1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm going to be drinking some alcohol tonight...

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by karatetricker, Feb 14, 2004.

1. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

and I remember once reading that it's advisable to have a protein shake after you are done drinking to aid in not losing muscle gains to the alcohol's effect on your body.

Do you think this is a good idea? I have the Designer Whey GlycerLEAN time release protein powder that I usually have as my last meal. Should I have that maybe before I go drinking since it releases protein in time intervals, should I stick to the after drinking plan or not have a shake at all?

Please don't tell me that I should just not drink at all, because being a Junior in college, it's not going to happen. :D

But I'd seriously appreciate any input on what would be the best way to handle drinking to maintain muscle and not really hurt my fat loss progress either.

2. jahozer

jahozer Well-Known Member

Hmm... the protein seems like a good idea. Your body is working extra hard to process the alcohol so I don't see why you wouldn't take advantage and throw some protein in the mix...

The best thing to do after drinking I have found is B complex, C and all your water soluble vitamins (anti-oxidents) with a gigantic glass of water. The extra O ion in alcohol splits your water causing dehydration and sending free radicals out to reek havoc in your system. plus all your water soluble vitamins get used up during this process or flushed out (you know how). The gigantic glass of water helps as well. Keep another next to your bed.
    This practice drastically reduces hangovers (field tested :tu: ) and does some valuable molecular protecting! Have fun!

3. djerickd

djerickd Well-Known Member

4. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Not eating empty carb calories will help your fat loss, but I know you're not hearing that! :D

So... about this protein thing. I've never heard that, and I don't really get it. You'll want to be drinking a lot of water, to move the alcohol right out of your system. And you'll want to be well-hydrated before-hand, so your body doesn't store the alcohol. But I've never heard this protein bit. Why would having a beer cause you to lose muscle? Alcohol doesn't attack muscle, it's just a bunch of empty carbs? I'm not convinced.

Any ideas, anyone?

5. karatetricker

Let me try to find the article...

And I'm not talking "a beer", I'm talking beers.

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

There's no harm in trying. lol. Personally keep something for when I come home so I don't have a bad hangover.

7. karatetricker

Found it, the alcohol article link

A summary of his suggestions:
    "1. Leave at least 2 liters of water by your bedside to drink when you get home before you go to bed. Not only will this prevent a hangover, but it will also help to hydrate your muscles.

2. Drink a protein shake or eat something dense in protein before climbing into bed as well (if you can still stand). This will help curb the catabolism occurring inside your body, not to mention you always need protein.

3. When you wake up the next morning and roll over, pray the girl next to you looks as good as she did last night. If not, shuttle her out of the room as quick as possible before your friends can find out and bust your balls.

4. 45 minutes to an hour before breakfast have a serving of ZMA and 5-10 grams of glutamine. The ZMA will naturally raise your testosterone levels that were lowered from your night of drinking, and the glutamine will help stop catabolism.

5. Eat a big breakfast filled with foods that are rich in protein, calcium, phosphorus and iron. Your body is craving these key nutrients since the alcohol diminished them the night before."

So, what do you all think?

8. xray

xray Well-Known Member

I do not have any clue on the protein after alcohol-thing. However, we choose ourselves what we want, and if you know you'll have some/a few/ many beers, then do it and enjoy it, and start over again the next day. It's no secret that alcohol is no good for us (no, I'm not an ani-alcohol person, I take it once and a while, but have become very good in "seldom" and "small portions").

Chopaholic, it is not like the alcohol won't be stored if we drink a lot of water beforehand - or after. Quite a bit of water in afterhand will help reduce the headache, since it rehydrates the body. (Yes, the headaches are partly caused by dehydration.)

Go and have fun and know what it did to your body - alcohol is no good for us, no matter we enjoy it.... I have more than one new start during the month, due to eating stuff I shouldn't, drinking what I shouldn't, but my off tracks are what makes me hang in there. (And I try to regulate them, tell myself in beforehand my limits of "overdoing").Have fun! :tu: