1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm new! "before" pics, and a couple questions for runners

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by JamieK, May 30, 2007.

1. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

I have been running for a long time, but recently started lifting weights more and running a lot less. It's fun to see new muscles, but I'm struggling to lose some weight. Also, I've been sluggish on all of my runs lately, and my body seems not to be working together as smoothly as it did before - it's a weird feeling that is probably a result of putting on more upper body mass. Anybody strike a good balance between running and lifting? I thought that lifting more would benefit my running, but it might be taking away from it. Plus, on a more vain note, I don't know that I like the bulkier look very much.

Has anyone had this problem with running? And has your body adjusted to your new routine, or did you find that you had to sacrifice the lifting in favor of more cardio?

Attached Files:

2. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

1st off, I think you look great.:tucool:

Second, What's lifting routine like? you can do 3 days lifting and 3 days cardio, that's a good split.

I think women who lift weights look great. But then again, I'm not rele into the olsen twins skinny bean pole look.

3. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

I'm lifting mostly shoulders, biceps, and triceps - rotating about 4 times/week with weight that is pretty heavy for me...I'm really sore on my off-days. I used to lift a lot lighter with more reps when I ran track, but it felt like a waste of time b/c I never really saw any results and had puny arm muscles. I guess I just want to figure out if I can keep lifting arms heavy and still have somewhat of a runner's body. If I can get more motivation, I'd like to lift 4x/week and run every day. Maybe that'll take care of the problem?

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie, welcome to the boards :tucool:

I have a gut feeling that the problem lies in your nutrition. Your "million carbs" signature in your avatar gave me a little hint ;)

You really haven't defined your goals with all that running. Are you training for a race? Or do you race in general?

If you're after weight loss and lean muscle gains, you'll have to change your outlook on diet, and also train your lower body with squats, lunges, squats, squats, stiff leg deadlifts, leg curl variations, and squats.

Have you read the Beginner's Sticky section? Good place to start. Post your daily nutrition and the members here will help you out.

Good luck! :tucool:

5. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Hi Jaime. Welcome to land of JSF.

I'm not a runner ( I'm built more like a German tank than a gazelle :lol:) but there are plenty of people here that do run and lift.

Check out the journal section and you'll find plenty of runners there and how they manage to lift and run.

6. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

Yeah, I have a sinking feeling that you're right about the nutrition thing. Dang. It's tough because I'm training for a marathon coming up in the fall, and have run a few this year, so I'm convinced that carbs are the best things ever...I crave carbs constantly when I'm running that much. Now that I'm not running quite as much, I've been including protein shakes in my diet and more meat, but old habits die hard I guess. Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the beginner's section :)!

7. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

Thanks for the tip! I like your signature. I am with you on the carbs.
    ;)

8. mattback

mattback Active Member

Jamie,

ok first off. your body is GORGEOUS. ok, there, got that out of the way. :D

I'm training for a triathlon, and i've found that If i don't run at least every other day, my running seriously gets thrown way out of wack because i'm also lifting heavy. I basically try to run on the days after my heavy weights days, except for legs day ( because honestly, sometimes i can barely walk), in order to keep everything in order.

I also really like to incorporate running with bodyweight-type exercises. kind of like those 'fitness trails' that are common in many parks. They actually give you a heck of a workout if you push yourself!! I do those with my mom every week. they're a riot.

lastly: work out your legs!! it makes a huge difference in leaning out!! if you combine working your legs out heavily with eating the right amounts of protein , fat, and carbs during the week, and then 'carbing up' the night before a long day of running, i've found this works wonders on both staying lean, running well, and lifting heavy!!

welcome to the board , i think you'll like it here.

9. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie and welcome to JSF :) as matt said you do look good :) I run and weight train.... however i didn't find marathon training conducive to weight loss for me... i was eating around 50% carbs when i was doing this training and needed to keep cals fairly high to fuel the training. Now that you are running less and lifting more this is the time when you could lose some fat... like the others have said, read the stickies and then i suggest you reduce carbs a bit and make sure you are doing as much training for your legs in the gym as other body parts, it shighly unlikely you will get bulky from this Good luck :)

10. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That's not surprising. I think maybe you want to consider an alternative way to burn them when you aren't running as much; ramping diet up and down can get into your psychology after a while.

Let's Go Mets.

11. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

Thanks Jedi!
    I guess I'll have to suck it up and lift legs. I've avoided it in the past b/c they get sore, and then I can't run as hard the next day. In the long run, it's probably a good idea, though.

And thanks Matt - I LOVE those fitness trails! They made for great "physical challenges" with my brothers when I was little. The parallel bars were the best, IMO.

12. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

I have done a lot of training for triathlon and also heavy upper body lifting and found them quite compatible. I'm recently back to hitting my legs after almost every bike or run, too (trying to PT some knee pain).

Nutrition is very key, especially for a person putting in a lot of running miles. One who wants to lose weight may find that the long runs in particular are a real drag if carbs are low, so at the least, think about keeping carbs decent the day before a long run, or at least fuel throughout it (and before, with gatorade or gel).

Sleep is important, too, get a lot of it!

I have found that tri training for short distance is better for weight loss than marathoning because those long run days in particular turned me into a rabid dog, just could not eat enough calories. Also, if you're not well stocked on energy, your form will start to fall apart and you can feel that more in a run than on a bike (on which you may simply slow down, but not feel like dead weight as you would when running).

I do still think that the more cardio the merrier for weight loss, but if that is the goal, mixing other activities in may help.

As always, count calories if not satisfied with progress.

You are not too bulky, btw.

13. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Alot of people avoid working their legs because they know it's going to hurt, especially if they haven't done it in awhile.

Just take it slow and don't try to go too heavy at once. While some people like crawling around on their bellies for a few days, most do not. A touch of DOMS never hurts anybody. :)

14. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

I agree with everything he said... but I'd add.. work your chest & back too... your back muscles are some of the largest in your body and will boost your matabolism a LOT

but you look GREAT :nod::tu:

15. Queenie

Queenie Active Member

What are your goals, again? Did I miss those? You look lovely, if a bit smooth. However, some people like smooth, it's not like you look saggy and out of shape.

What do you wish to acheive? I too adore my carbs. Lotta calories in carbs.

How far do you run? I don't like running, but the way I feel afterwards is amazing.

16. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

Thanks skoorb - I think I'll take your advice and not skimp on carbs before a long run. It's a bad feeling to be sluggish on a 12 mile run. Also, I've started road biking to mix it up a little. It's been fun, and I think it'll help me get out of the running slump that I seem to get myself into after each marathon.

That's cool that you do triathlons! I would, but I'm more of a sinker than a swimmer. My first duathlon is next weekend though :)!

Nice 10 mile PR, by the way.

17. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

oh man, you are right. I lifted a lot of arms and back today, and decided to just throw in some legs at the end - just lunges and squats - nothing too heavy, and THEY HURT! I ran afterwards and ended up throwing in the towel early and finishing with a bike ride instead. It's a good kind of sore though (for now), but I know to expect it to be worse tmrw :blank:

18. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

Thanks Queenie, my goals are to improve my marathon time of 3:21 to 3:10 in the fall. I want to decrease my body fat from 21% to 18% by increasing protein intake and lifting weights more. I would love to be able to just run a lot more to reach this goal, but I get injured pretty easily when I overdo the running. I'm biking more to try to keep up the cardio without the overuse injuries.

So, I guess my goal is to get faster by October with a different strategy than just running a lot more - I want to fix my diet and lift more to decrease body fat.

I am only running about 20-30 miles/week right now, but build up to 70 miles/week about a month and a half before marathons.

19. JamieK

JamieK Active Member

Thanks Cham! I am very clueless about lifting, and my friend is helping me out a lot. I actually do lift chest and back - I just call it arms b/c it's bench press, shoulder press, lats, etc...stuff that isn't "legs"... Yeah, I'm that much of a noob. ;)

20. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

wow GREAT marathon time :) I have also just added cycling to running for variety!