1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

iPod help?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Wonder Boy, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Wonder Boy

Wonder Boy Well-Known Member

Ok, so the hard drive of my computer recently crashed, and all of my music files were lost. Luckily, I had updated my iPod a few days before this, and I was wondering if anybody could tell me how (and if it's even possible) to transfer the music from my iPod back to my computer.

Any help would be much appreciated! :D

2. Dorvaan

Dorvaan Well-Known Member

Using iTunes, do a sync of your iPod to your music library. That SHOULD put them all on your PC again. Might take some time, though depending on how many you have.

3. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

if you still have trouble, try googling "yamipod."

4. Thrillhouse17

Thrillhouse17 Well-Known Member

I don't think that itunes will let you do that. It's a security feature that 'prevents' people from stealing music from various sources.

5. gborn

gborn Well-Known Member

You might be screwed. :cry: I believe you can only transfer from iTunes to your iPod. Since you lost everything on iTunes, you will lose everything off your iPod if you select to 'update' iPod. :doh:

6. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I too believe you will lose everything if you select 'update' in iTunes. But you may find help at ilounge.com. There they list programs you can download to put your iPod's music back into iTunes. I believe this is true. Try it, if you need a last resort.

7. FRiC

FRiC Well-Known Member

The iPod shuffle always sync from computer to iPod only, automatically. For other iPods, you can sync manually, and you can access the music from iTunes, but you can't copy the music from the iPod back to the computer. yamipod is the right answer...

8. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Sorry cant help much here...I was actually just having a similar discussion with my sis in law this afternoon around this same problem with her iPod. She said there was some solution to this problem, but I was only half listening so I cant very competently relay it to you. This is one of the many reasons I have not bought one yet...still using my 256mb mp3 player...ease of use...I guess I have just not felt willing to take the time for the learning curve of iPod. I am sure that when I do finally break down and buy one though I will wonder to myself "why didn't I do this a long time ago????"

Good luck with your issue. :tu:

9. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

sorry i didn't take the time to write this out before. yes, you will lose everything. this is a pain in the neck with your music, and a huge loss of $$$ if you don't have music you bought from itunes backed up somewhere. download "yamipod." just google it to get a host. this application will allow you to download the contents of your ipod to your computer and upload them back into itunes.

i have had a lot of trouble with my ipods and itunes. i understand the reason behind the security, but given that i like to use several different machines, and have a 30g and a 1g shuffle, i have found more and more that itunes is "keeping me" from music i have legally bought. i'm done. i only buy cds, and upload them.

10. fujo

fujo Well-Known Member