1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Insanity and my 16 y.o. son...

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by cj gal, Jan 20, 2011.

1. cj gal

cj gal Well-Known Member

My 16 year old son wants to get the Insanity program... My question is: he has had some minor issues with his knee and his back in the recent past. I just went to the Beachbody site and watched the preview of the program, and I am concerned that it's too high-impact for his situation. I don't want him ruining his knees at this young age...

I think he should should just use his weight set and pull-up bar, etc. He is in pretty good shape overall, and is pretty lean (in other words, he doesn't need to lose fat).

He has stated in all his 16 years of wisdom that this program will strengthen his knees. LOL

Advice, anyone?

2. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

If a teenager has legitimate problems with his knees, I would recommend that you consult a physician before allowing him to take part in any strenuous activity. I'm no doctor, but I can't imagine that high impact exercise would improve a damaged knee. I would think it would hurt more than help.

3. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

Consult a physio if it's an ongoing knee problem, and they'll prescribe some exercises to get it back on track.

Why wouldn't the program strengthen his knee? I had knee problems a few years ago, got them straightened out, and now I can do long distance running and heavy squats without issues. My knees are stronger than ever.

4. cj gal

cj gal Well-Known Member

I believe doing heavy squats would be far better for his knees than some of the moves I saw on Insanity... That is the point I am trying to make with him.

I do appreciate both of your comments.

5. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Depends on what is wrong with it. If there is a cartilage issue, repetitive movement could wear away at it and make it worse. I agree completely that a physician should be consulted.

Not sure that squats would be any better. All depends on what is wrong with it. You don't want to let a 16 year old, or anyone not in the medical or PT field for that matter, misdiagnose and let him exacerbate the problem.