1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had the chance to change your career...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by ABguy, Sep 10, 2004.

1. ABguy

ABguy Well-Known Member

If you could do it all over again, but knowing what you know today, what career path would you have chosen ?

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Master fabricator a la Chip Foose. Someday I will learn to weld anyway.

3. Joecrabman12

Joecrabman12 Well-Known Member

Professional Poker Player

4. Sock

Sock Well-Known Member

I'd have married a Sugar Mama.

5. Collegefour

Collegefour Well-Known Member

I wanted to be a career Naval Officer, but Clinton screwed me up when he got elected. I would probably change things by going back to high school (which would be super easy knowing what I know now) and get my 4.0, go to college, and become that Naval Officer. Of course, It would be easy to get rich, since I would know who wins every Superbowl for the next 15 years. ;) :P

6. fujo

fujo Well-Known Member

I would like to be an artist.

7. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

Plastic surgeon, Derm, fitness model/personal trainer to the stars...
    Haven't started my career yet(senior in college) but I'll probably end up in Human Resources, Marketing, or Public Relations...
    Or *crosses fingers* I'll catch me a rich husband ;)

8. ShadowPenguin

ShadowPenguin Well-Known Member

ya know i really LOVE my career....i love computers...networking...the whole thing....

BUT

knowing what i know now...maybe i would have chosen a path that was more lucrative and secure. Wish i had my interest in fitness in high school, that would have been a cool career to pursue.

Eventually I will own my own business....that's where it's at if you can make it work. Working under someone is for suckers.

9. ABguy

ABguy Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'd like to be self-emplyed, master of my own destiny.

Hard work, long hours, but rewarding (hopefully).

10. jRS

jRS Well-Known Member

I would like to be MacGyver's son. And work for Pete Thronton and the Phoenix Foundation after I finished college.

My career haven't really started but there is a lot of school related choices I'd like to change. Like dropping out of school. It has affected my options. It's better to get it right when you are 16, than to try and fail when you are 19. (If this is off-topic or un-readable, Im sorry, Im tired)

11. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

I guess you could say I DID take the path I wanted. Why do it all over again? Every experience in life serves us, even going down that path that takes us into someone else's vision instead of the pursuit of our own dream. However, it is never too late ... our society is lulled by the promise of "security" in a job or career, even when we are slapped awake by reports of hundreds of thousands being laid off, etc.

Again, I'm not saying "jobs" are bad. What is interesting is when those situations happen, the people who are where they want to be - who have passion and a vision tied to what they are doing - find a way to rebound. Those who were there for the "security" feel like the rug has been pulled out from beneath them and are lost for awhile.

So ... to make a short story boring, THIS is the career path I have chosen. I want to impact the lives of others through health, fitness, and empowerment. And it is never too late - I was in the IT industry for 10 years and a Director when I decided that it was time to pursue what I was passionate about.

You CAN start over - heck, I've met entrpeneurs who are in their 50s who decided, no, it's not too late - I'm going to do what I WANT to do.

Am excited to read the replies, and to know who is going to dream about what they could be doing, and who has the courage to take action and pursue that right now.

Jeremy

12. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

I have been in the IT field for the last 7 years and while the money is good, I'm getting a bit burned out. Sure there are other things I would rather do, but I can't bring myself to take that risk with 2 kids(6 and 1). What would my dream job be? It would be a career student. I love to learn and wish I could just go to school full time. My ultimate goal in life, is to be on a documentary. Not the subject of one per se, but to just know so much about something, that I can make comments on it and have my name and title on the screen, lol.

Jason

13. JeremyLikness

What do you mean, take that risk with 2 kids? What is it exactly you are risking? I have two kids myself. Is it the money? Don't your kids deserve to have you doing what you dream and desire, and perhaps have more time to be with them?

Trust me, it's not a risk - it's the courage to freedom. We think we know what's best for our children - you know, pay the bills, get two cars, buy cable, have a big house, etc. What is REALLY worth while is for them to have time to spend with them.

Interesting fact:

95% of people would indicate that "work" is their highest priority if you looked at where they spend their time.

However, 95% of people would put "family" as what they perceive to be their top priority.

Hmmm ... bit of a disconnect?

You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish ... I know that when I made the decision to leave that position with that "solid income" etc, I was doing it all for my 4 1/2 year old daughter, teenaged son, and my wife. And when I stepped out of that office, my income probably dropped to 1/10th of what it was, but my kids became the richest kids on the block - you should have heard my daughter scream with excitement the first day I took her to school AND picked her up. It was amazing! And I learned the things we thought we "needed" - cable, multiple vehicles, etc - were simply material crutches to keep us stuck in the illusion of having to make more money and end up trading in more time for someone else and keeping us farther from our dream to be with each other.

Perhaps part of the reason it was not hard for me to make the change was because of my faith. Christ says His yoke is easy. There are probably about 2,000 verses in the bible that focus on God's wish for His children to tap into abundance and be happy. It took me awhile to realize it's okay to be afraid, to take risks, because no matter what may happen to riches here on Earth, I have Christ and the love of my family which is the greatest treasure of all. WOW what a ride! FREEDOM is WONDERFUL!

Jeremy

14. GM Enthusiast

GM Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Wow best post I've read in a very long time - what Jeremy had to say, that is. He is so right its scary, and its scary that he is right. I know what I eventually want to be doing, but if I do pursue the change, it will be very scary at first. I'm currently in the IT field also, just like so many of us are. I am definitely burned out from it, too. I've been doing it going on 10 years now. My current number one hobby is what I want to be doing though. That is building cars. I don't want to be one of those "master fabricators" that are on shows like OC Choppers or something, I want to build cars - awesome ones, fast ones. I enjoy putting together an engine that dynos a cool 500hp out of 2 liters and is still street legal. I enjoy taking a stock car and turning it into a show piece. But most of all I love putting it all together - building a car that is a perfect show piece, then dropping a monster engine into it, and blowing everyone away from stoplight to stoplight. Those that are "into" this obsession don't expect a small car that looks hot to also be fast.
    I am actually pursuing this more, so maybe in the future it will happen. I am currently taking welding classes - since that will be a must-know thing. If I don't pursue this as my career, it will still be good to know this stuff for a hobby. What I'm really looking for is an opportunity I can jump into and run with it. I don't have the ability to open my own shop at this point, so that will be the only way I can enter the field right now. I'm always looking for the opportunity, and I know a lot of people in the industry, so I feel that if that is what I need to be doing, the opportunity will come.

Oh yeah... this is post #150 for me :)

15. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

In a way, I feel pretty fortunate. I'm satisfied with my career, and, given the chance to go back and do it again, I'd still end up where I'm at. I have pretty long hours, which can be unpredictable, and am in the middle of a 2-year research project which is a means to an end, rather than a burning desire for knowledge. However, all the other parts of my life are great, and I will be back at 'real' work on the first Wednesday in August next year. I can't wait.

Andrew.

16. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

My husband quit his job a few weeks ago, and I've never been happier. :D He's a little worried about what the future holds, but, wow, the kids and I sure like him a lot better now that he's unloaded some of that stress he's been clenching for years.

He's in IT as well. I really hope for him to get into a different field (He'd be a natural financial advisor) but he's more comfortable with staying in his "chosen" field, so IT he will probably remain. :rolleyes:

17. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Jeremy I appreciate your post! Faith makes walking through life so much "easier", especially knowing this is not all there is!

I am enjoying my current career and I think it is really cool because I am able to help families accomplish a lot of things in their lives that we are talking about as I consult with them on finances. The time spent with family, providing good education for their kids and so many other things mentioned in these posts are the dreams that my clients have. I am blessed to have the tools help them assemble a gameplan to achieve those. We are not limited either in WHO we can help since we can help people with everything from simple budgeting, investing, income protection all the way to the estate planning process. My favorite thing about my company is that in the process I am able to accomplish my dreams and goals for my family since the more people I help, the closer my family gets to reaching our goals. It is a great feeling to know that if I help my clients win, that I will win as well. :claphigh:

Guava - If you all end up back in the states and your husband is interested in the Financial Advising PM me. We are hiring across the country and in Canada!

18. JeremyLikness

Wow - what an awesome crew here at John Stone Fitness! Love all of the replies - you all ROCK!

When the Legends Die,
    The Dreams End
    When the Dreams End
    There is No More Greatness

Never forget your dreams! - Korczak (sculptor of Crazy Horse monument)

Go confidently in the direct of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. - Thoreau

Hey, guys, let's start a software company in my garage - do you think we can make it work? - Bill Gates

Okay, so the last quote was contrived.

Jeremy