1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I want to be stronger. For example...

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by gravityhomer, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I'm sticking with :cry:. I have trouble enough with 20 reps. Even if my arms didn't want to fall off I think 30 would make me explode :lol:

2. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I want to thank people for all the comments and opinions here. I have to take it all in and digest it.

For completeness below is my current routine and approximate nutrition. For the short term I think I am going to go with my current routine and focus on breaking any mental barriers I may have for heavier weight. Then I can see if this is a problem. I wouldn't really be able to tell this, if I switched everything around immediately.

In addition I am going to try to target areas that I believe are weak by giving them extra work. I believe that my weak areas are hamstrings, triceps and my core.

My current routine: which evolved over the past 3 weeks.

Chest and back
    Incline DB bench press
    Bent over DB rows
    Decline DB bench press
    BB deadlift
    Cable chest fly
    Face pull

Legs and abs
    BB Squats to parallel
    BB SLDL
    DB lunges
    Standing calf raises in smith machine
    Leg raises
    Crunches

Arms and Shoulders
    DB seated press
    BB skull crushers on flat bench
    DB standing curls
    DB bent over raises for rear delt
    Tricep cable pulldown with angled bar
    BB standing curls with reverse grip
    BB standing raises. Pulling a barbell held at the waist straight up .
    Dips

A snapshot of my nutrition:
    kashi cinna-raisen crunch with skim milk
    1.5 scoop opticen shake in water
    banana
    1.5 scoop opticen shake in water
    a sandwich consisting of whole wheat bread lettuce, tomato and turkey or tuna
    large grapefruit
    some sort of dinner, fish w/ veg, or soup (turkey and chicken and tofu w/ veg) or chicken w/ veg, etc.
    dark chocolate w/ peanut butter (small serving)
    2 hard boiled eggs

Portions would be consisted with cutting I suppose.

3. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

cool, journaling always helps me stay on track. Yeah that was pretty funny when carguy said that. :lol:

4. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Don't worry I think maybe Chris was just slyly letting slip his bench press numbers. ;)

At the moment, no.

Yes, I guess there is very little chance of that, sorry :lol:

I think I am going to find this out soon. I wouldn't want to just continue on in the same manner if I had a weakness that I wasn't addressing.

5. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

I agree. I do have a goal of wanting to be stronger, although I do not have an equal goal of wanting to look bigger.

I would say my goals are this:

Aesthetically
    To look fit and have good muscle definition and low body fat. The absolute size isn't that important but I would want to look proportional.

Functionally
    I want to be stronger for several reasons. A few months ago I was giving my wife a piggy-back ride. Then later a friend of hers got on her back and then I tried to put them both on my back. The starting point was basically the bottom of an ATG squat, and it was maybe 210 pounds. I couldn't do it. I was crushed. silly story I know. But I work out, I should be able to do this. Also many movies, books tv shows feature post apocalyptic non-technological worlds where strength is a plus. I need to be ready for this.

Thanks for giving me some kind of numbers rtestes, even if they are rough, it will still give me something to compare to.

6. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

OK these are the step up sets:

When I do an exercise that alternates (and these did, but maybe I should have explicitly noted that), I coulnt all the reps as one set. So in these sets, there were 25, 60, and 60, step ups with the left leg, each followed by a step up with the right leg.

The barbell weight can be determined because there is a pound sign (#) after it. So the first set of 50 alternating step ups was done with at 125# barbell, and the other two sets of 120 step ups was done with the 85# barbell.

In both the barbell step-ups and the barbell Bulgarians I did, the barbell is mounted from the floor - cleaned and pressed overhead to the shoulders, and dismounted to the floor - pressed and lowered. This is because there is no rack in the gym that makes sense to use for this exercise, otherwise I could go quite a bit higher on the step ups and somewhat higher on the Bulgarians.

Note that the Bulgarians do not alternate, so the set descriptions:

Mean that the first set was 5x145# on the left leg and 5x145# on the right leg, but without dismount or rest, and then the next two sets indicate 10x145# on the left leg, then 10x145# on the right leg, 10x165# on the left leg, then 10x165# on the right leg.

Now sort of here was my point in mentioning yesterday's set. In the last 10x165# on the right leg, the heart rate monitor shows:

124 Calories in 1 minute of exercise and 6 minutes rest
    Maximum heart rate: 180
    Average heart rate: 149

Then the next set of 50x125# step-ups we have:

137 Calories in 3:20 exercise, 6 minutes rest
    Maximum heart rate: 184
    Average heart rate: 152

OK so which one was cardio and which was strength exercise? They are actually pretty similar from the cardio point of view.

And I claim they are pretty similar from the strength point of view - they were similarly tough on the glutes. The fact that the load was lighter in the step ups is more than compensated by the extra muscle fibers recruited through fatigue. The toughest sets I did in that workout from a "perceived effort" point of view were the long step-ups. Sure the first few feel like nothing, but right around 90 it starts to get after you pretty good.

7. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

I want to be stronger, but I don't necessarily need to look stronger.

I appreciate the challenge. Can I not do this with my current routine? But I will consider it when I change my routine which I am sure I will do in not too much time.

8. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Zen, maybe you guys can take the discussion to a new thread?

9. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

So you're not getting it. OK.

10. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

I'm not sure what you mean. but the reason I asked is because it's a pretty long detailed post on your workout, which you are explaining for someone who asked about it. I'm 100% positive that someone will have a further question on something you wrote and so it's probably best to go to a new thread than continue it here. I was not trying to be a smart ass.

11. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I've been looking into "Fighting Gravity" since you started this thread and there are no new reps in it for days. The point of me taking mastover's bait about cardio and using the details of my most recent workout, which has some notable work in it, is that I don't have to look back very far in the journal to see some good work.

That's the advantage of having a detailed journal so that you can prove to yourself that you are putting some miles between you and your starting point.

The way you started this thread - with a pretty detailed set of weights for lifts - would not be a bad thing to have in your journal over time. It's a lot easier to become confident in your ability to become stronger if you collect some evidence.

I actually don't care what particular program you settle on. To the extent that you are not strong now, lots of stuff can make you stronger.

You won't know until you do the reps, and also track them in your journal though. It's OK to have weight measurements in the journal, but for strength you have to start getting some lifts in there.

12. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

I agree. :blank: That's why I've kept a real life journal for weight lifting for the past 3 years. I have all the sets, reps, weights and exercises for every workout I have ever done since I began weightlifting in Feb. 2004 recorded in a spiral bound notebook that I take to the gym with me. So that when I am there I can look back at the last time I did any exercise and see how it went. I also record any comments about the workout on form or how I felt. I mention this in post 9 of this thread.

I don't typically put that information in my on-line journal because I personally don't have a need to.

So I am quite aware of the progress or lack of progress that I have made.

#72 gravityhomer, Jan 13, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Partly. Partly I was just taking mastover's bait for comedy value. Almost nothing anyone ever does is exclusively for one purpose.

But the fact remains that you are the one who is not satisfied with your strength, despite years of lifting and careful documentation.

Either you have a medical condition (hormones? I don't know, that would be one for a doctor) or else there is something about your workout history that does not add up.

14. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Ok, so anyway...

Do you want to keep this routine? I think you can get strong with it, but I could honestly think of better splits to suit your goals. At the least I think I'd separate chest and back, especially if you plan to bench and deadlift in the same week.

Does it need to remain a 3-day split?

This isn't exactly an "unclean" diet but I do think you should adjust it.

I'd probably throw out all the cereal and the chocolate. The Opticen can stay but I'd probably opt to use it only once per day and add Nitrean or another protein blend to the mix, but mix that protein blend with other foods (oats, peanut butter, heavy cream, and maybe flax once in a while).

Thos are just some very general thoughts. I'm still thinking about it.

Also, what are your goals as far as bodyfat is concerned? Are you okay with adding some bodyweight over the next few months? Or would you rather attempt to gain strength while bodyfat is reduced (or at least maintained as much as possible)?

15. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

No I definitely am not married to it, I've only done it for one solid cycle. Nor do I need to keep it 3 days. what do you have in mind, in terms of partitioning the body parts.

how about:
    day 1 - legs
    day 2 - chest, abs
    day 3 - back, shoulders
    day 4 - arms

or some reordering of that.

:eek:
    woah, woah, let's not be too hasty here. :D The cereal is bound to me and I to it. it's my favorite food. But I am willing to go without sometimes. What would you substitute? What if I added 2 hard boiled eggs along with it?

Now the chocolate. it's dark, so it good for me right :blank: . This is a mental compromise. m&m's is my all time favorite candy and in order to avoid having it I have been having, a very small serving of dark chocolate (60% cocao, 140 calories) with some PB.

no problem I have Nitrean too, and actually mis up which one I take. The oats you say are, the dry oats right? Do you have a specific brand to start me off? And it just gets poured right in the shake no prep right? Never did the flax thing, but I will.

Right now I want to lose body fat. As I just put a bunch on. I guess I wouldn't mind adding body weight as long as it looked good on me. But no, I think for my present goal right now I want to get back to a lower body fat percentage. Then I will be working to maintain. Then in the future I could add mass if it is needed to get stronger.

I'm actually pretty happy with my size. I'm not big at all, but I am far from a pipsqueak. I certainly don't feel that I meet the classic, you need to bulk, answer. But I must be able to gain in strength even without bulking right? or maybe not.

My hamstrings are weak, need these to get stronger. Will only work by eating more? I definitely wouldn't mind maintaining in order to get stronger.

16. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

You're not going to believe this, or maybe you don't want to hear it, but your "problem" or goals are the number one thing guys want to achieve. Exactly as you described it. Most never attain it. Ever. Yet it's the easiest to attain. Not to repeat myself from an earlier post here, but there's nothing complicated in ultimately getting what you outlined. People just think it's complicated and difficult.

Yup, you gotta clean up the diet first - eliminate the junk and replace with lean proteins and clean carbs. Combine that with a progressive weight training program. Just imagine what transformation your physique would go through if you added 5 lbs to your squat and deadlift each week for the next 6 - 9 months. Let's say you added 130 lbs to each exercise at the end of 9 months. Do you think that your strength levels would be the same as they are now? Do you know what kind of impact all that muscle would have on your metabolism? With no exageration, I'd go out on a limb and say that you'd drop a ton of bodyfat, have a better V taper, wider shoulders, more defined and dimensional body, along with a ton of newfound energy AND strength. An all-inclusive with no unnecessary bulking/cutting scenarios or routines where only a NASA scientist would understand.

All it takes is commitment, perseverance, determination, and will. Do you have these attributes? I'm betting Yes :tu:

17. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Okay I think it is starting to sink in now. I feel like Neo in the first matrix, "I know what you're trying to do." And you guys say, "You're faster than this, stop trying to hit me and hit me."

Ok I'm in. Is it this simple? I just add five more pounds to each exercise each week and eat right? This is it? Ok, I'll do it.

18. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

You won't be able to increase the load with every excercise every week.

I suggest you also go with an upper/lower split and after every 4 weeks change your excercise selections. Mostly just using different varations.

eg.
    Flat BB press - Flat DB press

19. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

OK, I can feel your excitement here bud, but let's be reasonable LOL...

Not to EVERY exercise, but the prime, multi-joint exercises - mainly SQUATS and DEADLIFTS

20. gravityhomer

Lifetime Platinum Member

Oh, yeah, I only meant those two. Still before, I would not have thought that I could just simply add 5 pounds a week to my deadlift and squat. But I will give it a shot. Good thing my gym has 2.5 pound plates.