1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Injury

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Clazius, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Clazius

Clazius Well-Known Member

Didn't take long... I've only been working out for a few weeks and I get hurt lifting. Somehow I hurt my back while doing standing hammer curls (and yes I warmed up and stretched before hand) Did some searching and found this http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/LatissimusDorsi.html which seems too be where the pain is coming from.. Has this happen to anyone else or has anyone even heard of hurting ones self this way doing hammer curls? The pain is nothing I can't handle, especially when my back is relaxed.. I can still feel it, but I wouldn't call it pain. When the muscle flexes for whatever reason it hurts and I'm kinda worried it will be that way for a while. How long should I expect it too take to recover? Should I visit a doctor? And lastly ARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!#@!$

2. Mahdimael

Mahdimael Well-Known Member

You should absolutely see a doctor- they can tell you exactly what's wrong. When I hurt my back, I wasn't sure what I did- I thought I had slipped a disc, maybe. But go to the doctor, or the healing will take a long time. At worst, you could injure it even more and have serious problems.

3. Clazius

Clazius Well-Known Member

4. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

Was it me.. and I have had a few minor back injuries... I would see a reputable chiropractor before a medical doctor. Most Doctors will give you drugs and tell you to lay off and come back in a couple of weeks. My chiro also does sports therapy so he will treat the root of the problem and try to get you back doing what you do as soon as you can. With weigh lifting, he will also make sure that you are doing things correctly.
    Funny how it works, but many times, back injuries are not the direct result of what you may have been doing at the time, but are the result of cumulative strains.. like bending over wrong to pick up the dumbells/barbell. (bending over at all is a bad idea for this, but I used to see it every day at the gym.. even with experienced guys..)

5. Derwinator

Derwinator Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too...

Looks like I'm in good company...I managed to strain my upper back really good last Monday. First time in the 1.5 years I've been lifting weights. My upper traps through the sides of my neck have been really stiff and sore and I have some nasty knots under my shoulder blades.

I had gone through my normal workout, but this time I added dips (no extra weight) for the first time in a few weeks. I've never been very good at dips and have frequently felt some pain in my upper traps when performing them. But during this workout I felt no pain whatsoever. Went to bed that night and when I woke up the next day, WHAMMO super stiff upper back/neck and lots of pain! ARGH!!!

I've been getting a little better each day since and slowly regaining my flexibility (using heat pad/Icy Hot plus massage seems to help). I managed to continue my workouts during the week of cardio and arms, but stayed away from upper back and chest. It's going to be a setback in my progress, but I plan to make sure I'm fully healed before I start upper back workouts again. The only problem is that I think I'm probably never going to do dips again! Any suggestions on alternative upper back workouts?

Darren

6. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

Bent-over Row

Lying Row

DB Shrugs

Deadlifts

7. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Dead lifts are strictly low back exercise. If you are using them for upper back, then you are doing the exercise wrong and will injure yourself.