1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

I got a rash after eating ham...

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Victoria35, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Victoria35

Victoria35 Active Member

And it is getting worse. I am going to go buy some benadry right now as it is intense and spreading all over!!!!!!!!!:mad:
    It started several hours after eating it.

Has anyone else experienced this???

This has never happened to me before. I last ate ham with no side effects 3 months ago.

Victoria

2. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

Are you ok now? I guess you didn't eat anything else-- are you sure it was the ham? Was there anything else you ate around that time?

You can develop a food sensitivity at any time. Sometimes sulfites in foods will do that.

I've had a variety of issues with food-- I've been tested for food allergies, and none turned up, but I do have an oral allergy syndrome. Sometimes I thought it was meat, or some combination, but it turns out it was always that I also ate vegetables that were similar to a plant I was allergic to.

I would check with a doctor, because a rash caused by food is not good!

I hope you're ok!

3. Victoria35

Victoria35 Active Member

Butterflyer...

I've taken two doses of benadryl.....it is sill very itchy and spreading....the hives, that is.

I ate turkey ham...never tried turkey ham before..that is the only thing different I ate. As far as I know, I have intolerances to food, but not allergies.

If it is not better by tomorrow, I am going to the doc. Like I said, this is very strange to me. I may go anyway and get tested. Thanks for your advice!

V

4. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

What kind of ham, deli...or fresh?

If deli, it could be a reaction to the preservatives.

5. SanFran_E

SanFran_E Active Member

Some people are allergic to sulfites, which may be in the preservatives used in the food you ate. Certain types of wine as well as some dried fruits contain sulfites as well. For many, the symptoms are usually itching hives.

It's best to consult a medical professional about this, though.

E.