1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for John thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by akm3, Jul 29, 2009.

1. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

John,

Ways to leverage the site into a livable wage without compromising principles.

1) Become your own personal web trainer, specializing in flabby IT people. (You need to work the details that make you special for IT people).
    Downside: You are directly competing with some of your site sponsors.

2) Motivational speaking / book writing / etc.
    Downside: This isn't something you could immediately turn into large income

Others should add other ideas.

I think this might be a blessing in disguise. This might be your big sign it is time to strike out on your own, start your own business and work for yourself. You give up the security of a '9 to 5' (and trust me, I understand your anxiety right now) but you potentially could be much happier, much more successful and build the John Stone brand into something known much farther and wider (and profitabler.)

I have no doubt that once you can step back and analyze your options (options are what dissapates anxiety) you will realize you are awesome, marketable, valuable, and have no reason to be stressed out.

-Allen

#1 akm3, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

This is an option that is looking more and more attractive to me. I've been brainstorming (and have had some awesome ideas suggested to me--thank you!), and the the possibilities are very exciting.

I seriously doubt that I can become self-sufficient before my job goes away (unless somehow my company survives for a while longer), but this JSF where my passion is and, damn it, I should pursue it!

3. carddante

carddante Well-Known Member

Professional Poker player. Of course then you'd have to wear your shorts on your head all the time.

It could be your thing...like sunglasses.

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I'm actually cool with that. :lol:

Are you offering to stake me? :D

5. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I have been thinking the same thing. :)

I'll post if I have any ideas...

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think it will be tricky to build into a business model. When I think of JSF, I think of "helping people help themselves," by providing a nurturing environment.

I think there is room to scale back on the content/features that are offered for free, and, to a lesser degree, enhance the content/features for paying members. But I don't think that would be enough to make a significant impact in your income generation.

I don't know anything about gambling laws, but this could be awesome:
    John Stone Recomposition Competitions.
    Challenge entrants pay an entry fee, and post their before shots in a challenge thread. Set measurable win definition or process.
    Observers put their money on their favorites. Establish odds, if necessary.
    Wait 12 weeks.
    Winner selected. Winning entrant, plus all who have put their money on him collects his winnings. You take a cut on all bets and a percentage of each entry fee. :D

(I thought of this whole thing as a joke, but isn't this idea a lot like a hybrid of the Body for Life Challenge and American Idol?) :spaz:

7. BusyChild

BusyChild Well-Known Member

There is always barber college :D

8. sodomojo

sodomojo Active Member

You could always freelance, or be a contractor for small business that need help with their IT needs, and possibly expand that a bit and help people with their pc's, advertising on craigslist, and what not.

9. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

If you are willing to move to "Wild, Wonderful West Virginia", I am interviewing people for an IT position starting today. :D

10. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

I would bet John would sooner die. :nope:

11. RoyPardo

RoyPardo Well-Known Member

Please.... Fitness Podcasts with guests.....

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

There have been some great ideas here, thank you all! I'm going to be putting some serious thought into these, and other ideas. :nod:

I should have mentioned that relocating is not possible for me right now (for a variety of reasons).

13. Chadster

I was being rather tongue-in-cheek ( :D ) but it was meant as a compliment. :nod:

The fitness route should be lucrative and potentially less headaches than IT. It presents the age-old question though - do you take something that you "enjoy" and make it your "livelihood".

14. Chadster

:confused: Really now? I'm forever a Buckeye but I will say this - West Virginia is very financially stable. West Virginia is the butt of a lot of jokes at work (I work in WV) but in this economy it gets the last laugh.

15. akm3

akm3 Well-Known Member

I didn't mean it to imply WV was bad, but rather I believe Mr. Stone's heart is firmly rooted in warm and sunny Flordia.

Of course, I don't actually *KNOW* him, but that is the impression I get from reading and learning for so many years.

16. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Well-Known Member

I have run a fairly popular web site since 1999 and I can tell you the only way to make money is through ads. Memberships just aren't enough and I'm sure John already knows this from his own forum memberships here. Even if you offer some perks, most people don't want to spend the money and will go elsewhere for similar content that is free.

Having said all that, I'm with John in regards to hating the harassing ads that are so popular these days. Even his main page I cannot stand due to all the ads, irregardless if they don't pop up or dance across my screen. I made a decision long ago to stick with one sponsor and have one ad at the top of my site. The downfall to that is I get just enough money to cover the hosting of the site and nothing more. But I run my site more out of love and really have no interest to profit from it.

As the owner of a web site, I understand the frustration. People hate ads but don't want to pay for the content either. Age old problem.

I guess the point of my rant is that it would be very difficult, to near impossible, for John to make a living from this web site. He could certainly make more if he compromises his principles (while sacrificing some readers) and puts up more ads, but even that isn't going to be enough.

I wish you the best, John. My suggestion is to pursue opportunities with the site on a part time basis but still get a regular full time job.

17. trogdor

trogdor Well-Known Member

Fitness model. Problem solved. You can thank me when you're raking in the millions.

But seriously, have you ever considered writing fitness articles? Even with the time you've taken off over the years, you have well over 2000 daily updates, many of them with good information, suggestions, and motivational techniques. I'd say that's enough to make you a writer. A lot of people know about you, BB.com featured your transformation, and you've inspired countless others. I don't know, something to think about.