1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

In The Blink Of An Eye: John Stone's Photography Journal

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Apr 19, 2011.

1. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

2. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

Thanks! Will do. :)

3. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

4. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

5. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Ha! Loved the wife shot. Looks like she was telling you "John, you better not take a picture of me!". My wife is always getting upset when I take candid photos of her, particularly before she has a chance to fix herself up.

6. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

I don't think I've ever gotten a candid photo of my wife without her hand covering her face.

7. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

I don't think the photo was the problem in this case (which is surprising because Lisa's seen firsthand just how unforgiving those fast prime lenses are!)

Lisa and I have been together for more than 22 years and married for almost 17 years, and she's always waving her finger at me for one thing or another, so I tend to lose track of the specific reasons.

8. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Or you just get mesmerized by those eyes. :dreamy:

9. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

You said it. I love Lisa's eyes, they are amazing... and I think what I like best about this photo is that it really captured what I am fortunate enough to see every day. :)

10. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

OK, I had to balance that last shot with another one of Lisa smiling. Here she is holding our very first harvested tomato from our tomato plants.

don-bernie-and-toads_IMG_1776-Edit-Edit.jpg

Canon EOS 60D with Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens.

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Both are really nice shots of Lisa. I chuckled at the first one as I've often been on the receiving end of similar looks. :lol:

12. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam...

13. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

If you are married, you have been on the receiving end of that look. Hopefully the occurences of the second pic outnumber the first. For all of us. :lol:

Great pics John, and Chop beat me to it. Lisa's eyes remind me of my daughter's. It isn't just the blue. The pattern almost looks like there are flowers in her eyes.

14. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

That's the truth. I've got a buddy who likes to tell people they have marriage problems. If you ask him how he knows, then he says, "I know you have marriage problems, because you are married."

Rimshot, please...
    :spaz:

15. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

16. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

:dreamy:

17. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

Great photos all around John, I'm really enjoying this thread. How's work on the new site coming?

Did you realize you are right at the halfway point? Meaning roughly (because I don't know your exact wedding date) you have been living your healthy lifestyle for exactly half of the time you've been married. I bet the unhealthy half feels like a distant memory from a loooooonnnnngg time ago and in your mind it probably just seems that you've been the healthy John for far longer? Funny how time works. :nod:

18. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

We're finally seeing some action around the feeder. We've seen tufted titmouse, blue jays and cardinals. This is a female cardinal. Unfortunately it's hard to get close to the birds, so I had to full zoom to 250mm to get this shot.

birds_IMG_2023.jpg

The Sigma 18-250 is a good "all in one" walk-around lens IMO, but wide open (f/6.3) @ 250mm the images show a distinct lack of sharpness and there's also a significant amount of chromatic aberration. Still, I wouldn't have been able to get this shot at all without that kind of zoom. Fast zoom lenses get real expensive real quick (the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is like 2.5k).

Canon EOS 60D with a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF lens.

19. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

More work than I expected! Slowly but surely. :)

I don't know about that. In fact, I'd probably say the reverse is true. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I have so many fond memories of my early life with Lisa. I wasn't fat or (terribly) out of shape when we met, that happened later in our relationship.

20. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

Contrasted to the 250mm f/6.4 image I just posted, I think the Sigma 18-250mm lens does quite well for close-up work. Sure, a 100mm prime macro lens would probably be even better, but I think the Sigma produces pretty pleasing macro images.

The next four images were shot using a Canon EOS 60D with a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF lens.

Here's an agreeable little brown Anole lizard that let me take plenty of very close pictures of him. I photographed him for about 10 minutes, often at distances of less than 10 inches.

Interesting note: the dark opening just above and to the left of the lizard (between the wet and dry rocks) is where Mr. Hemingway lives. <3
    lizard_IMG_2054-Edit.jpg

I'm really irritated with myself because I slightly blew the manual focus here. It could have been a much nicer shot.
    lizard_IMG_2071-Edit.jpg

I love this photo, and I nailed the manual focus dead-on this time. :)
    lizard_IMG_2070-Edit.jpg

Another shot I'm pleased with.
    lizard_IMG_2078-Edit.jpg