1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Increased appetite when lifting?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Direlect, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Direlect

Direlect Well-Known Member

Hey JSFF,

Just a quick question: When lifting weights I get a much bigger appetite during the day and can eat a lot more calories than I usually do. This is a good thing because I'm trying to gain weight. However, my question is whether or not I'm hungrier because I'm burning calories in the gym doing the lifting exercises or because my muscles are craving more calories. For example, if I burned just as many calories doing cardio as I do weightlifting, but one day do the cardio..will I eat just as much as I would if that were a lifting day?

If I ate according to how hungry I was, and the hunger is a function of my muscle's caloric needs and not my general caloric expenditure, it would be much easier to gain muscle.

Thanks

2. SpiderKing

SpiderKing Well-Known Member

Erm...I think it has to do with the muscle's repairing themselves. That's why it's good to take protein after lifting, so they can rebuild.

I don't remember ever being particularly hungry after running 4-5 miles. But 80 minutes hitting the weights and yea, I'm usually hungry again.

3. Rymanes

Rymanes Well-Known Member

It might have more to do with the intensity of weight lifting. Usually your heart rate spikes pretty high and calms pretty low in a weight lifting routine---which, like HITT, is supposed to increase your metabolism afterward. Thoughts?

4. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I can't imagine a hunger produced by weights. You are eating 5-6 meals a day? How many calories are you taking in?

Dieting is often a mental exercise. I assume you are cutting.

5. SpiderKing

I thought it was common for heavy lifting to up your appetite? When I'm through at the gym lately, I need to eat something...asap. And anyone I've mentioned this to didn't pay any attention, or simply gave me a "duh."

When I run, I shower and go to sleep. When I lift, I need to eat something...

6. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Is your diet running at a deficit now? How much food satisfies you? I have never heard of this before and I don't do that much cardio to compare. Direlect said he had a bigger appetite throughout the day?? Someone else will have to speak to this.:confused:

7. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Weightlifting is known to increase your appetite a lot. It allows you to burn more calories at rest, just as HIIT does, and for some people, makes them ravenously hungry.(Like me for example).

8. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Based on that every new lb of muscle requires an average of 37.5 calories a day to maintain, where a lb of fat only needs 2 calories a day to maintain. But all JSF members should be eating enough calories ro maintain our cells.

A lb of fat contains about a total of 3500 calories. A lb of muscle contains only 583 calories. Weights build muscle, cardio builds very little. It doesn't take many calories to build the muscle. I keep trying to think why would weight training make you more hungery, never has me. But I might not have ever worked out as hard as y'all. Maybe Jeremy can help.:confused:

9. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

It makes sense if you think about it:

You are burning more calories than your body would at homeostasis. You are causing trauma to your muscles, which needs calories(protein and carbs) to repair. Your brain sees this, or your hormones see this, and you get that hungry feeling.

Personally I get hungry every day I lift or do sprints.

10. SpiderKing

I just recently started a diet...eating as much as I can and as clean as I can, eliminating the junk and incorporating more protein. And I can tell you the only time throughout the week I've been STARVING is about 2 hours after lifting.

I thought this was common knowledge? People I spoke to made it sound that way. :confused: I wouldn't know the specifics but it definitely holds true for myself.

11. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

Heavy squats and heavy deads always increases my appetite.

And it is a very good sign if you are trying to gain- your routine is working.:tu:

12. AnonIMust

AnonIMust Well-Known Member

Anecdotally, I can not disagree more.

I am significantly more hungry on the afternoon of and day following lifting, all other things being equal.

Could it be entirely mental? I suppose.