1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

iPods???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by seoulnewfie, Jan 20, 2005.

1. seoulnewfie

seoulnewfie Well-Known Member

I am a avid mac user and it goes without saying that I am inturn an iPod owner.

How many out there use iPods in your gym? How many know about the in-earphone?

Because I am in Korea my gym plays a lot of really crappy music. My iPod has saved me! And the in-earphones block out all external sound (not so good when I almost get hit by a bike on the sidewalk).

What's on your iPod?

Cheers!

2. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well I don't personally like the in-ear headphones. In theory they are a neat idea but darn it they just don't stay in my ears!

Yes, iPods are unbelievable. I hope to get the iPod Photo by the end of the year. :) I have the iTrip too (just got it a few days ago) and it's surprisingly very very nice. Music comes through my car stereo sounding very clean. So I'm just waiting till I get a new car, and I wanna install some kind of mount or something in it, so the iPod will be closer to the stereo/dash.

3. GM Enthusiast

GM Enthusiast Well-Known Member

The ipod is the best invention ever (though I would say that for any mp3 player with 5 gigs or more). I used to have a little 64 meg player that I could fit maybe 12 songs, and would always have to fiddle with changing the songs, because I don't like too much repetition, I like to keep things new. I would not do cardio without my ipod - it just goes by 100 times easier and faster with good music. I also have playlists set up for normal, fast pace and cool down. I don't use it when lifting though. The gym I go to finally got rid of the trendy teenage MTV music and replaced it with good 80's and 90's music that is a lot more fun and easier on the ears.

As for what's on it - everything from Def Leppard to Linkin Park. There is even some country music that is nice and fast.

Also, I got my ipod from freeipods.com. It took a while to get all the referrals, but it was worth it for a free ipod. If anyone (in the US) is willing to help me get the woman an ipod shuffle, I'd appreciate it too :)
    http://www.FreeiPodShuffle.com/?r=14199105

4. Lucky13MN

Lucky13MN Well-Known Member

I have one, but don't use it much like I should... probably because the dang batter died and doesn't hold a charge anymore. Know problem, but the cost to replace the battery is almost as much (or more) than a new one.

So there is sits tucked away in a drawer... Enjoy 'em while they work!

5. jtelling

jtelling Well-Known Member

I picked up an armband for my iPod and that did the trick. No more skipping or stopping when hitting the hard drive to buffer another song. You could always give something like that a try.

6. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hate to derail the thread, but does anyone have the iPod Photo yet? I was thinking about picking one of those up, but I keep thinking there's going to be something better soon, like maybe an iPod that does video too. How cool would that be?

7. seoulnewfie

If it is under a year you can get it done for free from apple. Or you can get a battery for about $30 and do it yourself. My friend did it and it works great.

8. seoulnewfie

Have you tried the different sizes? I had the same problem. My right ear was fine, but it kept falling out of my left ear. Then i realized that one ear was probably a different size than the other and changed the left....no problems now! :claphigh:

9. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Oh really? I didn't know they came in different sizes. Thank you for that tip, I will go check apple.com and see what they have. Thanks!

10. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

Same here! I was starting to think I had deformed ears because everyone else seems to love them. My in ear earphones are constantly falling out. I have to jam them in so had that my ears feel like they are bruised or something when I take them out. Last week I bought a pair of Sony in ear ones that have the clip thing that goes on the outside of your ear. They are a little better, but I still don't think they fit like they should. :lol:

11. sox311

sox311 Well-Known Member

I agree, the Ipod is one of the best inventions ever. I can't decide if it is rated above or below the DVR(tivo). I used to never get to watch anything on TV I wanted to watch, but now it is all up to me instead of the clock.

I have a G2, so it is only 5 gigs. But it is still makes everything better.

I have an aux output on my car stero, so no need for an Itrip, or any of the problems with it that I have read in reviews.

12. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'd put iPod up there as one of the best inventions in the past few years for sure. The mini is tight too!

I need to get mine wired into my car stereo instead of using iTrip, but I'm gonna wait until I get a new car (hopefully soon), and probably an iPod photo (hopefully soon too!).

13. daDUDE

daDUDE Well-Known Member

Someone Stole My Ipod Yesturday....!!! (at School) I Have Asked And Searched Evreyone And Everywhere... :-(

14. sox311

sox311 Well-Known Member

1fastGTX - Yea, try to find a deck with the AUX output. All it is is a little jack and you connect a double positive extender cord from your Ipod to your deck. It is MONEY!

My ex-brother-in-law said that he has had trouble finding one though. I just got lucky that it was on my stock deck. Go figure?

DaDude - That stinks. If i was still in school and living in the Fraternity house I would have that thing on me at all times, even when I sleep.

15. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

sox -- thanks bro! I'm definitely gonna check that out. It's kinda a pain though to get just the right stereo. Well maybe not anymore. I have a Kenwood mp3 version here in the box still (freaking Onstar -- pain in the butt). Now with the ipod I don't really need the mp3 cd player. What, fit a hundred or so songs on a bunch of cds, or fit 40 gig on the iPod? :)

dadude - wtf is up with that?? Sorry to hear it. If you get another one have them engrave it (I saw on apple.com that they do this now).

16. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of putting photos on an ipod?

I am contemplating getting a mini. One thing: I hate Apple. I hate the way they made it so you have to be a neurosurgeon to replace the battery verses designing it so that any one can. I believe that Apple has gotten very lucky in that no one has come close to making a better designed for-the-user product than the ipod. Apple didn't learn from their failure at PCs about trying to lock down every facet of a product. Apple has no one else to blame but themselves for creating the creature also known as Microsoft. If they had only let other companies develop apps for the Mac. I digress....

I am thinking of either the mini or shuffle, but I cannot stand having anything on my arm when I am at the gym. I have to put the strap on too tight. Those are straps are not made for people with bicep peaks.

17. ksm4791

ksm4791 Well-Known Member

I picked up a mini ipod and use it for working out, it comes with a belt clip, I do cardio on the elliptical and it hasnt fallen off or budged from the waist band. When weightlifting depending on what im doing I do have to shift it back alittle and forth alittle in order not to get in the way.

18. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I have a mini, not a regular iPod. So it holds 4GB. First, I too would never use an armband. Pain in the butt. Second, heck I would only use it for cardio anyway. I don't really listen to music when I work out. Besides having wires hanging from my ears is a pain in the butt, gets in the way, etc.

Now the purpose of the iPod Photo. I agree, I don't see much point to having pictures on it. But I think a benefit is connecting it either through wires or wirelessly to your tv or computer, you can show pictures to friends or whatever. I don't know that I would personally do this, but I think that's one of the things they use for a selling point.

One thing I think I'd like better about the Photo version is the fact that it holds 60GB as opposed to 40 like the regular iPod. Definitely more than you'd need for a gym session (the Mini would be fine for the gym, plus it's much smaller), but nice anyway.

The Photo version also has a color screen (obviously), while the regular iPods have a standard black and white screen.

There's a comparison table here:

http://www.apple.com/ipodphoto/specs.html

19. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yea, I THINK it's pretty much the same as a regular iPod, only it has a color screen and you can view photos on it. They need to incorporate video into it and that would make it 10 times better. Incorporate a megapixel camera into it and WOW...how tight would that be? :)

You can store I believe any type of file on it actually, so you could also use it for like a portable usb/firewire hard drive. I guess you just couldn't view the files depending on what they were, but you could still put something on there and then take the iPod to your office and pull it off and back onto another computer (text files, Word, video clips, work stuff, whatever).

The mini I have will view txt files, so I have a couple of things on there like my grocery list, but the viewing options leave a lot to be desired. The grocery list is pretty much all I use it for, but honestly it's no better than taking a piece of paper to the grocery store. :)