1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm new! "before" pics, and a couple questions for runners

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by JamieK, May 30, 2007.

1. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

EVERYONE says this, I do mean everybody on the planet! I started tri last year because long running was wrecking a bad knee (I've not run more than 8 miles in a year and since last august my longest run has been 5 miles), but I wasn't a good swimmer. I had to pick it up and have gotten much better, surprisingly quicker in a year. It's also good for overall fitness. The thing is, swimming is the shortest component of almost any tri, and really short in some of the tris that are in a pool, so even a bad swimmer can make up a lot of time on the bike and run.

Thanks, it was great weather. Freezing at the beginning but zero energy lost to too much heat or cold after the first 1-2 miles, so I averaged 7:19 miles, I think. I am currently running a mere 3 miles twice/week, but it's fairly fast on the track and then 3 bike rides week (2 hours, 1 hour, 1 hour, at least one of the 1 hour being a time trial) and swimming a few times/week, so I can do about 7:00 miles for 3 miles still, but I do miss long running, though honestly I find triathlon or duathlon more interesting during the races and it certainly is easier on the body. All I'm training for now is sprint tris because a reduction in distance and increase in intensity lets me be competitive in them without burning up my knee with lots of miles.

Good luck with the duathlon! I had my first about two weeks ago and have a sprint tri this sunday :)
    That is very quick! If your cycling is even in the same ballpark as running, you should do really well at the duathlon. If you've not already, try to keep cycling cadence nice and high--no lower than 90. I'm often doing 100 or more; it seems to take advantage of cardio more than brute muscle strength and as a fit runner I think it would benefit you a great deal.

2. Queenie

Queenie Active Member

OK I am no expert, but I'd say that your instinct to cross-train more is a good one. I like the bike for that (no impact!) but I have trouble getting on it somehow, whereas with the running I just go out the door and start. (Hm. Why is that?)

If you don't want to grow more, I'm not sure lifing heavier is your answer. I think with the amount of exercise you are doing, the answer is portion control. Don't you just hate portion control? Also, if you love carbs, where are they coming from? Are you a pizza/pasta girl? 'Cos you're probably going to have to tweak that a bit.

Do you think if you lean up a bit that will help your time?

I find your marathon time inspiring. I couldn't run a marathon for a hundred million dollars at any speed. I'd be happy if I could do 5K without a walk break. But I'm trying! I'm getting better! Maybe someday I'll be in your league.

3. Alana Calloway

Alana Calloway Active Member

Welcome to the boards Jamie
    You do look wonderful

4. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

Thanks Jedi, and thanks for the cycling tip, Skoorb. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

And thanks Alana :)

Queenie, I'm not so much of a pasta/pizza fan, only sometimes. I do get sugar cravings pretty often, though. Eating more protein in the past week or two has helped a lot, as has keeping track of what I'm eating - I'm more conscious of snacking. I def. think that leaning out will help my marathon time as long as I can keep up with hard workouts while I'm cutting some calories.

"I couldn't run a marathon for a hundred million dollars at any speed. I'd be happy if I could do 5K without a walk break. But I'm trying!" Have you signed up for a 5K? I think it would be a fun way to meet your goal if you're trying to run for longer without stopping. There are so many people at road races to cheer you on, and it's a really positive environment with very little stress for people who are racing to win it, and for people who are trying to run the whole thing without walking. I went to watch some friends run today in Ann Arbor and it was great. I'd never gone to a road race just to watch - it was awesome to cheer on the men running 5 minute mile pace, and the little kids who sprinted full speed for 30 seconds and then dragged slowly back to their parents, and especially to see the people in the back running 15 minute miles and sprinting it in to the finish line. It made me feel really lazy this morning, but it was inspiring :) Are you planning to run one some day?

On another note, my legs are finally recovering from lifting FOUR days ago. So, I run a lot, but I'm def. not in the best shape that I can be. I got a lot of work to do.

5. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

You said you just starting lifting recently right? Because when I first started, I physically felt the same way after the first time I lifted each particular body part. I was debilitatingly sore for DAYS afterwards. I thought to myself: "Is this what lifting is going to be like? Painfully sore to move around and do day to day things constantly?" But what I found was that the second lifting session left me less sore, and by the third I wasn't sore at all. I've never been that sore ever again, so I think it's just a beginners thing.

But WOW was I excrutiatingly sore for DAYS after each of my first lifting sessions!

6. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

Maybe you just went at it too hard? I got sore early on, but never to a debilitating extent.

By the way, Jamie, a girl with some muscle looks fit, and fit is extremely attractive yet rare in women (most are happy to be scrawny).

7. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

thanks, and you guys are both right - I went a little too hard on lunges the first day and paid for it. I did lunges and squats again today, and feel only a little bit of soreness so far. I think I'll just have to take it easy to start, and not give up just b/c it hurts.

8. Queenie

Queenie Active Member

I "ran" one in the spring, and the results were mixed: On the one hand, I found it very difficult to pace myself so that I ended up walking part of it. OTOH I finished it in about a half hour, which is about what my time would have been if I had run it all. Plus that was the day I realized that my shoes were just absolutely not going to work anymore so I had foot issues and yet, thirty minutes woohoo!

So when the weather cools off if my feet have recovered maybe I'll try it again just to say I did it. I was kind of amazed at the number of people who took it seriously.

Soreness: I find that the first heavy lifting workout after a long break is the worst, with soreness peaking on day 3. The best thing is to hit those muscles again nice and easy, to flush out all of the lactic acide or whatever crud is in there and pump some nice fresh new blood through. Works a treat.

A little DOMS is good, a lot tells me I overdid it.

9. Alana Calloway

Alana Calloway Active Member

JamieK
    Your Body is great I wish I had one like that I'd say keep on working out and Running is part of working out in fact its a better workout than just the normal sit ups

10. eyeballrene

eyeballrene Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie,

I'm glad you've started this thread! I'm having sort of the same issues.

I also run a lot, just finished my 3rd marathon on Sunday (June 3, 2007), and have a couple half M's and a few 5k's planned. I'm also trying to find a good balance between weight training and marathon/long distance training. I've just stumbled upon a book "Weight Training for Running." I found it on Overstock.com - cheap! I'm just now getting into the book but it looks like moderate weight / moderate reps. I haven't really delved into the workouts or the finer points of the book yet, but it's pretty straight forward. I plan on giving this workout a try once I'm recouped.

I could relate to what you said about your running not being as good because of the weight training. It's a balancing act, for sure. Do continue to keep us all posted on how everything goes, and how you adjust the running and weight training.

Ditto on what others said about nutrition.

Good luck with it all! :tu:

11. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

ok i've been away from this for too long. i just graduated from law school and started working at my first real job. i think i'm becoming depressed from having to leave all of my friends and start over. i'm also having relationship problems that i don't know how to fix.

i haven't wanted to eat anything for 3 days, and have probably only eaten 500 calories each day. my body feels shaky, and i hate treating myself like this. the only thing i have control over is how i treat myself, so i decided to work out every day again. i started off slow today with some push ups and 2 8-minute miles. i feel a little bit better already. hopefully, i can get myself out of this slump and start feeling like myself again.

12. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

Yikes! 500 calories a day? Control? Anorexia is a slippery slope. I hope you find other means of relaxing! Cathartics can do wonders ;)

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Stop doing that. It will make your troubles worse. Get that nutrition up to something sensible - and don't worry about cutting today. Get your sleep. When you have had a week of steady eating at a reasonable maintenance level and been sleeping decently, then get the workouts started. Then you can think about fitness goals. It doesn't matter what your goals are - you can't make real progress to any goal if you are starving yourself.

And yeah, if you need to exercise now to feel better, that's OK. But don't do any serious resistance work in your state. It's actually dangerous to mess with weights when you aren't properly fed and rested.

14. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

500 calories per day will literally starve you. You NEED to eat a LOT more than that if you want to maintain any level of health. Even in the short term it's a bad idea.

15. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

Congrads on law school. I'm an attorney too.

Your profile says you don't like dieting, well what you're doing isn't even dieting. It's depravation. Eat well but normally and get active. I saw your before pictures. You looked great. You know how to get in shape. It's going to be tough with attorney work hours, but make the time.

16. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

i forgot how to paste pictures directly into a post. ok, my new fitness goals are to run a 3:10 marathon this spring, to be able to finally do 10 pull-ups, and to at least get enough ab definition to be able to see the start of a 6-pack. i think i am motivated enough to start. i've done a lot of crunches in the past week, and can already see a little bit of a difference, but my diet has been inconsistent, and i might just see a change because of that. i'm back to eating normally today, but only healthy stuff - i feel better. apple and eggs for breakfast, apple and pb sandwich on wheat for lunch. lots of water. it's not good to attribute anything good to feeling sad and not eating - but i feel like i've kicked my sugar cravings in the past week. i'm looking at it like a detox, and it's time to start new good habits now since i'm out of all the old ones.

i'm not embarrassed of this picture, but i can see that i need some work. and i'm pale, but no amount of exercise can help that. :)

oh! and i'm def. tensing my abs (or lack thereof) a little bit in this picture, so that i remember and don't feel demoralized for the next progress pic.

Attached Files:

#36 JamieK, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  17. Croz

Croz Active Member

Jamie,
    That pic is in your Gmail account. We can't see it due to Google's security. I'm sure someone can give you some pointers on how to get the pic into your post directly.

18. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

thanks - I LOVE THAT QUOTE!!!! seriously, i consider Lance Armstrong's cameo to be the best non-actor cameo of all time. he was brilliant.

19. kd1

kd1 Active Member

I reckon there are a ton of people that would kill for abs like yours - me being one of them!

How is the eating going? When I started work I did the opposite of you and started eating way more calories than I should have. Ended up putting on a stack of weight. The upside is that even though your calorie intake seemed way too low, you can bounce back quite quickly. It's not as if you've created this monster of a problem to bounce back from.

I hope you sort out the stress that's causing you the appetite loss.

#39 kd1, Nov 1, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  20. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

wow! that's smokin'. good luck! :nod: