1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

In The Blink Of An Eye: John Stone's Photography Journal

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Gskarr

Gskarr Active Member

loved the landscape pictures

nice work

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Black lycosidae. I.e., wolf spider... a cousin to the tarantula. I know that creepy feeling. When we go mudding, I ride through at least a few hundred webs per trip. Ya get used to it. They don't eat much.

Spiders are among my favorite subjects. We get black widows (do NOT tell the wife that!) and tropical orb weavers on our back porch, they spin the largest webs in the world - up to 25-ft. I've got some great shots of them putting up - and taking down - their webs. Have to dig 'em up. Neat stuff.

-R

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Actually it's a trapdoor spider (Ctenizidae).

4. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

Uh oh, are we about to have a Spider-Off!?!?!? :nod:

:lol:

5. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

Great shot of you and Lisa's mom. Everything looks so....something. I'm not sure what the word is, but it's a great one. Something about how smooth and portrait-like everything looks. It must just be one of the benefits of a prime lens.

Good glass does get real expensive real fast. Buying used does seem to save money, but as I'm sure you might have noticed by now, good glass seems to hold way more of its value than a camera body or other accessories would. But like you said, if it's well cared for, why not? It seems that glass is almost like an investment.

Personally I've got a EF 70-200mm f/4L (non-IS) arriving tomorrow and I can't wait :D (from B&H Photo, which seems to be one of the go-to places for camera stuff, almost like the newegg of photography gear). All I've had up to now is the kit lens on my Digital Rebel XTi, and while composing good shots is one thing, actually getting a decent looking shot out of this lens, technical-quality-wise, is another story entirely. :blank:

Oh, and I always love how vibrant the colors look in all your photos! (I read a while back about your post processing. Very simple and goes a long way).

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ectomorphic, you've bought yourself a fine piece of glass. Enjoy it. :tucool:

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thank you very much! I'm pretty happy with how that one turned out myself.

Wow, nice! I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the lens and see some of your images! :tucool:

Thanks. Yeah, I like saturated colors and lots of contrast, but in that past I've gone a little too far in that direction. I'm trying to dial that back these days. I'm still partial to strong, high contrast B&W images.

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Lisa and I are celebrating 17 years of marriage tomorrow, and for this weekend anything goes (ahem... strictly speaking about food here).

We just kicked off our celebration with some fresh pico de gallo and warm corn tortilla chips. The pico was made from tomatoes and jalapenos straight out of our garden.

Canon EOS 60D with a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF lens.

pico_IMG_2475-Edit.jpg

Note the awesome new dinnerware, which was an anniversary gift from my side of the family (Mikasa Antique White 45-Piece Dinnerware Set, Service for 8)!

Later tonight I'm making steak and dill, garlic and butter potatoes. :)

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Happy anniversary John!

11. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks, Paul! :)

12. Ectomorphic

Thanks, I'm really happy with it. :spaz: Next on my list is its perfect complement, the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L. But that's going to be a while.

Well I'm still a complete noob, despite how long it's been since I've had this camera. I haven't put any real time into practicing composing and taking amazing shots yet, though I'm familiar with the how-to.

The lens is definitely big and heavy compared to the 18-55mm kit lens, but it's worth it, and not a complaint! We have to note my absence of experience with other lenses though, because it's said that this lens is 86% lighter than the 70-200mm f/2.8L :eek:. Apparently, some people who have both versions seem to often take the f/4L version out with them instead on long sessions because of how bulky and heavy the f/2.8 version is.

Since this is your journal, I don't want to clutter it up with my own pictures, but I'll put one here that I thought was neat. I haven't had the time to go anywhere interesting yet, so I just ran out back yesterday and took some random pictures. This was one of my favorites (and one of the only ones that actually looks like it's more than just a point-n-shoot :p).

The first one is the full picture, and the second is a 100% crop of that picture (sorry it's a tad wider than the standard, but I couldn't help it). I definitely can't get a shot like this with the kit lens. Setting aside that this particular shot is 118mm, despite the kit's max of 55mm, and setting aside that it may be possible, but I'm just a noob. :p

Oh and Happy Anniversary! It's really nice to see how much in love you guys still are, even after 22 years together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Lisa parents came over to celebrate our 17th anniversary with us. We had a lot of fun, as we always do together. I'm so lucky to have such amazing in-laws. :dreamy:

My wonderful father-in-law, Don, no doubt laughing at something incredibly witty that I just said. :thanks:
    don and bernie_IMG_2543-Edit-Edit.jpg

Lisa's parent bought us this awesome patio set as an anniversary gift! :spaz:
    don and bernie_IMG_2537-Edit.jpg

A shot from back by the pond's waterfall.
    don and bernie_IMG_2516-Edit.jpg

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

:tucool:

That's a huge difference!

Real nice shot! Please don't worry about posting pictures here, I certainly don't mind. That said, if you start your own photography journal I'll definitely subscribe. Looking forward to seeing more. Enjoy!

Thank you very much. Our relationship is not perfect, but I don't think anyone's is. We definitely are still very much in love, and that gets us over life's many humps. :)

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Jeremiah the very shy and elusive Southern Leopard Frog makes a rare appearance!
    toads_IMG_2565-Edit.jpg

There are currently (visually verified) at least 12 southern toads, 1 southern leopard frog, 2 Cuban tree frogs, hundreds of tadpoles and dozens of baby toads and baby tree frogs in and around our pond tonight. Can you spot the creatures that are visible in this one shot?
    toads_IMG_2571.jpg
    HINT: In this photo there are 3 Southern Toads, 2 baby tree frogs, 1 beetle and 1 damselfly exoskeleton.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ecto, I own the 24-70 2.8L and it's my usual walk around lens. As I think I mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread I also own the 2.8L IS version of the 70-200 and while a great zoom, it is indeed a beast. Good thing I go to the gym. :)

John, that's a very nice anniversary present from your in-laws. :nod: Enjoy!

17. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

From this morning's bike ride.

A beautiful Fox Squirrel. After a few minutes he started hissing at me, probably thinking "I WAS HERE FIRST!"
    bike ride_IMG_2590-Edit.jpg

One of my favorite Live Oaks.
    bike ride_IMG_2607-Edit.jpg

A pair of Sandhill Cranes.
    bike ride_IMG_2617-Edit.jpg

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Long daytime exposure of the pond's waterfall. I did not use a filter for this shot. I accomplished this photo by using a very low ISO (100), an extremely narrow aperture (f/40) and a 25 second shutter speed.

don and bernie_IMG_2553-Edit.jpg

19. Ectomorphic

That table looks really nice. What brand and style patio set is that? We don't sell anything close to that nice where I work.

I'm itching to get the 24-70! I hope to be able to get it before we go on vacation in September. It'd be really nice to be able to go between the 24-70 and 70-200 while we're out and not be limited to the just the 70-200.

Beautiful. Waterful shots are always a winner. :) If you were looking for something to frame or use a postcard, that's it right there.

Now the next trick is to do the opposite - freeze the action!

...although honestly, I do prefer the slowed-down ones like yours.

20. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

The table, 2 swivel chairs and 4 dining chairs are all from the Garden Treasures' "Beach View"collection available at Lowes. The real stone table top is quite nice.

The 8'2" x 6'6 Rectangular Patio Umbrella is from Herrington's "Garden Treasures" collection, also available from Lowes.