1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I have a messed up idea

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by iceweaselsarecool, May 12, 2006.

?

What do you think of my supplement free transformation idea?

1. Great Idea

61.3%
  2. Ok Idea

22.6%
  3. Dumbest Idea ever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Who cares ya big galoot?

16.1%
  1. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

I'm not using supplements. What if I continue to not, and have a great transformation supplement and drug free. It might be a cool way to show people that you can do great things with just diet and excersize, and that you don't need products to do it.

Don't be scared by the public poll. I'm genuinely curious as well as thick skinned, so no grudges will be held::D:

2. tree

tree Well-Known Member

some people like them, others don't.

what ever works for you

3. Mr_Potato_Head

Mr_Potato_Head Well-Known Member

What do you mean by suplement? Are you including things like whey protein? For me personally I couldn't do it without whey, I have a hard time getting the right amount of protein.

4. iceweaselsarecool

Yes, I would include whey protein. By supplements I mean what most people mean when they talk about supplements. Protein powders, creatine, fat burners, things that typically come as a pill or a powder, as opposed to "Real food."

5. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Can it be done??
    ABSOLUTELY!
    :tucool:

6. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

Do it. Great idea! :D

I know you'll have just as much success as your dedication and diet allow. Supplements are insignificant compared to those other 2 aspects. :tucool:

7. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    And how do you know what the "right" amount is?
    I seem to be getting the "right" amount of protein to meet my goals; between 50 and 100 grams a day.

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Aren't you 100% supplement-free Guava?

I dig protein powder 'cause it's cheap and easy and I don't seem to get sick of it. Don't have any other supplements I can't do without.

M@

9. mrgrieves

mrgrieves Well-Known Member

How is whey protein not a "protein powder"?

10. TheChop

TheChop Well-Known Member

There's a very fuzzy distinction between supplement and food one which I honestly don't really see. Is flaxseed oil a supplement? Is an Omega 3-6-9 oil a supplement? There's nutritional value to them but they're what a lot of people might consider a "pill or powder". Surely flaxseeds are natural foods and processing them into oil is not different than natural peanut butter.

I just drank a whey protein shake that was made from milk. If it's a supplement then is cottage cheese a supplement? Both are taking a natural food and then processing them into another form. Even something like creatine which seems more clear cut is naturally occuring in meat. It's really a trace amount but it's there.

I'm all for you doing this. :claplow: I personally just don't see the distinction you do. You know that this is what your body needs so you find a way to give it just that.

11. iceweaselsarecool

It is a protein powder, sorry if I was unclear.

I find the "Fuzzy line" argument interesting. Yes it's true that the difference between food and supplement is not always clear.

12. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I hadn't really thought of it that way before now.

I don't use any supplements (except a multivitamin if I'm having an off day), but it's not because I'm against the use of supplements. It's mostly because I'd rather be creative in my food options (eg. flax seeds sprinkled over oats), but also because I find that the less a food is processed the more friendly it is on my budget.

I'm not saying my protein amount is the "right" one either, but it's working for me. I think too many people are "going by the book" without varying their macronutrients and meal timings to find what works best for them. I quite often only eat four times a day; it's against the "rules" but it's most convenient for me.

13. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Up until about 2 weeks ago when I started using BCAAs, I hadn't touched any supplements in well over a year. Didn't change my progress at all. However, even when I did use supps, it was only whey protein and dextrose.

14. HeavyGuy

HeavyGuy Well-Known Member

Although our distinction between supplements and food is different, I've been doing the same thing. I just didn't announce it. I'm trying to avoid getting caught up in all of the supplement talk that takes place here and in other locations throughout the web on fitness websites. To me, it's important to demonstrate to both myself and new people that there is no need to invest in magic stacks and supplements that advertise massive benefits for money. It's not that I don't believe they help, as many people I trust here use them extensively and the results these people get are obvious. I just question now and then whether the credit given to the various supplements should be given more to the person taking them than the product itself.

All too often I see new people come on board asking "Where do I start?" and getting replies about investing in supplements and online trainers right off the bat. Again, both of those solutions have their merits, and I'm not saying I won't do either of those in the future, but I'm not sure how appropriate those suggestions are to newcomers in their first thread. That's only my personal opinion however, and I hope I don't offend anyone with it.

I do use whey powder though, as I just consider it food. I use it sparingly, however it is cheap protien when compared to some other sources. Since it is just protien, transformations can most definately happen equally as successfully without it. I'm happy to see you taking it a step further and using only whole food in your nutritional plan. I think it will set a good example.

Cheers,
    Heavy

15. TheChop

TheChop Well-Known Member

I'm reminded of the post we'll get everyonce in awhile asking "Will whey protein help me gain muscle?" The problem is one of education. I'm a huge fan of baseball and the steroid debate or the steroid issue over there is one where the general public's complete lack of understanding shines through. I don't know a lot about steroids but I do know more than the average guy yelling for Bonds' head. Fans consistantly show that they believe steroids will allow you to take them and then boom you've got muscles. I believe a lot of new people and even experienced people have the idea that the only reason to take creatine or what have you is to a) build muscle or b) cut fat or both at once.

The truth is the body is a complex organisim and what I take (as dictated by Swole and therefore I can't discuss details) is done because each has a specific and narrow function to compensate or counteract reactions in my body that would be counter to my goals. I use them to push my body to perform and construct itself in a way that is not "natural". The OP will be on a diet that is just as "unnatural" it will simply be within certain boundaries that he has outlined for himself. It begs the question "What is natural?" and there is no easy and real answer for that due to our primitive backgrounds as animals.

16. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

My supplements:

Protein powder
    Fish Oil
    Greens+

Supplments help me if i had to cook 6 meals a day i would of quit that method more then likely.

Everyone should be taking fish oil IMO.

17. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

There is no reason you are required to use supplements. I see people who only have some dumbells and no bench, talking about buying a month's supply of the latest super shit at $49 a cannister. I never see the results in their pictures.

A clean balanced diet is all you need and pumping good hard iron.:tucool:

18. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Give it a shot...whats it gonna hurt?

19. HeavyGuy

HeavyGuy Well-Known Member

At least that is what it said on the label.. :neener:

Cheers,
    Heavy

20. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Label? What label?