1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Ipod Nano VS Ipod Video

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by RoyPardo, Dec 17, 2006.

1. RoyPardo

RoyPardo Well-Known Member

Hi, i was wondering if any of you guys use them while cardio/training a.... And wanted to hear your opinions about battery life, scratching-falling incidents, over-all carrying confortability...Since the diference between an ipod nano 8 gigs and a video ipod 30 gigs its only 50 bucks i cant make my mind....

Also the only major diference i see is the apparent size, and that ipod nano can use the nike+ system. But since i only run in the gym and not outside, i think i dont need it.... My biggest concern is size and confort as i said earlier....Also do you know if the video ipod has arm belts and are they confortable?

Thak you all and happy holidays
    :tu:

2. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Are you running inside on a track or a treadmill? I'll assume it's on a treadmill since you said you wouldn't have a use for the Nike+. If you're on a treadmill, you don't really need an arm belt...you can just rest it on a machine.

Obviously, I'd get some kind of case if you're using it for workouts.

3. SCHTEEVIE

SCHTEEVIE Well-Known Member

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

If you're just using it for training/cardio, you may even consider the Shuffle. It's not like you need a display at those times.

I was skeptical of the Shuffle at first, but now I'm all over it. It's so small and perfect for running and great when training (it's NEVER anywhere close to being in the way).

If you're doing LISS...I think that having a video player is a nice touch. It can sure be boring otherwise.

5. CJohnson

CJohnson Well-Known Member

I would stay away from hard drive based players (usually anything over 8gigs). They are moving components inside them, and are prone to exercise based issues, especially while running. You can easily damage them. If you're just doing a treadmill and putting on a stand, you're probably fine. But if you're going the armband route, stick with a flash based one (nano, shuffle, basically anything 8gb or lower). They are solid state and have no moving parts, so do not suffer from any issues.

6. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

I use either my cell phone or a cheapo from radio shack for jogging...sometimes the ipod vid, depends what mood I'm in or if I have time after the jog to sit back and watch some video podcasts.

When I'm doing cardio on the bike at home I tend to use the ipod video...just more stuff to play with!

I would go with the ipod video, then if you can swing it buy a chepo with good sound if size is an issue.

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I have an iPod video that I use when working out. I particularly like that I can watch TV shows and movies while doing cardio. :tu:

That said, I'm paranoid about breaking it one of these days because of the hard drive and am going to get a Shuffle for my high-impact workouts.

8. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I have a 60GB G5 iPod video. I use it for cardio and I often watch video podcasts while walking on the treadmill. I never run or do any HIIT cardio, so jarring the hard disk is not an issue for me.

I have a water-resistant, padded neoprene athletic sleeve for it that I got off EvilBay for about $10. Having the cushioned case has made all the difference, as I've dropped my iPod a few times and it's still in mint condition, not a scratch (including the easily scratched video screen) and it works great.

I am considering getting an iPod Shuffle just for lifting. The video iPod often needs to be moved around on my beltline depending on what exercises I'm doing. It seems like every time I move to a new exercise, I have to move the iPod out of my way. It's a bit bulky for lifting purposes, but I've managed for about a year with it now and it's a minor inconvenience. I saw a Shuffle in the Apple Store on Saturday, and it's so tiny, it's perfect for lifting but I can still bring my video one for LISS cardio sessions on the treadmill.

The other nice thing about the 60GB is the size of the files I can carry around. All 60GBs doesn't have to be used for music, and I often carry data from work or home on it for transport purposes. When you get into hacking your video iPod and truly customizing it, it becomes a powerful tool. I wouldn't trade my iPod vid for all the world, but for lifting, it can have its pitfalls. All in all, I strongly recommend skipping the Nano and going with the video version.

-R

9. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

If you think you'll enjoy all the funcions of the video, by all means get it. I had one for a year and enjoyed it but rarely watched videos on it. I just used it for lifting and had it on shuffle. I dropped it recently at he gym (it is a little heavy) and it broke. I replaced it with an iPod Shuffle and I'm happy with it. I have a Mac at home so the iTunes is not an issue. The Shuffle's light weight is perfect for lifting when I just want some music going on in my head. And it's easy to get it out of the way for certain lifts.

10. RoyPardo

RoyPardo Well-Known Member

Thanx all, In a shopping frenzy i ended up buying the ipod video 30 gigs and an arm band and neoprene case....

If i had tought about it a second time, i maybe woudn't have bought it
    :D

11. needachange

needachange Active Member

Just be careful if you run with it on the treadmill and set it in the cup holders or whatever on the machine. I keep my Nano in my pocket now because one time I stopped my run went to step off the treadmill and left it in the holder, I stepped off my headphones went tight and the Nano went flying over my head and landed about 10 feet behind me nearly clocking this lady right in the head that was walking by. She literally jumped out of the way to avoid being hit by it :lol: Thankfully the Nano survived the impact I had only had it for 2 days at that time, really would've sucked if it broke.

12. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. I don't know how I'd live without mine anymore. :tu:

13. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

You made a good choice. Pick up a 512-1GB Creative Zen Nano or SanDisk Sansa for like $30, for lifting, one of these days and then you can have the best of both worlds.

14. Wonder Boy

Wonder Boy Well-Known Member

What is the procedure for uploading songs onto the Nano? I had owned an older 40 gig iPod, and was farrr from filling it. I do, however, have more than 2000 songs that would overflow on the 8 gig Nano. So what happens when your music library is larger than 2000 songs? Do you get to select which songs are uploaded? Or does it just upload the first 2000 songs in order?

Just curious, as I would be inclined to get the Nano to avoid damage like my last iPod and take advantage of its convenient size.

15. needachange

needachange Active Member

You pick the songs by clicking and dragging them into "my ipod" or whatever folder you want on the left in Itunes. Then just click "update ipod" and you are golden.