1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

I had to post this

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Sent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. trogdor

trogdor Well-Known Member

That's really great insight, modmaven.

I think there's more to it. Women lifting 3 lb. weights aren't making themselves stronger, in the long run, they are getting smaller AND weaker. While not consciously doing it, they are making themselves more dependent physically, rather than being strong and independent, like Queen Gorgo on 300. "You will not enjoy this", "Only Spartan women give birth to real men." etc.

2. Lola

Lola Active Member

Hi there!
    I'm very new here and I'm mainly reading alot and learning.....but I had to say something. My brother is involved in the music industry and I've met alot of celebrities through him and I've heard alot of the background stories that the public is not supposed to hear about, and I know for a fact that most of the actresses and singers that are famous literally do nothing but starve themselves and the rest starve themselves then hit the gym without eating much all day. Then you see them in an interview and they say they eat 2000 calories a day and are just naturally thin! lol It's soo frustrating!!!

Also, I think it's interesting that this trainer is the same person who trains Madonna.... and madonna is cut! Just makes me wonder what's really going on.....

3. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

4. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

5. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

6. vertigo88

vertigo88 Active Member

that's ridiculous

7. SweetPea

SweetPea Well-Known Member

I also believe people want different types of bodies - there are many people who do not like muscular. I think low weight low cal works for some. Maybe we are being just a little too harsh.

8. Medusa

Medusa Active Member

I realize different people want different bodies, but for the trainer to say "No woman" should lift more than this is prepsterous and insulting! Besides, as the first poster pointed out, we'd have to do next to nothing to avoid lifting more than 3 pounds including not lifting our own kids. Two of my friends both joked upon hearing this, that a bag of sugar weighed more than that!

And truthfully, you won't necessarily get really bulky from lifting more than this, either. One of my sisters lifted over 100 pounds (don't recall how much anymore, but she could squat and bench press more than this, I know), and she was toned, and had definition, BUT she was not bulky.

My sister is one of my fitness role models. I personally liked the way she looked, and I also admired her strength. Isay if women want to be really bulky, there's nothing wrong with it as long as you're still healthy, but I personally don't like an extreme amount of bulk on men or women. Although I am fine with more on women than many women and men would like. However, as I said, my sister was toned and defined, but not bulky at all. She didn't look like a body builder (not saying that's a bad thing), but she did look like she worked out. I want to at least be able to do 100 pounds by the time I get to where I want to be strength wise. I want to look better, but I also want to feel better, be healthier....and well, I want to be a strong woman.

One of my friends said she was able to press 300 with her legs in the past. She's still really strong and lifts way more than 3 pounds, and she isn't even in training. I told her, she's my new role model!