1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

In The Blink Of An Eye: John Stone's Photography Journal

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by John Stone, Apr 19, 2011.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Just in time for May, our pond's very first lily bloom--ever! :spaz:

This is a Nymphaea Sulphurea water lily. We also have some Attraction, Alba and Sioux lilies in the pond, which should be blooming soon.

First-lily-bloom_IMG_1311-Edit.jpg
    Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF lens. 1/1000 sec @ f/6.3, ISO 100, 250mm.

2. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

3. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

That's our Netflix queue on Lisa's screen. Judging from the look on her face there's a new Twilight movie out or something. :(

random-shots_IMG_1348-Edit-Edit.jpg
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. 1/60 sec @ f/1.8, ISO 400, 50mm.

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

5. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Nice shooting.

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thank you.

7. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

John, you should seriously consider publishing a book of your nature photos. These look beyond most that I've ever seen. Truly breathtaking. Your pics look professional and your eye for good photos is remarkable. Keep it up man. Checking this thread, along with my journal, has become part of my daily AM ritual.

8. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

John: I just got back home and got a chance to catch up on your photos. They are looking great. The one shot of the toad on the lilly pad, you said you took without a flash. There appeared to be a secondary light source. Was this a light you have in your pond? Just curious. I really liked the shot.

I've found flash shots are great for freezing action, particularly on indoor shots. The shot of the dog and the popcorn is priceless. Being a dog owner, I love the shots that show the personality of the animal.

Here's a quick tip that you may or may not know regarding shooting flash photos. Set your camera up for rear sync (or 2nd curtain for Canon). Rather than me trying to explain it, here's a link that does a better job:

http://www.thedphoto.com/photography-techniques/2nd-curtain-sync-mode/

I think it should be a default setting on the Canon, but it isn't. If you're not using it, give it a try and see what you think.

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Photographs from this morning's 19 mile mountain bike ride in Wekiwa Forest.

All images were shot using the Canon EOS 60D with a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF lens.

Wekiwa Springs. This is a natural swimming area fed by the crystal-clear Wekiwa river. The water temperature is a constant 72 F year-round.
    Wekiwa_IMG_1491-Edit.jpg

The squirrels are everywhere, and very tame.
    Wekiwa_IMG_1484-Edit.jpg

MY NUT!
    Wekiwa_IMG_1497-Edit.jpg

Peek-a-boo!
    Wekiwa_IMG_1499-Edit.jpg

Beautiful Prevatt lake. There were literally hundreds, if not thousands, of baby southern toads all around the lake shore. There were also alligator tracks, but I didn't see any gators.
    Wekiwa_IMG_1623-Edit.jpg

Of all the creatures I saw today, this Tortoise was the most elusive. He just did not want his picture taken.
    Wekiwa_IMG_1512-Edit.jpg

I think this fallen live oak looks cool, but what I find especially interesting are the slats that formed at the base of the trunk when the tree fell.
    Wekiwa_IMG_1551-Edit.jpg

This wild turkey strutted around flaring his feathers like he owned the forest.
    Wekiwa_IMG_1608-Edit.jpg

Taking a breather by a massive sink hole.
    Wekiwa_IMG_1571-Edit.jpg

I think this deer is pregnant. She came towards me stomping her paw, but stopped short of letting me touch her. She was with a group of 3 other deer, but the others left when they saw me stop my bike.
    Wekiwa_IMG_1579-Edit.jpg

We startled one another. I had dismounted my bike and left it back by the main trail. I was quietly walking towards a lake when she suddenly appeared from the woods to my left. Thankfully I had my camera ready and took this picture before she ran off. I love the coolness of the foliage and the soft feel of the photo.
    Wekiwa_IMG_1615-Edit.jpg

This is one of my favorite photos of the day. This deer was very interested in me, and she came quite close. When I got back home and looked at this picture I thought it had a very winter-ish vibe to it. Once I desaturated the photo it almost looked like it had been taken in the dead of winter up north somewhere.
    Wekiwa_IMG_1527-Edit.jpg

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Wow, thank you for the high praise. While I'm slowly improving, I've got a long way to go before I'm anywhere close to book-worthy. :) Some of the stuff I've seen on Flickr makes me want to throw my camera away. :o

Today I got some excellent practice in, but my inexperience showed. With so many different kinds of light conditions (I refuse to use any setting on my camera other than "manual") I found myself botching shots because I misjudged the light requirements.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm honored and sincerly flattered that you're enjoying my photography.

Good eye. That was the LED light on my smartphone. :)

Awesome, I'll read that tonight. Thanks very much for the tips, Doug! :)

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Great shots John. I went on a short bicycle ride today and believe me there was nothing that was close to what you experienced. Thanks for sharing.

The second curtain that MD wrote about can be accessed through the menu of your camera and, if you have a seperate flash unit, through that depending upon the model. With my equipment I find it much quicker and simpler to change the default setting via the flash.

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

As a proud lover of nature and animals, I feel incredibly fortunate to have such a magnificent place to bike and hike so close to where I live. Wekiwa forest is a scant few miles from my home (as the crow flies), however the official entrance is only reachable to me by car. I did find a way to get into the forest by bike (it's just 4 miles or so for me) but I have to jump a fence to get in. :whistle: I purchased an annual pass, so I don't feel bad about jumping the gate, which is my usual method of entry.

I posted some less than stellar shots because I wanted to show all the cool stuff I saw. I'm not real proud of the turkey shot or the tortoise photo. One or two others are just sort of "not bad", but the rest I'm pretty fond of.

As I mentioned above, as an inexperienced photographer today was a real trial by fire for me. While in the forest the lighting would change from bright to fairly dark in the space of just a few feet. Sometimes the photo would call for a very narrow aperture, and sometime I'd need to be wide open. Sometimes the subject would be far off, and sometimes I'd be right on top of what I was shooting. Factor in the speed with which the subject I was attempting to photograph would move away or just into different light, and it's amazing that I came away with any quality shots at all.

Don't mistake the above as frustration. Nothing could be further from the truth. I had a blast, and I learned a lot.

:tucool:

13. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

I loved the shot of the lake John. I'm a big fan of landscape shots showing deep contrasts in color. You captured that perfectly there.

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks, Doug. :)

I read the article about flash settings, and I'm going to start experimenting this week. Thanks again for the good info!

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

16. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

There are at least 10 male Southern Toads in the pond singing right now. The only female that I'm aware of is Mr. Hemingway, and she has retreated to the the patio. She looks very nervous.

All images were shot using the Canon EOS 60D with a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF lens.

This guy actually crawled onto my bare foot (just out of frame) about 2 seconds after I shot this picture. He sat on my foot singing for a couple of minutes.
    toads_IMG_1880-Edit.jpg

Three males vying for position on a rock. I don't know who they are trying to impress, it's a sausage-fest in the pond right now.
    toads_IMG_1881-Edit.jpg

Southern Toads are quite loud when they sing. This one is the loudest.
    toads_IMG_1872-Edit.jpg

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Mr. Hemingway is going to be in high demand. Ten to one. Yikes!

18. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

A few pictures from this morning's 31 mile (all off-road) mountain biking adventure.

This looks peaceful, but every time I stopped for a photograph or to rest I was instantly swarmed by countless mosquitoes. I also ate about 100 spider webs over the course of the 31 mile ride. There were a few other surprises, too (read on)...
    Wekiwa_IMG_1892.jpg

There were actually 4 deer in this group, but these two let me get pretty close. Even when I crossed their line of comfort, they just walked off slowly.
    Wekiwa_IMG_1912.jpg

I rather like how this one came out.
    Wekiwa_IMG_1895.jpg

Anyone who wonders why many mountain bikers (myself included) shave off most of their body hair, here's one good reason: I just pulled 5 deer ticks off me. Good luck seeing those hidden below a tangle of hair.
    deer-ticks.jpg

I guess I'm going to have to break out the industrial strength DEET from now on because I'm covered in spider, mosquito and tick bites right now. :(

19. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Well, someone got busy last night: there are thousands of new toad eggs in the pond. :)

20. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Giggity. :) (Family Guy reference in case you don't watch)

Great pics John. Keep them coming. :tu: