1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Irons' journey (and backstory)

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Irons, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

Hmm, long time reader, first time poster (I think).
    Figured I'd try to make my own journal and stuff.

First of, My real name or part of it is Marius, I'm a 28 (well 29 in a few days) year old Norwegian dude, living with my girlfriend in Sweden at the moment, who just recently (two weeks ago started working out again).

This is what I call take two of working out, back 4 years ago I weighed in at 150-ish kg, wasnt the happiest of persons, marriage that didnt really work and stuff like that so I decided it was time for changes, I started working out, then got divorced, lived lifes happy days before I settled down and moved out of the country leaving my old family and my kid with his mother (was not a easy thing todo I tell you, but it's working out fairly good, I guess for those of you who are americans here it's basicly across a state in distance (1hour flight).

Anyway the before and after of phase one:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Sp33d/100_0243.jpg
    happy face is well pretty round :\

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Sp33d/DSC00690.jpg
    another one, showing of that nice hanging chin of mine..

Those are the "best"pictures I had from that time, 150kg, time to start progressing...

So, what did I do? well as the geek I am internet was the solution and thats how I found one of those rare inspirations in life, John, I think the first think I saw was that gif image showing his progress, and soon started reading up.. got myself a stationary bike, a small old bench with some weights (it even had a pulldown part so I can work out almost everything) and started going (I later added a bigger bench, a bigger bar (183cm long one), the curl bar and well the preacher curl pillow thing)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Sp33d/Pumpiniron.jpg
    thats me on the "bigger" bench, couldent find any pictures of the old thing..
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Sp33d/Picture8.jpg
    me trying to "show off" my "new" arms :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Sp33d/BaW_open_small.jpg
    thats the end result before things went abit downhill again..

The last picture is me weighing around 100kg, I did alot of muscle building compared to before (the myo-tape, I think thats the name, I bought this kind of thing on bodybuilder.com) showed a 4.6cm increas around my biceps atleast, from sloppy and big to firm and bigger I guess.

So what is part two?
    Well like I said, I moved away from my family, my friends and all to a new country, money trouble happend (not the serious kind but hard enough) missing my kid combined with a new and more demanding work, a two room aparment (where we lived three people) didnt fit my old gym and motivation was at a all time low, so two weeks ago I decided enough was enough (and a weight of 140kgs aint fun!).

At work we have a free gym so, heck time to take advantage of it!
    Dont have any current pictures but it'll come soon enough, 140kg was day 1, two weeks ago, today it showed 137kg, so it's steadily going there.

My so far route is fairly straight forward.
    I warm up with either running or biking for 10-15 min (using the intervall program) then do a round of various weight things (lats, shoulders, chest and arms are the main focus as my legs are fairly decently muscled and I'll focus abit more on them later, I still do some squats, and machine based leg stuff).

When I reach 130kg's and feel that things are getting better I'm thinking about hopping back on the maxOT routine I had, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Guess thats the start of it, thanks for reading, sorry for my English, exercise english aint my strong side yet.

Goals:
    - Be able to run 20 minutes on the threadmill => Achived 5th of october
    - Go down to 130kg in weight (current 137) => Currently 129kg goal reached late april
    -New Goal 120kg
    - Get back in to my 36" pants (currently using 44") --> Currently 42"
    Two new goals:
    - 150kg squats (currently 120kg)
    - 200kg deadlifts (currently 143kg)

And again John, like I pm'ed you on the book of faces, thanks for the inspiriation you have given me!

#1 Irons, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

So food stuff

I'we kept away from almost all snacks and sweets now for two weeks.

but something along the line of this (need to improve it)

Yesterday:
    Breakfast:
    2-3 slices of crisp dark rye bread, with low fat cream cheese and tomatos/cucumbers on top, glas of milk to wash it down with

Lunch
    Soymarinated Fish filé, wholesome rice (is that what its called?) and some form of wasabi dressing (this was our work place lunch offer for those who want to live lighter, so called "keyhole" marked)

Dinner:
    2 slices of crisp dark rye again, same toppings, one slice of soft dark rye bread with the same, big mug of water -->off he gym here.

Gym was nice, I like feeling small progressing happning, like being able to run without getting as tired as when I started.

Warmup:
    10min on the threadmill, 3min@7,5km/h elevation up from 0 to - 8% every 20sec, then 7min@8,5km/h.
    Stretched fairly good aferwards and did some upperbody work to give my feet a little rest (mainly pulldowns on the machine, preacher curls and butterfly (direc translation, chest exercise).
    Then did squats (warmup 30kg + bar, after that 50k + bar), leg extension workout (both the one you lift your legs up and then one where you start straigt and pull them down and make a 90% angle on the knees).

supper/before bed food:
    2 pices of crisp dark rye bread again, lots of water.
    Some cut (self cut) carrots.

Now my diet is fairly boring and I need to do something about it, I'm working in more greens and I'll try to have a salad a day and more proteins, also considering suplements, last time I worked out I did creatin and during the end of my training regime proteins to.

Today:
    Brekfast, crispy rye, cream cheese and some cucumber
    Lunch (due to many meetings) oatmeal poridge (water and oatmeal).
    Dinner - Not sure, thinking about chicken, brown rice and veggies/salad.

Excerise plans for today: none so far, got abit of soreness from yesterday, but I might to some light workout with my smaller weights at home, no time to head to the gym today.

#2 Irons, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  3. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

Sunday 03.10.2010

Been a few days without exercise now, visitors and kiddo parties.
    Food wise I went abit off track on friday and saturday, had a stop at one of the American Diners here, so baconburger and some fries, but after that it was back on the harder line.

I'm almost starting to worry that I'm going to low on the calorie count so I need to start counting more..

Anyway, went to the gym today, my legs have been feeling really sore after thursdays leg workout, but my upper body felt fine, started on the mill with some running but after 5min I had to stop with a small cramp building up, I tried 5more minutes without the elevation but same problem.
    After that I did a upperbody workout, shoulders, lats, arms and chest.

Weight wise I'm still around 2-3kg less then when I started.
    Also looking to get a stationary bike for home use, since I dont have time to go the gym daily.

4. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

First milestone reached, just now 40 mins ago I had my 20min run completed! (2.6km).
    went suprisingly easy to, had a point around 11min in to it where my stomach started giving signals, but I held it with one hand and kept pushing (my guess it's my front heavy belly that gets to much strain from the shake):jumping:

After that I did some weight training, went abit lighter today, due to the strain from the run..

1 set of 10 reps /35kg pulldown for warmup
    3 sets of 6 reps /60kg pulldown

3 sets of 6 reps /50 kg's on the bar (not sure how much a 50mm bar weighs?) <--Squats (ninja edit)

Then I did some reverse preacher curls (3 sets 20kg on a curl bar).
    A good stretch and well a shower later and I'm here!

One thing I'm still unsure about is my diet..
    going to have to work on calculating it, but for now I'll just list it:

breakfast: 2 slices of dark rye, low fat creamcheese and cucumbers.
    Lunch: low fat option at work, potatos and minced meat patties (the healthy ones) with some mushroms, side salad with well salad, grated carrots, some kidney beans and those white ones with a "black eye", some olives and some cucumbers (the keyhole marked lunch is marked 500-700 Calories)
    Before workout (sort of after work) half a can of tuna in oil (aprox: 185cal pr 100 grams, I had about 90 grams) and a slice of rye bread, 4dl of 1.5% milk).

Any help with the diet and tips would be welcome!

ALSO:
    [​IMG] :bb:

#4 Irons, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  5. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

quick update:

Workout today:
    - 2min quick walk + 10 min run (9km/h) 2-8% elevation (1.6km total lenght)
    - Triceps 4x6reps (first set 40kg, to next 60 kg, last 70kg)
    - Deadlifts (I was worried about these ones, never done deadlifts before):
    - 1x6 reps 50kg no problems
    - 1x6 reps 70kg still no problems
    - 1x6 reps 90kg starting to notice the weight.
    - 3x 100kg my back got abit of a burn feeling but mostly my grip was getting bad (this might be due to alot of strength loss after my Carpal tunnel operation).

Leg extentions:
    -3x6 reps 60kg (this was my last routine of the day so didnt want to push more, my legs are still slightly sore from tuesdays run + squats.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, I liked the deadlifts, and I think on my 3 day split I can fit squats on one day, pulldowns on one and Deadlifts on the third, combined with some smaller exercises and my cardio it seems fairly ok atleast.

Also weight dipped under 136kg, so in the ~3weeks of workingout and eating less it's 4kg, I feel good about making 130kg before xmas now, but time will tell!

6. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

Quickly adding my food for friday:

[pie=irons]2010-10-08[/pie]
    had a bit of a "cheat meal" for dinner (low fat sausages with some fries, even got to try the custom food and added all the swedish stuff!)

Trying to keep the fats lower in the future, but well fries made it in there :O

7. danielvh

danielvh Active Member

Keep it up! You have the advantage of having done it all before so know what you can achieve.

8. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

Thanks and yeah I suppose I know, I feel it went faster last time tough (impatiant much?)

And since I'm here, gonna make that chilli from the food thread today, figued it sounded like a good source of stuff :P

food for this day:
    [pie=irons]2010-10-09[/pie]

#8 Irons, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  9. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

Just got out of the gym, today didnt feel like the best of days, wasnt to motivated to head down here but did it anyway.
    Also swapped around abit, was supposed todo the running after the lifting

Anyway, my pulldowns are heavier then last time

Pulldowns:
    1x10x50kg
    2x6x65kg
    1x6x75kg

Situps in between the sets on a small roman chair.

Benchpress (flat).
    1x10x40kg warmup
    3x6x60kg
    1x6x80kg (last one didnt feel to stable so more like 5 reps)

Shoulderpress (lever machine)
    3x6x30kg

Shoulder press was hard today, I dont know why but I felt really weak lifting those, guess I gotta work more on my shoulder pushes later on.

After this I set the mill to 15min and started some quick walking, after 5 min I juiced it up to 9.5km/h but coundelt go more then 5min, my body just refused to cooperate, not sure why but thats how it was.

Food wise yesterday was bad, we had a kiddo party so was in a warm humid (moist) swiminghall, and the closet I got to food during 5 hours was a loaf of bread and a sausage (not a hotdog, but a food sausage, "low on fat" supposedly. made chili when I got home (the one in the recepie forum, managed to go wrong with cayene and chili so it turned rather hot, but edible). I'we managed to up my calories abit been around 1600-1800 the last two days, today it's only been some oatmeal porridge with a spoon of honey, a glas of juice and soon a banana! gonna have som chili for lunch and figure out what todo for dinner.

Also our due date for the baby is closing up so abit tense about that to these days :P

anyway, thanks for reading (I guess someone does due to the over 200 views:bow:)

Edit: adding the pie:
    [pie=irons]2010-10-10[/pie]

#9 Irons, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  10. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

Tuesdays leg day over!
    And again, like sunday motivation and energy is really low, my legs started messing with me 8mins in to the run so I stopped it, chilled for a few mins and streched properly.

Went todo some leg workout with weights.

Squats:
    - 1x8x50kg warmup
    - 2x6x80kg
    - 1x5x100kg (last one was a bitch and I didnt want to push for the 6th (legs where giving in on the last one).

Leg extentions:
    3x6x40kg again legs started shaking during the end of the last set.

leg curls
    3x6x40 these where abit easier, "fatigue" hit during the last set

All sets had 1,5-2min break between, with some light stretching.

Total time in the gym today: 35min (included the stretchings)

I'we noticed some lack of energy and I'we been trying to eat more, tough I suspect I'm way to low on my proteins.. could this be a reason for the tiredness and slow recovery (got some nasty muscle soreness that sticks for longer then the start)?

From the day I had the most intake:

Calories 1711.6 Calories from fat 502.2
    Fat 55.8 g 85.85 %
    Saturated Fat 12.2 g 61 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 4.8 g 7.38 %
    Polyunsaturated Fat 6.6 g 0 %
    Trans Fat 0 g 0 %
    Cholesterol 81 mg 27 %
    Sodium 2341.9 mg 97.58 %
    Carbohydrate 217.3 g 72.43 %
    Sugars 41.3 g 0 %
    Dietary Fibre 21.8 g 87.2 %
    Alcohol 0 g 0 %
    Protein 99.4 g 198.8 %

From my point of view, this day is the one I had the most proteins, I'm currently at 135,8kg (down from 140 atleast!).. the other days it's been about 50-60g.

Also suspecting it's my antibiotics (5 months struggle with sinuses, infection in them and a surgical fix of a opening between tooth root and sinus)

Meh, hopefully it'll be better for thursdays backday!:lol:

11. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

Been trying to use the bodyshop more and more, its rather fun, like playing a little simulator game..

anyway figured I'd do some measurements (that is have my girlfriend, the seam mistress do it)

[​IMG]
    (the tigh measure was done around one thigh tough.. (gonna keep doing that just because I like the round one thigh one better..

Also decided to take some new photos and added to my shop page

[​IMG][​IMG]

My god I'm looking forward to seeing more progress:o

12. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

Just leight arm and shoulder workout yesterday, with dumbells at home, was supposed to go to the gym after work but got called home on a false larm..

[​IMG]

the other kid that lives with her (not my kid, but my girls from a previous one) is going to his dad for a week now, so I'll have more time to gym, unless something else happens, diet wise I'm still doing fairly good, havent had time/energy to keep my days updated in the bodyshop but roughly 1500-2000 calories a day, low on fat and still to low on proteins.

13. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

man it's 7:30am and I'we been up for 24hours, food went to hell the last two days, but hey: me and my girlfriend got a healthy baby girl at 04:02am the 16th of october, lets see how much time I have to work out now :D

14. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Congrats on the baby man. Since this is a site about getting healthy instead of cigars, protein shakes for everybody!

15. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

So, back here again now, been a loong time.

Had a major set back after the baby was born, plus I had a double surgery twice (fourth time if you cant the ones before the baby was born).

Started working out again two-three weeks ago, focus for me has been to get my weight and size down and getting some stamina (tired of getting tired in the stairs).

I'm hitting the gym about 4-6 days a week, doing shorter sessions, alternating between cardio and weight training.
    Food wise I'm going fairly clean, not 100% sure about my macro's but I'm enjoying this alot more then the first time around (eat what I want, just skip the nasties, plating half with salads and veggies, one fourth with meat and one fourth with brown rice, pasta or potatoes).

Weight dropped bellow 133kg now and I'm down one size in pants (wich is the best part!).

Also went on to get myself a pair of new shoes for running, choice fell on the Vibram fivefingers whool version, took some getting used to but now I love them!

As for workout I'm focusing on the bigger musclegroups, havent botherd with to much "targeting", doing squats, pulldowns, presses and deadlifts mostly, once a week I do arms to.

As I said building more muscle isnt prio, just a added bonus!

16. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

Quick workout in the morning,

2.5km run (mixed elevation, steady 9.5km speed)
    Lat pulldowns (4 sets, 3 sets x 10 reps (40,40, 50kg) 1x6x60kg)
    Deadlifts (3 sets, 2x10x80kg "speed lifting", 1x6x120kg)

Weight is now down to 132kg size feels better to (slimmer waist, less handles).
    Foodwise I'm still not to picky, I eat healthy and lean and try to meet my required daily's for the activity levels, but as long as I dont go hungry and I feel like I got energy I'm not paying to much attention to it.
    I did however up my food intake slightly to compensate for the extra days in the gym.

Have a nice day everyone

Irons out:tu:

17. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

Another day another gym trip!

Actually starting with yesterdays.
    2.5 km run (15min)
    Flat bench 4 sets, 10-10-6-6 reps, 40 50 60 80 kg.
    Biceps curls with a curlbar, 3 setsx10 (30/30/40kg)
    Cable crossover 3 sets x6 (20/20/30kg (on each hand obviously)
    and ended with a 15 min quick paced walk (and came home with blisters on my foot again, thank you fivefingers:lol:)

So today, strange gym day.
    Decided to take up the offer of free Yoga from a girl at work, she was tired of the lack of men trying, so one hour of "advanced yoga" was suprised how tiresome that was actually, alot of static training, got alot of burning muscles and painfully stretched joints.

Followed up with 1 hour in the gym.
    10 min run (1.5km)
    Sitting rows on a machine (3 sets, 40 40 40kg (10 reps)
    lat pulldown (3 sets 45 45 55 kg (10/10/8 reps)
    Deadlifts 4 sets ( 50 80 80 100kg /10/10/8/6reps) first set was quick paced.
    And ended with a 20min quick paced walk 2.5km)

Food today has been bad, or to little of it atleast, dark crisp rye bread for breakfast, stir fried beed with veggies and rice for lunch and some rye bread for "snacks between". still at work after the gym but I got 1.5kg of lean pork meat at home to cook, and 1kg of chicken breast, gonna fry it all up and put in portion packs for the rest of the week, weekend and well as long as it lasts, together with salad and wild rice.

Thats all for today:bb:

18. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

How tall are you?

19. Irons

Irons Well-Known Member

I am roughly 187cm tall

20. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

So are you 6'2" and weigh 290 lbs(137kgs)?