1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I need Words (Tattoo Idea)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by UnkindLoving, Mar 18, 2006.

1. UnkindLoving

UnkindLoving Well-Known Member

I've decided that sometime after i turn 18 (may 12th) and before summer is over- i'm going to get a tattoo on the left side of my lower back.

I wanted it to be simple at first- i still might want it that way. Just a word. Something that can potentially Look pretty as well as having a good meaning behind it.
    It doesnt matter if its an adjective or a noun or any sort of word. It also doesnt matter if it is in another language- id prefer things like spanish, italian, or french if that is the case.

In any case, id appreciate it if people would help me gather some good words. :)
    --------------------

I have another concept that isnt just one word, but a few. I was thinking of having the infinity symbol in the same place- but having a few words written inside of it. Maybe in a dark red; blending more into the symbol than standing out. Then across the middle of the infinity symbol having "Eternal" written in a color that stands out a little more than black or dark red.

Suppose im just looking for opinions on that. :p.

2. Omaha

Omaha Well-Known Member

Latin. Always the best choice.

3. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

NEVER ask advice for tattoo art. If you don't know what you want, DON'T get it. Trust me on this.

4. johnyboy

johnyboy Well-Known Member

Interesting idea. Trying to figure out how that would look. Could you sketch it and paste it in?

And why eternal?

Also, what's going to stand out against black and dark red? Except maybe an electric blue or pink? And I don't think those would give a good effect.

5. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

my favorite word is guava.:) Exotic enough to be interesting, but not so weird it's intimidating.

To think of someone tatooing me, I wouldn't want more than a few letters on my body. It must hurt a lot. So, if I were you, I'd stick to a word instead of a phrase.

You might get some ideas by googling "favorite word". I found three sites devoted to it:
    here (a message board. First reply is by someone with a tatoo in her avatar.
    here (a blog)
    here (A whole darned website, alphabetized and all!)

I paid $25 for an engraved wooden plaque to mount on my weight room wall that says
    strength
    I'd like to also get
    wisdom
    happiness
    pleasure

After skimming through those above links, these are my favorite words. Some might make cool tattoos:

genuine
    trust
    yes
    perhaps
    because
    eccentric
    brilliant
    miasma
    epiphany
    serendipity
    synergy
    whimsy

I seem to have a fondness for y. :confused:

6. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

I don't have tat's but I gotta think this is great advice.

there is one word in Latin though that is one of the greatest ever penned:

Veritas

7. UnkindLoving

This is a Horrid thing of it- but it gets the idea across. It's going to be more so flat if i really desire it (i think im starting to be hellbent on it). So the words wont go all weird like they are in the shoddy thing i made.
    [​IMG]

I really enjoy the word "eternal" for some reason. It just seems like the opposite of everything that is. In a way it makes a lot of sense for a good number of different reasons. Certainly in life- as the ongoing process of things, and in love in itself.

Hm.. my SO suggested green. It's also his favorite color- and im alright with it. I could dig a bright red (the normal is supposed to be deep red so its only very visible up close).

--------------------------------

and thankyou guava! That really helps a lot.^.^
    My SO intends to come with me- so ill have him to cry to if its too much :p.
    y words are great, by the way. I tend to have a thing for 'e' words.

8. lordkovacs

lordkovacs Well-Known Member

antidisestablishmentarianism

longest word I believe... though, would be quite challenging to tattoo. I have "Pax Deorum", latin for "Peace of the Gods". I studied Greek/Roman history, so I designed a pretty cool tattoo around that theme... it takes up most of my upper left arm.

I think you should find some things you are interested in, then read up on them in scholarly journals. THey will use Greek/Latin for the origin of the idea and then you can take from that...just a thought.
    Good luck... do post a pic afterwards!

Cheers.

9. lordkovacs

COMPLETELY agree. Took me a long ass time to design the ones that I have. My first one I didnt' care for and took a lot of $$$ to get it the way I want. I think you need to be really passionate about whatever it is, or you risk getting bored of it, or eventually regretting it. Take your time, as doordude alluded to.

10. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

I think DD is right, but if you're talking about words as tattoos the actor Janeane Garofalo has "THINK" tattooed on her arm. I always thought that was kind of cool (though I would never do it myself).

James Frey also has an interesting tattoo: FTBSITTTD, which stands for "Fuck the bullshit, it's time to throw down."

11. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Actually, the word "floccinaucinihilipilification" is longer :)

Having that tattooed on you would be quite interesting!

12. Lael_TG

Lael_TG Well-Known Member

If you can't decide what you want permanently done to your body, why do it?

I would definitely try to think of something meaningful rather than something off-the-shelf or that someone else came up with :)

13. lordkovacs

wow, never heard that one. Meaning? Origin? obviously greek...

cheers, MK

14. UnkindLoving

To just about everyone who said it- i Know what i want for the mostpart. The only trouble im having is finding words that are meaningful as well as 'pretty' written. I'm a 17 year old in highschool- they dont give us many amazing words lol.
    The basis of this mainly was to gather words from people that they really enjoy both written and in meaning.

It's not that i dont know what i want really- i just want a wide range of words to choose from so that i dont just go with some basic ones that *i* know.

15. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Sounds like you really just need to peruse a dictionary... and as far as "pretty" written, that's all about the font and the style.

Here is a font site: http://www.dafont.com/top.php?nb_ppp_old=10&page=1&top=1&text=Veritas&nb_ppp=10&classt=alpha

That lets you see a word or phrase in many fonts.

16. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

you need to go with the basic ones that you know. That's how you know they're really you. If one of the suggested words sounds cool to you, take 6 to 12 months to think about it and see if it still strikes you as "your" word before you decide to get it permanently etched on your body. There are dozens of words that I would have considered cool tatoo choices a seventeen-year-old that I would cringe to think of now.

17. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Do what you want, it's none of my business, but I strongly suggest that you don't get a tattoo right now. You are not ready. Wait at least 5 years.

18. UnkindLoving

A dictionary is what i intend to do when i can get my hands on one. Happens to be the one thing we dont have in this house.
    It's not fully about font and style though- but thankyou greatly for the site. :).
    There are just some words that are very ugly to look at. I write poetry so i, obviously, dont like to deal with many "ugly" words. You'd also think that id have a wider range of words i could use through that, but i write about things that are out of character.
    -----------------------------

Guava : youre quite right, actually. I think one of my other main problems is that i forget words that strike me. I've tried dealing with dictionary.com over the past few days- but thats only good if you have a precise word youre looking up. I've even attempted the thesaurus (sp?) on the site, but thats difficult in itself because i still need to have an idea of a word to gather other words from.
    Currently im just in the process of making lists of words and going over them. Seeing which ones i would really want to have on me and which ones i just dont get enough from.

19. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Holy cow... no offense but what about online??!!??!!??

There are countless online dictionaries.... start with Dictionary.com for starters....

20. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

Tattoos in foreign languages confuse me. Why is the same word in a language you don't speak better to get in ink than a word you actually understand? I mean, I know it's exotic and all, but there are lots of cool words in English, too.

I'd get "INSPECTED BY #45"