocolate, whale-blubber and drinking jolt all day too.

...but for BETTER progress, it's best to tweak a diet as much as you can. Replacing the bread and rice is a very easy thing to do, so why not? I'm not against carbs - I'm against HIGH GI carbs consumed on days where you don't lift.

11. Oranzith

Oranzith Well-Known Member

bread and rice are not necessarily high GI carbs. brown rice and REAL whole wheat bread are both low GI carbs. no problems there

12. Sturm

Sturm Well-Known Member

exactly...low-gi, healthy, and delish if i might add :eat:

13. supaspic

supaspic Well-Known Member

Real whole wheat bread? How do i know if my bread is "REAL"?

14. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Read the label- needs to be made with whole grains, not enriched/processed flours. If you really want whole grains, seek out breads generically called "Ezekial 9 grain" breads. No flour- only sprouted grains. Can be pricey but tasty and high in fiber.

15. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

how's the progress going Sturm?

16. champien speller

champien speller Well-Known Member

Code:
    How do i know if my bread is "REAL"?
    Wow, now we are getting philosopical.... my bread thinks therefore it is :D

seriously though look for whole grains and seeds. they really slow absorption and are great for bowel health.

17. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. You think a health food store would have this? I just bought some bread at the supermarket today, but generally I haven't been eating bread at all because the bread at my supermarket (a Publix) is crap. All of their 'whole grain' bread has some high fructose corn syrup, molasses + other bad stuff albeit in small amounts.

18. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I LOVE grits! Maybe it's cause I'm a southern boy. :)

Pass me a spoon ya'll!!!

19. Sturm

Sturm Well-Known Member

excellent - not that ive ever been overweight in my life. A high natural carb vegetarian diet full of fruits, veggies, tofu/soy, whole grain breads and cereals since birth, as well as staying active in sports and just in general has kept me lean; topped out around 165 lbs and bf% of around 18 percent at my heaviest (5'8"), yet when i was at my absolute leanest about a year ago (140, 4% bf), I wasnt thinking about progressing towards a goal, didnt frequent these types of sites, didnt count macro goals (though i did ue fitday, and it usually was about 60/25/15 c/p/f), etc. - just ate well, ran alot (out of enjoyment, not as cardio/fat loss concerns), lifted heavy, and lived life - have a great day!

#19 Sturm, Feb 22, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  20. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

cool cool.. i think running is great. it's one of my favorite things to do nowadays. you were down to 4% bf??? crazy. Do you have pictures of that? I wouldnt even know what 4% would look like.

It's interesting that i've never had grits in my entire life - nor do i even know what they are. All i know is from "My Cousin Vinny". Just the name sounds pretty fatning though.