1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

i think i reached a plateau! HELP!

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by remix122, Jun 16, 2009.

1. remix122

remix122 Active Member

Hi everyone.

its been 11weeks in from the start of my journey.(im 5,10) i started at 214 and am down to 192. (22 pound loss). In the beginning, i did cardio 7 days a week which was mostly an hour of elliptical. i did this for about 3 weeks to get my body used to working out again. for the nex serveral weeks up to this point , ive been incorporating weights. first it was just a total body workout twice a week to a 3 day split ( legs/abs, back/biceps, and chest/tri) Ive been cutting down my cardio to only 3 times a week and only for 20-30 minutes a session.

As for my diet, its been pretty much the same. Im not one to really get too too strict on diet. I been eating mostly clean foods. homemade with good fats. heres a sample of what i eat daily. I also drink about 3-4 litres of water a day.

m1 8am= subway tuna sandwich
    m2 10am= celeryw/pb or a banana with yogurt
    m3 1230pm= turkey sandwich with fruit/or salad
    m4 430pm= (this is usually my dinner) homemade filipino food consiting of mostly veggies and fish with 1 1/2 cups of rice.
    m5 830pm=post workout shake (protien with banana and 2% milk)

this comes out roughly to 1950-2050 calories.

does anyone have any recomendations? should i just be patient>? right now, im trying to stick with just lifting. not to say that im bored of cardio but i remember someone saying " the more cardio you do to lose weight, the more u need to do to keep it off"

any help/comments would be appreciated!

2. Bt443407

Bt443407 Active Member

1. Are you simply ignoring your shoulders? If you want any kind of symmetry you need to be lifting those as well!

2. You answered your own question.

"As for my diet, its been pretty much the same"

This is why you have reached a plateau.First, you aren't tracking what you are eating. You are eating a subway tuna sandwich (hopefully 6 inches)..is it on whole wheat? Does the tuna have mayo in it? You are also eating a turkey sandwich at lunch. Too much bread IMO. Eat a lower GI carbohydrate like broccoli with your turkey. Track everything you eat, and your macronutrients, for 1 week and see if it makes a difference.

3. Concerning your diet again, have you been eating 2000 calories ever since you were 214 pounds? You may have set your calories too low to begin with. I'm 167 pounds and I still lose weight on 2300 calories. If this is the case, try incorporating some HIIT instead of elliptical to speed up your metabolism. Take shorter breaks in between sets at the gym and get a sweat going. All of these different techniques will "shock" your body. Try a cheat meal once a week.

Good luck!
    Brian

3. remix122

remix122 Active Member

thanks for your input brian :)

to answer your question, yes i do shoulders too. i incorporate that in my chest workout. also i might add that ive incorporated squats and deadlifts in my workout plan the past month.

i will try to take your recomendation of tracking everything i eat for a week and see if i need to up my calories. I dont neccesarily eat sandwiches for breakfast and lunch. i switch it up with eggwhites w red potatoes/mixed veggies for breakfast.

also about HITT. i do that too about twice a week. i do it on the elliptical for about 15 minutes(30 sec all out and 45 secs-60 rest alternating) i really wanna get away losing weight without cardio. what else would help in that?

since you said my calories are low, do u recomend me upping that?

4. Bt443407

Bt443407 Active Member

Well, look at it this way. If you are stuck and you haven't progressed, something has to change. Based on what you are telling me, it sounds like your exercise routine is good. Squats and deadlifts (the bigger, compound movements), along with isolated movements are your best bet. I would try adding cardio immediately after a weight lifting session, make sure you have a day off, too. Make sure your HIIT sessions are at maximum intensity, you should feel sick after doing them, otherwise you aren't doing it correctly. Are you sure you aren't going above the 2000 calories you think you are eating? Sometimes if you measure portions wrong it can throw off your calories by up to 500 more than you think you are eating. If you are sure you are eating 2000, try upping it to 2200 calories, and making sure you go extra hard on the weights/cardio.

To give you an idea of where you stand, based on your height and weight, (and estimated age of 25), if you do moderate to heavy exercise 3-4x a week, which it sounds like, you are able to lose 1 lb a week on 2400 calories. I am 5'10, 167, 20 years old, and I can still lose 1 lb a week eating 2300 calories. So, that gives you an idea of how much more you should be eating. I think I eat more than that, and because I do so much activity during the week, I can still lose weight.

So, trying changing your calories up a bit, make sure you get 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, 1 gallon of water a day, etc.

Hopefully some of this helps!

5. remix122

remix122 Active Member

thanks again brian :)

i am actually 29 and my goal weight is at around 170-175. i will definitely try doing the HIIT after my weight workouts. As you said, i do need a change. I actually want to get more done in the gym in less days than i was going. i currently go 7 days a week and feel like i dont have time for my family so maybe compressing things cardio/weight training will help. I have decided next week i will just do a 4 day a week weight/HIIT cardio.

As far as food i already have started today to write down everything ive eaten. this is something i really didnt want to do becuz i dont want to be obsest with all the details but i guess thats what i have to do to get off this plateau.

do u recomend splitting body parts or is it better to do a total body workout?

also after good leg workout where your pretty beat, does anyone do HIIT after that? for even 10-15 minutes?

all input is appreciated.

6. Bt443407

Bt443407 Active Member

Unfortunately, you're going to get the best results if you track what you eat.

You can do either a full body routine or a split - its completely up to you. People have great results with both. I personally do a split because I can focus on the certain muscle groups more than trying to cram them all in one session, but that's just my preference. 7 times a week in the gym seems like an awful lot to me. I hope you aren't training 7 straight days, and especially not doing a full body routine 7 days in a row! Your muscles need to rest.

In terms of HIIT after weight training, if you can do that, congratulations. For me, I am usually exhausted after I train, and I can't even begin to think of doing HIIT. I am just talking simple cardio - like a 10/15 minutes fast paced jog. I do HIIT on my off days from the gym. So, I guess this answers your question about cardio after leg day. I personally don;t do any cardio that day, because my legs usually feel like jello after my workout :tu:

Brian

7. ms3jake

ms3jake Active Member

Try using fitday to track your calories.

8. dstaver

dstaver Well-Known Member

How do you know you've reached a plateau? How long has it been since you lost weight the last time?

Weight lost is rarely linear. On my diet I've experienced periods of up to three weeks where I lost nothing, and then suddenly i lose 2-4 pounds very quickly.

9. remix122

remix122 Active Member

well, ive been stuck at 194-193 for almost 2 weeks. i was consistantly losing weight the weeks before this. Im guessing my body just got used to my cardio routine and ive changed my schedule to lean toward more weight training than cardio. but i suspected that diet played a big role and something need to changed as everyone noted.

so for the past couple days i have been keeping track of my food intake and recording on fitday. i actually was eating way too many carbs and my macros ended up to be 60%carbs,25% protein, and 15%fats. Now with my revised eating, my macros are a bit more level 45/35/20. Also calorie intake is a bit more. to 2300 cal.Ive also focused more on HIT on the elliptical. Doing spurts of 45secs all out and 90 secs rest. i do that for about 23 minutes. im pretty beat after this and i did this on one of my off days from weight training and after my back day.

This morning i weight in at an even 190lbs. (2pounds lesser than tuesdays 192) so hopefully this is a good sign.

m1 8am= scrambled eggs (6 eggs with only 2 yolks) and 1 cup brocoli and fish oil capsule
    m2 10am= celeryw/pb or a banana with yogurt
    m3 1230pm= tuna sandwich w/ salad
    m4 230pm= 1 cup yogurt or some nuts
    m4 445pm= (this is usually my dinner) homemade filipino food consiting of mostly freshveggies and fish or lean meat/chicken with 2 cups of "brown" rice.
    m5 7pm= small banana,l-glutamine capsule
    m6 830pm=post workout shake(nitrean+water)
    m7 945pm= 5oz cottage cheese

thanks guys for the advice. if theres anymore you would suggest, please do tell :)

(it would be so nice to hit the 180 ish mark soon,. last time i was 180 was in highschool! 11 years ago.)

#9 remix122, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009