1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction- carddante

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by carddante, Nov 22, 2005.

1. carddante

carddante Well-Known Member

It's been a good week with my lifts. Despite cheating a bit this weekend (wedding reception- had some cake and some beer) I'm still down a solid 2 lbs from this time last week. I'm measuring on a regular bathroom scale and thinking about dropping some coin for a nice digital scale that will measure in increments. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

I had been a little frustrated with my perceived lack of progress until yesterday. I was looking at the videos I posted from March and it was only then that I realized how much my lifts have gone up since then. Back then, I videotaped myself squatting 290x4 as my absolute max- it was the most I'd ever lifted on squat in my life. Then I realized that right now I am squatting 315 x 6 for a max set and I've still got gas in the tank. I've gone up IMMENSELY since March! I'm thinking about having my wife come up to the gym with me tomorrow to videotape a few of my heavy squat sets- I'd like to have them on video to check my form (and for my own recording purposes).

2. carddante

I took some more squat videos tonight to check my form and so I have a record of some of my heaviest lifts. From what I can tell, I am not going down quite far enough when I lower- I never really noticed it, but I could go down another couple of inches to get myself really parallel with the ground.

I have to brag a little- back in February when I took the last set of videos I posted, 290 was the most I could do, and if you go back and watch, I struggled with 4 reps at that weight. These videos I pop off 295 x 6 with little problem and only start to struggle on the 5th rep of 315. That's some mighty good improvement if I do say so myself.

My heaviest squat ever was in July of this year- I put up a one rep at 365. So I'm pretty close to my best ever, though to be honest I'm not really trying to go for PRs here.

I'm going to have to watch them a few more times to check my form out, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm more than willing to hear them.

Aaron Squats 275

3. carddante

Man, work and school have been crazy lately. I'm still getting into the gym, though. I find myself going at odd hours- 7 am on a Saturday, for example, or 10:00 Thursday night last week.

I tweaked my back a little bit doing some heavy deads two weeks ago and so I did everything last week except deadlifts. I'm making some excellent progress on weighted pull-ups and I tried out leg press (didn't want to squat with a sore back) and ended up leg-pressing 630 on my heavy set. Nice!

I'm disappointed in my weight loss so far. I made some adjustments to my diet two weeks ago (fewer carbs and calories) and it actually brought my weight loss to a screeching halt. I'm bumping the carbs and calories back up a bit and I'm going to increase my cardio instead to see what that does. I just hate toiling away on a treadmill or bike every day. Ugh. :(

Shoulders today! Have a good one.

4. carddante

Great progress in my measurements this week. My quads are up a full INCH from a month ago. I attribute that to a lot of heavy squats and hitting the leg press machine after I tweaked my back. Even my calves (notoriously latent) are up a half inch from last month's measurement. All of that and I'm still losing inches (a quarter inch at a time) from my waist and my overall bodyfat is down more than 2% from where I started my cut in September. Great progress all around!

It's funny because I was down on myself lately because my scale weight hasn't changed much. But when I took my measurements yesterday and compared them to where I started I realized that I have made some great progress! I'm doing things right, I'm losing body fat and not muscle. I started at 225 and I've fluctuated between 220 and 225 since I started. Obviously I'm losing body fat but I'm still building some good muscle!

Nothing today because I've got big projects at both work and school that are going to take up my entire day. So I'd better get back to work!

5. carddante

I made some adjustments to my workouts this month. Added hack squats after spending too long trying to decide what to do. I was reviewing Mastover's journal and noticed that he does hack squats religiously. I had never done hack squats before, so Monday I threw them in the mix. I spent some time Monday watching videos of the proper form to use and decided to go light on my first few sets with 135 lbs. Let me tell you, 135 lbs was PLENTY. I really enjoyed the exercise- it's a strange movement and I kept either sitting on the bar (making it heavier) or hitting myself in the back of the leg with it (causing me to lose my balance) but I think with more practice it will come easier. My legs were absolutely destroyed yesterday and today isn't any better.

I'm also adding more cardio to my week...scratch that, I'm actually DOING the cardio that I have planned for myself. It's just so boring that I hate doing it. I'd much rather be lugging heavy weights around than sitting on a bike staring at the TV trying to keep my heart rate up. But my fat loss stalled and I know I need to do it so here I am.

Interestingly, I am losing body fat but gaining weight. I started out at 220 and have fluctuated between 223 and 225 for two weeks now. I would be worried except that I've lost an inch off of my waist and a full 2% of body fat since September. Even on 2000 calories a day (for a guy who is 6' 225 lbs) and I'm building muscle. That's good news!

I started planning out an early 2010 bulk this week. I'm thinking that I will be down around 12-14% body fat by the end of the year and I'd like to pack on some more muscle before I do a spring cut. My end goal is to look my absolute best by my 30th birthday at the end of June. I've planned everything out- 8 week bulk in Jan/Feb, then cut to as low as possible in Mar/Apr/May/Jun. I bought some supps from At Large to get prepped for it. I bought RESULTS and Opticen (LOVE Opticen) and I'm thinking about buying some generic mass gainer powder to mix with the Opticen to get it to last the entire 8 weeks. The plan is to up my calories to about 4000 and see how my body reacts to the increased calories and some tough workouts. I've done a "bulk" before, but I was only getting 2500 calories or so. At the time I thought that was enough to make a difference. I'm learning, the more I read, that I need twice that to really feed myself through a bulking stage.

6. carddante

Last night’s workout started out pretty bad but ended up with a great finish. I started on the leg press machine and bumped things up a bit. My legs were already pretty sore but I didn’t think the changes would make much of a difference. I didn’t realize how tired my legs were until I got to my heavy set. Last week I knocked out 4, this week I could barely do 2. My ribs are sore from last week as well- I think I bruised them doing such heavy weight. I tried to stay away from them this week so hopefully I will be over this soreness by next week’s workout. I finished the night out with the hack squat machine which was incredibly tough and then 4 sets of lunges. I actually quit halfway through and thought about calling it a night. As I walked into the locker room I found I was chewing myself out for quitting. I got to my locker, turned around and went back out. Even though the last two sets were two of the hardest sets I’ve ever done, I finished them. I wanted to puke when I was done and I couldn’t walk right- I was shuffling like an old man! But I finished them, and that was the best sense of accomplishment. Even though I thought I couldn’t do any more, I found the strength to push through the pain and get it done. It was a great feeling.

Weighed in at 226.6 this morning. Yesterday I weighed in at 226 even. That’s a 5 lb gain from Saturday morning. Obviously, I think it is mostly water weight and a couple of good cardio sessions would help me get rid of some of that, but I just can’t seem to get my lazy ass out of bed in the morning to go run. I wake up at 5:00, roll over, consciously hit snooze and go back to sleep. I really need to get my sleep schedule back on track and get my mind right in the mornings so I can get up and do this. Otherwise I feel like I’m just wasting my mornings getting an extra 30 mins of sleep.

7. carddante

Oh Law School, you are a jealous mistress. I only got into the gym ONCE last week, Monday for legs. The rest of the week studying and working on the massive amounts of papers I have due took up every spare minute of time I was not at work. Oof.

But all the time spent on schoolwork last week frees up this week considerably. I hit the gym for a 20 min run this morning and I'm going to head back and lift during my lunch break this afternoon. I took the week off from supplementing, too, so I’m re-loading my creatine this week. What a pain in the ass. I have to set reminders on my phone/computer to go off every three hours to remind me to take a shot of creatine.

I packed on some WEIGHT during my week off. I seriously ballooned up. I ate like crap and I’m sure at least some of it is fat, though I’m betting it’s mostly water weight. We’ll see how much of it sticks around at the end of the week when I do my weight and measurements.

I got my new supplements from At Large last week! Like three days before they announced a 15% off sale. :doh: That’s seriously the second time in three months that I’ve ordered and within a week Chris announced a sale. I’m seriously not going to order anything else until I see a sale, even if it means going without. So dumb. That is $60+ that I’m out simply due to bad timing.

Oh! One last funny thing that happened this week. I was getting in the shower Sat afternoon and was standing there practicing my lat spread. My wife walks in and sees me and asks, “uh…what are you doing?” I laughed and told her I was practicing a lat spread and asked her to look at it. So I do it and she starts LAUGHING and I’m like, “WTF?” She said she wasn’t expecting it, but that all of a sudden, my back got twice as big and spread out like a pair of giant wings. I said, “so it looked good?” She said, “yes, it was impressive how big it got.” :D Lat spread FTW!

8. carddante

AWESOME workout last night. I hit it hard and fast and ended up leg pressing 630 ten times! Before this, the best I’d done was 4 times! It was impressive, I just had more and more in the tank and I just kept pushing and pushing. I felt it later on when I tried to do my lunges, though. I wanted to die, they hurt so bad. I finally quit after the third set. Better than last week, but still not as good as my first week. Changing things to a bulk has REALLY made a difference in my body. It’s only been a week and I’ve already packed on 5 lbs. I weighed in at 233 this morning. I’m sure after 6 more weeks of this regimen and I’ll be begging for a cut just to ease the wear and tear on my body. Also, I’m feeling BIG. I need to wear some of my “fat” clothes right now. I’m not “fat” like I have been in the past, but I’m certainly bigger than I have been in quite a while. Everything is tight on me right now. Belts, shirts, even my watch.

Trying to get 4000 calories in a day is tough. Trying to get 4000 calories of healthy foods is RIDICULOUSLY tough. I’m stuffed after every meal, but it appears to be working.

9. carddante

It has been almost a month since I started my bulk and I must say, I am impressed by my progress. I have added almost an inch and a half to my arms (17.25" unofficially) and feel stronger and more solid than I have in a LONG time. I’ve packed on 16 lbs from Nov. 5th and I expect to add a few more lbs before my bulk is done in 5 weeks. Frankly, I’d like to get 18 inch arms before I finish. That would be absolutely phenomenal. Even with a 6 month cut ahead of me, 18 inch arms would probably only cut down to around 16 ½-17 inches, which would be awesome when I get down to a 32 inch waist. I showed Cass my arms last night and she was visibly impressed. That was a nice feeling. :nod:

I will say, I don’t like being almost 240 lbs. I feel HEAVY. I haven’t taken any official measurements, but I can tell my waist has gone up at least an inch, my arms, shoulders and chest have gone up as have my hips. I can't wear any of my suit jackets right now and I can barely fit my hips into some of my pants any more, both jeans and athletic pants. It is WEIRD! My body has responded really well to this bulk and I am really glad I decided to do it now. It helps that I’m worried less about counting calories around the holidays. I didn’t hesitate to have that extra slice of pie at Thanksgiving last week. But I am still CONSTANTLY hungry. I am not stuffed all the time any more after eating, which is nice and makes it easier to eat a ton, but it also means that I want to eat anything and everything, which is not good. I’ve had a few donuts at the office this week. Oops.

The crazy part is, I’ve got 5 more weeks of bulking. I really wonder how big I can get by the time this is done. The last 4 weeks have added 16 lbs to me. If I gain another 16 lbs, I will be above 250 for the first time in my entire life. As long as I continue to ADD MUSCLE and not too much fat, I will be okay. I don’t want to let my waist get above 40 inches. It may get up to 40, but any higher and I may have to cut back. We’ll see.