1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

ILoco's Guide to Showin How Its Done!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ILoco, Mar 30, 2005.

1. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

I'm new to this forum, but have been lurking for a week or so.... so first off I want to give some background on myself.

My fitness life has been a roller coaster for as long as I can remember. In high school, I played football and was on the weightlifting team. After I graduated, I let myself go. I went from a solid 204 to a flabby 225. After some ups and downs in life, I decided to do something about it 8 yrs later and joined a gym. I quickly found something I loved to do. I became very fit and put on a lot of bulk. I felt a calling about this time (2002) to join the Air National Guard, and because I had gotten fit, was able to get a flying job on a C130H. Boot camp took a lot of muscle from me since it was more calisthenics and no weights. After getting back from training, I let myself go again. That was a little more than a year ago, and now I'm 251 (the biggest I've ever been) and needless to say its not much of it muscle.

That's my history... now my present.
    I just joined a gym (I prefer the gym atmosphere) and getting back into my groove with lifting and diet. I have read a lot of this site, and you all seem like a bunch of supportive people who don't flame or unnecessarily criticize. That's why I've decided to document my progress. While I don't care about taking any daily photos, I will periodically post photos to this thread. The first will be posted in the next day or two. Hopefully I'll find some support here for the plateaus and maybe, when my journey is successful, provide some inspiration just has John and so many others are doing here now.

2. ellipticer

ellipticer Well-Known Member

Welcome on board, soldier.

Have faith because I think you're starting from a better place than 90% of the people here losing fat. Since you have done so much lifting and physical work in the past, I'd bet that you still do have a good layer of muscle beneath the flab... more than the average person at least. Your cutting should be easier and you will look better once it's done.

Good luck bro! Your post title shows you have a great attitude to start.

3. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member

welcome! ;)

I want to agree with ellipticer here... muscle has memory so you have an advantage over someone who's never lifted before, hit the weights and I'm sure you'll do great :nod:

4. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

Alright, maybe I'm going to be a little slow at showing how things are done. I've been lifting and doing 20-30 min of cardio, but have seen no changes in my weight. I may be eating too few calories and slowing down my metabolism. I'm not a very good record keeping kind of guy, but I guess I'll need to start a food log :-(

I've had really REALLY bad DOMS today... after squats/legs yesterday. Its the first time I've done squats in almost 2 yrs (I injured my back on them). I'll still be taking it easy at the squat rack for a little while. Just did 3x6 205# after acclimation and warmup.

I have been more than busy with work, so even though I've taken before pics, I haven't had a chance to post.

Stay tuned...

5. ellipticer

Just a theory........ if you have a good muscle base but you haven't lifted in a while.. and then you start lifting with good intensity, your muscles are going to load themselves with water and glycogen to recover...

Are you drinking enough water? Like at your size at least a gallon, more like a gallon+ per day?

And yea, I think everyone has to do a food log to start.. otherwise you're just guessing at the intake. Whenever I change up my nutrition, I do the food log for a few days until I become accustomed to the levels then I don't have to bother.

6. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments. That's why I'm taking the time to write a journal. I'm thinking you may be right on the muscle loading. I've noticed what looks like less fat, and able to see muscle def better. I'm drinking tons of water. At least a gallon of water a day. Almost 2.

I just did cardio and abs today because of the DOMS. I also am trying to eat more complex carbs, not too much, but more than I was (which was about 20 total carbs/day).

7. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

I didn't get to the gym this weekend since I work on Saturdays, but yesterday I took my kids to the park. Had a pretty active day, and played basketball for a while at the park, so at least I got my cardio in. I got a new charcoal grill last night and made some AWESOME salmon steaks. I'm still on my way and trying to keep motivated without a workout/training partner. I'll be at the gym again this afternoon. :bb: :db:

8. ellipticer

dude.... kids in the park, played some ball, got a new grill, made some awesome salmon...

sounds like a day of heaven!

9. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

Took me a little longer than I thought to post these, but they were taken 26 MAR. I wanted to make sure I stayed motivated by these like so many others have done. I'll post update pics in the next couple of days.
    [​IMG]

#9 ILoco, Apr 6, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  10. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm making progress. I seem to be shedding fat, but I'm getting worried I'll lose too fast and have the loose skin problem. I try not to use scales but once a week. I know last week I lost 3 lbs, but I think there was more fat lost and muscle coming back. I know I've lost almost an inch off my waist in 1.5 wks.

I'm trying to decide on a weight training program. Last time I had good results, I was doing cardio before weights 20-30min and 3 way split on my workout (chest/tri, biceps/back, legs). I've done the MAX-OT the last couple of weeks, but I think I'm going back to the 3 day split. I've also seen so much on the cardio before/after that I think I'm going to go back to what worked, cardio before (I've been trying cardio after for the last week).

Nutrition wise, this is my average day (yesterday): :eat:
    Protein Shake w/ 1 cup skim milk +glutamine, creatine
    1.5 cups oats w/ .5 cups raisins
    .5 cups Kashi GF
    2 salmon patties, 1 cup Veg-All, sm salad w/balsamic vinegar dress.
    Protein Shake w/skim milk +glutamine, creatine, dextrose (after workout)
    1 tbs Nat PB
    1 serv artif. crab (pollock)
    2 serv blackened salmon, sm salad w/bals vin dress.
    1tbs Nat PB (if munchies hit) :drool:

1 multivitamin, CLA 2 caps/2xday.
    Occas. Stacker 3 (no more than 2xday).

I always season with garlic, hot and spicy seasoning, and black pepper when I need to. I never use extra salt or sauces, incl ketchup.

Can't wait to post pics this weekend to show my progress, so I don't just have my before pics to scare me! :spaz:

11. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

I really feel like I'm on a mission now. Last night, my wife wanted to eat at a new restaurant, "Roosters". :eat: It's one of those southern rest. where everything is deep fried. I reluctantly went, resigning myself to have some ice water and a salad or something (anything not fried). Even though my wife ate a huge deep fried platter of catfish and shrimp w/ what looked like a quart of tartar sauce, :d_eek: I was able to select a grilled chicken breast (hold the honey mustard), cottage cheese, and blackeyed peas... no cornbread or yeastrolls either. I'm proud of myself for resisting the many temptations there. Then again, the greasy fried food just looks evil to me now. :cool:

BTW, my wife gets away with eating that stuff. She eats constantly (unhealthy foods) but weighs only 102 lbs and is 5'9". :d_rolleye Very small. I wish I had her metabolism. I still wish she'd eat healthier.

12. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

good job not eating that crap! i know exactly how you feel, my dad eats an entire package of oreo cookies every night before bed, 2 mcdonalds quarter pounders for lunch and he never goes above 9% bodyfat. plus his heart and blood pressure are in great condition. some people are just blessed :(

13. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

I had a good workout last night. My muscle memory is really kicking in apparently. I did lower body last night, and after my warmup and acclimation sets, I was up to 245 for 3x6 on squats. I feel awesome now. Lots more energy already, and I remember why I loved lifting so much before. I'm going to take some pics tonight and hopefully get them on here. I can't believe the progress I've made so far in just a couple of weeks. :claphigh:
    :bb:
    BTW, the reason I place so much emphasis on squats as a hurdle for my lifting is that I was injured doing them when I lifted before. Made 1 wrong move and I tore a muscle and threw my back out. Took me months to get over it, so I'm a bit worried everytime I get under that bar. I'm still a bit afraid to try too much weight, so I'm building back up slowly. I definitely don't want to be injured again and pay a chiropractor tons-o-$$$. :d_mad:

14. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

I had my son's birthday party yesterday at the park. It was in the 80s here and played basketball all day with my son and a couple of my friends. Awesome day. :cool:

At the party, my mother-in-law said "You're losing weight!" :tu: I'm just glad its already noticeable. I should have dropped 10 lbs in water weight alone with all I sweated out playing ball.

I did eat well... grilled some chicken breasts on the grill. Gave in to 1 Mich Ultra, and a small piece of birthday cake, but I earned it this week!

I didn't get around to taking pics. What with putting together a danged Big Wheels for my son for 3 hours and a sand playset. I truly think they try to see how hard they can make it on the parents to put these things together! They could at least make everything fit... but I guess they want us to jury rig their products! :confused:

15. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

16. ellipticer

Awesome results for barely two weeks! And you grew like 4 inches, too.

:tu:

17. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

Thanks! I try to get the pics "about right". Just eyeballin it! At least the image size is similar. :) Just gotta remember to adjust that contrast next time too (forgot it on first pics).

18. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

Had another good day today at the gym. I'm currently doing chest/tris on Mon, Biceps/back/lats on Tues, Shoulders/neck/delts Thurs, and legs on Friday. I do abs every day and 20-30 min cardio.

I absolutely hate doing legs on Fridays. The rest of the days I love, but squats are my archenemy. Can't stand em. They're the only thing I've injured myself on... more than once.

I weighed myself today at the gym and got 248. I know I've lost a lot of fat though, since my pants fit soooo much better. My old slacks I wear to work made me feel like a sardine. I could barely get them buttoned. No problem now. I should get my digital calipers tomorrow or Thurs and be able to get a BF%.

Can't wait to post some more pics in a couple of weeks! I couldn't stand it if I didn't see progress! I already have endurance progress in a lot of other areas now too ;)

19. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

I'm still sticking to my program. Yesterday I had my first real cheat meal. I BBQd at my brother's house and after playing softball with the kids and being outside all day, got hungry. I was the cook, so couldn't resist all the Brats, burgers, and chicken I cooked. I ate 2 burgers on bakery onion rolls, 1 chix breast, 1 brat, potato chips and baked beans. The only thing I stayed away from was the beer, although I did have a glass of KoolAid w/sugar. It was the best meal I've ate in years!!!

I'm back on my game for another week though. I'm sticking to everything except my food log. For some reason, I just do not write down things. This also includes my workout plan. I know in my head the weights and lifts I did the previous rotation, so don't bother writing it down. I need to log these things, but just don't think I'll ever be that organized with this stuff. I can add up daily food intake in my head. I'm sure it would help more on the journal, but its just something on my wish list right now.

I ordered some Vasopro and caffeine last week. The envelope finally arrived Sat., but there were no contents. The package was EMPTY. I'm working with the website to try to get a replacement, but this just delays my ECA stack. Hopefully they'll just send me out another. I also ordered a Myotape and Accutrack II caliper, but haven't received those yet either... it's been 10 days and the company is supposed to mail another if I don't have it by tomorrow.

20. ILoco

ILoco Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm starting to get discouraged. I'm seeing a lot of muscle gain, but the scales haven't budged. I've been working my @ss off!

I know the first thing to look at is diet. Yesterday it looked like this:

5am - 1 serv AlltheWhey Protein w/1 cup skim milk
    7am- 1 cup Kashi GM
    9am - 1 Sargento skim string chs
    11am - 1 grilled chicken breast, 1 cup salad, 2 T Newman Lite Balsamic Vin Dress
    1-3pm- 45 min cardio, weights (chest, tri)
    330pm - 2 serv AlltheWhey Protein, .75 cup skim milk, 10g glutamine peptide, 10g creatine, 50g dextrose
    5pm - 1 T Nat PB
    6pm - 5 oz grilled venison, 1 cup Breakstone Fat Free Cottage Chs

1.75-2 gallons water total

I'm really not sure if I'm just gaining muscle and burning fat. It looks like I am, but I want to see scales change. I guess I'm going on Atkins again next week or even sometime this week. When I was cutting about 2.5 yrs ago, I used it and it worked well. Any other suggestions????