1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm new...and need some advice on weight loss!

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by travsgirl042902, Jun 26, 2007.

1. travsgirl042902

travsgirl042902 Active Member

My name is Natalie and I am 21 years old. I currently weigh 185lbs...which is a good 45lbs more then I did in high school! :o I have come to the conclusion that I have a problem with over eating. Even when I feel content with how much I ate, I feel the need to eat more until I feel sick. I work 2 jobs, and my schedule is never the same two weeks in a row. I'm not sure how to go about starting a routine that I can stick to, or a diet plan that fills me up enough that I don't feel the need to eat more. Please share your thoughts and expertise. I want to loose weight not only to look and feel healthy, but also to set my boyfriend of 5 years at ease about my health...since I was a lot healthier at 16 when we started dating! I'm ready to make a change for the better!

2. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Hi Natalie, welcome to JSF :).

First, make sure to read gravityhomer's fat loss guide and marcus' guide to nutrition for weight loss. These will get you started with the basics.

Second, you say

Are these binges? That is, do you eat tons of junk, specifically sugary and fatty stuff, over a very short period of time and feel as though you've lost total control over yourself? If yes, this is something that I have struggled with in the past, and with which others here have struggled as well. There is such a thing as binge eating disorder, but I don't think that this is what I had. In my case, it was a matter of depriving myself of certain foods. It was the thought that I would eat as much chocolate as I could in one sitting because it was "forbidden" and starting tomorrow I'd never have it again that led to severe weight gain. This is connected with an all or nothing mentality, where I feel that if I have one chocolate bar the whole day can be written off from a nutritional standpoint anyway, so I might as well have that bag of Oreos and that pint of ice cream, too.

In my case, what stopped the binges was me telling myself that I was allowed to eat chocolate. And ice cream. And brownies. No food was forbidden. After I made that choice it was like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders and, oddly enough, I stopped craving those foods. Additionally, it has been shown that carbohydrates, specifically simple carbs, raise serotonin levels. Since I suffered from depression for a long time, I think the binges were connected with low serotonin levels in my brain. However, something else that raises serotonin levels in exercise. After I started exercising six days a week, my binges stopped. So I think it was a combination of 1) relaxing my attitude towards junk food and 2) exercising that helped me break the binge cycle.

I hope this helps and if you have questions, ask.

3. travsgirl042902

Allow me to elaborate a little bit.:D Although I eat more in one sitting then is necessary, my main focus is on finding a workout regiment that is easy to get started, but can be added to as I progress. I don't binge, I just feel the need to finish what is on my plate no matter how full I feel. I am ready to start a healthier life, but I don't know how to fit a workout plan around my ever changing work schedule. The information that you gave me is great, and I am ready for more! What is the best cardio workout that I can start out with to get my stamina built up, since I am basically starting from scratch. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated! And what about the P90X program that is shown on tv...is that worth all the hype? I'm a little intrigued by their infomercials!;)

4. virtualadrian

virtualadrian Active Member

That program is a biz and a half, it would work but it would require total commitment and discipline. I am not saying don't do it but before you go and spend 120 bucks... I think it is, think about that. I recently put together a meal plan / exercise program for someone I know that is in your situation ( hectic schedule ). It involves working out 15 minutes daily. The workouts are interval based to maximize the effectiveness. It is an excel spreadsheet so if you want it send me a private message or hit me up on IM since I can't upload it here. I can also dump it to HTML or word or some other format if you need. It is 2000 calories so I may have to adjust it for you.

As far as the binges or overeating that is something you need to change your mentality about. I used to finish everything on the plate too, but we are not in the middle of a great depression or anything and you will hurt yourself more by finishing! Generally this mentality is brought about by family or the way you were brought up... least that was the case for me. The other thing that may be causing it is your crazy schedule, I found myself wanting junk a lot when I was uber tired and sleep deprived.

I am now rambling, the main thing is that you are here and want to change. Keep posting and keep up what you started, there is enough expertise on this forum to get you going.

Anywho send me a PM or whatever if you want that plan, I'll convert it to HTML for folks here to critique...

EDIT::

Here is the converted document::

http://virtualadrian.com/othercontent/Program.htm

Please let me know if I biffed anything or am giving bad advice. Again that is a 2000 calorie diet, you may need less. Post your height, weight, and age. I only see 2 out of 3.

#4 virtualadrian, Jun 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  5. goonie

goonie Active Member

HERE is a previous thread regarding P90X that includes a link to a review from a JSF member.

Both the P90X website and the linked review above state the program isn't intended for beginners. Of course the source that isn't trying to sell you something appears to be a little more adament about this. Just going off what you wrote, it doesn't sound like the program for you right now. Save the $120 for your gym membership.

To me, it sounds like you're trying to prioritize your workout routine ahead of getting your diet straightened out, which would be a big mistake. I hope I'm wrong here.

6. sumisan

sumisan Active Member

Hi! I use P90 products, I know not everyone agree's with them but they work great for my because the closest gym is an hour and a half away ( I am very rural!) P90x is not a beginner program, you can go to the beachbody website, find the P90x program and on that page there is a link that says is P90x for you? and there they have a P90x fit test. You see P90x assumes you are already fit. Designed to be what comes next after P90, and even then you may not be fit enough.

I completed P90 then moved on to the Master's Series, which is more toned down than the X, but plan on moving on in September. I whole heartily recommend the program if the gym is not an option for you! I used to go to the gym and didn't know what I was doing, never really got anywhere, but if you have a good plan the gym can be an excellent tool too!

Also regular P90 focuses on weight loss first, P90x is more for muscle building and getting fitter. And they include an excellent diet plan... basically just like they recommend here.

#6 sumisan, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  7. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I've done a couple of rounds of P90X.

It's a tough program, but as long as you work hard and watch your diet, you will get results.

8. travsgirl042902

I have overcome!!!

After the advice that I have received over the last few days, I have overcome my need to finish everything on my plate whether I want it or not! :tu: I find that I have a lot more energy and actually want to get up and move after eating...instead of needing a nap like before! I also really appreciate all the advice about the P90x stuff. I actually went to beachbody.com and looked into the Power90 program that I was told about, and I ordered it last night. It sounds like just what I need to fit my schedule and athleticism! I can't wait to get started! I have also looked into what I should and shouldn't be eating, and I think that I have found an eating plan that I can stick with! I am very excited and more motivated now then I have ever been before. In the past I would try something for less then a week, and if I didn't see the results that I wanted to see, I would go right back to not caring any more. I find that posting on the forums, and reading everyone else's posts help keep me motivated...because I sit back and think...if I bust my ass like all these other people have done, I can look and feel better too! So, thank you all for being part of my motivation and inspiration! :claplow:

9. mattback

mattback Active Member

well good luck to whatever you decide to do. i don't know if P90X is the ultimate solution... you can get similar full body total never repeating workouts from www.crossfit.com . i do them and they are brutally awesome.

i make my girls do them and we all get excellent results.

10. andysutils

andysutils Active Member

well i think getting an eating plan at the moment maybe more important than a workout, goto something like fitday.com, its great and it worked for me.

I say the diets important because if your not eating right, many workouts will be a waste of time no matter how hard you train.

Same as me when i started lifting, nothing ever changed because i wasnt tracking what i was eating, since i went to fitday and got my eating plan organsied, ive made much progress much quicker and easier in 2 months than i did thai boxing in 12 months.