1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm new! "before" pics, and a couple questions for runners

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by JamieK, May 30, 2007.

1. Croz

Croz Active Member

Abs look great! You're really doing well!

2. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

thanks kd! i'm doing much better with the eating now. starting work is tough, but it is giving me structure and making me plan ahead to work out and eat healthy, so i guess that's good. i was mostly stressed about a break up, but that's going away a little at a time, and is actually great motivation to want to be healthy and look good!

and thanks chop and croz! i'm always impressed with how supportive and nice people on this website can be. i should have never stopped posting here.

3. mattback

mattback Active Member

wow girl you look fabulous. keep eating and lifting and doing what you're doing (minus the starving part haha <3 )

4. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

thanks! i feel so good. i've run every day this week, and have lifted every other day. i just got back from watching my friend run the olympic marathon trials and it was inspirational. went home instead of going out drinking right after with friends, went on the treadmill for 45 mins....i'm still going out later so i guess it wasn't inspirational enough - haha. but i'm in a better place than i've been in for months, and i'm excited to see my abs!!! and to race again soon :)!

5. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

I read that a US runner collapsed and died during the trials. That's awful.

6. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

It is REALLY sad. I have friends who ran against him in college, said he was a great guy. It was in the first 6 miles, so it was likely a pre-existing condition...he was an elite runner and should have been able to run forever. Makes me feel sick.

7. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

Progress Pic - November 100 challenge

10 days into the Nov. 100 challenge. Eating healthier is a hard habit to get into, but exercising again has been easy. I read a study that suggests that our brains need 3 weeks time to get out of habits, good or bad, because the neural pathways remain. They got really efficient in dealing with your habits, and aren't going to change back quickly. It sucks at first, but is actually really encouraging news if you think about it - you have to be good for only 3 hard weeks, and then you will be used to it.

Anyway, I'm posting a new progress pic. My calves got a lot stronger, and I think I can see more definition. I lost 2.5 lbs in the last 2 weeks, and 2% bodyfat (if my scale is accurate - probably isn't). I want to lose a little bit more from my belly so I can see some abs, but I think that I'll have to lose a lot of weight before that goes anywhere. Bummer.

Attached Files:

8. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

9. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

thanks! :)

10. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

Does anyone have any tips for staying motivated throughout winter? It's always been a little bit of a problem for me. So far, I have run almost every day for the past 3 weeks, but I can already tell I'm getting to be blah about the workouts. I can't afford to get into a slump all winter because I want to run a good 1/2 marathon in April and a marathon in May. Help!

11. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Visualize those lovely abs turning to flab...or perhaps put up a poster of someone who inspires you and look at it each morning.

12. goonie

goonie Active Member

Mixup your training so you don't get stuck in a rut.

Find a new location to run instead of using the same route over and over.

What could you add into your program that you maybe aren't doing enough of? If it's all distance, do some speed work. If you don't have any hill running, try that.

Different playlist on the iPod can help too.

13. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

thanks guys. i think a big part of the problem is that i'm on the treadmill a lot more. i've been lifting weights every day to try to stay interested in working out, b/c i think just going to the gym for an hour to run in one spot and then leave would be maddening. i go rockwall climbing on tuesday nights, and go into the city to do my longer run on the weekend in central park. i'm not sure what else i can do to stay motivated every day. do you think it's time to try a supplement or something for energy before working out? it might just be the lack of sunlight every year that does it to me, but i'm determined to come out of the winter in better shape for once.

oh yeah - i've been working out without music, and i'm getting an ipod for xmas (i was good this year), so maybe it could be as simple as that one change to make working out more fun?

14. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

You have a naturally beautiful 'form'. If you don't feel 'healthy' then your goals are valid. I do not see the need for any more work beyond what you're sustaining.

Rogo

15. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

Thanks Rog. It has become less about how I look (although Gorilla's advice to visualize my abs turning all gross def. did help) and more about feeling better and faster on runs, and stronger when lifting. I ran with my new ipod today and it was AWESOME. I forgot how much the right music can help. It's at least as good as caffeine. Hopefully it'll be enough to get me through my usual winter slump.

16. Lo0p

Lo0p Active Member

I think whats just been posted by goonie and gorilla are great ideas for helping us stay motivated through the winter. Another great motivator is to set a goal.

You look great btw, you must be feeling awesome!! :tu:

keep it up!! :bb:

17. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Glad I could help! :tucool: I just got an ipod touch for my b-day and its great! I have a few guided HITT workouts that I play once in a while and although they are pretty cheesy, they do help mix things up a bit and I find give you something to focus on.

18. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

If you like electronic music, keep an eye on this site. That's the home of the Podrunner podcast that has mixes that are about an hour long set to a certain beat per minute. Mainly up tempo stuff for running, from 140-180 bpm.

He's announced that starting Feb 1 he will be hosting some interval workout mixes as well.

19. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Very cool! Thanks for the link! :tucool:

20. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

very cool site, thanks mannish. and thanks loop - is that you in your avatar??!