1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Important - Please Read! Major Changes Coming!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by John Stone, May 2, 2008.

1. Mitek

Mitek Active Member

The addition of blogs is nice. I might finally start a journal here on JSF. It is not relevant for me, but those who have a journal already will probably be interested in some sort of data migration plan.

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Well, threads are not blogs, so there really won't be any data migration. People can abandon their journals if they want and link to their new blog, they can stay with the traditional thread-based journal, or they can keep a blog and a journal if they want. :)

I mean, it's not like I have any means to convert an existing linear thread into a blog. :nod:

3. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm sure you're already aware of this but there were some pretty important software updates today (OpenSSL) that you might want to implement before going live. :)

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

God, I know... I wound up spending half the day working on actual real work instead of my pet project. :mad:

:lol:

5. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah, that little patch caused me so many headaches today. Had to generate new keys for every single server. My favorite was when OpenVPN failed to start because it detected vulnerable keys. :blank: :rolleyes:

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

There are about 600 people on the forums right now (plus a few hundered viewing the main site) and the web server's load average is 0.09. :eek:

With the old web server it would have been between at least 4, and probably closer to 10.

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree, browsing the forum is much more enjoyable now.

The server load is still so low that I keep checking to make sure it's actually serving pages. :lol:

8. Mitek

Mitek Active Member

I could think of hacking up some script that would convert the owner's posts into, well, posts, and other people's posts into comments to the corresponding posts, and let people use this script to convert their journals, but that's up to you. Anyway, very smooth migration, and great blogging feature, congrats!

9. DFS

DFS Well-Known Member

John, definitely faster. I love it! Nice work man!

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I think it would be extremely difficult to create something automated that would handle stuff like multi-quoting cleanly. It could turn what was once a very readable thread into a real mosh.

Anyway, yeah... I think I'm cool with just moving forward with blogs as a new feature, and not trying to turn a cat into a dog. ;)

Thanks!! :)

11. Cinic

Cinic Well-Known Member

I love how that in less than two weeks you've taken a huge project and made it happen. When I read the first post in this thread and your update on that day, I assumed this would take at least a month...if not longer.

Great job John!

12. donj02

donj02 Well-Known Member

John, were you aware that the site was having issues this morning around 7am CST?? Several PHP errors on the main page. Just thought I'd let you know in case you missed it. Glad to hear the hardware/software updates overall went well though. :tucool:

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks! :)

Yes, that error was caused by me. :o

I fixed it, it won't be a problem again. :)

14. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

I've noticed the speed change too. :)

I work for yahoo and spend my days in their latest and most cutting edge datacenter, but I'm a technician and work mostly with hardware and basic immaging/cloning problems. What is the most efficacious way to learn how to use the this hardware as it relates to network traffic and how the network infrastructure handles the requests?

I'm impressed with how smoothly your site runs John, great job!

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you are after. :o

Hardware without software is useless, so I assume you are asking how to configure things on the software side to best take advantage of the hardware? It's a pretty open-ended question. What specific task(s) are you interested in learning about?

Thanks! :)

16. troyounces

troyounces Active Member

Just an idea

Hi John, great site!

Just wondering if you've given any thought to using Solaris 10. It will run on your hardware and there are a lot of really nice features like ZFS - which kicks ass - and DTrace. It will run all your software and it is free as well. You could also look at FreeBSD as well, which if a also a very good and stable OS