1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

If you ever used JSF BodyShop....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by John Stone, Dec 6, 2010.

1. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

More than 1,600 of you have BodyShop accounts, but the number of users who regularly use the site is a small fraction of that.

If you tried BodyShop and didn't like it, I'd really like to know why. Did you find the site slow? Buggy? Ugly? Unintuitive? Difficult to use? Something else?

Please be blunt with your comments. "The site sucks" won't help me much, so brief details explaining why you don't like the site would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I haven't used it much because it seems like I'd have to enter a bunch of info I've already put here, in Facebook, on other social networking sites, etc. I also stayed away because it was under construction and figured I'd go over there if it got up and running and everybody from here started to migrate.

These forums & the main site are like my favorite restaurant. It's not new or flashy and the menu's been the same for years. The staff know my name and what I like. I'm comfortable.

I'm also lazy and resist change. :nod:

PS: I haven't been doing much fitness-related stuff recently, either. :o

3. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

I started at inception but soon after started training with Mastover and as per the arrangemnt I wasn't able to disclose details of my training & nutrition plans so it seemed pointless adding anything else. I track my workouts in a paper journal and use calorieking( australian edition) to track food.
    It's a great concept and would use it under different circumstances.

4. probelia

probelia Active Member

Bodyshop does what it sets out to do, but I think the implementation lacked in the user experience department. It's an area that gets overlooked on a many a project, but it really is crucial to getting people to buy in to this way of doing things.

At work we spent about three months of internal time designing and developing something like bodyshop. We were lucky enough to interview and observe a range of people from olympic athletes, strength and conditioning coaches through to people like myself and other JSF users and the overwhelming conclusion was that paper and spreadsheets are the favourite approach for many when tracking workouts, nutrition and progress.

I think this might be why the users count is high but usage doesn't reflect this.

Yes the UI & UX could do with some attention, but it could just be that people find the initial investment to using something like bodyshop is just too much. Paper and pen and their own spreadsheet seems like a better option to them because the initial investment is more than perceived return.

Just to offer some actual feedback about the system, I found that I couldn't bend it to the way I work out. Over the past year I've trained with kettlebells and the olympic movements like cleans, snatches etc. It's difficult to get these into bodyshop without having to create a custom exercise - the initial investment is more than perceived return.

I also think it tries to do too much. The social aspect is a neat idea, but for many users they don't want to have to enter information again. So again the initial investment is more than perceived return.

I hope this helps in some way & keep up the good work.

The $grabbing fitness world needs people like you.

Jamie - aka Probelia.

5. Laneage

Laneage Well-Known Member

I agree with Probelia about the initial investment. I've set everything I need up on Fitday already, and I'm just too lazy to switch over. I felt it to be intuitive, but I never got around to using it as opposed to fitday. Old habits die hard I suppose.

6. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

I found it to be too "arthritic' and 'buggy".

I personally would rather have some kind of spreadsheet or page that could be incorporated into a person's fitness journal for exes,reps,weights, macros etc.etc.etc.

Cheers!......:)

7. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

This is it for me as well. I already have a working tracking system I'm happy with. Although I liked the features and vision, it didn't offer ME much new that I didn't already have x years of history put into.

8. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I signed up for my account mostly because I was curious and wanted to check it out, but I haven't used it. This isn't because I found anything wrong with it, but just generally, I tend not to use electronic media (of any kind) to track/monitor my fitness goals/progress.

One solution is to simplify. If there are a lot of features that people don't use, you might be able to eliminate them if it would make maintaining it easier. Maybe something like bodyspace on bb.com.....

9. Blinkbear

Blinkbear Well-Known Member

I like it. It does what I want it to do and that's track my stats and track my calories in my meals and figures macro percentages. The only thing I don't like about it is that it can be time consuming to do this and I can be quite the lazy procrastinator but that's on me lol. I don't like that I can't print out my workout/meals but oh well, I just scribble them down in a notebook. Bodyshop is the only one I've ever used as Fitday intimidated me and when I finally got over my intimidation of using calorie-tracking software I simply opted for John's version.

Only complaint would be the duplicates in the Servings drop-down menu and sometimes my macro percentages add up to more than 100% (wtf?).

Otherwise it's a decent piece of software IMO.

10. hatter

hatter Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

- The look and feel is heavy. The buttons and tabs seem a bit thick and the colors are dark in places. Some buttons are square and others are rounded. Some have space around the text and other buttons have text that starts/ends at the edges.

- Seems like there is a wide variety of fonts both in size and in font-family.

- The ads in the middle of the content draw my attention away from what I am looking for.

- There are some really nice (free) icon packs that may look better with the existing theme.

- The content seems a bit squished. Maybe removing the ad section on the left side and making the main content area wider would open things up.

- I checked the source code quickly... seems like there are a lot of html tables. This makes maintenance and redesigns difficult, the site is less accessible, etc.

- I recommend using a javascript framework (e.g. JQuery, extJS). A framework would eliminate some of the browser detection code that I saw.

A lot of my issues are look and feel related... I bet if you worked with an html/css designer, you could come up with a look and feel that is clean and easy to navigate.

11. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I don't really log my diet, but I do track nearly every work out. I don't, however, spend the time to come home after a work out and re-log my handwritten notes on my computer. I want to track my work outs once; and that is when I am doing them. If there was an easy way to log my work outs (and likewise for food if I tracked it) on my Android phone, iPod Touch, etc., there's a much higher likelihood I would use BodyShop. I realize that requires a ton more work to develop a mobile app and/or mobile website, but if other people are like me and would track their work outs and/or foods on the spot with their phones, it might lead to a much higher increase in usage than a web-based system requiring a computer to use it properly.

12. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

If it helps, I didnt sign up because I felt it would take a long time to get set up, and involve a lot of work putting all the info and finding out how to use it, lazy I know and possibly my perception is that it would be more effort that in reality it was, but thats how I saw it. If there was a setup wizard / walkthrough, I may go to it.

Also agree with the above, there is no way I would come back home from the gym, and copy my paper workout card onto a computer, so unless I can track my progress via some sort of App for my Iphone, its unlikely to interest me in that regard.

I also dont track things that strictly anymore. I actually think the concept itself would be very beneficial to someone who was, or to 2004 me. :D

13. matalo

matalo Well-Known Member

In theory, the site should be an excellent companion to my workout regime, but after trying to enter in my workouts, I found it much too tedious. As others have said before me, the required initial investment, in my opinion, is not worth the time since I have already done the work on a spreadsheet (including links to workouts).

I am sorry it has not worked out for you and I really wish I could utilize the site more, but I just can't.

14. Dorvaan

Dorvaan Well-Known Member

In this day and age, I'm all about tracking virtually everything on my phone (Android). I use MyFitnessPal.com app,currently. Does exactly what I need it to do, without any fluff. It instantly syncs to my online account when when I add anything on my phone (and vice versa). Now, if yours was set up like that, I would drop MFP, and use yours almost instantly.

That's my primary reason for not using it.

15. boots

boots Well-Known Member

John-

I use BodyShop weekly to track my weight and measurements. At this point, I don't track food, except for the macros and I keep training logs on paper.

It's a good tool for my limited purpose.

16. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

I thought it would be a pain to set up so I never did but recently I did and track every ounce that goes into my mouth. Yes, I have used fitday bu I thought I would try it and switch over. I love it! I make everything custom. I like how it tells me how many calories I have left and the pie chart. I have been using it for 3 weeks now and it really tightened up my diet! I'm the lowest today since May 2, 2007:tu: For me it works well! I'll be sad if it disappears:cry:

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I tried it a while back, but was not logging my workouts or eating. I recently started up using it regularly 'cause I needed to get back in to tracking my food.

I have used Fitday and DailyBurn. BodyShop has been easy for entering and finding custom foods and regularly used items, but the other sites had much larger food databases it seems. DailyBurn was cool in that it listed all user-entered food in the database, so it was very likely if I was looking for a specific brand of something, someone had already entered it.

Like others here, I don't re-enter my workouts from my hand-written notes. I probably should at least enter them into some sort of spread sheet or something for long term tracking, but I never have and can't see that changing.

I might use some sort of app to log workouts rather than pencil and paper in the future, when I have a smart phone, but at the moment, even an iPhone app would help me much.

I do prefer BodyShop to other nutrition sites simply because JSF is where I come for my fitness stuff, so it ends up being the one-stop-shop.

Jaer
    likes how easy it is to post the bar graph into the forums.

18. erictuley

erictuley Well-Known Member

I waited to sign up for it also. I did initially because I was reading that you would post your food logs in your bodyshop and not on the main page.

I found the on ramp process to be tedious - and the set up to be tedious. I also found it completely "defeating the purpose" to have to add someone as a buddy and then be accepted to see their logs, status, workout routines. That is the whole point... you are trying to get a glimpse of what is working for someone - or get inspired - and then try to relate it to your goals.

This is NOT necessary at bodybuilding.com's bodyspace. If I am looking at the closest version of what you are doing - it is a completely open view of those profiles.

Now a days I like my information in one place. Obviously John I want to see your program, your meal plan - If I want to see other's then searching the forum for subjects that interest me is the quickest way for me to get my information.

I just don't see myself using the bodyshop at all - especially if it is not a completely open view type of model.

19. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

I agree with many of the other comments. Signed up for it when it first came up, but found it cumbersome and it appeared to try and do too much. Like others I prepare my workouts on my computer then print them out. I like to put in notes as I work out to guide my next workout, so paper printouts work better for me. Same goes for entering body measurements. I just make up a chart specific to what I want to measure, then manually enter the results when I check in each week.

20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I cannot use Body Shop because I use this site mainly from my work computer, and Body Shop is blocked by Barricuda Spyware. :confused: I don't really follow why, since I have no problem with access to Johnstonefitness.com.