1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

If I Want to Do Weights Every Day ...

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by astroguy, Jun 20, 2012.

1. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Putting things succinctly, fell off wagon again, restarting, blah blah, yes, I'm pathetic, moving on.

Was at a party over the weekend surrounded by people who made me feel like Jabba the Hutt. I swore I'd work out daily for the next year so that when I go to the party next year, I'll be among those who are oggled.

I know that working out every day can be bad due to overtraining and your CNS needing time to recover. But in the past, I think part of my issue with weight lifting is that it wasn't every day and so I could always come up with some excuse that I could fit the 3x/week in starting the next day.

My 3-day split is back/biceps, chest/triceps, and legs/shoulders. I only have dumbbells, barbell, and weight bench (and pull-up bar if that matters). I'm thinking that perhaps I could fill in the off days with some core exercises, and was searching around and found this example. Is this reasonable? Basically, I think I need something that is a constant as opposed to "can do this any 3 days during the week" routine to help keep me going.

2. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Maybe I don't understand, but why do you believe you will workout everyday when you don't workout 3 days a week?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

3. astroguy

It's more getting back into a routine. It's much easier for me to not put things off if I do them every day. If I were to exercise daily as opposed to a generic "3x/week" even if it's established as M/W/F, I think I'll be better able to form the habit again.

4. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

I actually understand this completely. It's easier to develop a habit if it is done everyday. I have 2 pieces of advice:

1. This is the better option: lift 3x/week and then the other days go to the gym and do other things...cardio, stretching, yoga, exercise classes..etc. That way you are still doing some activity and developing the habit of going to the gym without the consequences of overtraining.

2. If you MUST lift everyday (for whatever reason), keep your weekly volume in check. So if you would normally do the split you stated and lets say your total WEEKLY volume for chest is 10 sets and you did them all in that one workout (eg...chest/triceps); make sure that your new workout only has 10 sets total for chest by the end of the week. So if you end up working chest twice that week because you're training everyday, do no more than 5 sets per workout. In fact, 2-3 sets would be even better to help counteract overstimulation to the CNS and organs.

5. astroguy

Thanks. Perhaps a small complication is that I don't go to a gym, I do it in my apartment (that's where my weights are set up ... I'm MUCH more likely to do it if I don't have to go anywhere). Of course, that also presents its own distractions, but that's a different issue. But it also means there's less of an excuse. But it also means that it's the weights that need to be in the habit, since the act of going somewhere being the habit isn't in the picture.

I'm in the market for a new bicycle pump, and then I'll be back to doing cardio, as well.

Thanks for the info in your second point. :)

6. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I do 3 days heavy lifting splits like you (MWF), and do other things on the other days.

Toss in some cardio or some lighter recover lifts. Grab a yoga video, get that bike out, use a foma roller (if you are experiencing the DOMS) or go for a walk. Or just sit down and meditate for 30-40 minutes.

Even if you are just lifting 3 times a week, keep that block of time available every day do focus on doing something good for you, something that moves you in the right direction health-wise.

And never put off until tomorrow doing something to improve yourself.

Jaer
    does believe meditating on fitness can be helpful. Training your mind and emotions can assist in training your body.

7. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Exercises that kill the CNS are the big compounds....done too frequently and too heavy.

'Iso's' and isolation exes are not that bad on the CNS generally.

You COULD develop a split routine that lets you work out,say,5 times a week.

BUT......you need to think of how to arrange all the exes over a 2 week period.

AND....you need to know how to put it all together so you aren't overtraining any muscle or muscles.

It can be done.......but you have to really think about what you're doing.

8. astroguy

Would I be killing myself if I were to do just core stuff without weights (perhaps a very few lightly weighted) on off days? Concentrating on things like side crunches, planks, bridges, etc? Basically making a very light workout out of exercising those central muscles.

9. Gothgirl

Gothgirl Active Member

Do you enjoy doing "core work"? There's a growing school of thought that "bunches of crunches" aren't really effective at strengthening the core. It makes sense when you think about it in terms of progressive resistance training, where lots of reps at low weight will develop muscular endurance but not strength. (I can see some value in doing planks, though - they're challenging in ways that crunches just aren't.) If you actually like doing that type of exercise, it might be fine, but if you're doing it just because you think you need to "work the core", you might be just spinning your wheels.

You don't get specific about what types of exercises you do for your split, but if you're doing heavy compound lifts you may be getting adequate core strengthening work already, since a solid core is absolutely integral to those lifts. I alternate strength training with so-called power yoga. The usual sequence at the studio I go to includes some "core work" that consists mainly of variations on crunches and leg lifts. That part is not challenging for me (though I'm not a fan of "the burn"); meanwhile, other studio regulars will be moaning and groaning after a few minutes of it.

I tend to think that doing some other type of exercise on non-lifting days may be a better approach. That way you get to keep your daily fitness appointment with yourself, and you avoid monotony and ruts. Also, if you mix it up with some fun exercising (getting out on your bike or whatever makes your socks go up and down) you'll be more likely to stay on that wagon.

10. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I agree.

One reason people with bellies get sore backs is the abs aren't strong enough and that puts stress on the back.

Things like deadlifts work the whole package.Front and back. If your core wasn't getting stronger with higher weights you'd have an alien moment with the baby alien shooting out of you.

11. HevyMetal

"Planks" are a very good exercise for working the Transverse Abdominus....which ordinary crunches don't do.

If I could only do one ab ex , it would be the Plank (and some of it's variations)

I find that core work enhances lifts.....but not vice versa.

I've deadlifted and squatted ad nauseum, and it didn't do anything spectacular for my abs.

Of the entire litany of ab exercises out there, about 90% of them are not ab exercises specifically but instead are workouts for the Psoas muscles.....and tend to aggravate the lower back if overdone.

There's dozens of ab exes on YouTube...and.....other sites that are supposedly reputable.
    Most of them are a waste of time ....and as I said , focus too much on the muscles that run up through your thigh and connect to your lower back. In these moves the abs are secondary.

The Roman Chair Situp is one example.

Although Pavel Tsatsouline endorses them...even he admits there is a specific way to do them but just about everybody get's it wrong.

On off days you can do 'recovery" reps and exes which are the same as heavily weighted exes.
    But you DON'T use very much weight at all........and you go for much higher rep sets.

If you do not weight your ab exes you can do them every day.

12. HevyMetal

Intensity and weightload determine how often in a given time frame you can work out. (Such as wanting to work out everyday).

There are programs such as "bodyweight only" that allow everyday workouts. (5BX for one).

If you lift a heavy-enough weight.....you damage the muscle fibers and must "recover".....which equals "off"days.

If you lift lighter weights that do not challenge/rip certain fibers......many can be done everyday.

For instance:- if I do broomstick squats, I can quickly reach a point where I could do them everyday. No load.....just bodyweight.

If I started weighting them.....using extremely small weight increments...I could, for awhile, be doing them everyday.

But...at some point the weight will become "too much" to do everyday.....unless I only stay within a certain weight parameter that allows me everyday use.

Gymnasts often work out frequently and daily to a degree.

So do cyclists.

But don't forget they are not "loading".....they are using bodyweight.

When it comes to "progressive" weight lifting on a fixed-schedule program, you are damaging muscle fibers (which is the name of the game for growth).

Therefore you need to "recover" with off days.

You can still look good, build some muscle,lose weight, by using a program that gives you daily activity/muscle stimulation.

I've seen people who looked "beach-body" great just using 5BX.

Many roads lead to Rome....and there are many ways to get there.

But if you are ripping Type2A or Type2B fibers with constant upping of weight.......you need to "recover".

So it all comes down to frequency,intensity, duration and poundage of weight that determines whether you will lift everyday or not.

13. astroguy

I'll say thanks to everyone who's offered feedback and now point to this thread :).

14. HevyMetal

Well...in that thread I don't see anything inherently wrong at a quick glance.

You are doing some ab work on your off days for core.

No problem.......unless you go gung-ho on the ab/core work and start using bigger and bigger weights with them.

It's like anything else............if I bench max today I won't be able to do it every day for the rest of the week.

However if I cut the weight to way less...I could bench every, doing "farmer's workouts"....where the weight is such that it is work but not anywhere near heavy enough to rip up muscle.
    Or.....I could do pushups every day etc/etc/etc.

If I was powerlifting......I could lift more frequently....but I wouldn't be going out there to rip muscle ...and.....my reps/sets would be way less.

The old adage "you can lift long...you can lift heavy.....but you can't lift long and heavy" is true.

Programs like P90X will have you exercising daily.......but again, in this, lifting huge weights is not a requirement.