1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm new! "before" pics, and a couple questions for runners

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by JamieK, May 30, 2007.

1. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

Signed up for the NJ Marathon - 5/4/08. It's finally time to start "real" running with track workouts and tempo runs. I'm going to edit this post every day for 3 months to track mileage and gym workouts. If you're training for a marathon and want to compare workout plans, I love talking about running, so hit me up.

1/11 3.6 miles @ 8:34 pace
    1/12 3.6 miles @ 8:34 pace, football game
    1/13 5.25 miles @ 8:34 pace, pull ups, chin ups, soccer game

GOALS:
    1/2 marathon on 2/10/08 - 1:45
    1/2 marathon on 4/6/08 - 1:34
    marathon on 5/4/08 - 3:09

#61 JamieK, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  2. KittyKat

KittyKat Active Member

:eek: a marathon - powerful! have you every had problems with your knees with so much running?

why don't you start a journal rather than "hiding" in the women's section? I'm sure lots of people would be interested to read about your preparations and workouts! :tu:

3. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Which half marathons are you running? If you are interested in traveling I'll be running the half in Wilmington DE on March 9th, a 10 miler in the Ocean Drive Marathon at the South Jersey shore on March 30, the 20K in the Penn Relays in Philly on April 20, the Broad Street 10 miler in Philly on May 4th (a great race with over 15,000 runners), and the Delaware Marathon on May 18th.

I'm targeting 1.45 for the half in March and 4.00 for the full in May.

4. rockenmama

rockenmama Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie, I too am a runner. Those are some really nice goals!!! I'm running NJ but not any where near as fast as your planning. Question though why track work for the half and marathon?? I know your looking for speed, but getting LOTS of miles will help with that. Speaking of milage what is your weekly milage looking like?? I see your trying to keep strength training along with your running. I workout 4-5 times a week and am currently running around 60 give or take miles a week. I do eat tons and alot of carbs however I really really try to make sure I keep my protein intake up. So far things are going pretty well. I've even managed to gain 8.4 points since Nov 27th and not alot of it is fat (at least I hope not lol). Anyway hope you're having a great day!

Pam

5. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

kitty - i've actually never had knee problems. i am VERY lucky b/c i played soccer my whole life and skied and snowboarded a lot, so i was asking for a knee injury. i'm not intentionally hiding in this section..just when i was a newbie, i wasn't sure how it all worked...

hey phillydude, thanks but i already planned to run a couple halfs and a marathon in other places, but maybe over the summer i'll catch up with you for one. if you are targeting 1:45 in the half, you could probably set a better goal for the marathon - maybe around 3:45-3:50??

Pam - your mileage is impressive! i'm hovering around 30/wk for now. i get injured if i keep my mileage up too high for too long. i think my days of running 70 miles/wk for a month at a time are long gone. track workouts are great if you focus on mile repeats and longer interval training - or tempo runs where you hold a slightly uncomfortable pace for anywhere from 2 miles to 10 at a time. i find that it's helps me a lot to get mentally tougher and speedwork improves your running form.

6. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

long overdue progress pic. i'm not sure i'm making any progress, but i guess in the winter, just maintaining is ok. sigh.

Attached Files:

7. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

Digital cameras are fairly cheap, and you could leave one in one spot to take a new picture of you in the same pose every couple weeks. Then you will clearly see any changes!

You're looking very fit, though.

8. Croz

Croz Active Member

Jamie, I hate to say it, but as the father of a 17-year old, I can't help myself...

"Clean Up Your ROOM!" :lol::lol::lol:

There, I got that out of the way. Looks like good progress in your abs and arms from the last pic I saw.

9. mattback

mattback Active Member

i heart kitty cat in background

10. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

That's extremely fast. Have you ever ran any ultras?

11. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

thanks, i think it's a decent goal, and will be very hard. i haven't run any ultras...maybe someday down the road i will. just a few marathons, PR is 3:21. how about you? you are young for a marathoner!!! that's great.

12. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I'm only ran the one marathon last May. I've contemplated trying some ultras this year, but because I'm still playing high school basketball, I'm just not sure. I'll definitely try a bunch of them once I'm done with high school. Some of the tougher 100s out west, such as Hardrock, Western States, and Bighorn all peak my interest.

You have the potential to be really good at the ultra distance races with a marathon time that fast. Ultras are great because they're all primarily trail runs through mountainous, rugged, terrain.

This helped sell me.
    Pictures

13. rockenmama

How's things going Jaimie??

Did I mention I'm running NJ marathon as well? Of course my goal time isn't near what yours.

14. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

awesome! what is your goal? i'm not sure i'll be able to reach a 3:10. i was sick for a week, and missed running the whole time. i'm still going to try though.

15. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

I forgot to sign up for the March 100 Challenge so I'm just going to keep track of it here.

Goals: To run every single day, no excuses count. To lift every other day, full body, keeping HR up.
    Food shop every week and pack lunches/snacks for work. 2L water/day.
    No cheat meals, 1 cheat drinking night/week.

March 1 - Woke up hungover, jogged, went out but didn't drink.
    March 2 - Went out, didn't drink, ate healthy, ran only 2 miles b/c exhausted
    March 3 - Turning over a new leaf at work, too. Got in early before 8am and worked til 8pm. EXHAUSTED. Didn't eat the junk food that is ALWAYS at work for birthdays, etc. Lifted hard, chest and back. Ran stairs in my apartment for 20:00. Too sleepy for any fun tonight :/
    March 4 - Night run with friend - about 3 miles. Ate healthy all day, but skipped dinner b/c we passed out after running. Sleeping 10 hours is great, but I'm starting this morning STARVING.

#75 JamieK, Mar 1, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  16. rockenmama

Congrats on finishing the Marathon! Sorry you didn't get your goal. I didn't either. Anyway it's been awhile since I've been here. Just wanted to give you my Congrats!

17. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

mama! you finished though, right? congrats! my boyfriend decided he wanted to try to run it and i knew i wouldn't be near my goal, so i ran it with him and finished about an hour slower than my best time. the worst part is..it still hurt so much! i thought jogging would feel good, but being out there longer just made my joints hurt more. how are you feeling now? when is your next race?? there's a great 4 miler on july 4th in cranford that i'm probably running. :)

18. rockenmama

Yep I finished. I paced a friend until mile 15 when issue's from what I ate the night before took over. Finished in a little over 4 hours. Despite when I felt like crap, it was a great training run for me. My next race is a 50 miler in August. I'm feeling great right now, though ask me again after my 4 hour and 3 hour back to back (Thurs & Friday) runs.

BTW I can't believe how FLAT the marathon was! OMG I've never ran on flat lands like that. I like my hills too much :)

How are you feeling??? I'd love to get some shorter races in during my Ultra training. Would work great for speedwork.

19. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

wow a 50 miler! will that be your first ultra? i want to try it one day, but the arch of my right foot acts up even for marathon training, so i should probably stick to 1/2's and marathons. i just found out i got into the nyc nike 1/2 at the end of july, so that's the next long race i'm doing, along with a relay and a few 5ks in the city. do you ever train in central park?

the nj marathon was flat and kind of dull (2 of the same loops...ugg). good luck on the 4 hour/3 hour runs - you're nuts! :)