1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm a weakling

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by balbo, Jan 31, 2004.

1. balbo

balbo Well-Known Member

I've tried doing weight training for the longest time, usually only going for about a couple of weeks and then giving up for a few months. I usually give up because I'm discouraged by my pec, shoulder, and tricep performance. Those three areas are extremely weak relatively compared to my biceps, back or legs. I hate to admit this but I can't do more than 30 lbs on a barbell for more then 1 rep of 5. If anybody can help me with a routine that can help me improve this, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. SCHTEEVIE

SCHTEEVIE Well-Known Member

the amount of weight you lift is relative to no one but yourself.
    the type of routine you need should be based on your goals - not your perceived level of "weakness"

post your specs (height, age, weight) and goals, then maybe we can help you set up a routine and diet.

I suggest you read the bulking guide for a start.

3. freelancer

freelancer Well-Known Member

hey balbo im the same way, im thinking i should just build muscle first so i thinking of increasing the weights and lowering the reps. does anyone thing that might help

4. balbo

balbo Well-Known Member

well, I'm 5'11", 210 lbs and I'm a 20 year old. As far as goals, I'm working on losing some weight (down 10 lbs from my long running 220 lbs) and I'm working towards 175-180 lbs. As far as weight training, I would like to at least bench my future weight. I guess that's about it

5. HobbesAB

HobbesAB Well-Known Member

Lift hard, lift heavy. The gains will come even if you're on a cut since you're a newbie to weight training. when you're done cutting, start bulking. Read schteevie's sticky first and then start eating (clean). Train, eat, rest, and eat some more. Repeat.

6. Tiger King

Tiger King Well-Known Member

Okay, no offense but a "couple of weeks" is not the "longest time" and quite frankly is nothing in the grand time scheme of getting in shape.

You need to do it consistently for at least two months before you will notice considerable changes.

7. Maximus

Maximus Guest

No I think he means he's been doing the 2 weeks on, 2 months off routine for the longest time. Balbo, I think you're trying to lift with your mind and not your muscles. Remember, this isn't the Matrix. Here, you have to push and sweat to bend the spoon, not will it. I'm positive you can lift more than you think, but you're letting your mind tell you that you've had enough. Try the Max-OT method of weight training and increase your intensity level and I think you'll start seeing results in no time.

8. balbo

balbo Well-Known Member

what I meant by a long time is that I've attempted to start weight lifting for a long time, not that the two weeks of actually doing it was the long time. I've tried to start working out for the past 3 years but only do so in intervals of 2 weeks and then give up, then I start up again after a while. Does that make sense or am I just talking stupid?

9. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

In two weeks you are not giving your mucles enough time to grow. The biggest part I see if that in two weeks, you have already gone through the toughest part of getting through the initial soreness that you experience starting up.

You have to stay motivated; Look at John, come here and read up/ask questions. Getting a work out partner can be key to making gains and keeping you motivated to maintain a workout even when you don't feel like doing it. Make a plan and execute that plan.

10. haven97

haven97 Well-Known Member

Dude we all started weak at first. Even the bigest guy at the gym once was weak. I can bench 225 bb and flat press 80-85 db now but I remember the first time I was doing benches and put up 105 bb and flat press 30 db. I could hardly do 5 reps of each. Just keep at it and you will get there!