1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I'll be fit or die trying

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by ameer, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

Well as I stated above you are looking at losing not just the fat but the hard earned muscle. 11 weeks of cutting your calories so aggressively will have it's consquences. Again I do advise against this. I know you want to be ripped but there is a difference between being shredded and being skinny and at the rate you are going with the calories you will end up sorta looking like the latter of the two. That or (as stated previously) you will look like a smaller version of what you look like now.

I have to agree with Seltzer, I love the enthusiasm but this isn't a race or a fade dude. This is a lifestyle change what you are doing and looking how you want isn't going to happen overnight...or in three months for that matter.

It's good to be an eager beaver but be patient young padawan. Do this slowly and methodically (though I may be 5 years your younger) I am a bit of a vet in this game as are many others here. Trust us on what we say...even though some of it may not make sense to you now. We give you advise based off of personal experience for a reason and it isn't to hold you back.

I have done the same thing you did back when I was a noob. I mean I've had advice given to me by Mastover way back when and completely disregarded it thinking that I knew better (as well as many others who had given me advice I did the same to) I recieved all my knowledge from M&F and thought that what they (and the pros) said was gold and didn't accept anything less than (or anything that didn't make sense to me).

It wasn't until years later (and MUCH research/trial and error) did I realize that all the knowledge I really needed was right in front of my face...right here on JSF. I'm not foolin' either! When Maya and I got together she began to teach me alot about proper nutrition. Much of her knowledge she gained from Mastover.

So what did I do?

I went back through the PM's he sent me (which I still have by the way) and actually gave his ideas a shot....well guess what? they actually worked! It was a very humbling experience. So much so I went on to PM Mastover and apologize for doubting his knowledge (not that he actually knew I did doubt him).

I'm not saying that since then I have become some sort of guru and shit, no no....I'm far from. But again (as I have stated before) I'm trying to stop you from falling down where I have. Right now you are doing exactly as I did....

My apologies but I believe I have completely digressed here.

So in short.

Cutting too many calories in attempts to get cut quicker is going to land you looking like a skinny B!$%& or a smaller version of what you look like now.

2. ameer

ameer Active Member

Wow, that's exactly what I was asking. :eek:
    I am definitely going to watch this very closely and probably make adjustments on Sunday. If you don't mind, please look at the results of this week with me then and let me know what you think. One week won't kill me, but I'm sure 3 months would if things aren't going as I want them to. Thanks again.

3. ameer

ameer Active Member

4. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

a couple things.

think pull BACK more as you pull. really get all your weight on your heels and DRIVE them hard. curl your toes back to get the hang of how this should feel. you can see you're swinging the barbell out in front of you to go around your knees instead of pulling it back.

you are also doing a bit of a hitching thing. take the slack out of your arms, get your chest as proud as you can, and get that whole core SUPER TIGHT when you get ready to pull.

you make that weight look like PIE tho. :nod:

5. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

From what I read I understand that the first few pounds come off quickly. First, your metabolism is high but after 4-5 days of crash dieting it slows down. Also, it's "easy" to lose a lot of weight if you are overfat and lots of that weight will be fat.
    BUT the leaner you are the SLOWER and smarter you have to diet.
    Why do you think John takes many weeks to diet slowly? Not because he likes to diet I don't think ;)
    (He also has more muscle mass which allows to drop to such low body fat percentage)
    Don't think that if you double your calorie deficit you are gonna double your fat loss.
    If it was that easy then I would go on 10 day fast and end up competition ready ;)

The slow and steady wins the race.
    There are no short cuts (other then maybe cutting of an arm to lose a very fast 20 lb ;) :lol:)

6. ameer

ameer Active Member

:D
    Thanks a lot. You've got me grinnin ear to ear. I just love the heavy weight on deadlift. There's nothing else I've found like it.

Thanks for the advice too. I thought I was spot on, but I see what you're saying. I love improving to get it just right.

7. ameer

ameer Active Member

Thanks Maya. I see that that sounds like what has happened with me over the last few days. So I can see that after this week I'll probably have to adjust. But and since I can see that it really looks like I at least got myself back to square one from before my week of overeating, and so far it looks I have lost mostly fat I am really happy with the progress so far. I can also realistically admit that I don't think it would be smart to assume that that kind of weight loss (mostly fat) can continue for an extended period of time. So I'm definitely going to see where I am on Sunday and go from there.

8. Merk

Personally I would adjust now, the sooner you adjust the closer you are to success :P

9. Merk

x2

Also try not to slam the weight onto the ground the way you were. Try and keep a controlled motion of the weight at all times. Keep the entire motion smooth and fluent.

So...

Up with the weight, breathing out as you go up.
    Down with the weight, breath in as you are going down.
    Touch the ground LIGHTLY
    Repeat.

Keep tension at all times :)

Do NOT....

Up with the weight, hold breath and exhale when turning blue
    Down with the weight so fast
    CRASH!
    Repeat.

:nono:

I find being choppy like that has jarred my back. Lighten the load to get a proper feel for it. Do take deja's advice, she knows her shit.

:D

10. Merk

Do remember that what you have lost over the past week is going to be water weight. I'm sure there is a little fat in there as well but mostly water.

11. ameer

ameer Active Member

As always. Thank you for the advice Merk. It's nice to have more confirmation about how to do it right.

12. ameer

ameer Active Member

Diet for yesterday...

1,810 calories 43.7 g FAT (13.8 g saturated) 190 g CARB (31 g fiber) 178.4 g PRO

and I forgot to post my workout with my bro yesterday... I'll post that here shortly.

============================\
    Extra chest workout from yesterday
    Incline bench 3x165,135,145x10
    Incline dumbbells 3x35,45,45x10
    Pressdowns 3x100x20
    Dips 3xBWx10
    Perfect push-ups 1x15

#292 ameer, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  13. ameer

ameer Active Member

"Anyone who wants to lose fat should start by eating at a minimum about 10 times their body weight in calories each day. For most people losing 1-2 pounds of fat per week is about right. Keep in mind that those calories can't come from just any foods--they must come from wholesome foods, and you must get a good balance of macronutrients. All your hard work in the gym won't amount to much without a good diet to fuel your body.

I used to aim for a 40/40/20 diet, which simply means I tried to get 40% of my calories from protein, 40% from carbs, and 20% from fats, with a focus on unsaturated fats, which are fats rich in Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs). There are two kinds of EFAs: omega-3 (linolenic acid) and omega-6 (linoleic acid). These EFAs are found in foods such as salmon and olive oil.

Over time I've changed those macronutrient percentages around quite a bit. "40/40/20" is not a hard and fast rule, but it's not a bad place to start.

Please be aware that the above diet contains too much protein unless you are following a good weight training program. You also should not eat that much protein if you have any history of kidney problems. IF IN DOUBT ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR."

John Stone
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Based on this even after John finished with his cut where he ate too little calories he says bare minimum is 10 calories per pound which puts me at 1,960 calories.

I'm still wary of what will happen by maintaining such a deficit so I'm gonna watch it closely.

Also from looking at his progress through his pictures and food logs over time his weight loss and body fat decreases definitely slowed down quickly after he got down to 12-14%, so I'll see what happens in my case, but I won't be surprised if I see similar changes for me.

From the pictures I've decided that I would really be happy with the kind of progress John had. I hope that I am being a little bit more reasonable with my calories than he was and maybe I can spare more muscle, but all in all with him going from 17% body fat on March 25, 2003 to 8% body fat by June 18, 2003 (about 11 weeks) that's really what I'm looking for.

I do see where he was taking in 1,500 or less to around 1,900 calories a day from March to June, then he increased his calories to 2,000 to 2,500 a day on June 17th after he reached 8% body fat. I'm gonna look into that more.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Ameer,
    I will say one thing, you must have your body really tricked, it doesn't know what to expect, one day 4,800 cal, another day 1,800 cal. That is a good thing. You are the opposite of me.:nod:

15. ameer

ameer Active Member

Wow when you write it out like that it looks crazy. 3,000 calories! :eek:

16. Merk

I would have to disagree in a sense. Keeping the body shocked in terms of weight training is good...not with the diet though. I mean carb cycling is one thing...but jumping around with 2000 calories frequently is another.

17. ameer

ameer Active Member

Today I conceded to a rest day so I could come home straight after work and spend some quality time with my family. Very happy with that decision by the way. I'll get in tomorrow morning for a crazy leg workout.

Diet today

2,155 calories 34.6 g FAT (7.4 g saturated) 259 g CARB (33.2 g fiber) 219.3 g PRO

It's amazing really. I thought that when I dropped my calories I would have to expect a drop in fiber too, but it seems that since I got used to incorporating better options in my diet that has carried over and even with fewer total calories I am still including an amount of fiber that I am happy with consistently.:claphigh:

So far the body fat is a droppin.
    3 readings
    15.6%
    15.3%
    14.2%
    average 15.03%

So far so good baby. At this rate when I check it tomorrow morning I'll be under 15%!

18. ameer

ameer Active Member

Today was legs...

Leg Extensions 3x180x15,12,12,12
    Hack Squats 4x225,225,205,205x8,3,7,4
    Squats (wu sets first) 4x275,295,225,225x1,1,7,6
    Walking BB Lunges 1x45x15
    Superset: Leg Curls 3x150x10/Leg Ext 3x90,135,180x10
    Standing Calf Raise 10xBW,45,65,65,65,65,65,65,65,65x10

The leg extensions were good, but I've noticed the last 2 workouts my quads get really tight after the first 3 sets.

The hack squats felt strong and I did more reps more comfortably than last week. I also tried doing them with 25 lb plates instead of 45's to get more range of motion (squatting down deeper to reach the bar), but that changes the whole exercise and I'll have to work on it for a while to work it into my workout.

I. Love. Squats. Squats and deadlifts anymore are just my favorite exercises by far. So anyway today I worked my way up to set a personal record going from 285 last week to 295 today. I did get it up by my spotter says that he probably gave me about 25lbs worth of help so I won't count it as a record breaker. Still felt good though.
    He also worked with me on my form. He wanted to get me to keep my back straighter, but in order for him to see what he was looking for I had to do a front squat. IMO that just means its a whole other exercise for an entirely different purpose. I've had other people tell me that it was just right. I'll post a link to a video next week. Hopefully you guys can help. He did help me realize that I wasn't getting to parallel like I was thinking and now and am squatting deeper.

The walking barbell lunges kicked my ass. I'm getting more used to them. The balance is definitely different.

I always enjoy the superset. It always feels like I'm getting that last bit of energy out. On the leg extensions I used the free weight machine instead of the cable machine. So I didn't do the 180 until I worked up to it. I always prefer free weights personally over machines so I'm going to go ahead and switch to that whenever I can. Today I was forced to because the cable machine was being used.

On the leg press toe press I switched to a standing calf raise with a barbell across my shoulders. It felt good on my calves, but I have to get used to that balance too. It's always tedious to do so many sets, but since it's from Mastover I'm sure there's method to the madness that is well worthwhile.

Diet was great today

1,805 calories 25.6 g FAT (5.5 g saturated) 183.5 g CARB (20.5 g fiber) 208.8 g PRO:jumping:

19. ameer

ameer Active Member

I took my bodyfat this morning

14.4%
    13.9%
    13.6%

avg 13.97%

Damn. So considering that I figured why not try to pull out my old pants that haven't fit in over 3 years. They are a little snug, but definitely an ok fit. Needless to say I am pretty excited about that, because it also confirms that the weight I am losing is coming off in a correct place, my waist. Not to mention they look great.

Every morning when I wake up first thing I do is eat. I want to get some protein and fast carbs in me quick. Lately I've been having an apple and a scoop of protein powder, but I read in Mastover's thread that he has eaten PopTarts after workouts. Granted this is while he is bulking, but even for me cutting as long as I work it into my calories I haven't seen it hurt. And boy were they delicious. So I had 1.5 (my kids had the other .5) after my leg workout yesterday and I had one with my protein shake this morning. Mmmm, happy way to start the day if I do say so myself.:drool:

Have a good day everyone!

#299 ameer, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  20. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Congrats on the Squats and the dropping body fat!