1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it better to go over your daily calories or go hungry?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by GatorDeb, Jan 10, 2010.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

Let's say you set a goal for the day and you just find yourself hungrier. About 400 over your allowance for the day hungrier. You don't eat anything out of the ordinary, the same stuff you normally eat but more (i.e. same healthy stuff). Is it better to go hungry and keep to your calories or exceed a day by 400 or so once in a while?

2. George

George Senior Member

For most people, I don't think bumping up the calories from clean foods once in a while is a bad idea. It might help mentally and prevent you from binging later. Will it take slightly longer to cut? Maybe a little, but you won't be miserable doing it.
    If you're deep into a precontest diet, it might be harmful, though. This obviously doesn't apply for most people. :)

If you're getting hungry on your diet, I would consider increasing the volume of your food. Adding lots of fibrous vegetable is a good way of doing that.

3. nksmith

nksmith Well-Known Member

I agree about adding more fibrous vegetables, but also evaluating your healthy fat intake. In my opinion, however, the first step would be to determine how you arrived at your "goal" number of calories. Was this an arbitrary amount, or did you reach this number by some type of calculation.

It's possibly that the goal amount of calories that you have imposed for yourself is actually too low.

4. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I go by weight * 10 for basal, so now that I'm at 164 lbs I put my daily at 1650 (adjust every 5 lbs, I just went down from 1700 to 1650 and I felt it). I zig-zag, so I do:

Average of 1654 a day.

Ended up "going hungry" but I ate so much by noon that I didn't really feel it until the last hour. Today is another 1525 day but I'm doing better in spacing it.

5. BJ

BJ Active Member

To quote RTE...

You're not hungry... POWs were hungry

6. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

I say go stuff yourself with vegetables.

My wife did Jenny Craig and lost something like 80lbs in a year.. The JC model was eat their main entree (which is small - or said another way - appropriate) and go nuts stuffing yourself with vegetables. They are basically free in that model and I don't see any issues with that.

So eat some carrots ;-)

7. nksmith

nksmith Well-Known Member

Good! :tucool:

I still think that hunger can usually be mitigated with additional healthy fats. So if you keep getting hungry, swap one of your later carb meals for some almonds and cottage cheese. Good luck!