1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to reduce bf% without cardio?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Timshel, May 2, 2017.

1. Timshel

Timshel Active Member

Hi all. Silly newbie question probably, I've not been able to get a straight answer from googling :)

I was just wondering, is it possible to reduce bf% purely through dieting and weight lifting? The reason I ask is that I've got pretty bad asthma and cardio tends to aggravate it so while I very much want to decrease my bf% I don't want to do any cardio if I can possibly help it.

Many thanks!

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    It certainly is... in fact, you can reduce BF by changing only one factor... your nutrition intake. if you want to lose a pound a week, you need to decrease your overall caloric intake by 3500 calories per week vs your normal caloric intake (as a general rule... there are a LOT of variables that go into that equation). It doesn't really matter if you do that through reduced consumption of food, or increased output of energy through exercise. Many professional bodybuilders (who routinely get their BF% into the low single digits) will do no cardio at all to get there (for fear of burning muscle, as opposed to fat, to fuel their bodies). With that said, however, even a brisk walk will burn some calories, so I don't see a need to eliminate cardio completely from the program, even if you have difficulty with higher-intensity exercises.

3. Brian Golden

Brian Golden Well-Known Member

Weight lifting is superior but the best thing that I've done was three day splits with 10 minutes of pre and post cardio with an average 50 minute workout.

Of course, the absolute best way to burn fat ASAP is HIIT. Only do 23 minutes and drink as much water as possible before and after, and if you're really bold just drink a mix of 5 g L-Glut with a dash of complete grass fed beef whey protein isolate.

4. autumngirl

autumngirl Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I had a similar situation in the past. Try the lower intensity Cardio for 30 minutes (I prefer a fasted low intensity Cardio in the morning) and do split of 2 or 3 or 4 days (there are many programs over here, you can look them up, and decide what would serve you best). If you want a sure program to lose fat, you monitor your caloric intake, that's all what you need.